shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentine''s Day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
So is anyone going to get dressed up for Valentine''s Day? Here is the dress I just got! I love it and hopefully my bf will too!!!
31.gif

blkflr.jpg

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We are supposed to dress up for Valentine''s Day????
25.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Your boyfriends take you OUT for Valentine''s Day? Hmmmm interesting concept - we''re gonna have a little chat when he gets home
2.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
29.gif
I would be dressing up if I got to see my boyfriend on Valentines day!!!!!!
29.gif
I dont know how he used up his vacation days so fast and I can't get out of working on either Friday or that Monday since I have to take a week off in March, what a mess! So we've just decided that our V-Day will be slightly delayed. Which I've come to terms with...convinced myself it'll be nicer, less crowded, no rush to make reservations, blahblahblah
20.gif
Oh well, as bitter as I made that all sound, I really am Ok with it. The past 3 have been awesome, so I can't really complain.

Anyone have any cute ideas for valentines day care packages???

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Since V-day is on a Monday this year, our tentative plan is to go out for a fancy dinner the Saturday before.

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
aaarrrggghhh - am I the only one here that tries to boycott V-day? I try to tell steve not to do anything but i know he will send flowers. I just had a thought, maybe I should start to celebrate the big V-day and tell steve that instead of flowers he can send DIAMONDS!

denverkat

Rough_Rock
Bah! I''ve already had my Valentine''s Day: The BF met me and some classmates the other night after work, and because not all of us had cash, he kindly footed the bill for all of us. How generous, right? No, the next day he says "Oh, my mom called to tell me that they want to buy us a nice dinner out on Valentine''s Day, so let''s just consider that the money to cover last night." Gee, how romantic! (This had all better be part of some elaborate plan to surprise me with a romantic proposal that night!- yah right
20.gif
)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOVE valentines day. I''m a big big sucker for it. I just bought myself some way cute v-day PJs and a bra and panty set with cute little "hug me" "kiss me" etc.. sayings on them from Victorias Secret the other day. LOVE it.

I don''t know what we will be doing that night yet though. Hopefully I won''t be working. Last year we went out for a really nice dinner.. Who knows if we will this year.. He says if he has a job by then he is gonna get me the diamond pendant that I want.. I don''t think he''ll get a job though.. We missed his window. He applied some places but he went back to school today, so he won''t bother applying anywhere else while he''s in school. Yes.. my fiance is unemployed.. His mom spoils him soooo much.. but I love him anyway! I always tell him it must be love since i stay with him even though he''s an unemployed bum..
9.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 10:15:53 PM
Author: palmbaybabe
aaarrrggghhh - am I the only one here that tries to boycott V-day? I try to tell steve not to do anything but i know he will send flowers. I just had a thought, maybe I should start to celebrate the big V-day and tell steve that instead of flowers he can send DIAMONDS!

You''re not alone--I''m a V-Day Boycotter, too. I think it''s sadly over-commercialized and it irritates me to no end that so many men I''ve known have thought it was okay to ignore/treat like crap/take for granted their girlfriends all the year long, just as long as they bought them flowers and chocolate on V-Day.
20.gif

I don''t like having the world tell me that I''m "supposed" to appreciate my SO on that one day. I prefer to let him know in small ways every day, than to make one blow-out effort on V-Day.

He, of course, thinks I''m a party-pooper.
2.gif

But usually for V-Day I am slogging through dirt, weeds, blood, mud and regurgitated alcohol at the annual Estrella festivities... weirdly, this year it doesn''t fall over V-Day, so I dunno what I''ll do.

We''ll probably grill some steaks.
3.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Love Valentine''s Day. My idiot of a boyfriend ignored Valentine''s day for the first two years we were together. He was 17 and 18 at the time so I''ll forgive him the fact that he crushed my little heart. On the third year, he went to this florist (we had passed it in the car and they had this cute display of cardboard penguins which I found cute) He begged the owner to buy one (they said they couldn''t because they had rented the penguins from a decoration store). Anyways, he pleaded and overpaid but the penguin appeared on my desk for Valentine''s day. It''s been there for 6 years, and was the sweetest present ever!

