shape
carat
color
clarity

Any calming techniques before a huge exam?

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Ladieeesss, please help me with some relaxation/calming techniques for the day before an exam. I am taking the USMLE Step 1 board exam tomorrow and I've been doing everything I can to be confident, stay calm, and not totally lose it over this test. This test is super important because it's a determining factor towards getting matched for residency. There were a series of unfortunate events dealing with whether I should postpone my exam, but I decided to bite the bullet, take the test, and do my best.

I'm lucky in that I have tons of family and friends supporting me, and my bf has been with me the last two days to control any hysterics that might break out. I am doing some morning studying to feel productive, then am running some quick errands, packing for a weekend trip to Maine, and then going to a slow flow yoga class. Any other tips???

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Plan on being with people doing something fun unless you know you can manage to *actually* read a non-medical book/watch tv/ play tetris/ veg out a bit. You know that you have prepared the best you can, now it's time to make sure you don't freak out!

Get away from the area where you study, you'll just be pulled back in!

And *dust*! I'm sure you'll blow step 1 out of the water!

(My boyfriend is about to graduate from med school, so I've been dealing with all the craziness for 4 years now)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1335974402|3185721 said:
Ladieeesss, please help me with some relaxation/calming techniques for the day before an exam. I am taking the USMLE Step 1 board exam tomorrow and I've been doing everything I can to be confident, stay calm, and not totally lose it over this test. This test is super important because it's a determining factor towards getting matched for residency. There were a series of unfortunate events dealing with whether I should postpone my exam, but I decided to bite the bullet, take the test, and do my best.

I'm lucky in that I have tons of family and friends supporting me, and my bf has been with me the last two days to control any hysterics that might break out. I am doing some morning studying to feel productive, then am running some quick errands, packing for a weekend trip to Maine, and then going to a slow flow yoga class. Any other tips???

that sounds like a good plan! good luck tomorrow, and just remember to breathe. I'm sure you will do well, you just need to get through it and move on to your next step! drink water (but not too much that you'll need to use the restroom too often, just enough to stay hydrated)...visualization works well too for some people. visualize yourself passing the test and kicking butt!! will be thinking of you tomorrow :))

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think a yoga class is a great way to relax! Also, one thing i've found is the last minute studying can actually harm more than help, because usually you won't retain anything anyways. Try to get a good nights sleep and imagine how great you will feel after you are done!!! :) DUST for you & GL tomorrow!!!!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1335974402|3185721 said:

as someone who knows... there is nothing you can do. I flipped through first aide over and over again, page by page, just randomly looking at whatever info popped out and reviewed the buzz words in the back like crazy. That actually calmed me. Maybe the motion of flipping helped.

your best bet is to put everything else aside, if your factor was the NBME - not as predictive as some make you think, and go in confident. At this point doing more questions is not going to help you. Flip flip flip. If it makes you feel any better, step 2 and 3 are no where near as bad.

Advice for in the exam, I did 2 blocks then took quick 5 minute breaks. If you don't know a question mark it, answer it and move on - come back if you can. The lay out is pretty much like USMLE world, so it'll make you feel better if you used that to prepare. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING! big big big tip right there. Confidence, remember confidence, deep breath, click start and go.

let us know how it felt! I know I thought I failed when I took it and was shockingly surprised 3 weeks later (i thought we got results after 4 weeks, i almost spit out my cereal when I got the email.)

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock
Yes, despite my distinct lack of calm this week (see: "losing it" below :oops: ) I've become pretty good at psyching myself up before an exam. Here's what I do.
- Make sure to eat breakfast, but NOT FAST FOOD or anything "questionable."
- drink slightly less caffeine than normal
- get all well-wishes the night before and turn OFF your phone the morning of the test. Talking to people about how nervous you are, or even receiving well-meaning support the morning of, just reminds you that you have a reason to be nervous. Think zen.
- At the risk of sounding completely insane...in the car on the way I pretty much scream horrible, violent and dominant things, re: exam, and how I'm going to completely smash it. (I guess that's not as zen anymore) Yes, people in other cars think I'm insane. I'm pretty demure in real life, so I think being so vocal, loud and aggressive really helps me!

Good luck! We're all rooting for you! :appl:

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Have everything laid out that you need to bring, plan a comfortable outfit that makes you feel confident. I would go running in the morning to clear my head, but that's me. Just be calm, you'll do great! Good luck!! :appl: :appl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
don't eat carbs for lunch!!! and nothing to make you sleepy like milk or turkey

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good night sleep, and breathe!

