shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me I''m being stupid....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok you guys are probably going to tell me I am insane and to stop obsessing, but I still have to ask...

Are any of you girls who have or are getting a non-round engagement ring (specifically a cushion or asscher) bothered by the fact that it doesnt "appear" to be its carat weight? I know it sounds shallow, materialistic, etc etc, but the more I think about it, the more its kind of bugging me that while my FF is paying for a 2ct cushion, it doesnt look nearly as big as a 2ct round would.

I always new I wanted a cushion, and I ADORE my stone. But every time I see a 1.5 ct round (that seems big to me) and a 2ct round that looks sooo big, i think "WTF?".

These thoughts are stemming from the fact that we picked the diamond, and then custom designed the setting, but I never saw it complete. Now my FF has had the ring for almost 2 months! Its driving me insane. And now I am fixated on the possibility that I might hate the ring too. Its like....didnt I pick it out??? LOL But I keep analyzing it thinking I should have got a different stone, or I may not like the finished setting etc etc. I guess because I never saw it done, so I dont even really "remember" what it looks like! LOL

Tell me I''s just stressing and to quit it!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 9:00:08 AM
Author:NakedFinger
Ok you guys are probably going to tell me I am insane and to stop obsessing, but I still have to ask...

Are any of you girls who have or are getting a non-round engagement ring (specifically a cushion or asscher) bothered by the fact that it doesnt ''appear'' to be its carat weight? I know it sounds shallow, materialistic, etc etc, but the more I think about it, the more its kind of bugging me that while my FF is paying for a 2ct cushion, it doesnt look nearly as big as a 2ct round would.

I always new I wanted a cushion, and I ADORE my stone. But every time I see a 1.5 ct round (that seems big to me) and a 2ct round that looks sooo big, i think ''WTF?''.

These thoughts are stemming from the fact that we picked the diamond, and then custom designed the setting, but I never saw it complete. Now my FF has had the ring for almost 2 months! Its driving me insane. And now I am fixated on the possibility that I might hate the ring too. Its like....didnt I pick it out??? LOL But I keep analyzing it thinking I should have got a different stone, or I may not like the finished setting etc etc. I guess because I never saw it done, so I dont even really ''remember'' what it looks like! LOL

LOL, I''m not going to lie, it would bother me!
5.gif
I''m getting a trillion, so it will face up as large or larger than a RB, so I''m not dealing with the same issue, but I HEART Asschers and would LOVE one, but the size thing would bug me. Yup, call me shallow and materialistic, too, I guess. I''m not even the showy type and I wouldn''t even TELL people my carat weight most likely (and I think it is SUPER rude to ask, I have NEVER asked anyone!), but psychologically, it would bother me. Maybe the beautiful steps would hypnotize me into a calm comfort if I got an asscher. Who knows. I''m sure your ring is lovely, lovely, lovely, and you will be so happy to get it on, it will be all you think about. Plus, HELLO! you got a 2ct? Whooooooa baby! That''s hot stuff right there. You probably have NOTHING to worry about. And there are always RHR''s and upgrades!
31.gif

35.gif

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
It might bother me a little, but if you love the cut you picked, you will love your ring!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 9:27:35 AM
Author: kiett98
It might bother me a little, but if you love the cut you picked, you will love your ring!!!
+1

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Think about this way. If you change your mind and get a 2ct round, you''re always going to wish you''d gotten the cushion because that''s the shape you love. It''s a grass is greener thing.

A 2ct cushion, even if it faces up smaller than a 2ct round, IS NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT. It''s going to be lovely.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
You loved the ring when you picked it out...I''m sure you''ll love it when you see it again!!!

You''re just over-thinking things right now. Just relax and remember that this is your ring that your FI is going to give you...and it doesn''t matter how other people''s rings face up.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 9:00:08 AM
Author:NakedFinger

Are any of you girls who have or are getting a non-round engagement ring (specifically a cushion or asscher) bothered by the fact that it doesnt ''appear'' to be its carat weight? I know it sounds shallow, materialistic, etc etc, but the more I think about it, the more its kind of bugging me that while my FF is paying for a 2ct cushion, it doesnt look nearly as big as a 2ct round would.

