shape
carat
color
clarity

The December LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So I was thinking over the weekend, we should have a monthly small talk thread. Someplace where we can all say little things here and there that don''t really call for their own threads and converse with one another. What do you say?
28.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if everyone will go for this but I'll start! FF wasn't feeling too well on Friday night so we didn't go out to eat (as we usually do) Saturday he was feeling like crap and Sunday as well so I didn't see him over the weekend.
39.gif
I have been feeling a little something coming on but I think I am fighting it off. (my head is kind of fuzzy) I really hope I don't get sick because I asked for the week of Christmas off of work and I only have a few vacation days (as I'm at the new job) so if I get sick, they would force me to use my vacation days as sick time.
20.gif
Then obviously I wouldn't get to take that time off.

While I was sad not to spend the usual weekend with FF, I spent time with my family which was very nice as I haven't gotten much time to do that lately.
1.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea DG!!

Date: 12/8/2008 11:51:18 AM
Author: Dreamgirl
Not sure if everyone will go for this but I''ll start! FF wasn''t feeling too well on Friday night so we didn''t go out to eat (as we usually do) Saturday he was feeling like crap and Sunday as well so I didn''t see him over the weekend.
39.gif
I have been feeling a little something coming on but I think I am fighting it off. (my head is kind of fuzzy) I really hope I don''t get sick
because I asked for the week of Christmas off of work and I only have a few vacation days (as I''m at the new job) so if I get sick, they would force me to use my vacation days as sick time.
20.gif
Then obviously I wouldn''t get to take that time off.

While I was sad not to spend the usual weekend with FF, I spent time with my family which was very nice as I haven''t gotten much time to do that lately.
1.gif
I''ve been fighting off the same thing!!! I know your in CO as am I, and a ton of people I know either have or are trying not to get sick with whatever is going around right now
14.gif
...I''ve been drinking EmergenC constantly!! I''ve found a pink lemonade flavor that''s not bad.

I''m sorry that you didn''t get to see your guy this weekend though...It was probably for the best so he doesn''t get you sick.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, so it''s the LIW watercooler thread? Interesting idea, DG!
1.gif

Sucks that the two of you (DG and ams) are getting sick, and your boyfriend too, DG. I feel like this winter''s been especially bad for colds and flu (no stats or anything, just all the people who''ve been so sick already), and it''s not even technically winter yet! Crazy. Hopefully you''ll all feel much better soon.

My weekend was ok. Went shopping on Friday with a friend from work, which was really fun. But yesterday we tried to put our kitchen table and chairs together but there''s something wrong with them (the holes for the screws are in the wrong places), so now there''s a half-assembled, upside-down table in my living room and a half-built chair. We tried to make new holes for the screws, but the wood is too dense. The paperwork for the set says that the warranty will be void if we use power tools, who knows how long this thing will be sitting here. Bleh.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer! I hate getting sick! I''m a neurotic hand-washer, as I work with children...especially this time of year!

I came home last night from meeting up with a friend from many moons ago (she''s just moved into town and knows only a couple of people)...I promptly picked a fight with bf and then proceeded to cry off-and-on for the rest of the evening. Hanging out with her just made me so sad! She was raised in a very conservative home and has been estranged from her family for many years. About nine months ago (she''s due any day) she found herself knocked-up after only a few months with a guy. It took the guy a few months to decide whether or not he was going to stay with her...they are together, but, I don''t know, I just feel so sad for her! She seems to be doing okay and trying to make the best of the situation...But it was weird, I picked her up, but he stayed in the bedroom and didn''t even come out to meet me. They haven''t been together even a year and we sat drinking hot beverages while she told me all his faults. BF and I have been together 2-1/2 and I STILL don''t usually like sharing his quirks with friends because I care about him so much. I guess not everyone is like that...sometimes you just need to get things out and vent...Since they''re both new in town, neither have jobs and are living on her unemployment...with a baby coming any day...his family lives in the area, but he''s not close at with them. I guess I just feel so scared for her...I''m going to try to give her as much support as I can, but she''s going to need a whole lot more than what I can offer her!

