shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought ring together 4 weeks ago.. now waiting and waiting..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Firstly a bit about us. We''re from Oz ( Australia) been together 3.5 years (lived together almost as long). I''m 25 he is 33.
We''ve been through a lot. One overseas trip to Vietnam where I almost died, another overseas trip to Italy and Egypt ( which we won through a creativity contest together). Also attended approx 10 weddings over the past 3 years including his elder brother''s last week (they had been going out only 1.5 years)

Anyho, skipping through details, we have been talking about getting engaged for a while ( about 1.5 years), in fact he would have proposed in July on our 3rd anniversary, but his brother proposed to his gf a month a head of us ( and then got married 5 months after). So now every one says "you''re next".

So for the last 3 months we have been window shopping for rings, but I didin''t have the guts to try any on (silly me!, just makes it too official), until I saw the perfect ring.. and at an awesome price too. We go into the store, I try it on.. it looks very sparkly and perfect. We think about it overnight, and the next day we go back, and my bf buys it. Woo Hooo!

It takes a week to be re-sized to a "K", and I had asked for the centre stone to be certified, but the jeweler only gives us a valuation. So, we request a certificate, which he happily agrees to. We are told it would take a week. Wait 2 weeks. It arrives back. All the spec''s are what we thought except the colour. It''s a "TLB" instead of the " J" colour we bought. The jeweler apologizes offers us a discount or to replace the diamond. Although it was a sparkly champagne diamond we insist on getting a "J" colour with the spec''s that we thought we bought. All''s good and the jeweler, apologizing say''s he will have it by the end of the week. ... Two weeks have gone by, no response from jeweler.

A bit upset at this initial start to our "engagement'', with the muck up in the diamond also, no proposal yet.

Also at his brother''s wedding, people were going up to his parent''s saying my bf''s next, and his mum would reply, " I want to enjoy the memory of this wedding first, not another wedding for another 2 years I hope".

So, bit upset at that as well, since we have been together 3.5 almost 4 years and then to wait another, 2 years.. 2011??? , when I''m 27 and bf 35 years.

Anyhow, I''m playing the waiting game now... Anyone else had a problem with their e-ring? Glad I went with my bf, and sought the independent certification, coz he could of easily walked away with the ring and a valuation ( as it looks pretty official), also he would of been ripped off so much as there is a big difference between the cost of a "J" coloured diamond and a "Top LIght Brown" coloured diamond.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Can't help you with the value difference between a J and a TLB but I would tend to ignore what people say in passing get married whenever your ready not when his mum is ready :)

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
my anniversary with the SO is july 3rd as well! (just had to stick that in there)

Im sorry your initial engagement dealings have been so difficult
8.gif
I think you and SO did the right thing requesting paperwork to make sure you were actually getting what you thought you had bought! You might have to go into the jewelers and make a big stink before he responds this time. I mean, you have proof that he did not sell you what he advertised the product was and when it comes to diamonds thats a big deal. Just stay optimistic about it as much as you can and dont let the jeweler push you around.

Did you ask your SO what he though of his mom''s comment at the wedding? I dont think its something you should worry about, you''re not marrying his mother you''re marrying him. Besides, depending on how long of an engagement you''d like to have you''ll be looking at about a year before a wedding - so what if you shave your FMIL''s time period in half, close enough, I say
2.gif

Good luck MD - keep us posted

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I would be raising cain by now about getting my ring back. Call and call and call and call until you get an answer!

Second, don''t let his mother decide for you. The two of you get married when you are ready and she can kiss your butt.

Congrats btw
2.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the ring shopping! That's a big step. Hopefully it all gets sorted out for you.

I personally wouldn't heed what his mother says. Expecting you to wait 2 years because of another wedding in the family is completely unreasonable. It's YOUR life and you should pick a date that best suits you as a couple.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 12:37:59 PM
Author: absolut_blonde
Congrats on the ring shopping! That''s a big step. Hopefully it all gets sorted out for you.

I personally wouldn''t heed what his mother says. Expecting you to wait 2 years because of another wedding in the family is completely unreasonable. It''s YOUR life and you should pick a date that best suits you as a couple.
Ditto this and ditto DF! Contact your jeweller ASAP and pleasantly but firmly ask him what the situation is on replacing this stone with a reliably graded J colour by a reasonable time, or you want your money refunded in full. Keep all relevant paperwork.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Hi all again,
thanks for your comments, you''re all right I won''t take his mum''s comment to heart.

UPDATE: finally heard from the jeweler today, Thursday afternoon. He said that he could replace, the diamond with a 0.9 ct F SI2 diamond, instead of the J 1.006 ct SI2 diamond we thought we had orginally bought, even though the colour is better, I had always had my mind set that I would like a 1ct sized diamond, so after deliberating, my bf rang back to see if he could find a J 1ct Si2 diamond instead.

Feel like the worst customer.. but that''s what we thought we had bought orginally and I had gotten all excited about THAT diamond not now changing it for a totally different sized diamond.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I''m from Australia too! Personally, I would take the F 0.90 stone as the actual difference in size isn''t that great, where the colour will be more noticeable.
That is just my 2 cents though
1.gif

What jeweller are you going through?

Cynd33

Rough_Rock
Hi MissDimity~

I''m from Sydney so hi fellow Aussie!
35.gif

I would actually agree with you, although there is not much difference between 0.90 ct and 1.00 ct it would really bug me as well if that is what you have your heart set on than I think you have done the right thing. Out of curiousity, which jeweller did you go to? And what type of setting/stone did you pick? Good on you for having the stone independantly certified.

I hope that your wait is not too long, hopefully your jeweller will be able to find the diamond you want!

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if I should name the jeweler, but it is a jeweler in Westfield, Chatswood.

If it was an honest mistake ( he did say to us that the rock had been in the store a long time and they had lost the spec''s that''s why it had been reduced, and "J" colour was a lower grade of colour then they now use), then I don''t want to defame him.

Description of ring: 1 ct round brilliant cut ( J sI2) bezel set in 18k white gold in a cathedral prong, set in a 18k yellow gold band with shoulder round brilliant cut diamonds ( H colour VS2- SI1, 0.3 TCW).

Haven''t seen anything similar on net or in other stores.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results