I always new I wanted a cushion, and I ADORE my stone. But every time I see a 1.5 ct round (that seems big to me) and a 2ct round that looks sooo big, i think ''WTF?''.

These thoughts are stemming from the fact that we picked the diamond, and then custom designed the setting, but I never saw it complete. Now my FF has had the ring for almost 2 months! Its driving me insane. And now I am fixated on the possibility that I might hate the ring too. Its like....didnt I pick it out??? LOL But I keep analyzing it thinking I should have got a different stone, or I may not like the finished setting etc etc. I guess because I never saw it done, so I dont even really ''remember'' what it looks like! LOL

yes and no. My stone is only .57, but looks huge in some settings. i am concerned that it will look small in the new one. Also, that E is paying alot more for what we are actually getting. but then i just calm down and remember that E loves the setting and is the one who wanted to get it for me. so.. that helps...a bit
40.gif

Its tough. I think its the waiting part that makes it worse.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 9:41:50 AM
Author: Bia
Think about this way. If you change your mind and get a 2ct round, you''re always going to wish you''d gotten the cushion because that''s the shape you love. It''s a grass is greener thing.

A 2ct cushion, even if it faces up smaller than a 2ct round, IS NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT. It''s going to be lovely.

Bia''s totally right. Something drew you to cushions, and to the setting you chose, and that something just wouldn''t be there with a round, 2ct or not.

And my universal solution to ring-choice freak outs: there are always RHRs
9.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
As a HUGE fan of the asscher I totally know where you are coming from.

Unless you are talking to someone who knows a lot about stones, most people tend to focus on how the stone is set not how big it is (unless it''s a giant solitaire). I am willing to bet most people do not even understand what you mean when you are talking about facing up - period! People who know stones will know that an asscher or cushion will inevitably face up smaller but they will be able to clearly recognize the good qualities of the stone. It is very rare that I comment on the size of a stone - I look first at the setting and then focus more on the quality.

IRL I have NEVER asked someone what size their stone is (although thanks to PS I can eyeball them for the most part now) and I haven''t ever had anyone ask what size any stone I''ve ever worn is (mostly colored gems). The bottom line is not too many people will be asking the size of the stone and if they are, they probably know quite a bit about stones and will appreciate the fine qualities a good stone has other than just size.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know, I think of it like someone that spends 15-20K on an excellently cut D-IF 1 ct stone, vs someone who spent the same 15-20K on a well cut 2.5 ct I SI1 stone. All most people see is size... and how BIG it faces up... you know that different shapes face up differently... just like you know your diamond''s stats. You don''t wear a color clarity cut description on your hand, but YOU KNOW how big it is, and how nice it is... and that is all that matters. Just like the person with the D-IF 1 carat stone, knows that they have an excellent stone and are wearing the feel happy about... even if others will never know the color/clarity/cut of it.

I know you''ll love your ring.. .I think doubt just starts to set in when you are in wait. HUGE HUGS, and I hope your man proposes soon!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re just stressing out ... quit it! Listen, if it wasn''t *this* worry ... it would be something else. BELIEVE ME. Its the waiting that gets to you & your imagination runs wild. Like someone else said ... if you wanted a cushion & "settled" for a RB just for the teensy tiny bit of face up size ... wouldn''t you have always felt "what if"???? Why did I let my irrational greed for size tear me away from my true love???

I have NO IDEA why people are always comparing face up size to RB''s. To do that is to worry what other people might be predicting your carat size against. People are horrible judges of size & cut anyway! People call my asscher a princess more times than not. Only a rare few people can accurately judge carat size of RBs from a distance. Who are you trying to impress?

A gorgeous 2 ct RB would certainly be impressive to many folks ... but a gorgeous 2 ct CUSHION is most definitely MORE UNIQUE. Its all about what matters to you, and, m''dear -- you have already decided that. So chill & remember how much you loved all the elements of your dream ring OR YOU WOULD NOT HAVE PICKED THEM.