Thanks for letting me share!
8.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies I'm glad you like the idea!

So Friday night he comes over and didn't really want to go out to eat. I said ok thats fine. I made some tasty chili instead. In the meantime, he asks me for a cough drop. I said "Why, are you getting sick?" No he tells me his throat is just dry. So, we usually drink water all the time. But I had some Sprite and I thought it might be good with chili. I only had one can so I asked him if he wanted to share and he said yes. So I'm like "in the same glass or seperate?" and he said same glass is fine.

So Saturday he calls me and says "yeah, I'm sick..." lol
20.gif
Oh turns out some guy at work was sick and he must have gotten it. "WHY did you tell me you were fine yesterday!?" I asked him. Oh, he didn't think he was sick so that's why he didn't say anything to me.

Right away I popped a zinc lozenge (supposed to stop a cold or reduce it) and drinking Dan Active to boost the immune system. I've never had EmergenC. Heard of it though.

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
37.gif
I like this idea.

Sorry you ladies aren''t feeling well, do get better soon!

I''m here at work and it''s draggin'' like you have no idea! Maybe because it''s my Friday. I work weekends and 2 weekdays off. Meh, me no likey, but I don''t have a choice right now.

There is a hold up with my ring and I don''t know how much longer I can take this! I am pulling my hair out! For some reason it wasn''t done the day that the jeweler said it would be... The saga continues... Anyhoo, what''s everyone watching tonight?

~SL.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome idea, DG!
36.gif

Maybe we could message admit to get this to be a sticky thread?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Dream, great idea! I always have stuff to tell you ladies but it doesn't usually warrant a whole thread.

Sorry you ladies are not feeling well. A lot people are getting sick (hopefully you aren't Dream), I'm trying not to be one of them as I am giving my cousin her baby shower this weekend and cannot be sick for that!!!

This weekend was great. Unfortunately I had class on Saturday and had a big project due. Thankfully I turned it and now I'm pretty much done for the semester. (yay!)

After I got out of class, BF and I went grocery shopping, came home and decided to stay in and watch a movie (we originally planned to get our tree) We popped a frozen pizza in the oven, and looked for a movie, only we couldn't find an on-demand that we wanted to rent so instead we checked our movie collection, where we realized we had a bunch of really great movies! I was in a trilogy sort of mood, so we watched Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring)...I forgot what a great movie that was and how fun it is to watch! Sunday morning we had the best of intentions to 1.) get an early start and have breakfast and 2.) go get our tree. The only problem was we were having trouble getting motivated. What did we end up doing? We had a really big breakfast and watched the rest of the Lord of the Rings--really just vegged all day! It was soooooo cold out that it just sounded like a better idea to stay in and cuddle--we definitely don't do that enough I realized! Its a lot of fun and very romantic.

But we didn't get our tree--which was my main project this weekend--so, now I am forcing BF to go tonight after work
31.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
DG, Fantastic idea!!!
36.gif
I'm sorry you didn't get to see FF this weekend and that you're not feeling well.
7.gif
On the other hand, yay for spending time with your family! I'm sending dust that your cold doesn't get worse. Boo on FF sharing a glass even though he thought he was coming down with something!

ams0124, geez, you're sick too? I guess it's that time of year. I hope you feel better!

Gwen, that's rough about the table & chairs--where are they from? Could you call the store or go by there? Does your winter break start soon?

Still_Waiting, I'm sorry it was sad for you to see your friend. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

SparklyLiibra, I'm dragging at work too (more on this below). I hope your ring hold-up gets resolved soon! We don't have a TV, but I'm guessing we'll probably download the new Top Gear and watch that tonight.

Elle, awesome idea to make it a sticky thread!

Bia, sounds like your weekend was great--I love weekends where you just hang out, watch movies, and snuggle.

So my weekend was CRAZY. We had our big fundraiser (a 5K fun run) this weekend in Portland on Sunday and one in another city 3 hours away on Saturday. I was out of town for the Saturday one from last Wednesday to Saturday night and then came back for the Sunday one. So basically, I was working 16 hour days from Wednesday to Saturday, then had to be at the Sunday one at 5:30 in the morning and now I have to work all week. Suffice to say, I am awfully tired this morning. On the plus side, both events were a huge success and all-told, we raised over $110,000!

