shape
carat
color
clarity

Crown Jewels in the Tower of London

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I went to see them a few weeks ago when we were in London and some of them really looked like paste to me. There were some items on display that you can really examine up close and look at as long as you pleased, and everything looked pretty real ( a few questionable emeralds maybe ). But the stuff that you wiz by on the conveyer belt looked as if some stones could be paste. But then unless you walk backwards for a while ( which I did try) it''s hard to get a good look. Anyone know?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now then, this is very interesting.

The "official" answer is that these are the real deal. They are heavily guarded as you probably noticed - and awesome.

However, I used to date a guardsman who told me (and please remember that this is heresay) that the ones on display are replicas. The real crown jewels, according to him, are stored away in vaults, within vaults, within vaults somewhere under the Tower.

So to answer you? Who knows! Don''t forget though, some of these jewels are original "native" cuts from a bygone era so they will never look like the modern day jewels we see now. So if they are the real ones, this may be why they don''t look how we expect them!

Apparently the coronation crown, orb and sceptre weigh so much that the Queen struggled during her coronation!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I was actually surprised at the lack of security. There were two guards but not armed or anything. On the other hand if someone did try to break the glass and take off with some of the jewels they''d probably be met outside pretty quickly with security and.

You could be right about the cutting style just being different. It sure would be interesting to find out what the story is one of these days.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I heard/read somewhere (can''t remember the details) that those shown in the Tower are all replicas and that actual crown jewels are stored somewhere underground (some say under the Tower, some say under the Buckingham palace...).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/23/2009 4:16:58 AM
Author: ma re
I heard/read somewhere (can''t remember the details) that those shown in the Tower are all replicas and that actual crown jewels are stored somewhere underground (some say under the Tower, some say under the Buckingham palace...).
That is what I heard as well, but has been many years since I visited the Tower.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2009 7:57:48 PM
Author: innerkitten
Interesting. I was actually surprised at the lack of security. There were two guards but not armed or anything. On the other hand if someone did try to break the glass and take off with some of the jewels they''d probably be met outside pretty quickly with security and.

You could be right about the cutting style just being different. It sure would be interesting to find out what the story is one of these days.
I think you''ll find they wouldn''t get outside! If you go there again, take a look at the doors and walls. Everything (I believe) goes into lockdown if the crown jewels are compromised. The thickness of the walls and doors would mean you''re hardly likely to get within a few feet, let alone outside!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t tell you but when I was there nothing looked fake.
37.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2009 5:27:31 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Now then, this is very interesting.

The 'official' answer is that these are the real deal. They are heavily guarded as you probably noticed - and awesome.

However, I used to date a guardsman who told me (and please remember that this is heresay) that the ones on display are replicas. The real crown jewels, according to him, are stored away in vaults, within vaults, within vaults somewhere under the Tower.

So to answer you? Who knows! Don't forget though, some of these jewels are original 'native' cuts from a bygone era so they will never look like the modern day jewels we see now. So if they are the real ones, this may be why they don't look how we expect them!

Apparently the coronation crown, orb and sceptre weigh so much that the Queen struggled during her coronation!
I hope that if they're really using vaults-within-vaults they're keeping them nice and humid for the stones! Ditto on the lack of escape routes that wouldn't have you squashed flat in five seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results