9.gif
9.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:06:57 AM
Author: decodelighted
You''re just stressing out ... quit it! Listen, if it wasn''t *this* worry ... it would be something else. BELIEVE ME. Its the waiting that gets to you & your imagination runs wild. Like someone else said ... if you wanted a cushion & ''settled'' for a RB just for the teensy tiny bit of face up size ... wouldn''t you have always felt ''what if''???? Why did I let my irrational greed for size tear me away from my true love???

I have NO IDEA why people are always comparing face up size to RB''s. To do that is to worry what other people might be predicting your carat size against. People are horrible judges of size & cut anyway! People call my asscher a princess more times than not. Only a rare few people can accurately judge carat size of RBs from a distance. Who are you trying to impress?

A gorgeous 2 ct RB would certainly be impressive to many folks ... but a gorgeous 2 ct CUSHION is most definitely MORE UNIQUE. Its all about what matters to you, and, m''dear -- you have already decided that. So chill & remember how much you loved all the elements of your dream ring OR YOU WOULD NOT HAVE PICKED THEM.

9.gif
9.gif

Blasphemy!

2.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about that. I mean what could the difference is size really be face up? about 1mm. That is nothing and hardly anyone would notice that unless they were side by side.

Oh, and there are 2ct rounds that face up small. This woman I know has a 2.75 round that faces up smaller than my 2.75 EC. Yeah, her''s is facing up really small but really, it doesn''t matter. It is still big.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 11:06:57 AM
Author: decodelighted
You''re just stressing out ... quit it! Listen, if it wasn''t *this* worry ... it would be something else. BELIEVE ME. Its the waiting that gets to you & your imagination runs wild. Like someone else said ... if you wanted a cushion & ''settled'' for a RB just for the teensy tiny bit of face up size ... wouldn''t you have always felt ''what if''???? Why did I let my irrational greed for size tear me away from my true love???
9.gif
9.gif
What she said.

Vani

Rough_Rock
You''re not being stupid, just possibly a teensy bit obsessive
2.gif
Remember why you chose a cushion cut in the first place - they are BEAUTIFUL and have a totally different "look" than rounds, even to the untrained observer.

I''m willing to bet that once it''s on your finger, you''ll wonder what you were stressing about...

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I have a 1.08 cushion and I don''t see any real difference in size when looking at my friends'' rounds of the same carat weight.
You have to remember that CUT is the most most important "C" for a reason. A well-cut diamond will bounce around more light and cause your diamond to appear bigger than poorer cut diamonds around the same size. And since the average person thinks that "cut" refers to "shape", there are a lot of dull diamonds out there. So while your diamond may appear a tad smaller than someone with a Whiteflash ACA round, it will appear the same size (or bigger) than someone who got a run of the mill diamond from Zales.

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
Hey NakedFinger, I have a 1.5 carat cushion and I swear it looks bigger than some 1.5 carat rounds I tried on. Actually, I tried on a 1.5 carat cushion (not the one I ended up with) and a 1.5 carat round on side by side in Fortunoff''s when I was beginning my search and I thought they faces up equally well.

But even besides size, I get a lot of compliments on my ring because it''s a unique cut, and I love that about it. It''s funny how away from pricescope nobody has heard of a cushion cut.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have an asscher. I have a RB. But I do know where you are coming from. When bf and I started looking at diamonds, i had originally wanted a 1 carat RB but after looking at them, I felt really bad having bf spend all of his ring budget on the diamond. I didn't want him to go over too much when the setting was included.
So we ended up finding a .81, H, VVS2, Excellent cut RB for $2000 (ish) dollars less than a 1 Carat SI2, I. I loved it as soon as we saw it and was so excited when we he bought it.
BF has the stone so I don't get to look at it that often. When I'm here on PS and i see all of these big 1/2/+ carat rbs I can't help but think "what if mine looks small?". Especially because I will be comparing it to the 1 carats I was looking at at first.
But honestly, every time he brings the diamond over for a "visit" I look at it and am in "awe" of how beautiful it is! It doesn't look small at all and I'm completely happy with it again.
I'm afraid that once our setting is made and the diamond is set and i wont see it until the proposal, i'll be even more stressed about it.