We're still waiting to hear on whether we get to bring home the kitty we are trying to adopt at Christmas (the organization is dragging their feet on getting back to us). It's a volunteer organization, so I understand it, but it's still tough when they say they'll call one day and then we don't hear from them at all for a week and follow-up emails are not responded to. At this point, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
20.gif

K is optimistic about keeping his job since his employer announced they'd be laying people off because his department head thinks they'll be ok. He won't know for sure for another week or so, but it's looking promising (basically, his boss said that as long as they asked them to cut 15% or less from the budget, they wouldn't have to lay off any staff in their department. It also helps that they're currently under-staffed, so they can say that they will cut the un-filled position). I'm trying to stay positive about it and not think "what-if". My position has grant funding for the next 3 years, so at least we'd be ok if it did happen.

Also, last night K was getting into bed and accidentally tweaked my back, so it's sore this morning. Boo.
14.gif

Geez, I'm just a ray of sunshine this morning, aren't I? In slightly lighter news, we didn't think we had any holiday parties to go to this year and then last night we got invited to three next weekend, all on different days! LOL. Looks like our social calendar will be full. Also, two more weeks of work and then I'm taking the week off to go visit K's family for Christmas! Woo!
36.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
DG - Sorry to hear FF was sick.
7.gif
I hate when unexpected stuff like that messes up your weekend.

AMS - You're sick too? Bummer. I've been safe from illness thus far!

Gwen: Bummer on the furniture. I've had to do some seriously crafty manipulation of build-it-yourself furniture before. Sometimes pre-drilled holes are so off its not even funny. Don't people have to double check that stuff? Quality control?? The best is when we got a wine cabinet from target that says "TEMPERED GLASS" right on the glass, in white font. You can't scrape it off, nor is it a sticker. It's engraved in the glass.
33.gif

Still: Sorry about your friend's situation. Hopefully they can work through it. Sounds like he doesn't have much interest in her life, if he didnt even bother to come out and meet her friends. I hope she doesnt feel like she has to stay just because of the baby, that's never a good situation. Sounds like you're being a great friend, though!

Sparkly: Sorry about the ring hold up!! That sucks!!!! The anticipation can drive a lady insane!!

Bia: I love those weekends. FF and I were lazy this weekend, and our tree didn't make it either. We watch The Usual Suspects, drank a bottle of wine, and laid around all weekend.

LP: Ummm.. busy much?! My goodness!! I hope all goes well with the kitty!! I wish I could adopt a 3rd rescue, but I think 2 cats and a bird is quite enough for our 1 bedroom apartment. I get so impatient with adopting kitties, I always want to take them home right away!

Glad the job stuff is stable so far, people around me are dropping like flies at it's starting to get scary.

We only have 1 holiday party, and its a work one.
20.gif
We need more friends. LOL. Where is K's family located? Close, or do you get to travel a bit?

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, good idea! I''ll play. I have been kind of busy/frazzled/absent lately so I''ll just do a quick update:

- Got a new job and started last week. So far, seems infinitely better. I think I will be far happier here. However, there is a steep learning curve... it''s only semi-related to my education and previous work experience. Still, there is the opportunity to learn a lot and there are good prospects for the futuer.

- We are finally moved into the house, but it''s not 100% complete. Some finishing etc needs to be done. I am thrilled to be in a place of our own though! The primary downside is that we are without laundry as the laundry room is not yet tiled... which means a trip to the laundromat will be in order sometime this week.

- LIW-wise... SO suggested that I start doing a bit of casual planning (potential venues, etc). Which was actually a bit of a (good) surprise. HOWEVER: one of our primary issues is destination vs traditional. I don''t think we will come to a true decision on that one til he proposes so that we can set a date. I am thinking Dec 09 or Jan-Feb 10 if we do a destination thing.... maybe.

- I know a ring is not coming for awhile yet, due to money issues. Not a huge deal, at this point it is just a matter of when (and I do have a vague idea of when that will be).

