shape
carat
color
clarity

How thin is too thin... and finding a good jeweler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Another question for all of you! I have an antique ring shown here. My picture taking skills aren''t that great, sorry. Anyway, the bottom of the band is pretty thin since it is old and is in rose gold. I think it is ok for now, but want to be able to have a good, local jeweler to take it to for maintenance and everything. So... first question, how thin is too thin for the bottom of a band to be? Is there any type of rule? Secondly, how do all of you find trustworthy local jewelers. DH and I have only lived here a couple of years, and my jeweler back in my hometown is pretty good, but obviously I don''t live there so it''s kind of out of the question. How do you know you are working with a good jeweler... are there specific questions/ things I should be looking for? Thanks!

*M*

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2007 10:01:51 PM
Author:poptart
Another question for all of you! I have an antique ring shown here. My picture taking skills aren''t that great, sorry. Anyway, the bottom of the band is pretty thin since it is old and is in rose gold. I think it is ok for now, but want to be able to have a good, local jeweler to take it to for maintenance and everything. So... first question, how thin is too thin for the bottom of a band to be? Is there any type of rule? Secondly, how do all of you find trustworthy local jewelers. DH and I have only lived here a couple of years, and my jeweler back in my hometown is pretty good, but obviously I don''t live there so it''s kind of out of the question. How do you know you are working with a good jeweler... are there specific questions/ things I should be looking for? Thanks!

*M*
To answer your first Q, I think at some point you should (if you are able to find one) take the ring to a reputable jeweler and have them at least build up the shank of the ring to be more durable/sturdy if you''re planning to wear it often. How thin is too thin? It depends on how often you''ll wear the ring, and under what circumstances. 2nd Q: word of mouth is great of course, but you can visit several local jewelers and determine your own criteria as far as how long they''ve been in business, your personal comfort level with them, etc. Get your watch battery changed and see how they deal with that, I would say, and then move forward if you feel comfortable, with repair situations.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results