shape
carat
color
clarity

EXCITED! But... ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
BF has been fratically saving since he decided he wanted to marry me, but since he probably won''t have a lot by the time we want to get engaged, we''ve been considering a number of options:

1) Get a blingy eternity band as a w-band, and either wear that as an e-ring or possibly wear an inexpensive gemstone ring as an e-ring (the Danburite?!)

I''m happy with this option. I mean, of course I WANT an engagement ring. For heaven''s sake I spend my time on a diamond lover''s website! But I think it''s silly to wait to get engaged until he can afford a nice diamond, and I could always just get a nice diamond for an anniversary some years from now.

2) Get a sapphire.

Less happy with this option since I wear coloured gems everyday. It wouldn''t feel ''special'' and ''engaged-ish''. But he loves sapphs.

But last night we were browsing on line and saw a second hand ring that he loves and would be able to afford. So I went in to the relevant store today and tried on its cousin and I think... I really dig it too. Although it''s absolutely NOTHING like anything I''d ever considered or imagined.

Since it''s not something that comes up second hand often, and it seems so great, we''re thinking about getting it.

Here''s the thing though: I don''t want to get engaged before July. Partly because, although we''ve known each other since the summer before last, we''ve only been dating since last fall. And it was late fall before we were ''exclusive''. He''s mid 30''s and I''m somewhere around the 3 decade mark, so we both really know what we want, have plenty of experience, feel confident that we''ve found a wonderful but also sensible match. So, we''re both pretty sure we''re getting married. And many of my friends have got engaged around the 9 month mark. I think that''s fine.

But if we get the ring now, around the 7ish month mark, is that weird? Is it too soon? Even if he didn''t give it to me for another 2-3 months?

If we didn''t get this, there are other options, but he seems so excited aobut it, and even mroe excited that he can actually afford it.

What do you think? Should I tell him to wait? Or let him get it?

35.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My parents got engaged within 2 weeks of meeting for the first time and celebrate 36 years of very happy marriage on the 10th of July. Mother was 21, my father was 32!

I think when you are that bit older it's easier to know with more certainty. I knew within 6 hrs of meeting FI that I'd marry him and never thought that about any of my past boyfriends - even those I lived with for several years.

I say go for it!

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
I think that if you know, and you know that you know, that that should be enough.

WOW that has to be the worse worded sentence ever...

I wouldnt worry too much about appearances, it is what you two think that matter.

Besides, in 5 to 10 years, noone is going to remember how long you two officially dated before getting engaged/married.

If it feels right for you now, then go for it! Especially with this new ring that has become available.

IF you feel weird and want to wait, you can still purchase the ring, just have him hold off on asking you. Though I will caution you, I found waiting for the ring to be given (after purchase was made) to be the worse part of waiting).

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
go for it . . . I knew FI was the one for me before we even started dating, so there is nothing wierd about it. Granted the man waited 2.5 years to finally propose but 7 months, 2 years, 10 years . . . who cares, if it feels right to you and your BF, celebrate !!! Like I said, go for it
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ya know ... it''s just the ring. Not the wedding itself! Why not go for it! Well -- sleep on it for a couple nights first, to make sure you''re not being hasty about either, but if you still feel it''s right -- you''re both mature adults!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
ive had friends and family frommyside and my bfs side who got engaged 6 months into dating...when you know you know....

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I think being a little older makes it not weird at all to get engaged at 7 months. (Gwyn, fighting you for the worst worded sentence ever!)

If you were 18, it might warrant a little more time. At 33 I got engaged after 4 months. That was 10 years ago. (Am I really 43??) I''d love to know more about the potential ring you''ve seen??

a

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, thanks so much for your encouragement. I think if we got the ring, I would just say ''hoooold on to this baby until July!'' And then I''d just, er, sneak peeks at it. Once in a while.

But a snag has come up. After taking a closer look at the GIA cert on this thing, it''s not the world''s most sparkliest of stones (at least on paper) so we might need to switch it out. Which, I now discover, could itself get pretty expensive.

Maybe we should just have a look at it anyway.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have a look at the ring and if you love it in person than I think you should get it! Then tell your bf not to do it till July, if thats what you wish. And of course, get some pics!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez has convinced me (over on Rocky Talky) to give this ring a chance, despite the wonky numbers on the diamond.

Oh yes, I am excited! I just called my Grammy and said "Shhhhh... don't tell but we're ordering a ring to look at!" I know she won't tell (she hates gossip) and she's recovering from a mastectomy and keeps saying 'Bring me lots of exciting news so I can enjoy everything vicariously!' So, how's THAT for exciting news? I'd be the first of several grandkids to get hitched.... I mean, unless my sis flies off to Las Vegas. But that seems unlikely.