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot my update, LOL.

- Currently helping FF go to college for the first time! We spent 3 hours last night reviewing algebra with him for his placement test tomorrow. I can''t believe how much I remembered. I thought I blocked out all of the algebra rules from my head, but apparently they''re still there.

- FF and I talked about potentially buying a house, but now after my thread in hang out, I''m worried it''ll never happen. Ugh!

- in LIWness - Talked about forgoing a big wedding last night, and using that money for a house instead. Engagement is coming is 2009 sometimes, but I don''t know when. Strangely, I''m quite calm about it.

- Classes are over tomorrow, then I have exams until next Tuesday. Then vacation!!! Woo hoo! Graduation in June!

- FF''s dad just lost his job, his SILs step-mom just died, and his SIL also just totalled her car in a bad accident (she''s fine, thank goodness!!). His side of the family isn''t doing so well.
7.gif

That is all from me!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone-

Well, it''s finals week, which SUCKS! I am working today for ten hours and it''s nap time. I have not been getting a lot of sleep lately and it''s not really working out with my wanting to study!

This weekend was busy for me too-On saturday my mom came to take me out to lunch and then we were going to go to the craft fair they were holding here at MSU, but my computer wouldn''t turn on, so we decided it would probably be more beneficial to drive to NOVI (ugh, far and it was snowing) and thankfully they fixed it right away! WOO HOO

Then I babysat saturday night and finished a project for my Teacher Education children''s lit 2 class. Then sunday I finally made it to the craft fair and bought these really cute picture frames and then this other frame that had a picture of flowers, but they were real dried flowers. I can post a pic later, if anyone wants to see it.

Then I went with my dad around 3 to lunch (with my brother and sister also) in Howell, there is this great irish pub. Then we went shopping at the outlets and coach was having a HUGE sale! I got a wristlet for 30 dollars and one for my sister that was orange for 28! I got one for my mom too
3.gif
because she always has fake ones and I wanted her to get a real one, finally. SO it was busy busy busy and i have a final tomorrow at 7:45 am! Who does that? It''s SO early!!

On a side, liw-related note,

me and my BF decided to get married in either 2012, or 2013. Which means I will most likely be engaged in 2011 because we want a fall wedding (september.) So that''s pretty exciting since we both agreed!! And my birthday is on Saturday, and i think my BF is giving me some bling!! Woo hoo!

Have a good rest of the week everyone!

goodfun7580

Shiny_Rock
Great idea DG! Sorry to hear that you and ams may be getting sick
14.gif
!

Gwen, I usually love to put together easy furniture but it''s the worst when the holes don''t match up or they don''t give you enough screws!

So far my month of December has sucked! I got laid off my job last Monday after I had been on vacation. I had a feeling that it was going to happen since our office has been so slow. But nothing can truly prepare you for it actually happening. Till I get a job I am helping out SO''s mom by sitting with his grandma who has alzheimers.

Then last night me and SO were at home and it was a nice night so we had the sliding doors open which lead out to a huge screened in porch. My kittens love to hang out there so they ran right out. About an hour later I hadn''t seen either of them so I went out and discovered a huge hole in the screen! Luckily I saw one of my kittens, Chip, just strolling by and luckily I was able to grab him but I have no idea where Giuseppe is! We searched for hours last night and this morning but no luck. I made some signs and posted them around the neighborhood and one person called me and said she saw him running through her backyard which is on my street so at least I know he is close by.

Ok enoughh of my bad luck! I hope everyone is having a good month.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 1:03:02 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Gwen: Bummer on the furniture. I've had to do some seriously crafty manipulation of build-it-yourself furniture before. Sometimes pre-drilled holes are so off its not even funny. Don't people have to double check that stuff? Quality control?? The best is when we got a wine cabinet from target that says 'TEMPERED GLASS' right on the glass, in white font. You can't scrape it off, nor is it a sticker. It's engraved in the glass.
33.gif
HAH! That made me snort out loud! You'd have thought someone would've noticed THAT.
37.gif

Thanks, everyone. It is annoying that it's not made properly. Oh well, guess we'll probably just send it back.

