shape
carat
color
clarity

ignorance is bliss??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...thought I would get your thoughts on this.

A close friend of mine is looking for rings with her significant other, and I suggested that she take a look at PS. I told her that it is full of useful information, tutorials and very knowledgeable diamond fans!! PS helped my bf and I with our diamond hunt, and I thought I was helping out.

My friends response was rather surprising. She said she would rather not learn about diamonds because then she would become "overly knowledgable" about and then she would then miss the beauty of them. I can understand that one may get caught up in all the facts and may become picky.....but I do not think that having at least a basic knowledge about diamonds is to become "overly knowledgable". She really doesn''t know much about diamonds....she asked what cut the stone we picked was, and I said "excellent"..and she said "No, is it round? Square?". I just don''t want someone to dupe her!!!!

I just thought it was a bit odd.
I learnt what I could from PS and then we went from there...I didn''t become picky and overlook the beauty of diamonds. I had a sense of security, because I knew that the money being used wisely..especially for such a symbolic gift.

Her perogative, I guess!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I think some people do get lost out here in PS, after you learn about cut etc it is like finding out santa doesn''t exist...you can''t go back.

When I get my ring I want to be in awe of what he has promised to me notl be ready to look at the cert to see "how he did" and be worried that I might be disapointed by the "numbers" when I should be thrilled about the ring...

TOO LATE NOW THOUGH...Sorry Baby! lol
emwink.gif
jk

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I do think it''s silly not to learn anything because you might get ripped off, I understand the reasoning somewhat.

Now that I know so much more about diamonds, I want more! Hehe, before PS my fiance could have bought me a WG non-ideal round solitaire and I would have been pleased as punch. Now, I have a perfectly cut fancy shape in a platinum setting!!!
2.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Like neatfreak, I know I would have gotten something smaller and/or more average if I hadn''t found PS. But I don''t consider it a bad thing... We''re both so happy and proud of it, and we know he didn''t get ripped off.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t imagine someone not wanting to be very informed as a consumer when it comes to a large purchase like an engagement ring...but then again I''m a PS''r and to me that means I''m a bit outside of the normal way of thinking as far as jewelry. It is sort of like finding out there''s no Santa in that you definitely can never go back to the innocence/bliss of ignorance, I agree with iwanna on that! Many of my friends have gorgeous e-rings but they have no clue about the diamonds'' stats. In fact, when I got engaged a few years ago I hadn''t discovered PS yet and knew really nothing compared to what I know now, and neither did my DH. Fortunately he went to a great jeweler who we still frequent today, and that man lived up to his reputation and helped my DH find a lovely stone for me that fit our requests of size, shape, and clarity, pretty much in that order. Color? Yeah, we just knew we didn''t want a stone with a lot of what I now know to refer to as "warmth," hee hee.

I can understand wanting to remain being blissfully ignorant, though, I think. If you''ve never slept in the Taj Mahal but you know you don''t really care for Motel 6, something like a Hyatt or Hilton you know will probably make you as happy as you think you can possibly be, ya know?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can understand her not wanting to get caught up in lots of numbers but I think she should definitely have a look at cut, clarity etc, just the basics. I love reading about the different stats but I suppose it''s each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results