shape
carat
color
clarity

Stainless steel watch band and nickel sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Earlier this year I received a beautiful Rolex watch with stainless steel band from my husband. I''ve been wearing it daily for the last 6 months with no problems. Then about a month a go I started to get these rashes on my wrist where the band touchs my skin. I ignored it at first but it got worse. Finally I realized that it''s because I''m allergic to nickel. I should''ve known because I always have to wear nickel free earrings, and sometimes I get rashes from the buttons on my jeans if I wear them for a few days in a row. I did some googling and found out that Rolex stainless steel actually has pretty high nickel content to make it stronger. I''ve heard that you can paint a coat of clear nail polish to solve this problem, but I really don''t want to do that to my beautiful watch.

Anyone else has this problem? what can I do? I''d hate not to be able to wear the watch often. Please help!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the only thing i can think of is changing it to a leather strap. or...tell hubby to buy you a 18K or platinum model.
2.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:26:15 PM
Author:Kissmark
Earlier this year I received a beautiful Rolex watch with stainless steel band from my husband. I''ve been wearing it daily for the last 6 months with no problems. Then about a month a go I started to get these rashes on my wrist where the band touchs my skin. I ignored it at first but it got worse. Finally I realized that it''s because I''m allergic to nickel. I should''ve known because I always have to wear nickel free earrings, and sometimes I get rashes from the buttons on my jeans if I wear them for a few days in a row. I did some googling and found out that Rolex stainless steel actually has pretty high nickel content to make it stronger. I''ve heard that you can paint a coat of clear nail polish to solve this problem, but I really don''t want to do that to my beautiful watch.

Anyone else has this problem? what can I do? I''d hate not to be able to wear the watch often. Please help!
Bring your watch in to an authorized dealer and have the band removed from the watch head, and have it ultrasonic cleaned.There may be microscopic bits of metal in between the links that are caught in the oil,makeup and dead skin build up between the links that are causing you to break out.If you wear the watch everyday then it needs to be cleaned on a regular basis with your other fine jewelry,this could cause a break out.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 1:49:41 AM
Author: jewelerman
Bring your watch in to an authorized dealer and have the band removed from the watch head, and have it ultrasonic cleaned.There may be microscopic bits of metal in between the links that are caught in the oil,makeup and dead skin build up between the links that are causing you to break out.If you wear the watch everyday then it needs to be cleaned on a regular basis with your other fine jewelry,this could cause a break out.

do you mean a breakout like acne caused by oil and dirt? i don''t think it''s that kind of breakout because the area actualy itches very badly, like a rash

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 5:49:15 AM
Author: Kissmark

Date: 10/9/2008 1:49:41 AM
Author: jewelerman

do you mean a breakout like acne caused by oil and dirt? i don''t think it''s that kind of breakout because the area actualy itches very badly, like a rash
No not acne...a reaction to metals...itching,small red bumps or red skin...the oil and stuff holds the metal bits and when moisture is in the mix then there is a reaction for some people who are metal sensitive.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I have a metal allergy and usually end up doing the clear nail polish route. I also limit my time wearing the watch/jewelry. I never wear it when I might sweat alot such as exercise or when it''s really hot. If I get a rash I don''t wear it again until it is completely healed. It is a drag!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results