shape
carat
color
clarity

Have rock, need setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coeceo

Rough_Rock
(First Post)

I''ve put in about 10 hours of reading time in this forum and think Ive educated myself enough to ask my question.

Ive got a very meaningfull diamond that has been passed down to me from family (originally was an earing), being so old it is not perfect and actually contains a notable flaw (what marriage doesnt?). Me and my soon-to-be think it is perfect becuase neither of us are perfect either.

My Point:

Ive got the rock, i dont know much about it (approx. 5mm round cut, guessing around 1/2 carat)
I want to find a setting, platinum, prong (pref. 6). but unfortunately I cant find much help with setting shopping.

Can I trust online jewelers for band and setting quality (can only find reviews and testimonials for diamond shopping)?

How do I put my diamond in the setting? (Do I ship out to sellers, find a jewelry store myself, and advice for this?)

How will these settings I find online look with my diamond size?
-Most show 1 C + in pics, can I email to get these renderings or will I sound like an idiot?
-I hear about great customer service from forum memebers who are spending 10K but where can I get that when Im only buying a $700 setting?

Im a recent college grad so money is not flowing just yet. Plan is to beef the ring up for future occasions. Are certain settings easier to add sidestones?

Well I appreciate any help or resources anyone can refer me to for my setting questions.

-Nick

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2005 3:44:43 PM
Author:coeceo
How do I put my diamond in the setting?

Hi, Nick.

First: welcome. The first post is the hardest. Once people start "talking' to you, it gets easy to reply.

Second, there are many jewelers here (and in most likely in your locality, wherever it may be) who can set your diamond for you.

Third, there is no "standard" size diamond. Not everyone has a 1 carat stone! My engagement ring actually held two 1-point diaomnds set inside an oval of yellow gold. (One point is 1/100 of a carat.)

Fourth, if you use a reliable jeweler you can send the stone or leave it to be set.

Fifth, you can either buy a pre-made setting or have a setting custom-made. I always think that buyng one pre-made is cheaper, although some people swear that they can have custom work done equally cheaply. (I cannot!)

Take a look at the Tradeshop website for a look at many pre-made settings. Find some settings that appeal to you and your fiancée. Then you can either buy from one of those settings on-line from the Tradeshop, correspond with a jeweler on Pricescope who reponds to this thread and really seems to understand exactly what you want, to be on your wavelength, or you can take the stone into a local jeweler you know and show him a photo or sketch of what you like.

I am not sure I covered all points! Keep posting...and good luck!

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nick,

Here is a link to a page on the Tradeshop's website. (I chose it rather than the website of another jeweler because it is so vast.) This page features pre-made settings. The platinum bands appear to start at $575.00 and most can be used for a diamond between 1/2 carat and 3 carats. It is also possible that you can obtain a better price on one of the settings (or a very similar one) from someone here.

Instant Solitaires

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results