shape
carat
color
clarity

Maple's Reset - Ladies Advice Needed

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies!

I could have posted this on the Show me the Bling thread but found LIW more appropriate as most of you have been following my engagement and reset story... so please do weigh in as your opinion and advice is needed!

As you all know I got engaged my my wonderful boyfriend of 3.5 years in April. He bought the ring six months before he expected to (apparently i'm quite the nagger :saint: ) so he didn't have all the funds accumulated and we ended up picking a ring under the original budget to make up for the early purchase. I found the 1.71 I color S12 diamond on James Allen and love it!!! To keep him substantially under budget, I went with the 14k white gold four prong knife edge James Allen setting.

Thing is - I wasn't 100% happy with the stock setting. I felt it didn't look substantial. I always planned to have it as a temporary setting and switch it out in a few years but I couldn't wait. My fiancee agreed to let me have a second setting and I choose the Brian Gavin Tiffany setting, but I paid a bit more to have them modify it from a width of 2.4mm to 2.9mm at the top, tapering down to 2.2mm at the bottom.

I got my new ring yesterday and love the profile, head and prongs! :appl: However, the width doesn't seem any thicker to me (if anything it feels thinner than my previous james allen setting :-o ). I went to Tiffany's today and put a 2mm knife edge and 3mm knife edge next to my new BG setting, the sales lady guessed my setting was right in the middle at 2.4-2.5mm width. At this point, she didn't know I was trying on wedding bands just to get an idea of the real width of mine.

I've included a few photos. Please let me know what you think! Am I going crazy or does that "2.9mm" not look like a 2.9mm knife edge?

Also, when I got into the office today the girls loved my new setting :appl: but all of them stated that it looked the same or thinner than my previous one in terms of width. One girl mentioned that the thinner band made my diamond pop more. My worry here is that my fingers are not thin so the thinner knife edge just doesn't look right to me. I love the more substantial feel (3mm) you see on the original tiffany settings.

So onto the pictures...

bg_bg_ja.png

bgtiffany_ja_frontview.png

bgtiffany_ja_profile.png

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Final measuring tape picture... looks like it's reading 2mm or just a tad over? :confused:

measuring_tape_2.png

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Quick update. I ran over to Jewelers row during my lunch hour - had a local place that makes custom rings use a more precise measuring tool and measured it at 2mm (at the top). Maybe a tad over at 2.1-2.2mm at the widest.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Maple! It definately doesn't look any thicker than the James Allen setting but I really love the profile and the prongs. It really makes your diamond look huge! I am sort of partial to thinner settings but I can understand why you want something more substantial. You didnt get what you paid for so I guess I would send it back or ask for a partial refund.

I cant get over how gorgeous your diamond is! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the new BGD one - it looks just that much 'more' refined and yet substantial (how do you do both???) but it looks beautiful on your hand! I suffer from the dreaded 'fat finger syndrome' that only the lucky get to experience ( :roll: ) and just got myself a tiny 1.8mm micro pave band in a size 8 - and to me, it makes my fingers look SLIMMER rather than fatter!!

I think the ring makes your fingers look longer and leaner, but you aren't happy with it being thinner than expected?? IMO - it really does make your diamond POP out of the setting, as well as make your hand look amazing!!

Its not as thick as what you paid for, but it sure looks very appealing on, to my eye.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't exactly see why a .something millimeter in width of a shank is so important :confused: I don't think it'll make a huge difference visually. It's like a hair. I think you're totally making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. But no, I can't see a difference in the shank (although I can say I won't see a difference with the .2 difference even if it was there), although I do much prefer the first 6-prong setting you had. It's a classic Tiffany-esque look. I love it. I wouldn't have reset it.

However, if you did clarify with BGD that you wanted a x size shank, they should have delivered. Call them ASAP.

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
madelise said:
I don't exactly see why a .something millimeter in width of a shank is so important :confused: I don't think it'll make a huge difference visually. It's like a hair. I think you're totally making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. But no, I can't see a difference in the shank (although I can say I won't see a difference with the .2 difference even if it was there), although I do much prefer the first 6-prong setting you had. It's a classic Tiffany-esque look. I love it. I wouldn't have reset it.

However, if you did clarify with BGD that you wanted a x size shank, they should have delivered. Call them ASAP.

