shape
carat
color
clarity

Platnium or White Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paliquito

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I just had White Flash put together my GF''s engagement ring, and I have yet to propose to her (proposing 24 Feb). I got her a platimum diamond ring. My concern is that some people in my office were telling me to go with white gold rather than platium, because platinum scratches and turns into a ugly tone; it won''t shine anymore. What should I do? Should I change it to white Gold or leave it platinum? Which is better? Please help.
33.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pali, if you do a search for "platinum vs. white gold" on this site, you will see all the threads in which this topic has been discussed. What it comes down to is basically personal preference. There are advantages and disadvantages to both WG and Plat. Yes, platinum develops a "worn" look, and doesn''t stay super shiny, but to some that is part of its beauty. WG, on the other hand, also does not stay "white" forever. The white part eventually wears away, and you will have to take the ring to get it dipped, or rhodium-plated every so often. Platinum never "wears away." White gold is shinier, but there are maintenance costs involved with re-finishing it. You can also get platinum polished to get back the shine. It''s really up to you...

I have platinum, and I''m very happy with it. I like that it''s heavy, and very durable. Hope this helps.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is such a personal choice. There is really no right way. I like the heaviness of PLT. I also like the patina PLT developes over time. It is true you have to buff it but you have to re-dip WG. There are pros and cons for both.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A jeweler also told me that some people dip their platinum rings in rhodium to keep them shiny. So you can do that regardless of whether you have gold or platinum. Don''t worry about it at this point. I''m sure the ring is gorgeous and platinum is very nice!

wcgirlie

Rough_Rock
Many people are allergic to white gold because of the nickel content. Yes, platinum will get dull, but isn''t your health worth more than that? Plus, you can make platinum "shiny" again with a "dip" at the local jewelers--typically $40-60, in the original metal, not some cheap rhodium crap.

Signs of an allergic reaction include labored breathing, rashes around the neck/throat area, rashes around the contact area, stomach cramps, diarrhea, eczema, itching, and headaches. The severity of symptoms will vary depending on degree of allergy. Please keep this in mind.

Central Virginia

Rough_Rock
My take on it is this.
A Woman came into my Store with two Rings to Clean.
One White Gold wich she had for 3 years
One Platnum Ring she had for 5 months
I couldnt tell them apart they were equally worn.

That Platnum wears fast. On the other hand I had seen some white gold that were completly peeling and chipping in bad need of plating.

If you allready did Platnum stick with it not all girls get to wear platnum. Its Stronger, Its like the terminator two, it wont break or dissolve over time, it will bend, mold and move, But never Snap(prongs) chip and dissolve(loose) like Gold will,

Platnum is the stronger Metal and Worth more, stick with it and just have it Buffed when needed
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results