shape
carat
color
clarity

What material is your wedding / engagement ring made from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings have both metals. Gold bands and my diamond has a platinum head.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum.
1.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding ring and e-ring are done in platinum.

(However, I love all the precious metals. They all have their own characteristics that make them beautiful
2.gif
)

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Err, well to be honest, my original set was 14k yg.

Now I have a set in Platinum, another in wg, and another in yg.

I guess I got bored easily.

*BLUSH*

win

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Platinum. DH insisted. At first I wanted a rose gold wedding ring, but I'm very happy with what we ended up with. And platinum goes better with my heirloom deco platinum ering.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I will be making my e-ring in platinum, but seriously reconsidering. Just because everyone LIKES platinum and it's the rage, not sure if it's the best...It's like shopping at Tiffany's...(no it's NOT Friday!)

The thin white gold setting I have is temporary, but I like the light airy weight of it and shiny whiteness of it. Platinum is heavier, and gets that patina I am not at all crazy about. Any one have some ideas on what could be a stronger white metal that is precious and lovely for my ring? I would have to get a matching w-ring, so if it's a weird metal mix, they will both have to be custome designed...*GROAN*

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
setting of the original promise/e-ring is made from "chinese goldsmith shop" 18k yg and the upgrade ering is in a temp stuller 14k yg solitaire.

our wedding band is pt900 platinum and 18k yg with a teeny weeny 0.01ct diamond chip.

weddingnband.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I am old enough to see fashions come and go.

My prediction:

In 2-3 years, advertisements and jewelers' cases will be filled with the Warmth of Yellow Gold (to match the Warmth of Your Love) and some folks are gonna be looking at their gray rings thinking.... hmmmm......

One obvious solution: cover the metal with diamonds.

2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
dbgaap THAT is the idea of the future...no metals, just diamonds!
love.gif

I say we use a clear quartz setting for the diamonds, or even a composite plexiglass type setting for a clear setting...
3.gif
love.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Platinum..but you can't see much metal since it's a 3-sided pave band.

Tali

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/23/2004 11:05:26 AM Nicrez wrote:

Platinum is heavier, and gets that patina I am not at all crazy about.
----------------
Not all platinum gets that patina. The most common plat alloy is 95plat/5cobalt. It's the cobalt that makes the Pt more susceptible to the patina, though it's easily polished. Other plat alloys that are not as susceptible to the patina include irridium, ruthenium, and Plat-S. Plat-S is a patented (I believe) alloy and the exact mix I don't think is public knowledge. My ER is made of plat/Ru mix. My WR was custom made of Plat-S. I cannot tell the difference between the two metals, and they are both VERY shiny and haven't had the patina. That being said, I've only had the ER for 21mos, and the WR for about 10. I mostly wear my plain WG band anyway.......

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My wedding rings are 14k yellow gold.

My new 3 stone ring is 18k white gold.

This tiny anniversary ring I just had made is 14k white gold and I don't think it's been rhodium plated because it's more yellow than my 3 stone ring. I figure it will match the 3 stone or the wedding ring since it's kind of in between!

I don't care for platinum. Sometimes it's nice to have cheaper taste.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Patty, I agree...sadly, mine isn't ALWAYS cheap in everything...
cry.gif
Actually, my friend has a x-prong in platinum, and she now covets my simple (and temporary) "Eiffel Tower" white gold setting because it's so thin and light she can't even feel it on.

Tali, thanks for the info. I am happy that my ring is thin and light, but I think I could happily wear a heavier ring and maybe Platinum is the way to go, not sure...most likely I will get platinum with a good mix for less patina and more durability. WHich mix stays whiter and shinier and scratches the least?! Thanks!!!

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Original wedding ring was yellow gold. New 10 yr anniversary upgrade is platinum. Love the weight of it, feels very substantial on. I had never been a fan of the white metals but this ring truely makes my diamonds looks spectacular.

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
19K white gold....
i love it! my ring was custom made by a goldsmith more than a year ago on his recommendation and it has retained it's high polish and 'white' color. I love white metals but not the 'grayness' of platinum so this was ideal. It's also quite scratch resistant.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
lol, the YG thing is already happening with some maul stores here in Singapore. This store has a current promo on YG items.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad to see that YG is making a come back. It seems like YG is really under appreciated these days. I have friends who will just not even consider YG for any piece of jewelery. They think platinum is the ONLY way to go. I have to admit that I used to be a platinum snob too. However, I realized that YG has its own characteristics that make it beautiful. I love all the precious metals, they have different characteristics to offer that make them beautiful in their own way. I'm actually totally in to YG these days and I'm trying to look at more YG pieces to balance out my plat pieces.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I am thankful that I am able to wear all the metals; silver, YG, WG and platinum without it looking mis-matched with my skin tone. My mum, for example, does not suit wearing WG and can only wear YG. I am sure that some have found that certain metals just do not suit their skin tone.
5.gif

myrah

Rough_Rock
My e-ring is a rose gold shank with a white gold bezel for a 1.5C princess cut with 4, .05C round side diamonds. My w-ring is tricolor: rose gold with 5 rubies, white gold with 5 diamonds and yellow gold with 4 emeralds. It signifies love, friendship and fidelity. I am married 25 years. Love the rose gold! Glad it''s making a comeback. By the way, I wear the rings all the time. Big knuckles make taking the rings off a hassle.

I will post pics soon.

m

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
Both rings are in plat. It''s definitly is the trend now, but I like how strong it is. I sleep better at night knowing each diamond is tucked strongly into the plat. A little weird?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That is not weird at all, it is logical. Think about how many yellow gold rings you see with plat heads for the extra seciruty, not to mention the color issue. I myself like both yellow and white metals, but yellow gold makes my skin a wee bit green. I think metal prefrence has alot to do with the undertones of your skin just like clothing I think jewlery needs to matched to what suits your coloring best.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
platinum - 900 ering, 950 wband, don''t know the alloys.

As tomatoe suggested, I am one of those who have found that yellow gold does not suit my skin color. A few people have told me otherwise, but I just don''t like yg on me. Plus, I have a nickel allergy and for me, going with plat was safer and easier for FH, who picked out my ring without my direct involvement.

just lookin

Rough_Rock
on a side note... i really would like my setting in white gold.. unfortunately i''m allergic to nickle (someone once told me that gold was alloyed with nickle to make it white) - and am afraid this will irritate my skin.. is platinum my only choice? anyone else out there allergic to nickle but can wear white gold??
thanks!!

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I/we haven''t purchased any rings yet, but I will definitely be having platinum. Currently I only wear silver - I am just not a yellow gold person - and so I can only really go with either platinum or white gold.... looking at them both, I think I prefer platinum - WG is just too "shiny". Plus I don''t want to have to re-coat (or whatever the term is).
1.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
Platinum- but you can''t see alot of it in my ering and my wedidng band is only 2mm.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Original set is 14K yg. Upgrade 14k wg. Not a big fan of platinum. Actually prefer yg for gemstone rings depending on the stone color.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
14K yellow gold. I''ve never been a big fan of platinum either.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wear white gold, even though I wouldn''t want to anyway. I have a nickel allergy as well and the upkeep is not worth it.

Since having all of my jewelry done in platinum I have never hada single reaction and I love the look. I keep mine polished so nothing has ever gotten dull on me. My friend loves the dullness of hers so she never polishes it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results