Hmmmm Madelise, I think you might have misunderstood Maple's issue a bit.
Maple's original JA ering setting only had 4 prongs. She had her diamond reset into the BGD 6-prong setting. (BTW, I agree, the 6-prong setting looks amazing. Like you & others, I much prefer the 6-prong setting over the 4-prong setting).
The issue with the BGD 6-prong setting, however, is that it was suppose to modified to 2.9mm on top, tapering down to 2.2 on the bottom. However, what she received is a BGD 6-prong setting that is approx 2mm wide at the top (2.1-2.2mm at it's widest point). The "difference" is almost 1 whole mm smaller than what Maple was expecting to receive. That's the issue here.
Make sense?

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
antiquesparkler said:
Hi Maple! It definately doesn't look any thicker than the James Allen setting but I really love the profile and the prongs. It really makes your diamond look huge! I am sort of partial to thinner settings but I can understand why you want something more substantial. You didnt get what you paid for so I guess I would send it back or ask for a partial refund.

I cant get over how gorgeous your diamond is! :love:

Maple, I have to agree with Antiquesparkler. The BGD setting is gorgeous! I like the thinner setting. It really makes your diamond POP and look GINORMOUSLY HUGE! :lickout: YUMMY!
I do, however, understand your concern and slight disappointment. Ultimately, you did not get what you were expecting to receive or what you paid for. If it really bothers you, I'm sure that BGD will be happy to rectify the issue for you. I know it's going to totally suck to have to part with your lovely ring (& THAT BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND) yet again. If you decide to send it back, maybe BGD will be willing to expedite things and get your ring returned to you even sooner this time around due to the error.

ScorpioLove

Shiny_Rock
maple2012 said:
Also, when I got into the office today the girls loved my new setting :appl:
One girl mentioned that the thinner band made my diamond pop more.

I'm with your coworkers. +1, +1, +1!! (Yes, I'm voting multiple times in case that means anything!) :lol:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
mad I think maybe you just misspoke? From what I recall the 4-prong was the original stock setting from JA and the 6-prong is the new, modified version from BGD...

maple - I can kind of picture what you mean with the original Tiff knife-edge and how it is usually proportionally thicker. I think it looks fantastic as is, but if you aren't happy with it since it isn't what you asked for, I would see what BGD can do to adjust it to the width you asked for, but like madelise pointed out you may need a larger difference in width for it to be noticeable (i.e. go all the way up to 3mm from the current 2.4 or whatever it is). Is there a way you can have the shank measured by a jeweler or something first to confirm that it isn't the width you asked for?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, oops. :oops: Hah, I'm an idiot.

yes, I prefer the new one then. But still, I stand my ground as to not understanding why .2 (or .9) mm is a big deal. Blown up on a screen, we *might* see a difference. I just don't think it makes a big substantial difference visually norsecurity wise for the diamond. And that either way, regardless of how I don't understand, BGD owes it to you to give you whatever measurement you requested of them.

I effing love their 6 prong.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it - I've been going nuts with this and really wanted to get others opinions... especially PSers whose feedback I value very much! ::)

I am getting use to the width of the 2mm Brian Gavin Tiffany setting and I think I'm liking it. :shock: I didn't think I would like it but I paired it with a 2mm plain half round band today and really loved how it looked together. I also like the "light/airy" feeling it has - I don't feel that I have anything on my finger with such a thin width so it's pretty comfortable. And lastly... the more I look at it the more I think the thinner setting really highlights my diamond. :devil: It kind of looks like a floating diamond when I quickly glance down for a second. And who doesn't love floating diamonds? :o

I guess I always worried that a thin setting might make the ring look fake/cheap or like a CZ. :blackeye: However the prong work, head and profile on the BG ring really keep it looking classy and not cheap at all.

@ Madelise - I bet you wouldn't be saying that .2mm or .9mm wasn't a big deal if we were talking diamond width :D haha. Actually, I can tell the difference right away. When I tried on the 2mm and 3mm knife edge at Tiffany the difference was so pronounced to me and not only that but that mm size difference on a finger really makes a difference on how it feels while wearing it. That's my opinion anyhow and I'm sticking to it! 8-)

I'm going to have a final talk with SO tonight about keeping this setting and after we are 100% sure I will then reach out to Brian Gavin to request a refund on what I paid to make the modification on the width to 2.9mm.... seeing as they didn't do it.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
pandabee|1371766726|3469603 said:
Is there a way you can have the shank measured by a jeweler or something first to confirm that it isn't the width you asked for?

