shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I butcher these earrings before they butcher me?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Hi folks! I need some design advice. I just got these vintage 2 CTW flower earrings in the mail. They are lovely except I can not wear them. The omega back on one pinches so badly and the other one is a bit uncomfortable. I was hoping to use a pair of merelani mint garnet ovals I have to have a custom pair of dangly earrings made for my wedding. What do you all think of using these earrings as part of it? I was thinking of making an appointment with Quest tomorrow after work to discuss. Do you think it will make financial sense or should I just return them? The earrings were $500 (I think a good deal) and each center stone is .40 surrounded by another .60 the stones are nice quality. The mint garnets are .69 and .65 and were another $150. The top diamonds are .29 and .30 I I1 (eye clean, great cut) and another $150. So already I have $800 in this. What do you think the ballpark would be to have the diamonds and garnets bezeled and put on on dangles? Is it worth it you think? I do think the result could be just right for my wedding. Or should I just return the uncomfortable earrings?

earrings 021.JPG

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Why thank you, Maevie! I also remembered I have some marquis I can add. I had 2 of .35 CTW and 1 .29 and 1 .35 which are actually a great match. I'm not sure where they would fit in because I'm liking the white-green-white look. I'll bring them though and see if the jeweler has ideas.

ETA - they could be leaves for the flowers. I will try to experiment with the layout.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like them as they are. Can you not just have the backs loosened ( my mabe pearls pinched like mad and I had them adjusted...) --or converted into something like a french hook?

cheers--Sharon

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My first thought was to do a french hook. I''ll definitely explore my options, but only have a 3 day return period so need to decide pretty quickly. Thanks, Sharon!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I love them the way you have them laid out. Definitely go for it! Love the idea of them dangling.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the way you've laid them out!! Go ahead with the project!! The pinching problem will be solved and you'll have gorgeous one of a kind earrings for your wedding.
9.gif

edtited for spelling of course
20.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would attach a jump ring to them so you can wear them alone on a french hook, or as you laid them out if the other two stones are set in a hoop/french hook. I hope that makes sense... they are so pretty I would want to wear them every day!

I will try to find pictures of what I mean.

ETA: I meant shepherd leverback rather than french hook.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is the closest I could find in a quick search...

I would set the gemstones bezel on the hoop, then have the optional diamond dangle.

dangles22345.jpeg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/4/2010 3:33:27 PM
Author: shimmer
I would attach a jump ring to them so you can wear them alone on a french hook, or as you laid them out if the other two stones are set in a hoop/french hook. I hope that makes sense... they are so pretty I would want to wear them every day!

I will try to find pictures of what I mean.

ETA: I meant shepherd leverback rather than french hook.

I think Shimmer''s idea is genius! This way, you get to have your cake and eat it, too - fancy wedding earrings plus a more low-key option for everyday!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That was a bad example. Here is closer to what I mean, but instead of the last diamond would be the removable diamond flower so you could put it on a plain leverback as well.

diamonddangles121212.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks circe, I''m relieved that you get what I''m saying...I''m having such a hard time explaining what I mean!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 8:39:26 PM
Author:kelpie
Hi folks! I need some design advice. I just got these vintage 2 CTW flower earrings in the mail. They are lovely except I can not wear them. The omega back on one pinches so badly and the other one is a bit uncomfortable. I was hoping to use a pair of merelani mint garnet ovals I have to have a custom pair of dangly earrings made for my wedding. What do you all think of using these earrings as part of it? I was thinking of making an appointment with Quest tomorrow after work to discuss. Do you think it will make financial sense or should I just return them? The earrings were $500 (I think a good deal) and each center stone is .40 surrounded by another .60 the stones are nice quality. The mint garnets are .69 and .65 and were another $150. The top diamonds are .29 and .30 I I1 (eye clean, great cut) and another $150. So already I have $800 in this. What do you think the ballpark would be to have the diamonds and garnets bezeled and put on on dangles? Is it worth it you think? I do think the result could be just right for my wedding. Or should I just return the uncomfortable earrings?
To get a pair of earrings like your lay-out, for just over $800 looks like a bargain to me! The flowers are just beautiful and with the mint garnets and RBs? STUNNING!

Say it costs a couple of hundred dollars to have them made, that would still be the most incredibly gorgeous wedding day earrings for $1k. I can''t think I''ve ever seen a pair like that for $1k. I think it would be totally worth it and I''d do it in a heartbeat.

Lovely!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your kind suggestions! I took them over to Quest this evening. I'm glad it was productive because I walked over a mile to get there! They were very helpful and we have a plan. The sales woman, Anita expressed concern that the flower cluster might feel uncomfortably heavy at the bottom of the drop. She had the idea to keep the current posts, get wide push backs and add two chains, one with a bezeled diamond and one with the bezeled garnet. I think this will look very cool and save on custom frabrication costs. The only hand fabrication will be the garnet oval bezels. It will bring them to $1240 which I have pangs about but Anita was estimating you could easily pay that much for one of the center stones in the cluster. She said they were very white. I plan on unloading my .70 WF 8 prong studs to finance it since I won't need so many pairs of earrings. I have a pair of .78 OEC martinis that were a gift from my fiance so I wear those more. I think the end result should be a nice piece of heirloom jewelry. Here is my "artist's" mock-up. HA!

earringmockup1214.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, I do not like the proposed design - it lacks balance. The drops are too small compared to the large flowers.

Sorry.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 6:25:00 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Personally, I do not like the proposed design - it lacks balance. The drops are too small compared to the large flowers.

Sorry.

Agreed, really not digging the proposed design. I like your idea better, or just changing the mounting of the flower piece so it is more comfortable to wear.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for being candid! I do like the original layout better but the cost would have been a lot more. My coworker said they should just be jacket drops, which I think is a great idea. I will call quest and see if that is possible. That way if they look strange at least they are removable.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm. Since money is a factor ... what about making the earrings + the garnets drops to add to your existing studs? Just a simple hoop at the top of the garnet to go over the back of your studs posts, and, voila! Dressy.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Would the drops be stiff, or on a chain?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love the design you originally laid out, LOVE IT! the new design seems a little odd and unbalanced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results