Ok, question to all--how much of your holiday shopping have you done? I haven't really done any (one gift for one of J's sisters) and probably won't until I get paid on the 19th!
6.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 1:57:59 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Ok, question to all--how much of your holiday shopping have you done? I haven''t really done any (one gift for one of J''s sisters) and probably won''t until I get paid on the 19th!
6.gif
Ehhhh....zero.
16.gif

I have decided to NOT use my credit cards until I have the money to pay it back immediately (had a situation last year
3.gif
). I will probably start next Friday. But I always start late anyway.

My problem is knowing what to get people
6.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I love the "water cooler thread" idea! Thanks, Dream!

I hope all of you are feeling better, or at least feel better soon!

Elle, thats so exciting that your FF is going to college. He''s lucky to have you to encourage, support, and help him.

I didn''t get to see FF at all this weekend. He is finishing up a huge project for work and he lives an hour away. I figured I''d just let him work without distracting him. Friday I just rented movies and hung out by myself, it was really relaxing and nice. Saturday night I went back to my hometown to hang out with some of my best girlfriends- it was so much fun and much needed.

In LIW-news. We had been waiting to hear about my FF''s job placement- and we just found out that he is being moved from Indiana to Pennsylvania. I''ll be moving with him, and will probably move out there in March. I''m lucky that I''m able to keep my job and work from home- so big relief! Anyway, he told me that we would be engaged before we moved and he''s already told his new boss that his "fiancee!!!" is moving with him. We''ve never lived together before, and always planned on waiting until we were married- but we also never planned on having to move to Pennsylvania! We''d like to get married in September 09, so its only for a few months! Very exciting news though!! We''ll only be in PA until June 2010, then will be moved to KY for a year, and then we can choose a permanent placement. Its an awesome job and training program. We''re so excited that he got such a fantastic job in this economy. Sorry for rambling, I''m just very excited! I think thats it for me!
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 12:09:10 PM
Author: Still_Waiting
I'm a neurotic hand-washer
Speaking of being sick and hand washing......so back in October '05 I got incredibly sick like never before. I was literally sick for about a month and a half. I became a sort of jerm-a-phobe since then. I think mainly because I'm so paranoid about getting sick like that again. I constantly wash my hands. Or at least use Purell.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:02:45 PM
Author: Bia

Ok, question to all--how much of your holiday shopping have you done? I haven''t really done any (one gift for one of J''s sisters) and probably won''t until I get paid on the 19th!
6.gif

Ehhhh....zero.
16.gif

I have decided to NOT use my credit cards until I have the money to pay it back immediately (had a situation last year
3.gif

6.gif

I''m actually DONE shopping - WOOHOO!! This is a first for me though. I''m usually still shopping last minute. But this year I vowed to get everything done early - by Black Friday.

I know what you mean about not knowing what to get people. When I''m in doubt I usually go for treats.. fancy chocolates or something edible!
Sometimes I''ll even give a nice hand soap.
For those hard to shop for people I always like to give something that will most likely be used.. or eaten!!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock

Ok, question to all--how much of your holiday shopping have you done? I haven't really done any (one gift for one of J's sisters) and probably won't until I get paid on the 19th!
6.gif
I've got the shopping done for my brother. For S (FF) I only have 4 things with about $26 left to spend on him. I usually get him so much more than 4 things but he wanted a jacket/coat that was $80.
20.gif
(we have a budget set at $200 to spend on each other) My parents I don't have anything for them yet. I've still got some shopping to do but I'm actually almost done! Last year I remember scrambling trying to find one or two extra gifts for S....

ETA- I almost forgot! He wanted these earbuds from amazon but oops I forgot to order them. Well, I procrastinated is what I did. Anyway I went to order them the other day but now they are not in stock
14.gif
oops.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:32:16 PM
Author: Namaste

Date: 12/8/2008 2:02:45 PM
Author: Bia

6.gif

Ehhhh....zero.
16.gif

3.gif

6.gif

I'm actually DONE shopping - WOOHOO!! This is a first for me though. I'm usually still shopping last minute. But this year I vowed to get everything done early - by Black Friday.

