shape
carat
color
clarity

D.NEA produces radiant diamond, >1 carat, G, IF grade!!!!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Created diamonds have a come a long way. Remember when they were only industrial? And then when you could only get orange ones? And then only up to half a carat?

Check this out:

D.NEA has produced an internally flawless radiant cut diamond that is over a carat! This could be the whitest, cleanest lab-grown diamond yet!

radiant_diamond_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: D.NEA produces radiant diamond, >1 carat, G, IF grade!!!

i saw that on there site and i had a feeling that was special. I didnt know clarity was that hard to obtain.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hey let me mini thread jack you.

Do you know what costs more, fancy intense yellow fancy yellow, for fancy light yellow.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

nielseel|1363447278|3406299 said:
hey let me mini thread jack you.

Do you know what costs more, fancy intense yellow, fancy yellow, or fancy light yellow?

That's tricky. I know that fancy blue is considered more desirable than the deeper ones (even if not by me), so is a little more valuable.

Have a look at D.NEA's yellows, click on the round shape so you're looking at the same cut, click show all and then compare prices. They are not far off. The fancy intense seems to be a little higher than fancy vivid or plain fancy yellow.

Eric could answer this better than I.

I know that orange is less desirable than yellow, so orangy yellow is little less valuable than say, fancy intense yellow.

Having said all that, I'm personally not interested in colours less saturated than intense.

Yellow is definitely easier on the budget than blue or pink!

I think it's only fair to warn you that once you start with fcds, you never stop!! :wacko:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought about that but they dont really have any lighter yellows.... so its hard to say if its because no one wants them or because they are harder to make.... i got the slightest idea in my head (though i know it would take months probably for the right stone to come up ) but to do a bypass ring with my pear and a colored pair.... the pribably id put melee in the shank to match each pear.... something like this but bypass verses

Id like to do it with a yellow and my white i thiiiiink.

blue-duet-ring.jpg

blue_white_diamond_bypass_ring_close_up.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful ring idea.

Pears are really rare. I think D.NEA has only ever produced four (and they were all blue).

But you could email them and ask if they'll put you on a waiting list. They do that.

Any particular reason you'd like fancy light yellow over fancy or fancy intense?

I always think the fancy light yellow look a bit too close to the lower colour (O-P) diamonds.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

i guess i dont understand, couldnt they just make one? Or is it they cant make one large enough?

I dont like it really really yellow is all, fancy yellow would be what i would be going for.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think D.NEA grows both HPHT and CVD diamonds, but the HPHT ones end up shaped like the chamber where they are made, and the CVD ones start out as a flat tablet and grow upwards. As far as I can tell, most pears start out as rough that is already kind of pear-shaped, or they start out as marquises and get chipped. Pears are cheaper per carat because they aren't a popular shape, so it makes no sense to cut a nice symmetric bit of rough into a pear.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

nielseel|1363462823|3406497 said:
i guess i dont understand, couldnt they just make one? Or is it they cant make one large enough?

I dont like it really really yellow is all, fancy yellow would be what i would be going for.

Hi Nielseel,
Sorry I wasn't clearer - if you want something they don't currently have for sale, you let them know and they will try to cut it, if they have a suitable rough. That's what I meant by a waitlist (that's what it's called on their website). It might take a while though.

Here's what Eric told me when I asked him about pears:

If they (the cutters) know someone is looking for a certain shape/size, they can cut a pear when they see a suitable rough. Usually they cut pears when the inclusions are placed in such a way that it wouldn't make a good round or square shape.

So if you let Eric know that you'd like a fancy yellow pear, and specify a range of size and clarity that would be acceptable, he can pass that on to the cutters in Antwerp.

Sorry if I made it sound they were unobtainable!

Does that help?

I believe that D.NEA only produces HPHT diamonds, I'm not so sure about CVD.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

periwinklegirl|1363477645|3406696 said:
nielseel|1363462823|3406497 said:

Hi Nielseel,
Sorry I wasn't clearer - if you want something they don't currently have for sale, you let them know and they will try to cut it, if they have a suitable rough. That's what I meant by a waitlist (that's what it's called on their website). It might take a while though.

Here's what Eric told me when I asked him about pears:

If they (the cutters) know someone is looking for a certain shape/size, they can cut a pear when they see a suitable rough. Usually they cut pears when the inclusions are placed in such a way that it wouldn't make a good round or square shape.

So if you let Eric know that you'd like a fancy yellow pear, and specify a range of size and clarity that would be acceptable, he can pass that on to the cutters in Antwerp.

Sorry if I made it sound they were unobtainable!

Does that help?

I believe that D.NEA only produces HPHT diamonds, I'm not so sure about CVD.

yeah see thats what i figured. I assumed it was like other rought that if it isnt suitable for more popular shapes it would be cut into less popular ones. only problem is i dont think it can be large enough at this time. plus my ultimate wish would be to have one with yellow flour, and i dont think thats a possibility with MMDs

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

nielseel|1363478133|3406703 said:
Only problem is i don't think it can be large enough at this time. plus my ultimate wish would be to have one with yellow fluor, and i don't think that's a possibility with MMDs

Lab grown diamonds can have fluor.

Are you looking for a yellow pear that's over a carat? Maybe they can make them.

Still worth an email to ask. A few years ago there were no blues over a carat and now there are.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade

This turned into quite the thread jack :)

Currently, we have intense yellows priced a bit more than the other saturations. Vivid, fancy and fancy light yellow are priced the same, with orange-yellow less. Blues are a little different, with vivid at the top.

Lighter yellows are a bit more prone to color zoning than intense and vivid yellows. There are plenty of off-white and canary yellow mined diamonds available, so we try to focus on the more saturated yellows.

Lab-grown diamonds grow in a very uniform shape that works best for round and square diamonds. The long, narrow pear shape doesn't fit into the rough very well, so they have a rather low yield. As an example, a rough yellow diamond that could cut into a 2ct asscher might only cut into a 1ct pear or a 1/2ct marquise, depending on dimensions. Yellows can be grown relatively clean, so the "pears due to inclusion placement" don't come up very often anymore. So, large lab-grown yellow pears are not impossible, but are not very likely either.

@nielseel - That blue and white pear ring is gorgeous. It is a 5ct fancy vivid blue and the ring sold for around $7MM at a Sotheby's auction a couple years ago.

MeetGems

Rough_Rock
Trade

whats difference between lab grown and real diamonds ? :rolleyes:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Lab grown diamonds are real diamonds. They are all carbon with small amounts of impurities affecting the crystal structure and causing the colors. They are optically and chemically identical to mined diamonds and will test as diamond by any test. Mined and lab diamonds come in the same range of colors, i.e. just about any color you can name.

The majority of mined diamonds are white to pale yellow or brown, but the impurities actually make stones easier to grow and the majority of lab grown diamonds are colored, with yellow, blue, and pink most common. Under a ultra-highpowered microscope you can see irregularities in the molecular growth pattern of the mined diamonds while the lab grown diamonds are more regular.

Unfortunately the vast majority of what is sold as lab diamonds are fraudulently mislabeled cubic zirconias, which are a completely different substance. The diamond and jewelry industry goes out of its way to keep the lab diamond companies from allowing people to think they are buying a mined diamond, but apparently has no problem with letting people think that they are buying a lab diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results