shape
carat
color
clarity

How Much Delegating is Too Much?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we're obviously a bunch of jewel-obsessed, jewel-educated people here that like to have a say in our future (or existing) e-rings. Given the recent thread's discussion, I'd like to know what you feel is crossing the lines in planning your e-ring?

How much planning of the whole engagement process (excluding the ring) is too much?

How much planning of the wedding before a proposal is too much?

Is there such a thing as "too much"? I get that each individual and each couple will be different. But is there a "too much"?

Olympias

Rough_Rock
I planned my ring - obviously in the end it didn't work out that well lol
I am not planning the new one, although he said he hoped to be able to have the F/VS2 so it won't be much different than what I planned at first..
We already planned the civil wedding (eloping to Africa) from start to finish and already paid deposit for our vendors (venue, photographer and videographer, make up & hair although they are not coming with us). I will wear a traditional African attire and I plan to find the stylist + have the sketches in 2014 so I can have it sew in 2015. I will also start working on the wedding contract + administration bit in 2015. We will book the hotel/venue + airfares in Jan 2016 and will buy my 1st wedding ring then.
We already found all the vendors (wedding stylist, wedding planner, venues, photographer, videographer, hair stylist, make up artist, bespoke shoe maker, bespoke dress maker for my 3 dresses & the bridesmaids, venues, florist) for our intimate interfaith ceremony (65 guests) and the big bash afterwards (150 guests). We have an already set guest list, decided the date, the theme & colour scheme.

I don't think there is such thing as too much planning, depends what situation the couple is in..
In our case we only live together up until December, then I move town for a year and a half. Then I move again in another city within the UK while he moves to the west coast of USA for 2 years. Basically 1-2 years pre wedding we won't even be on the same continent so we both decided to take care of this while we live under the same roof and I haven't resumed my life.
Once I start being busy again, the planners/stylist take over..

However, I would say that it might be a bit too premature to plan a wedding if the significant other does not want to get married, did not provide a time frame or does not think that he wants to spend the rest of his life with the specific person..the rest is up to how OCD the bride is, the schedule of her guests & family members (we must send save the dates 2 years in advance in my family/circle of friends), if saving must be done to get what the groom/bride wants etc

glitzandglamour

Rough_Rock
I have my ideas of what I want, but in the end, I want something my boyfriend picked for me. I want to be surprised. For me, the excitement would lack if I knew what I was getting and how I would get it.

As for planning the wedding before the proposal, it's fun to look and get ideas but anything official or putting money down would be to much for me.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I think this varies from couple to couple. I also think it matters how much input the groom wants to have and also how comfortable the bride and groom are in wedding planning ahead of engagement. I was on the extreme end of things. I did not browse rings before DH asked me to go try some on with him. I did not make a guest list or decide a wedding date/year before the ring was on my finger. For me, everything was off limits until we reached certain milestones that I made up in my head. As soon as I reached my made-up milestone it was no holds barred. :lol: I realize from these forums that other ladies handle it differently.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results