carat
color
clarity

chunky rope question

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
hi all!

I know some of you have some Tahitian ropes. I, sadly, do not have one in my near future, but I have different rope in the works, and I am wondering what length I need. I think some of the larger Tahitians I have seen on here would wear and feel similar to the pearls I am using. I want to be able to do this 4 strand look. The pearls are 13mm-10mm. What do you think?

_7437.jpg

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jenncent,

What length of necklace would you usually wear to have it come up to the base of the neck? Because of the size of the pearls, one circumference will wear about 1 inch shorter (x4) than the length when measured out straight. Those big juicy pearls take up room inside the circle! Just my thoughts on how to estimate~

The clasp and knotting will add a few inches. so if you have 4 strands of pearls @ 16 inches, that gives 64 inches, clasp and knotting adds approx 3 inches for 67 but subtract 3-4 inches because the pearls are so large brings the length back down. Plus a bit less if you set aside 2 choice pearls for earrings~so you might need a few more pearls than the 4 strands~

The look will be amazing, and I find my longer ropes, though weighty, are a pleasure to wear!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with what Pattye suggested ~ she knows her pearls! Can't wait to see your finished necklace :twirl:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely go for more than less. You can always subtract a couple of pearls if it's not sitting right but it's harder to add pearls!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
My 50 inch Tahitian rope goes around my neck three times, but loosely. I agree with Pattye that you should keep two choice pearls for earrings. I wish I'd done that with my Tahitian rope -- and my Hanadama 26" necklace. The Tahitians will be quite difficult to match and the Hanadamas will cost an arm and a leg for just two more perfect large pearls. The necklace would have been perfect two pearls shorter... live and learn!

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
yes! Sorry for being tardy. ;-)

I am leaning longer I think. I have all 4 strands set aside, so I just need to pay for them all now, lol. I have a necklace on the way that is 18.5" with the same size pearls, so that will help me. I hope I do not need to buy a 5th strand because it is getting silly, lol. The 4 are about 17", and 2 pearls are already set aside for earrings. That is 68"... that should be enough. Right? I guess it depends if I have a large neck.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, those are large pearls... do you want them wrapped around your neck, or at the base of the throat, or wrapped lower than base of throat...? I just want to make sure you don't feel choked or constricted in any way! (When I chose the measurement for the smallest section of my 144" white freshwater rope I had intended for it to wrap around my wrist 3 times and I was way off in the too-short direction! I hadn't accounted for how much room the pearl circumferences would take from the measurement.)

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mrs. taylor|1372128233|3471764 said:
17 inches without the clasp?

about. She has some unstrung, so no knots, and 16-16.5" is the average. So with knotting, she think 17", each.

I don't want them so snug on my neck it feel like I may break the strand, lol. But 4 times around, I want the bottom layer at the very base of my neck, near my collar bone. The rest can go up from there. I do not fee choky easily, but I need to be able to breathe and move, so the pearls need some movement I guess too.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Breathing is good and highly recommended for humans. Keep us posted! Exciting!

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
haha, yes! Suffocation for the sake of accessories would be a new level for me. I do want this look though, regardless of how heavy it will be, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results