LA: What a dress! It''s so seductive!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Valentine "Halmark Holiday", or at least that is what hubby calls it. A holiday for the Halmark card comany to make money
11.gif

I've given hubby a valentine coffee mug each year we have been together and now there are 16 of them and they have their own shelf!!! I may part with tradition this year since he really doesn't care about it and there is no more room. If you are looking for baked goods, I received something from this company for Christmas and the cookies were awesome www.cherylandco.com . If you are looking for unique chocolate, check out www.moonstruckchocolates.com . I love Victoria's Secret but just recently got a Fredericks of Hollywood catalog in the mail and went to their website www.fredericks.com and they have some great things and really reasonable prices. One last item..... www.oldnavy.com has really fun valentine t-shirts for the entire family. I love Old Navy! Have a fun Valentines Day
emlove.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Dodgergirl: I love that dress, very slinky. :)

Blue824: That''s too bad that you guys can''t be together.
7.gif
But, all of the positives you pointed out are true, and it is just an arbitrary day.

Palmbaybabe: Nope, you''re not the only one. I think it''s overhyped, and much like new years eve, puts too much pressure on an otherwise normal day.

I don''t know what we''re doing - BF made "plans". I am a little concerned because I''m pretty heavy right now, having gained a lot of weight before and after a surgery I had in Sept. None of my cocktail dresses come anywhere close to fitting, and he knows that, so it had better not be a slinky cocktail dress kind of place.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Didn''t know if I should post here, not a LIW, but I like these threads and the VDay topic caught my eye. My hubby and I don''t celebrate VDay anymore, he hurt my feelings with it a few years ago, so I''ve boycotted it!

about 3 years ago, we were in college and living together when I got excited about valentines day. I went out and got him a little arrangement of things he would like (small gifts) and HAND MADE and cute little card with the talking candy hearts attached to it. I made a small little stocking (pink of course!) filled with chocolates too. I couldn''t wait to see what he was going to do for me!! So the night before, the 13th, he comes home with some excercise thingy for HIMSELF. To top it off, I found out that it cost almost 75 dollars (mind you, we were in college and were VERY poor at that time). So the warning bells start going off in my head. I thought to myself, ''self- if he is spending that much money on himself right now, he probably FORGOT about v-day tomorrow''. So I ask him,''hey, you do know tomorrow is valentines and you DID get me something, right??'' He turns red and gets all flustered!!! Starts himmen and hawwen. I''m like, YOU A**hole!! So later that nite, he says "I have to go run some errands" and its like 10pm already. I knew what he was up to. the next day, I get a small basket of (I hate to say this!) meaningless items, i.e.: a wide-tooth comb (apparently I had been complaining about mine), a new lighter (had lost mine), some candy, a cheap candle and candle holder, and some other little knick-knack. I''m like, ''gee-----thanks
8.gif
it showed no thought or caring whatsoever.

about 2 weeks later, I had to get some money and he said I could get a check from his checkbook. So I''m paging through the checks to get to a new one, and lo and behold, I find a check written on Feb. 13th for $14.00 at JEWEL!!! ( a grocery store here). To make it worse, in the memo section of the check, he had written '' V-DAY SUX!'' I was soooooo crushed. I couldn''t believe that 1. he had forgotten V-day until I reminded him the night before 2. he went to a GROCERY store to get my gift and didn''t even get me any flowers 3. $14.00???? 4. the "v-day sux" comment. so I told him I found that and said " forget anymore valentines days, it''s obvious you don''t care to celebrate it anymore". He agreed, and we haven''t celebrated since
29.gif

sorry that was so long, but I had to share!! men can be sooo thoughtless sometimes. I have another story about Sweetest Day, but I''ll share that later!! have a good day ladies
26.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, Irish Eyes... that''s harsh!!
7.gif
I think that would put me off V-Day too, if I wasn''t already.

Mine''s not a good story, I just never had a bf on V-Day (somehow, even if I HAD a bf, they managed to break up with me for a few days prior until a few days after V-Day
29.gif
) and so I decided it was a BS holiday anyway, lol. So the first time I DID have a bf on V-Day I was almost 17, and by that point, I wasn''t about to change my mind about it.

I do exchange cards with my mom, though.
1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
LOL I exchange cards with my Mom for V-day, too!

Last year Mom gave my bf one of those ''funny'' cards that had a boy and girl in love on the front. Cupid, in the upper corner, is about to shoot his love arrow.

In the background are the parents running out of the house - Dad is screaming ''Stay away from my daughter you little flying freak!''

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
I really have no feelings one way or the other about V-Day. I have no problems accepting flowers or chocolate since I am a big fan of both. One year my BF actually MADE a V-day card for me..it's a treasure.

BTW if anyone knows people with newborns, there is the CUTEST little V-Day soft cotton cap with hearts all over it from Old Navy. It's just 3.99. My good friend is due to have a baby any second now so I'm always on the lookout for cute stuff.