Also, my Grammy said it was silly to worry about how many months we'd been dating. If we know, we know. 7 months, 9 months, who cares? Still.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Wooo! I agree with everyone else, that in your thirties, seven months is time enough. Besides, he won''t be proposing for another couple months, and then there''s the time you have while you''re engaged.

So...um...pics soon?
9.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Am I allowed to post pics before we''re engaged?! Maybe with no handshots.

All I''m telling you now is that it looks like a crown with a diamond nestled in the middle, and the prongs (tips of the crown) look like the round toes of a little frog. chirp chirp! How cool is that? The profile is scrumptious.

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 12:45:16 PM
Author: Independent Gal

All I''m telling you now is that it looks like a crown with a diamond nestled in the middle, and the prongs (tips of the crown) look like the round toes of a little frog. chirp chirp! How cool is that? The profile is scrumptious.

First of all, congrats on finding "the one"
1.gif

Second of all...are you kidding? Pix are always welcomed!
36.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock

You are, indeed! In fact, when you get your hands on it...it''s the LAW that you post pictures!
2.gif

It sounds positively wonderful...can''t wait to see it!!
3.gif

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Date: 5/4/2007 11:47:23 AM
Nicrez has convinced me (over on Rocky Talky) to give this ring a chance, despite the wonky numbers on the diamond.

Oh yes, I am excited! I just called my Grammy and said ''Shhhhh... don''t tell but we''re ordering a ring to look at!'' I know she won''t tell (she hates gossip) and she''s recovering from a mastectomy and keeps saying ''Bring me lots of exciting news so I can enjoy everything vicariously!'' So, how''s THAT for exciting news? I''d be the first of several grandkids to get hitched.... I mean, unless my sis flies off to Las Vegas. But that seems unlikely.

Also, my Grammy said it was silly to worry about how many months we''d been dating. If we know, we know. 7 months, 9 months, who cares? Still.
I''m 100% with your Grammy on this one
36.gif
. Have another look at the ring and if you love it on sight, then get it!!! Wait ''til July??? Only a masochist would agree.

You know he''s the one and if that''s the ring, May proposals can be sooo romantic
30.gif

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Like everyone else has said, when you know, you know! I think when you''re more mature you know what you want and know when it''s in front of you. The teens and twenties are for figuring all that stuff out. I can''t wait to see this ring! Post pics soon!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 6:42:13 PM
Ladies, thanks so much for your encouragement. I think if we got the ring, I would just say ''hoooold on to this baby until July!'' And then I''d just, er, sneak peeks at it. Once in a while.

But a snag has come up. After taking a closer look at the GIA cert on this thing, it''s not the world''s most sparkliest of stones (at least on paper) so we might need to switch it out. Which, I now discover, could itself get pretty expensive.

Maybe we should just have a look at it anyway.
If he lets you or you know where it is...you can always wear it around the house when he''s not there...
27.gif

This made the waiting a little easier for me. Come to speak of it...I''m still practicing this. I''m wearing my wedding band right now at home and I''m not married yet heehee. Sometimes I''ll wear it out to the mailbox and back just to get a glimpse of it in sunlight. What is wrong with us??? We are obsessed LOL!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh definitely, many have done that here!!!

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock

Please!!! Pictures Please!!! :)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The ring is ordered and on it''s way... I hope we LOVE the quirky little too-deep-diamond! Otherwise, we can always send it back.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I bought a house together after 8 months of being together and got engaged 2 months later. Frankly, others opinions didn''t come into the equation for us cos it was about us showing our love and committment to one another and we knew from the first date that we were going to be together forever. Do whats best for you and enjoy this special time in your life, its such an exciting time making plans together and paving the way to your future happiness.

Congrats and looking forward to seeing your ring.

x

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a ''stock picture'' of the ring. The diamond on the one we ordered is significantly smaller (.72) but you get the idea. Bulgari has a micro pave wedding band that goes with it which is sparklytacular... I hope i''ll be able to get that one

And I can''t wait to show you guys the profile shot. That''s where it looks like a crown.

corona ring.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
It''s here! And it''s... GORGEOUS!! M will go get his camera and hopefully I''ll have pics for you guys in a day or two.

But now I''m paranoid about the diamond being too deep and I can''t tell if I''m REALLY seeing dark spots or if any diamond would look that way... It also doesn''t help that my house has supercharged sparkle-enhancing lighting (errr... I mean it DOES help, but any diamond would look stunning under my lights).

The plan: take it to a jeweler and look at it next to a properly cut H&A stone.

Alienor

Rough_Rock
Oh, i am excited for you.
If you have any doubts about the ring after going to the jewelry, don''t take it. I would hate to see you regretting it. :)

Follow your guts instincts :).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results