shape
carat
color
clarity

We''re going to move!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
Bf just told me that if all goes right next week, his job transfer to DC may happen in April. Now he knows I won''t move unless I have some bling on one of my fingers
2.gif
so if all goes well, maybe I''ll have a sparklie to post pictures of in the next month or two? I''m so excited!

Now we just have to figure out where to live and where I''ll get a job...hmmmmm...

We were supposed to be in DC this weekend but the client he was supposed to see had to cancel
8.gif
so instead we''re hanging out at his place tonight taking it easy. He''s reading and I''m online..oh what a fun Saturday night! We would of gone out but the weather is so nasty so we figured it''s best to stay in. As soon as he''s done an article he''s reading we''re going to watch a movie and eat popcorn and snuggle! I just wish he read faster!!!!!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! I hope that things work out and you have something sparkly in the next few weeks!! That would be so exciting!! Keep us posted and enjoy your relaxing evening!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like some exciting things in your future
9.gif

Sort of funny how many PS people seem to either currently live or have lived out in DC, hehe so you can always get help on pretty much any DC-related questions too when you''re closer to your move!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
That''s probably because the DC area has if not the lowest, just about the lowest unemployment rate in the country. They joke around here that it''s negative so it''s very easy to find a job here at almost any level. There''s a huge amount of engineers in particular. The DC area also emcompasses a large chunk of geography. We live 25 or so miles outside of the city and the suburbs now extend past here. Just be prepared for house sticker shock, whether renting or buying. Moving here from another area is usually a big financial shock to people unless they come from one of the few other high cost areas.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Squeaksluv, and welcome to DC. I''m about 30 miles out from the city too (I grew up in the metro area). We love it here -- close enough to DC, VA, etc. yet far enough that we enjoy a very rural community. The vast majority of people who live out here in Southern Maryland commute to DC, VA, and even Baltimore.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2006 8:29:24 AM
Author: Momoftwo
That''s probably because the DC area has if not the lowest, just about the lowest unemployment rate in the country. They joke around here that it''s negative so it''s very easy to find a job here at almost any level. There''s a huge amount of engineers in particular. The DC area also emcompasses a large chunk of geography. We live 25 or so miles outside of the city and the suburbs now extend past here. Just be prepared for house sticker shock, whether renting or buying. Moving here from another area is usually a big financial shock to people unless they come from one of the few other high cost areas.
Since we live in New York city I don''t think we can get any worse unless we were moving to San Francisco! Here a one bedroom apartment costs upwards of $750,000 or more. When we were looking at apartments last year we couldn''t beleive how much they were asking for the tiniest apartments!

We were looking at real estate online for Washington DC and surrounding areas and we saw some places that we really like. We''re thinking of Chevy Chase, Silver Spring, and Potomac.

Bf will most likely work eiher from home or from the office his company has in the city. He''ll probably fly to the NY office once a week or so. I''ll have to find a job though
14.gif
I''m looking forward to a new city though!

Thanks everyone!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in MD and live in No VA in the fastest growing county in the area (used to be the country) with the highest avg income. Cost of living is high in most of the area, but Chevy Chase and Potomac are very expensive compared to the rest of the metro. Chevy Chase in particular is famous for very, very small lots and older homes. In those locations, you're paying for the name. Silver Spring is not on par with thos two. Single family homes where we live are averaging well over $600K, closer to $700K and that's for a standard 2400 sq ft home on 1/4 acre. We built our dream home 2 years ago and have seen prices go up tremendously in that amount of time too. I mentioned cost of living because I have family inTX and they just about choke on real estate prices here and income levels. I guess no matter what you buy it will be larger than just about anything you have in NYC for similar money. Finding a job here will not be a problem as the unemployment rate here is next to nothing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting. You will love it there, I visit often. And you will have many PS''ers there to make you feel welcome. Good luck with your move and finding a great job. Sounds like the job market is in your favor!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results