Re: getting dressed up for V-Day...hmm.. never really thought about that. I'm sure my BF would appreciate something sexy tho
31.gif
. May need to cruise down to Target for a cute bra set.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry in advance for taking up so much space!!!

I couldn''t resist posting these for all of you romantics
emlove.gif
A few years after we were married, I tore this "Dear Abby" out of the paper and put it on the refridgerator for us to see. One year for Valentines day, hubby typed them up and had them framed for me!!! It was a really thoughtful and romantic gesture, as the newspaper clipping was beginning to wear from age. Here goes, there is one for a Man and one for a Woman:

For Women
Be a Sweetheart

*Tell him daily that you love him (If you''re married, don''t ask him is he loves you, or he''s liable to say "I Married you didn''t I?")

*Never criticize him in public. If you must criticize him, let it be constructive and in the spirit of love and helpfulness, never in anger as a put-down.

*Don''t bad-mouth his friends or relatives.

*Keep him in mind when you''re reading. Clip newspaper and magazine articles that might be helpful to him in his work, or share amusing cartoons to give him a chuckle.

*Don''t invade his privacy. Every man needs a desk, a closet or cupboard to call his own. If it gets cluttered and somewhat messy, don''t try to tidy it up for him. (Nobody''s perfect.)

*If he eats - or drinks - a little too much, don''t nag him about it. Remind him gently that you wish he''d take better care of himself because you''d like to have him around to grow old and gray with.

*Don''t sulk, If something''s bugging you, talk it out and clear the air.

*Never give him the third degree about where he''s been (or with whom) when you weren''t with him.

*Never lie to him. If there''s something you don''t want to tell him, reserve the right to remain silent. But if you tell him something, be sure it''s the truth.

*Always keep yourself kissing clean from head to toe.

*Develop some interests besides him. The more interests you have, the more interesting you will be.

*Surprise him occasionally. A little love note taped to the bathroom mirror or hidden in his lunch pail or briefcase will warm his heart.

For Men
Be a Sweetheart

*Tell her you love her. She can''t hear it too often.

*If you like the way she cooks, or the way she looks, dresses, smells --- let her know it. You can''t compliment a woman too much.

*Never try to make her jealous. And treat her with the same respect and courtesy you show women you don''t know very well.

*In addition to remembering her on all the traditional gift giving occasions --- birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Hanukkah and St. Valentine''s Day --- surprise her with a little gift for no reason at all.

*If you''ve had an especially wonderful evening, morning after, send her flowers. If she works outside of the home (and it''s a 50-50 bet that she does) send her flowers to her place of business. She''ll appreciate it twice as much. Tight budget? Bring home a single rose.

*Be a little unpredictable. Walk up behind her and plant a kiss on the back of her neck.

*Remember, cleanliness is next to godliness, so when you feel turned on, turn on the shower and jump in.

*When you''re at a party together, never leave her alone while you''re off dancing (or being charming) with someone else.

*Tell her she is absolutely the most wonderful person in the world, and she''ll believe that you are.

*If you want to be loved, be loving.

*Be nice to her relatives, and they''ll tell her how luck she is to have such a sweet guy.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
ooh that''s sweet that dear abby column info...definitely somethings to remember when you''re stressed out and maybe not giving your s.o. all the attn they deserve.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I like Valentine''s Day, but there is too much pressure put on men to "remember" it and go out of their way to "impress" their lady. It is fun to receive sweet gifts, but it is not necessary. V-day is something that couples should discuss when they get together in the first place. Tell him what you expect of him, and ask him to tell you what he expects of you on that day. This will avoid any hurt feelings.

Everyday with your S.O. is special and we should treat everyday as a holiday. I know it sounds corny but it is true. My husband is leaving at the end of this month for one-year. He is doing his patriotic duty to this beautiful country. I am 100% percent a supporter of him and his mission. I know I will miss him so much; that is why we must make everyday together as special as possible always..because you never know when your world might be turned upside down and you will have to live separate lives for a while.

Many Blessings to all!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irish eyes, that IS pretty brutal...but it makes for a good story in hindsight.
2.gif

GG, I never had a valentine either until last year (and I''m 32). He was in Australia but arranged with my cousin to fill my house with flowers.

Still, I really don''t like Valentine''s day. Like GG, I think I wrote it off a long time ago, and I am also terrible at buying gifts under pressure (meaning a time deadline - I am much better at spotting things at random and for no reason). And now I have the perfect excuse to write it off..bf''s birthday is February 15. I don''t believe that we should sacrifice his day by him having to worry about Valentine''s day and what to do. Just like I think if your birthday''s near Christmas, you shouldn''t get gipped of presents!