Yep! I went to a shop on Jewelers row here in Chicago during my lunch hour and a jeweler use a special tool to measure it (and not my measuring tape :bigsmile: ) - they confirmed it at 2mm... maybe 2.1mm tops?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maple2012|1371776750|3469697 said:
Thank you so much for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it - I've been going nuts with this and really wanted to get others opinions... especially PSers whose feedback I value very much! ::)

I am getting use to the width of the 2mm Brian Gavin Tiffany setting and I think I'm liking it. :shock: I didn't think I would like it but I paired it with a 2mm plain half round band today and really loved how it looked together. I also like the "light/airy" feeling it has - I don't feel that I have anything on my finger with such a thin width so it's pretty comfortable. And lastly... the more I look at it the more I think the thinner setting really highlights my diamond. :devil: It kind of looks like a floating diamond when I quickly glance down for a second. And who doesn't love floating diamonds? :o

I guess I always worried that a thin setting might make the ring look fake/cheap or like a CZ. :blackeye: However the prong work, head and profile on the BG ring really keep it looking classy and not cheap at all.

@ Madelise - I bet you wouldn't be saying that .2mm or .9mm wasn't a big deal if we were talking diamond width :D haha. Actually, I can tell the difference right away. When I tried on the 2mm and 3mm knife edge at Tiffany the difference was so pronounced to me and not only that but that mm size difference on a finger really makes a difference on how it feels while wearing it. That's my opinion anyhow and I'm sticking to it! 8-)

I'm going to have a final talk with SO tonight about keeping this setting and after we are 100% sure I will then reach out to Brian Gavin to request a refund on what I paid to make the modification on the width to 2.9mm.... seeing as they didn't do it.

Atta gal! It's ridiculously beautiful. Actually, for .2 mm, no I wouldn't care for the difference in a diamond. It was the same justification I used while comparing a F VS2 .7 next to a .9 of lower quality. I opted for the smaller. .9 mm difference? Okay fine, you got me there :lol: It does not look like a cheapy fake or CZ, girlfriend! You cray. It's beautiful. There's no way a setting can differentiate between a cheapy or a real diamond anyway. Have you seen have the things for sale on DB? They're CZs in thousands of dollars worth of settings! :confused: Even fakey wearers have that same thought as you--- spend $$$$ on the setting and no one would suspect a thing. So really, it doesn't matter what setting you wear. I just so much prefer your 6 prong than the 4 prong. The 4 prong is a more generic look, and I get really antsy to see tiny four little prongs holding in something that valuable. 6 looks much more durable to me. But that's just cus I know myself. I bang my rings left and right on everything! :lol:

I'm glad the setting is now growing on you, but be 100% certain that you love it. I would hate for it to bother you 6 months down the line that you didn't stick to your gun and make them do a thicker shank. Sometimes we get so sparkly eyed that we'll accept anything just as long as we can wear it NOW NOW NOW…. and then the little things start to bug. Get it right the first time!

And if you do choose to keep it as is, definitely get a refund.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think your new BGD setting is beautiful. However, since you paid for 2.9mm and they delivered 2.1mm, you should send it back and have them redo it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but BGD messed up the first e-ring my bf ordered. It was a 3 stone ring, and the diamonds were misaligned (one of the side diamonds was set lower than the other). BGD refused to believe my bf when they said it was uneven, but he sent it back to them for measurement, and they acknowledged that they had messed up. They implied that my bf didn't know what he was talking about and his eyes were playing tricks on him when he claimed the diamonds weren't set correctly too. Anyway, we ended up returning the ring altogether.

If you know that they didn't deliver on your custom modification (which I assume you paid more money for), you need to get them to fix it. Don't wait until after the return period.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
i didn't realize that sortmon! I knew you had issues with the setting prior but didn't realize it was also BGD. I am curious now on how they will react to my request for the refund on the modification charges.

Well ladies... I am flying to California from Chicago this weekend with SO to look at three wedding venues we have narrowed it down to! Super excited. This day couldn't go any slower.... I want it to be the weekend already!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1371824644|3469941 said:
i didn't realize that sortmon! I knew you had issues with the setting prior but didn't realize it was also BGD. I am curious now on how they will react to my request for the refund on the modification charges.

Well ladies... I am flying to California from Chicago this weekend with SO to look at three wedding venues we have narrowed it down to! Super excited. This day couldn't go any slower.... I want it to be the weekend already!

Well, you have proof (another jeweler used their calipers) that the shank isn't as thick as you requested. I think you should send it back and have them remake it or get the mod fee back.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring! And I am in the same boat as everyone else in saying I really like the new 6-prong setting. Your diamond is gorgeous.

I do think you should call BGD and tell them of their error and let them know you're debating whether to return it for them to correct the error or have them refund the modification fee. Do you have to know what you're going to ultimately decide before you tell them they messed up?

