shape
carat
color
clarity

how do I clean and otherwise care for my e-ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
I am in an unusual situation, in that we got the setting and stone from different sources, both in the family/friend arena and at cost, and both out of state and so one day the finished product just arrived. Nobody ever told me how to clean the thing. Also, it''s my first piece of jewelry. When I heard about how hard it is to keep rings clean I was thinking "no it isn''t, mine is always clean..." but then I realized I may not be doing it correctly. (Sometimes when I wash my hands I leave it on and then I take it off after I dry my hands and wipe off the bottom of the stone with a Q-tip to dry it so water doesn''t get trapped between the stone and my finger. I wipe the top of the stone off with my shirt or a towel if it lookes smudged.) Am I scratching it up or something? My mom isn''t into jewelry AT ALL and has one nice ring that she only wears out to dinner occasionally and so I don''t think she ever even needs to clean it. Another lady I know told me to use a tooth brush and tooth-paste!?

If anyone has some good tips about how to keep it clean or clean it if it gets dirty, I''d really appreciate it. It''s platinum, diamond, and sapphire, in case that matters for cleaning purposes.

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif
Hi Nejarb,

The favored way of cleaning jewelry by most PS''rs is to use an ultrasonic cleaner. There is a pretty extensive thread about them in "shopping," you can do a search as well. I wouldn''t recommend scrubbing the platinum part of your ring with a toothbrush, as you may scratch the metal. Also, you will be amazed at how much dirt and grime get into your ring setting on a daily basis, just from pollution/skin oils/etc. It''s really easy to just pop your ring into the ultrasonic whenever you feel like it and voila! You have a clean ring!

I have the Sharper Image ultrasonic (the re-furbished one from e-bay), and I love it. It was around $50. It''s small and doesn''t take up much space on the bathroom counter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results