But i'm sure that once he pops the question and the ring is on my finger, my reserves will go away. I hope the same for you!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, this is just the not being able to look at the ring angst talking. I get it somtimes but for me it''s the colour, *is the colour as strong as I remember? maybe I''m remembering wrong and the photos are wrong and the colour is very weak and looks silly next to the white diamonds*

It is fine, It is just as beautiful as you remember it, you love it and all fears about the face up size will evaporate as soon as you get to see it again.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Honey, there are a couple of PSers who ended up going with RBs after having other cuts that don''t face up as big as rounds because the carat weight vs. face-up look really got under their skin, so you''re not alone. However, no one is going to hold it up to a 2ct. round, and how many people regularly see 2ct. rounds anyway? That comparison is ALL in your head! As others have said, if it''s the cut you love and within budget (hello, a 2ct. diamond is ANY shape is beyond the reach of many!), give it the love it deserves!
5.gif
Otherwise we might have to intervene to find it a better home.
27.gif
2.gif

mrm

Shiny_Rock
I love fancy cuts. I have a radiant :). I think it will look beautiful! If it makes you feel better, a two carat RB may look bigger but it would also cost more then a 2 carat cushion (or any other fancy).

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I think your cushion will be gorgeous. And, to me, a 2-carat well-cut stone in any shape looks big. I am sure your cushion is amazing and unique! I LOVE cushions...

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
You ladies are amazing, thank you so much! (sorry the the delay in response btw, wedding season is among us, so work as been CRAZY)

You have made me feel much better, as I knew you would
1.gif
And you all are right, it probably is the waiting and not seeing it that is driving me crazy!

Our anniversary is 6/1, so maybe thats it??? We''ll see!
9.gif

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I adore cushions!!! I have a 1.5 round and I love it, but my heart always goes piter patter when I see a chunky facet cushion!!! I think at the end of the day, you always want what you don''t have! The grass always seems greener as they say... Just appreciate what you have which I am sure will be a stunning ering with a 2 ct cushion no less!!! also, it might look bigger than you remember when you see it again!!!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 11:35:45 AM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
I adore cushions!!! I have a 1.5 round and I love it, but my heart always goes piter patter when I see a chunky facet cushion!!! I think at the end of the day, you always want what you don''t have! The grass always seems greener as they say... Just appreciate what you have which I am sure will be a stunning ering with a 2 ct cushion no less!!! also, it might look bigger than you remember when you see it again!!!
Same here. I love my stone. Love it! But, when I see all the beautiful cushions on PS, my heart skips also. Not enough to trade in my diamond though
28.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I had kind of the same experience, When I was shopping for a stone, I was considering a 2ct cushion, asscher and round. I went to the store, and the 2 cts round from the top looks so much bigger than the cushion and asscher, and that bothers me a lot, my DH told me, why are you worried so much about wich one looks bigger from the top if in real life this almost never happen.

I could not understand that, so I ended up with my 2.2 round, that I love.
9.gif
, but now, when I''m in the street, elevators and almost everywhere. I always tried to look at rings, and never get to see them from the top, sometimes i saw some really beautifuls cushions and asschers that looks huge from the side, from 3/4, from everywhere, and they just are stunning. Probably if i go and put my stone next to them from the top mine will look bigger, but that really does not matter, because wherever you go, people its going to see a huge stone from every side
30.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 2 ct cushion, and this has never bothered me. I think rounds are pretty, but they just don't do it for me, so it would have been a *huge* mistake for us to buy a round just for the face up size. My cushion does face up smaller than an ideal cut 2 ct rb, but that is so not what it is about.

For whatever it's worth, people compliment my ring nearly every single day. It may not be as large as a 2 ct rb, but it gets a lot of attention, anyway, and I think it's because it's a unique cut. (NOT that that is what it's about either, but I'm just saying . . . )

There will always be a bigger, flashier, blingier stone out there. To gnaw away at relative differences between your stone and others is to try to feed an insatiable hunger.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I would not worry about it much, either. Rounds are generally more expensive per carat because of this fact. Though it''s not a strict correlation, diamond pricing does also vary on face up size.

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
What is the cut like? If its a deep cut then it might look smaller than a more proportioned cut...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto
Date: 5/15/2009 9:36:51 AM
Author: audball

Date: 5/15/2009 9:27:35 AM
Author: kiett98
+1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results