I know what you mean about not knowing what to get people. When I'm in doubt I usually go for treats.. fancy chocolates or something edible!
Sometimes I'll even give a nice hand soap.
For those hard to shop for people I always like to give something that will most likely be used.. or eaten!!
Thanks Namaste for the suggestions. I think those would be great ideas for my co-workers. But what about my brother? He just got married and seems to have gotten anything and everything he will ever need (in his life)! Any ideas?

BTW: I love your screename! It reminds me of a professor I had in college (I loved her!) who used to sign every email with Namaste...
1.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
I still have shopping to do...I''m about halfway done...FF promised me that we can go on Friday to finish. I love the holidays but I hate feeling stressed about gifts. The longer it takes me to finish the more stressed I feel...which completely takes away from the whole point of giving gifts in the first place.

So I want to be done this weekend....No excuses!
3.gif

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 1:03:02 PM

Author: elledizzy5

Gwen: Bummer on the furniture. I''ve had to do some seriously crafty manipulation of build-it-yourself furniture before. Sometimes pre-drilled holes are so off its not even funny. Don''t people have to double check that stuff? Quality control?? The best is when we got a wine cabinet from target that says ''TEMPERED GLASS'' right on the glass, in white font. You can''t scrape it off, nor is it a sticker. It''s engraved in the glass.
33.gif

HAH! That made me snort out loud! You''d have thought someone would''ve noticed THAT.
37.gif

Thanks, everyone. It is annoying that it''s not made properly. Oh well, guess we''ll probably just send it back.

6.gif

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
A;l of it except my dad- he kept saying don''t get me anything, don''t get me anything. Now all the sudden he wants an ipod touch! WTH? haha me, my brother, my sister, and my bf might chip in a get him one, my friend works at sears, and if they have them there I might get a discount! Who knows... I got my mom a lot of stuff this year since my parents divorce was just finalized last week. So far, I have only gotten my boyfriend one thing- the 3rd season of Entourage, he loves it. What else would be good? Our birthdays are coming up and I got him a drink mixer/tumbler thing, since we are turning 21, but he normally never asks for anything in specific! gah! SO i guess I have about two gifts more to get...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahah, oh dear...just wanted to share that I've had a very long day (well, week really, week and a half?) at work and need to unwind, so I took a bubble bath and got out a bottle of wine and enjoyed them together and now feel delightfully relaxed and ever so sliiightly tipsy. Only had one glass but I never drink, so yay.
9.gif

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 4:17:03 PM
Hahah, oh dear...just wanted to share that I''ve had a very long day (well, week really, week and a half?) at work and need to unwind, so I took a bubble bath and got out a bottle of wine and enjoyed them together and now feel delightfully relaxed and ever so sliiightly tipsy. Only had one glass but I never drink, so yay.
9.gif
What a great way to unwind!! I''m jealous...Could really use a glass of wine (or 2) right now...work stinks
14.gif
...Unfortunately for whatever reason drinking on the job is frowned upon
33.gif
3.gif

prettylnpink419

Shiny_Rock
I''ve done some shopping but not all.

My sister and I went in on a digital picture frame for my mom. I still need to buy her the perfume she wants.

I got a shirt for my sister.

My mom got me something to give her boyfriend (we don''t get along...at all...so she always buys gifts from me and my sister for him b/c she knows how much we dislike him!)

I got my Dad a belt but still need to get him a shirt.

My Dad''s girlfriend wanted the Invinceable DVD or the Sleepless in Seattle Soundtrack CD so I need to pick one of those up some where in my travels.

My BF asked for a few parts for his car...so exciting! Other than that...he hasn''t really asked for anything but I have a few surprises for him. (I''m not going to say incase he reads this.)

The gifts I''m stuck on are his parent''s and his brother and brother''s girlfriend. I posted about this before b/c last year I went super personalized and painted them each a hot chocolate mug with their names on them, made them ornaments and put it all in a nice gift basket with all different kinds of hot chocolate and teas. So now I don''t know what to do this year!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea Dreamgirl...but it''s a long thread to read through!!!

elle_dizzy, your story about your wine cabinet cracked me up. Who thinks to write tempered glass on a product?!?!?

