shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating and Two-Tone Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did a thread search but didn't find anything specific...so I'm wondering.

I have a bracelet that has identical links all around but they alternate being white gold or yellow gold. The white gold links could certainly use a rhodium plating....they look like very pale yellow links next to dark yellow links, so it's time. But is it possible to dip alternating links? Or can they dip the whole thing and get the rhodium off the yellow gold links? I'd like the bracelet to remain a two-tone bracelet.

Anybody know how it's done with two-tone jewelry?
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t know how it''s done exactly, but i know it''s done. you can have alternating links redipped or replated or rewhatever it is they do.

signed,
a fan of two-tone
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure it can be done also. Let me know what you find out. I also love 2 tone jewelry, best of both worlds as far as I''m concerned.
2.gif

bettyann

Rough_Rock
One way to do it is to paint nail poilsh on the yellow gold, rhodium plate, and then remove the nail polish.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2005 5:54:43 PM
Author: bettyann
One way to do it is to paint nail poilsh on the yellow gold, rhodium plate, and then remove the nail polish.
Interesting. I didn''t know that.

DH dropped the bracelet off yesterday at the jeweler''s. I''m hoping to get it back by Friday night, but they have been swamped so I''m not banking on it. We''ll see how it went!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Good question, FG. I have been told that it can be done, but it''s obviously more difficult that just dunking an entire white gold item. I have several 2-tone pieces myself, and although I have never had them re-rhodium plated, it''s something I need to look into as well.

I love my 2-tone jewelry, and the idea of painting nailpolish on the yellow parts seems tedious in itself. Is this what the jeweler will do? Then how do they get the polish off? Is that safe for the gold?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s hoping for a quick return!
i want to see this two-tone bracelet
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well phooey, the bracelet''s not done. The jeweler is hemming and hawwing about how this isn''t a simple job and will take awhile, and that they''re busy blablabla.
20.gif
I know they''re busy, but I did tell them that if it couldn''t get done by today (Christmas eve) then I would bring the piece back to get plated another time, since I wanted to wear it this weekend. They had no problem taking the bracelet and promising it''d get done when it got dropped off 3 days ago...and now I can''t wear it this weekend.
29.gif

Anyway, not a major thing, but it is inconsiderate to promise me and then reneg, especially when I told them I would bring it back another time if it couldn''t get done by today. Anyway, in the grand scheme of life it''s nothing, but I''m a little irked.

Hopefully something sparkly is under the tree for me in the meantime.
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I don''t blame you one bit, FG, for being annoyed. Nothing makes me angrier than when *people don''t do what they say they are going to do.* It''s literrally my biggest peeve in life!!!!!!! If they could not absolutely do the work by today, then they should have said so, and you could bring it back after the holiday and still gotten to wear it.

Are you expecting anything sparkly tomorrow?
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DL. I know you understand all too well about jewelers not delivering on their word!

I was expecting something sparkly under the tree, and I was not disappointed! I will post a thread to SMTR when I can get some pictures taken...maybe tomorrow! I didn't want DH to spend a lot, but I did find something cute I liked that was fairly inexpensive and he ended up getting it for me.

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
My mom recently had a two toned bracelet redone. Hers alternates with rectangular diamond sections with large "X's" in between. (If this makes sense?...). The owner said it was fairly simple but as it was Monday afternoon, they were already tied up with weekend business and could not do it until the next day. Otherwise, they said they could normally do it in a couple of hours.

The owner explained that they actually covered up the yellow gold sections (can't remember with what...plastic or something?) and dipped the whole thing. She said that it was less labor intensive than taking it apart. All I know is that it came out beautifully and they polished and cleaned the other sections that were not dipped.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would add someone's experience.
emsmile.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 2:20:48 AM
Author: Skyblue
My mom recently had a two toned bracelet redone. Hers alternates with rectangular diamond sections with large ''X''s'' in between. (If this makes sense?...). The owner said it was fairly simple but as it was Monday afternoon, they were already tied up with weekend business and could not do it until the next day. Otherwise, they said they could normally do it in a couple of hours.

