shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcing your engagement to parents/siblings/close friends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lozza

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about how you will do this yet?

Will you do the screaming phone call ''Oh my god I just got engaged'', or the more formal approach such as organising to have dinner and making an announcement?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haha. I''ll probably be making a series of sobbing phone calls to my mom, my sister, and my closest friends...then relying on that old standby: facebook, to get it out to the rest of the world.
3.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I might just text them the words "FINALLY"
I''m so anti-climatic

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We actually kept it quiet for 5 looooong days because his plan was to announce it at this holiday shindig we were throwing for both of our famiies. So we got to see the looks on their faces.
16.gif
It was awesome. Everyone else got FB-ed.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 8:34:20 AM
Author: vc10um
Haha. I''ll probably be making a series of sobbing phone calls to my mom, my sister, and my closest friends...then relying on that old standby: facebook, to get it out to the rest of the world.
3.gif

This is what we did--our parents are too far away for us to wait to make the announcement in person. It would have been like 5 months!

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 10:00:35 AM
Author: ckrickett
I might just text them the words ''FINALLY''
I''m so anti-climatic

Love it!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
we called everyone and then facebooked it...actually pricescoped it and THEN facebooked it lol
I remember I was so nervous to call my parents but then fi told me he had asked for their blessing and I felt a lot better then lol

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
My family was there, sans my brother... I still don''t know who told him, since I didn''t and he never congratulated me...
20.gif
(he was supposed to be there too, at our family reunion, but flaked out and came 2 days late). We conference called FI''s family, which was fun! They knew it was coming anyway. I called a few close friends, and sent text messages to other people that I wanted to hear it from me, and then FB did the rest. I put a note up with the story and pictures a few days after we got engaged, and we got like 80+ comments and congrats!
23.gif
It was all really fun and exciting!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I dont know what we''ll do. We live overseas from family so in person wont happen. Truth be told ill probably be the screaming type
31.gif

still i would really like to keep it a secret for a couple of days - just so that it could be special that only SO and I knew. that sounds corny now ive written it
30.gif
3.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We made excited phone calls to our families (but apparently everyone knew it was happening but me!). To my friends, I picture messaged a picture of my ring--no text.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I want to tell my parents, his parents, the bridal party and a few other close friends in person, and then let FB do the rest.

I am actually quite nervous about telling my parents, I am not sure how they will react. They both like SO, but they only got married because they already had two children, a mortgage and had been living together for about nine years at that point so there wasn''t any point in NOT being married. They were also in their early thirties at the time whereas I will be 23 and will have been together for around 4 years at the time.

I know his paretns will be thrilled.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I''ll probably just call my parents (I''m an only child), then he''ll call his and tell them to tell his siblings, then we''ll tell a couple close friends (probably through texts, considering how our friends all are) and then just put it on Facebook. I''m on Facebook more than my BF is, but I just *know* he will want to change both of our profile pics to us right after he proposes. He''ll be as excited as I am, I know he''ll probably encourage me to call/text more people than I already am. Hehehe. :)

The reason we would just call our parents is that they all know it''s coming any time now. If we arranged to see them for anything other than the usual family gatherings that both sets of parents always set up, they would all just ask right then so there wouldn''t be a point.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
I would have loved to had gotten our immediate family members together to tell them all at once but being that both my fiance''s & my parents are divorced and don''t get a long with their exes, we had to tell them separately. We told our parents and (most) grandparents in person (went to 6 different houses in different parts of ohio in two days
14.gif
) and then I called my aunts and uncles that i''m close to. Fiance''s mom told everyone else in his family so he didn''t get a chance.

then I myspaced it (with pics, o course) and my best friend and future moh facebooked it... she put this as her status: "YAY! My best friends are engaged! Congrats, Jaylex and Mr. Jaylex!"... so a lot of people found out that way lol.

And our pastor made an announcement during church with us standing in front of the congregation.. (we play in the worship band so we were up there anyway lol)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results