shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Clasp - Jeweler says it can't be repaired, and ideas?

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I had an eBay store about 10 years ago but I got sick and had to close it down. I thought I had gotten rid of everything but I found a bunch of stuff I had stored in tackle boxes in the back of my closet. Jewelry was all new to me then and still is since I didn't get a chance to really get into it. But I bought a lot of estate lots back then so you don't always know what's in them.

I found several stands of pearls in the tackle boxes. They all have 14K gold clasp but this one is broken. I took it to the jeweler and he said he can't fix it. Are these worth it to replace the clasp? How can you tell if the pearls are real? Some of them have gold wire wrapped around the string, why is that? And is there a site you can buy replacement clasp? Thanks so much for any help you can give me. ~d

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1364657489.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1364657506.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1364657522.jpg

naria

Shiny_Rock
Re: Broken Clasp - Jeweler says it can't be repaired, and id

They look like died freshwater pearls to me. These appear to have nice luster. I'm not certain I would spring for gold though if I were going to repair the pearls since these tend to be more of a fashion piece. A vermeil clasp would an economic alternative that are easy to find in bead stores so you could even do the work yourself.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed, dyed freshwater pearls. Not high end pearls, but pretty enough. Are you planning to wear them or sell them? If selling, you will not want to invest much in them. Attaching a new clasp would require restringing them, and unless you do it yourself, it will not be worth what you would have to pay to get it done.

Certainly a less expensive replacement clasp would suffice. Sell the broken clasp for its gold value!

The gold wire you described is called "French wire" and is used to protect the silk near the clasp. It comes as a tube of coiled wire; a little piece (about 1/4 inch) of it is strung on like a bead before attaching the clasp, and it gets pulled into a loop shape when the silk is passed back through the end pearl and knotted. But you don't have to use that if you don't wish, and for that matter, you don't have to back-knot. You could use bead ends like these: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/14-20-Gold-Filled-Double-Cup-Bead-Tips/689195?Pos=13

There are lots of instructional videos on Youtube for how to restring, if you feel like learning how and want to do it yourself.

You could also take it apart and make one long strand-- a rope. That is easier than a multi-strand item for your first attempt at stringing.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

From your pictures, it appears your female end of the clasp has come unwelded. I don't know if he can't do the work or there is more to the repairs than meets the eye. Pearls don't like heat and he may be afraid to harm your pearls. Either way you could have them restrung at your local bead shop or learn like many of us if you're up to trying something new. The French wire/gimp/bullion is the most secure way to keep the silk from breaking at the clasp. This is used by professionals everywhere for a secure and professional appearance. That is why you don't see most high end stores selling bead cups on their jewelry. The hole the silk goes though , knotted and a drop of super glue applied, is easy broken in no time especially if the pearls are heavy. Your dyed freshwaters are nice. I hope you enjoy them if you get the clasp situation rectified.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much. No I am not going to resell them. My MIL liked them, so I thought the jeweler could just spot weld and fix the existing clasp. I am going to keep them all and try to fix them all up. Is there a book you could recommend? I'd hate to bother anybody with asking what kind of pearls these are. One strand looks like someone attempted to restring them but did a horrible job. They are all the same size and look like a traditional stand. So I would love to learn how to restring them myself. There is another set that is on clear fishing wire that have large and small egg shaped pearls. So if you know of a book or website I can do some research, I would appreciate it. Thanks again ~d

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

NacreLover, I missed your post. Thank you so much. I am very interested in pearls and learning to restring them. ~d

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Oh good, PearlsandGems sent you to Pearl Guide. The Lowly Beaders Forum of PG is just what a new restringer needs for information on all sorts of beading problems and information. http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19
As you will see there are many ways to do the exact same thing. Using tools like a tri cord knotter, pins, awls, tweezers or just knotting with your hands.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for the info. ~d

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Sometimes at bead stores they have classes in pearl knotting.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you 4RanchGirl. I will look into that. That would be cool if I could find a class like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results