I''m sorry everyone''s getting sick. I guess it''s that time of year, right? Right around this time last year I got bronchitis that lasted for about a month and I was coughing so much that I actually bruised a rib. Ouch!

As for the xmas shopping, I''m about 60% done. I am waiting for a list from my sister''s boyfriend (we don''t normall exchange gifts but I got his name for the gift exchange) and I will probably do some online shopping on etsy.

My weekend was pretty eventful. Friday night we went out for sushi and to see Four Christmases (Vince Vaugh and Reese Witherspoon). I highly recommend it as a fun, lighthearted holiday movie! Saturday, My BF, being the big nerd that he is, had about 7 of his friends over to ''test out'' PS3 games to decide which ones to purchase. We had a big potluck...they ate for 3 hours and then played video games for 3 more. I crashed at around 2am and woke up at 6am to run 14k in -20C weather! After my run I met with my sister to do some shopping at an Arts & Crafts show.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:13:11 PM
Author: prettylnpink419
My Dad's girlfriend wanted the Invinceable DVD or the Sleepless in Seattle Soundtrack CD so I need to pick one of those up some where in my travels.
OOO!!! OOO!!! I have that CD. I love it! FF gave it to me years ago. Also, I have the SIS tape but I asked for the anniversary edition DVD for Christmas. That movie has so much meaning to me....

Like, ok for example........FF and I did our first year relationship LDR so we talked online a lot and over the phone. We got this whole plan where on Friday nights we both rented the same movie and pushed play at the same time and talked on the phone (so we could watch it together.) SIS was our first movie we did that with. I really wanted to watch it with him. Then he bought me the CD.....down the road two years later he was living here near me but going back home for the first time (after being out here for 2 years) and I stayed behind. It was so hard for us to be apart. He was gone for 2 weeks!!! So then, I go to the airport to pick him up when it was time for him to come back. I'm there a little early so I go to grab some pizza to eat when what do I hear? A Kiss to Build a Dream On.....and then Stardust....and I'm thinking "OMG the SIS soundtrack is playing!!!" there was a Bose thing set up in the terminal that was playing this soundtrack. I could hardly believe it, it was making me cry! So thennn.....I go to his gate to greet him and I'm still hearing the SIS music when he got off the plane to see me. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. So memorable......This was about a week before 9/11 too..

Starry-eyed

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:18:28 PM
Author: sammyj
Great idea Dreamgirl...but it''s a long thread to read through!!!

elle_dizzy, your story about your wine cabinet cracked me up. Who thinks to write tempered glass on a product?!?!?

I''m sorry everyone''s getting sick. I guess it''s that time of year, right? Right around this time last year I got bronchitis that lasted for about a month and I was coughing so much that I actually bruised a rib. Ouch!

As for the xmas shopping, I''m about 60% done. I am waiting for a list from my sister''s boyfriend (we don''t normall exchange gifts but I got his name for the gift exchange) and I will probably do some online shopping on etsy.

That''s so funny, sammyj, I''ve also been thinking about etsy.com to finish up my shopping-- my parents are both artists and appreciate unique and handmade pieces. I was even thinking about putting together a gift basket of natural soaps and handmade sweets for my SO''s parents (his mother loves natural cleaning products and etsy is perfect for that.)

As far as the SO, I bought him a nice belt and a canister of his favorite tea for Christmas. I know it doesn''t sound too exciting, but he loves practical gifts and would much rather be given something he can use than a "surprise." I usually do surprise him, but it''s always with something he''s asked for at some point or another...

Speaking of which, I casually mentioned our earlier conversation about non-conflict diamonds successfully-- His brother is thinking of buying something for his gf from Tiffany so I nonchalantly said, "did you know that Tiffany carries non-conflict diamonds?" SO seemed surprised and said, "Oh wow-- well, I''m glad that''s something they take into consideration." I jokingly tried to figure out what he''s going to be giving me for Xmas and all I could get out was that it "isn''t a scarf." Ha. I figured it can''t hurt to put the idea in his head a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results