The owner explained that they actually covered up the yellow gold sections (can''t remember with what...plastic or something?) and dipped the whole thing. She said that it was less labor intensive than taking it apart. All I know is that it came out beautifully and they polished and cleaned the other sections that were not dipped.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would add someone''s experience.
emsmile.gif
My MIL has an identical bracelet to your mom''s! It was her mom''s and was in dire need of being rhodium plated and polished up. I am not sure how they rhodium plated it as well, but it was at the jewelers for a few days as it wasn''t a "quick" job. She wore it on Christmas eve, and it is gorgeous! It looks brand new.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
so...does the jeweler still have the bracelet?
20.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep.
20.gif

DH works across the street from the store so he keeps popping in and it''s not done. He''s going there this afternoon.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They sure are taking their sweet time with this bracelet, humph.
14.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I really need to find a new jeweler. They could''ve done the rhodium 10 times over by now. On top of it, for some reason they''re closed today, though it''s not a holiday, nor is it a day they are normally closed. I''m sure they''ll be closed for new years eve tomorrow, and they don''t open on Sunday or Monday...which means, MAYBE next Tuesday??? ARGHH!@HGHHGH!!!!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s one thing if they told you there would be a hold up with this project. But that doesn''t seem to be the case. Time to find another more timely jeweler. This isn''t a big job to do. Geez, sorry you have to wait some more.
14.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice new avatar btw, Kaleigh!!!
30.gif

I definitely need to find someone new...it''s hard to start up a new jeweler relationship! No history! But clearly my history with this person isn''t getting me anywhere anyway...
20.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I agree, FG, it seems time to find someone new. Is this the same jeweler that made your beautiful e-ring and wedding band? They took their sweet time on that too. Having an honest timeline to work with is so important to me. Being dragged along each and every time you deal with them would get old really fast. Geez, you could have been wearing the braclet for weeks and then taken it back to them after the holidays if they were just up front with you to begin with!!!!! Changing jewelers is like changing doctors -- no one likes to do it but sometimes it needs to be done.
20.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is indeed the same jeweler who did my wedding set. I swore no more custom work from them after that, but figured they were still good for prong checkups, ring sizing, rhodium plating, etc...the little stuff. It seems that may not be the case after all. Hmpfh.
38.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of two tone jewelry, here's my new pendant I got for Christmas (2 hearts and a butterfly). I loooooooooove it. The angle of the pictures isn't the best for the diamond sparkle (and the pendant is dirty from me wearing it day and night
9.gif
), but I was trying to get the interplay between the white gold and rose gold.

And the jeweler is closed today. I forgot that it's a holiday. Anyway, DH is going to get the bracelet tomorrow and if it hasn't been rhodium plated, I told him to get it back from them. If they can't get something like that done in 2+ weeks, then someone else can.

pend0123.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your new heart necklace FG. It''s very pretty!!! Glad you''re getting your bracelet back tomorrow. You''ll have to post some pics after this long awaited return!!! Your hubby should ask them what took them so long anyways.
29.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just want to tell you I''m not holding out on you guys...the bracelet is STILL not freaking done. They''ve had it since December 22nd! Give me a freaking break! I just found out they sent it out to be rhodium plated (uh, what??!!?!?!! they sent it out?!?!! are you kidding me?!?!?) and when DH went in again today, they said it wouldn''t be done till next Tuesday. He read them a riot act and said this was just total BS...anyway, I don''t think we''ll be using them for anything ever again. Can you believe that????

I hope it''s okay and they don''t ruin it somehow...the bracelet was from Turkey and was a gift from my mother in law when I got married to her son. It''s not an expensive piece by any stretch, but it has sentimental value. So if anything happened to it....heads will roll.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
UNfreakinbelievable.
29.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is very frusterating FG. My FMIL and I went to a local jewelry store to look at wedding band and the woman who helped us said that they had a pen (instead of dipping) to do Rhodium plating. I had never heard of this what I suppose it would come in handy for two-tone jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results