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
nowicanseethemoon|1371839304|3470109 said:
Gorgeous ring! And I am in the same boat as everyone else in saying I really like the new 6-prong setting. Your diamond is gorgeous.

I do think you should call BGD and tell them of their error and let them know you're debating whether to return it for them to correct the error or have them refund the modification fee. Do you have to know what you're going to ultimately decide before you tell them they messed up?

Thank you!

I did end up telling BGD of the error as confirmed by a local Jeweler and I emailed them the photo as well of the width with my measuring tape. They agreed to refund the extra charge for the modification that they didn't do and apologized. I told them I would get back to them next weekend on my decision to keep the thinner setting.

Today I also got back my old four prong setting and compared the 2.5mm width James Allen four prong with my current 2mm width BG six prong... and I'm really liking the new skinny width. I'm nearly 99% sure I will keep it - but giving myself a week to think it over regardless.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
How did the venue visits go, maple2012?

I'm glad you are warming to your ring as it is (its lovely!), and I'm glad you are getting a partial refund! :appl:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Chewbacca|1372024756|3471013 said:
How did the venue visits go, maple2012?

I'm glad you are warming to your ring as it is (its lovely!), and I'm glad you are getting a partial refund! :appl:

The venue visits went great! We picked our venue! See pictures below. It's in Napa Valley. Unfortunately it was rainy the whole time there. :0( Pics were hard to take.

As for the ring - its definitely warmed up to me but I'm still not 100% sure. I loved the idea of a band with bigger diamonds (20 pointers) as a wedding band but that really won't look good with my new 2mm ring width. I guess a .07 pointer band wouldn't be bad... ahhh i don't know. decisions decisions!!! :(( I might just end up switching the width to my original request of 3mm... worst case scenario and I can pay for them to make it thinner if I don't like it, down the road.

Now onto the fun part... pics of our venue!

barrel_room_for_reception.jpg

2nd_level_of_courtyrad_-_cigar_bar__amp__string_quartet.jpg

courtyard_for_ceremony_2.jpg

fountain_area_for_cocktail_hour.jpg

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Delurking to say that I've been to that winery and its SO very beautiful, you're going to have a lovely wedding!!! :bigsmile:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
tammy77|1372368665|3473389 said:
Delurking to say that I've been to that winery and its SO very beautiful, you're going to have a lovely wedding!!! :bigsmile:

Thank you!!! I'm so excited to be getting married there with FH. :bigsmile: Currently trying to decide if we want an evening Saturday wedding or a small day time wedding on a Sunday in their back patio facing the vineyard.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
What time of year are you looking at? Weather might play a part (too hot in the afternoon, or too cool in the evening). That's seriously my favorite winery atmosphere wise! :appl: If you and your FH are wine buffs and haven't tried Girard (they're in Yountville), give them a try! They have the BEST reds. :lickout:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Oh goodness. That is a beautiful spot. I live in Wyoming ... we don't have venues like that.

As for the setting, since I'm pretty new around here, I don't know all the back story, but have you gone to a jeweler and tried on different width bands? And differnt WBs with them? From my previous ring buying experience, I would say that what I thought I wanted didn't exactly translate into what I liked on my hand. I hope you get the setting exactly perfect, but it sounds like you've got a great guy and a wonderful life ahead.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with nowicanseethemoon, I think its time for you to go and try on WB's with your current setting! And take photos. And post them here.

:wink2:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ tammy77: We are looking at early November 2014 - the price really drops for the venue in November versus Fall/Summer. Plus it would be easier for our guest to find accommodations then versus October which is heavy tourist season. It still looks pretty green during November too based on the pics of previous weddings in that month so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

For example, two November weddings: http://sattuiwedding.wordpress.com/2009/11/

I have not been to Girard but we will have to try it the next time we are in the area! thanks for the recommendations! :bigsmile:

@nowicanseethemoon: I have tried on different width bands - I really liked the ones that were a bit more substantial. BGD is actually in the process of remaking my new one at 2.9mm up top down to 2.2mm which is what I originally wanted. When they are done with it, I'm shipping in my current ring so they can reset. I'm very excited to see how it turns out. :bigsmile:

@ Chewbacca - I went to try on wedding bands at Tiffanys with my new BGD 2mm tiffany to see what they looked like paired prior to telling BGD to remake my ring. :saint: Unfortunately.... I didnt like any of them! :blackeye: I just didnt like the look of the thinner ring shank with the wedding bands. :(( I think it's really just a personal preference thing.

I will repost pics again once BGD makes the new setting and resets my diamond. :bigsmile:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I want to see your lovely new band and diamond reset... Any progress? Can you tell I'm not a patient person? :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results