shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold or plat. for diamond necklace and earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rp3812

Rough_Rock
Which is better for a diamond solitaire necklace and earrings...white gold or plat.?

I looked at 18k white gold diamond necklace and earrings from Bailey, Biddle and Banks. I noticed most of their necklaces and earrings are made in 18k white gold or gold. Anyone bought from them?

I''m concerned about tarnishing. I''ve read other posts and that it depends on your skin chemistry. Also read posts that most jewelers recommend wg for pendants and earrings.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know which is better exactly, but I think most jewelers recommend white gold since platinum is so much more expensive. With earrings, especially the 3-prong martini setting like I have, the only part that''s visible to other people is the prongs, and they are extremely small, so even if the setting turns yellow, no one will be able to see it. I probably should have gotten them in platinum because I do have sensitive ears, but I just can''t see spending the extra money for platinum. Now, I also have a diamond necklace, but I got that in platinum. I didn''t want to deal with the chain changing color on me, and the setting of the diamond is also more visible to people.

So, I guess my best advice is this, get what you like, and don''t let the jeweler tell you what you should get. If you''re worried about the white gold turning yellow, platinum is the way to go. If you don''t want to spend the money for platinum, get white gold. White gold can be replated, and I don''t think it costs that much.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I''d go for the platinum if it''s in your budget. I believe it''s stronger than WG and won''t need replated.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for platinum also. I just think it''s a better investment in the end. I''m also a fan because I have the sensitive skin problem.

rp3812

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. Yep, platinum was my inital choice. It''s just harder to find at some jewelers.

I think white gold is sufficient for earrings, but has anyone had a wg necklace change color on them? Do wg chains need to be rhodium plated like wg rings?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple of white gold necklaces that I have worn against my skin for years without any yellowing or skin sensitivity. No problems with my white gold earrings either.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one piece in white gold, it''s a diamond pendant my husband bought me, but I wear it so infrequently that I haven''t noticed any change in the color of the gold. However, his first wedding band was 18k white gold, and it immediately started to change color. It had a braided design, though, and the part that "stood out" the most was the part you could tell the rhodium or whatever had rubbed off of. If I had a choice in any jewelry (and hubby knows this now) I would pick platinum every time. It''s a peace of mind thing with me, knowing there''s no way it will ever change color.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for WG and use the money you save for the diamond.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with Tacori. Save the money and go white gold. I''ve got a few necklaces in 18k wg and none of them have tarnished with everyday wear. But if you got the money and you''re set on plat. then go for it.

rp3812

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the input, it''s been helpful and I''ve decided to go with white gold instead of platinum.

Lastly, does anyone know if 18k or 14k makes a difference in diamond pendants and earrings?

rp3812

Rough_Rock
forgot to add...I''m concerned if there''s a difference in color with 18k wg vs. 14k wg.

I spoke to one jeweler and he said most wg jewelry is rhodium plated so it would look the same b/c of the plating.

took a look at the forums re: 18k and 14k wg but I''m still confused.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I would go for platinum, if it''s in your budget. I have platinum with my ear studs and I have a platinum diamonds by the yard type necklace. Both have withstood the test of time. I also have 14K white gold/diamond hoops and they are fine.

Platinum has a substantialness that white gold rarely has, especially in the thinner chains that would most likely be used in a solitaire pendant.

I am sure some of the diamond vendors here would be able to help you out with the earrings, chain and pendant. You would get better value and save on the sales tax too.

Happy shopping!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 5:57:28 AM
Author: rp3812

took a look at the forums re: 18k and 14k wg but I''m still confused.
Have you seen this thread ?

I would pic up the line from there about Palladium WG. Is it really so unusual in the US? That would definitely not turn yellow - but slightly grayish: IMO, more palatable ''fault''.

Rhodium plating doesn''t last any better on platinum than WG or silver or ... costume jewelry, and I really have no idea why platinum is ever plated. So, yeah, everything looks the same as long as the plating lasts. Who needs to deal with that though? And why would anyone want platinum jewelry to look the same as every 2c trinket plated with rhodium?
11.gif
12.gif

My 2c

Caratcutter

Rough_Rock
As a jeweler I would suggest 14kt white gold. You can do platinum if you prefer, but there will not be as much wear and tear on earrings as there would be on a ring. There is a new product out that is called X1 that has come out by Stuller Settings, a findings company for the jewelry industry. This metal is made in such a way that it does not need to be Rhodium plated...EVER....

Just food for thought

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caratcutter,

Is the X1 a white gold/palladium mix?

I''d go WG for necklace and earrings definitely, but I''d want the kind with no rhodium plating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results