shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens when men try to do things all by themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been a bad girl and kept asking my boyfriend where my ring is all weekend.
11.gif
He finally caved in and told me what happened...

The ring was ready almost two weeks ago. The original plan was that we''ll have the ring shipped to NJ to alleviate the cost of the NY state tax (which at 8.25% is just crazy). We know many people who live in NJ, so I thought it wouldn''t be a problem.

However, everyone my boyfriend asked (including his brother) said they will not be home on weekdays to sign for the package, or they do not want the responsibility for it (I know, some friends). My boyfriend spent AN ENTIRE week looking for someplace outside NY to ship it to without any success. Finally, he had ERD send it to his office in Manhattan. Which meant about $1,000 in taxes.
29.gif

Naturally I was angry to hear this. Why didn''t he just tell me that he was having trouble? My best friend (who lives in NJ) is a chef and only works nights - she could''ve signed for it. My other good friend (who also lives in NJ) is still in school and only has class on three days/week....she could''ve signed for it. If those two couldn''t do it, my mother has tons of friends in NJ who stay at home - they could''ve signed for it and my mother could''ve picked it up.

So at the end, my boyfriend ended up paying another grand, had to push back his plans for his proposal (which he had originally planned for this past weekend), and he has a very frustrated girlfriend (me).

The good news is, he received the ring on Friday and said it looks even better than in the pictures Gary sent us, and he was almost blinded by its sparkles.
36.gif

FLgirl41

Shiny_Rock
The first part is a huge bumber and I am sorry to hear about it.

But the last part is awesome!!! Yeah for sparkley things!!!!
30.gif

I hope the you don''t have to wait long to see it!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO CLOSE, JenStone! Your poor guy, seems like he was just trying to handle it himself. He tried
2.gif

Congratulations on a VERY VERY SOON PROPOSAL!!!
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. Men. geez. If it makes you feel better my fiance does all kinds of dumb things like that.

Such as last week! He is in CA for the summer (we''re grad students and he has a lucrative internship there) and I am still in Wisconsin. He''s coming to visit and wanted to book his flight. Without telling me, he booked it because he thought he found a "deal". The problem? He''s freaking flying into Milwaukee at 12 midnight! And I need to pick him up and it''s 1.5 hrs away!!!

He swore up and down that he looked everywhere and it was all he could find (it was also EXPENSIVE).

Sure enough when I looked less than 10 minutes after he booked it, I found literally 10 flights at better times, to MADISON instead, and for less $.

I just don''t get them!!!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 12:32:36 PM
Author: neatfreak
LOL. Men. geez. If it makes you feel better my fiance does all kinds of dumb things like that.

Such as last week! He is in CA for the summer (we''re grad students and he has a lucrative internship there) and I am still in Wisconsin. He''s coming to visit and wanted to book his flight. Without telling me, he booked it because he thought he found a ''deal''. The problem? He''s freaking flying into Milwaukee at 12 midnight! And I need to pick him up and it''s 1.5 hrs away!!!

He swore up and down that he looked everywhere and it was all he could find (it was also EXPENSIVE).

Sure enough when I looked less than 10 minutes after he booked it, I found literally 10 flights at better times, to MADISON instead, and for less $.

I just don''t get them!!!

Haha, this reminds me of our LA trip earlier this month....he was in charge of looking for the flight & hotel, and came up with some exhorbitant numbers. He, like your fiance, said that that was the best he could find. In just fifteen minutes, I found hotel & flight deals hundreds of dollars cheaper.

This kinda makes me glad we chose our diamond together. Can you imagine what he would''ve gone with otherwise?

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I also wanted to add...

My boyfriend saw that I was really bummed about not getting engaged this weekend. So yesterday, he said to me, "So I was thinking that we should really start looking at venues soon, especially since we''re planning on getting married next spring."

9.gif

So we started researching venues online right then and there, and even booked an appointment for this coming weekend!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, guys and traveling! My BF absolutely refuses to acknowledge that after several years of booking cheap, fairly convenient flights that I know what I''m doing. When we were in Spain I''d tell him the price of the flights I found and he''d never believe me that it was as cheap as possible. For example: I found a 2 night package to Marrakech from Madrid for US$400 per person, and then US$70 roundtrip from Bilbao to Madrid. He refused to believe that was the best we could do, and spent 3 hours searching for a better deal. Well, during that 3 hours the $70 flight got booked up and we had to pay $140 round trip. He was pretty sheepish and ended up paying the difference in my ticket since if we''d booked it when I wanted to it would have been cheaper (and he had significantly more cash than I did at the time). Even after that he refuses to just let me book things...he has to check out every option before we book trips together.
20.gif

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 1:50:11 PM
Author: JenStone

My boyfriend saw that I was really bummed about not getting engaged this weekend. So yesterday, he said to me, ''So I was thinking that we should really start looking at venues soon, especially since we''re planning on getting married next spring.''

9.gif

So we started researching venues online right then and there, and even booked an appointment for this coming weekend!
Yeah!!! That''s great!! Since he had to miss this weekend, when do you think he''ll do it (or do you even have a clue??)

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 3:47:20 PM
Author: Stephanie

My boyfriend saw that I was really bummed about not getting engaged this weekend. So yesterday, he said to me, ''So I was thinking that we should really start looking at venues soon, especially since we''re planning on getting married next spring.''

9.gif

Yeah!!! That''s great!! Since he had to miss this weekend, when do you think he''ll do it (or do you even have a clue??)

Well after we first bought the diamond (early this month) I asked him when he planned to propose and he said he wants to do it in June. Yesterday I reminded him that if he wants to keep his original plan he only has a week left and he said, "I know."

...But with guys, who really knows?
20.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 3:55:13 PM

Date: 6/25/2007 3:47:20 PM
Author: Stephanie

9.gif

Well after we first bought the diamond (early this month) I asked him when he planned to propose and he said he wants to do it in June. Yesterday I reminded him that if he wants to keep his original plan he only has a week left and he said, ''I know.''

20.gif
Aww, I hope he sticks to his plan...I''m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 3:55:13 PM

Well after we first bought the diamond (early this month) I asked him when he planned to propose and he said he wants to do it in June. Yesterday I reminded him that if he wants to keep his original plan he only has a week left and he said, ''I know.''

20.gif
Whoo!! Here''s hoping it will be in the next five days!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I'd be mad about the extra 1K too! But at least your bf tried to do things on his own? It's the thought that counts, right!?
3.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Jen! I hope the proposal is soon! At least you know he's thinking about plans for a spring wedding!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry things aren't working out exactly as you'd hoped. But it does sound sweet that he's trying! I know how you feel...my bf is currently living in New Jersey and is leaning towards having our heirloom diamond set in Manhattan since it'll be *closer* to him. (We met Mark and Gary too, they're great guys
1.gif
). He knows that having the ring shipped to Jersey will save him the sales tax but he wants to be able to personally bring the diamond to be set and pick it up himself. Although he's only paying for the setting I still sometimes wonder why he doesn't want to save a bit of money by having the ring shipped to him a whole 15 miles away, but this is his gig so he can choose to do whatever he wants.
2.gif
I know exactly how you feel, just on a smaller scale! Have fun looking at venues...that's so exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results