Thank god his birthday isn''t February 14th though...we''d never be able to go to a good restaurant without some serious advance reservations! However, the 15th is probably totally in the clear!
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
IrishEyes, grrrrrr!!! Either you stick to that and never celebrate the darn thing, or he should surprise you one of these years with the valentine''s to end all valentine''s......but what an icky grudge you must have for V-day now!!

Erin, that cupid joke is too cute. LOL!!

I''m kind of ambivalent about the day. Was a bigger deal with college bf''s, I guess? My bf''s mom started a very cute family tradition--they send valentine cards in the mail to people--usually addressed w/ no return address in a disguised handwriting--and they''re always signed with "?" but the question mark looks more like a "
emlove.gif
" Then you have to look carefully at the FRONT of the card b/c hidden in the letters/picture/whatever is on there will be the sender''s initials. It''s cute--she does it for the whole fam, including me, and i''ve always liked that.

I guess I just don''t really want to put any more stock in ANY holiday again b/c of all these perceived proposal false-starts. Just to put it in perspective, here''s the gist of a card my dear bf sent me on a valentine''s. The front was like, Top 10 reasons I love you, and on the inside he''d written, "we are going to be together forever very soon. I know, you''re saying, yeah yeah, I''ll believe it when I see it, but it''s true. Hang in there, and I''ll make an honest woman of you yet....." Now, this was a very sweet and comforting and reassuring valentine''s message. And it was also what I received on Valentine''s day 2002!!!!

so needless to say, I''ve since learned about BOY soon, and I won''t be getting my hopes up for this year!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you guys agreed with me! Sometimes I feel that maybe I expected too much.....

Blueroses - cute idea!!! If I was to participate in Vday again, that would be a cool thing to do
face23.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
libster, that is like, "How to have a relationship between Mr. and Ms. GG"... simple, thoughtful, daily tokens of our love that is what I truly treasure about this relationship. I know we will work at never losing that. Thank you for sharing.
1.gif

FTLOD, how unfortunate that you will not have your dh with you this Valentine''s Day... but how grateful so many of us are for the service he is providing. Godspeed to him and may he come home safely to you for Valentine''s 2006.
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
FTLOD, I am copying GG b/c I can''t believe I didn''t mention this before--duh: THANK YOU for the sacrifice you and your husband are making for all of us. It is something no gratitude could ever repay. Thank you.
30.gif
30.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
GG and Blueroses:

I am sitting at my computer in tears. Not because my husband will be leaving in 11 days but for the gratitude you have expressed in this most trying time.

Many Blessings to all!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
FTLOD: It''s a scary thing, this war we are fighting, but most don''t really think about it until it hits close to home. My dad was almost shipped out, but his unit was chosen for a duty in South America, instead. It was a scary few weeks before the decision was made. My favorite aunt went to Saudi in Desert Storm and I remember my mom crying almost every night, praying that her only sister would come home safely. My aunt did intelligence, actually her job was to sneak into foxholes and eavesdrop on enemy transmissions, so it was scary!! Amazingly, she came back to us whole, but I know I was changed. Even though I was young, my perception of war, and deployment, became much more real. Instead of a vague dismay that random faces were being sent into danger, now it''s a very real pain, as I know exactly what their families must be going through. You are both in my thoughts. ((hugs))

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 12:33:38 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
GG and Blueroses:

I am sitting at my computer in tears. Not because my husband will be leaving in 11 days but for the gratitude you have expressed in this most trying time.

Many Blessings to all!
FTLOD,
The sacrifices you and your family are making for our Country are huge and I can only imagine how difficult. I want to THANK YOU and let you know how much I appreciate you! You are in my thoughts and prayers and we are always here for you!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
GG: Your family has also made some sacrifices. Times like these are difficult; however, I think that it is God''s will for my husband to protect this beautiful country..his birth country, and the one I have adopted as my home. There are so many great Americans, such as your family members that have served this country and I feel proud and honored that my husband is among them.

Libster: Thank you so much for the thank you. It does mean SO much. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. We feel the good vibes and benefit from the prayers so much. Thank you.

Many Blessings

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
FTLOD: *Hugs* You must be going through such a tough time right now. Your family''s sacrifice will be on my mind, and I hope you will at least have the chance to speak with your hon on V-Day since it sounds like he''ll be gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results