In my undergrad, a girl in my class had a mantra. It only works for multiple choice tests, but in case it helps:
"The right answer is there. I just have to pick it." :lol:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
audball|1336054970|3186558 said:

In my undergrad, a girl in my class had a mantra. It only works for multiple choice tests, but in case it helps:
That was my mantra, too! (You're not an Illini, are you? :cheeky: )

SweetPea--I do a little thing with my students where I have them envision themselves doing *really* well on the exam. We walk through sitting at the computer and feeling confident about your answers and then receiving the score you want on a sheet of paper. This is what I used to do, and I really think it helps. My students consistently have higher exit test scores than my school's average, so something is working for them!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1336066944|3186710 said:
audball|1336054970|3186558 said:

That was my mantra, too! (You're not an Illini, are you? :cheeky: )

SweetPea--I do a little thing with my students where I have them envision themselves doing *really* well on the exam. We walk through sitting at the computer and feeling confident about your answers and then receiving the score you want on a sheet of paper. This is what I used to do, and I really think it helps. My students consistently have higher exit test scores than my school's average, so something is working for them!
Hhaha, nope! I'm in Florida. She's originally from Pennsylvania though. Hmph.......

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you managed to relax and are calmly enjoying that you KNOW all that you need!

I know I'm too late to help with this one, but I've been struggling with exam anxiety the last few quarters...

DO:
~have breakfast (something you enjoy and will stick with you)
~enjoy a long soak in a hot bath (I'll even get up 1/2 hour early for this!)
~dress comfortably
~bring something to drink (I usually have a bottle of water and something like a soy chai)
~listen to my favorite songs just before
~go to bed early the night before (I wake up feeling like I've gotten to sleep in! -- always a good way to start the day)

DON'T
~eat pizza the night before (daiy + me + stress = running out of the room early to be sick :nono: )
~coffee (see above issue :nono: )
~study late the day before
~study within 2 hours of exam (for late afternoon, I'll study a bit but set a limit on time and stick just to reviewing the stuff I already know pretty well)

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you guys!! This is all wonderful advice, and I'm glad that there's support here outside of being a LIW.

The exam... was rough. The good thing is that we ALL thought it was harder than expected, but I'm glad that I got to experience it. I was really not feeling good the first two sections, then the remaining five went a lot better, at least in terms of how I felt, and the confidence I had in the questions. To be honest, I don't think I passed. There were a LOT of questions on molecular pathways in areas that I don't think I ever learned, even as an undergraduate. There were also tons of questions on drug side effects and contraindications that I didn't know, nor even saw in any of my review books. I think that I scored in the cusp of passing, and I'm not going to let it get me down before I get my score back. At this point, I'm ready to take it on again if I have to, and I know what to do better in terms of studying. I have to keep reminding myself that it's just a test, and I shouldn't let it define me as a person, or my ambitious to become a good physician.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my weekend in Maine with my honey and dog, and I'll get through my first rotation the best I can. If I do have to retake the exam, I am going to take EVERYTHING you guys said and apply it to my next round. You are all so wonderful, thank you!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad it's done and over with! I'm a horrible stressed-outer when it comes to exams, too, so I'm going to take some of the advice offered here :). Enjoy your weekend! You deserve to just let loose!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1336187430|3187967 said:
The exam... was rough. The good thing is that we ALL thought it was harder than expected, but I'm glad that I got to experience it. I was really not feeling good the first two sections, then the remaining five went a lot better, at least in terms of how I felt, and the confidence I had in the questions. To be honest, I don't think I passed. There were a LOT of questions on molecular pathways in areas that I don't think I ever learned, even as an undergraduate. There were also tons of questions on drug side effects and contraindications that I didn't know, nor even saw in any of my review books. I think that I scored in the cusp of passing, and I'm not going to let it get me down before I get my score back. At this point, I'm ready to take it on again if I have to, and I know what to do better in terms of studying. I have to keep reminding myself that it's just a test, and I shouldn't let it define me as a person, or my ambitious to become a good physician.

Don't worry, everyone feels that way - and whoever says they don't are lying. congrats on finishing! What is your first rotation? what do you plan on going into?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that you don't feel 100% after but everyone feels that way after a tough exam!! Put it out of your mind and enjoy your weekend, like you said. Lots of **dust** to you for when you hear back on the results!!!

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
nicstx|1336250699|3188291 said:
sweetpea&babycorn|1336187430|3187967 said:

Don't worry, everyone feels that way - and whoever says they don't are lying. congrats on finishing! What is your first rotation? what do you plan on going into?

I second that! The sickest I ever felt was going into my MCAT, I felt like my whole future was hanging on that moment, and it didn't help that on the lunch break everyone was saying how easy it was. Every time you jump one hurdle there is another one 3 paces ahead. I'm sending you good-vibes! And CONGRATS!

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1336269299|3188402 said:
I'm sorry that you don't feel 100% after but everyone feels that way after a tough exam!! Put it out of your mind and enjoy your weekend, like you said. Lots of **dust** to you for when you hear back on the results!!!
Agreed. I'm sure you did great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results