shape
carat
color
clarity

BASKET droop less than MARTINI - Here is why...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tinv

Rough_Rock
I have heard of a lot of people on Pricescope that Martini style studs don''t droop. They "nestle into your earlobe rather than sit on top of it".

I too like the 3 prongs style; but I kinda disagree that basket droop more than Martini. Now, I am not talking about the old high-prong basket. I am talking about the low double-gallery basket style. The base of the basket is flat as opposed to pointed. Unless you have large earring holes (like my mother) the Martini will not "nestle" into the hole like most people think and will likely to droop down (because it is pointed) whereas the basket has a flat base and will droop less.

So, do you agree with me that if you have a small earring hole, you are better off with 3 prongs basket with the diamond set as low as possible.

Thanks for listening....

tinv.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who has .5 carat each studs in those basket settings you are showing and she is having them reset in martinis because she says the baskets droop too much. I have the martini studs now and they do not droop at all although I''m not sure how big my holes are.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
I had a "drooping" problem, but it was more related to the backs than the earrings. Originally I had .5 ct each ear and they drooped a little, but then I upgraded to 1.1 ct each ear, and they drooped A LOT unless I really jammed the backs on. (Both 4 prong basket style.) One of my friends gave me a set of those tacky looking clear plastic disc backs -- voila!!! no more drooping! (The plastic might have to be trimmed a little if you're dealing with really small lobes.) I also had a pair of pearl and diamond drop earrings that I never wore because they drooped, but with these new backs they stand up perfectly.

Just my 2 cents...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 9:30:51 AM
Author:tinv

So, do you agree with me that if you have a small earring hole, you are better off with 3 prongs basket with the diamond set as low as possible.

I have not tried the martini settings - there isn't any around here in shops.

My 'stable earring' solution is to have the peg set on the side, not the centre so #1 the stone's setting doesn't need to be any deeper than the stones are deep, and #2 even if the earrings tend to tilt downwards, there's nowhere for them to go. The trick is to have the peg set at a smaller than 90 degrees angle if the earrings are big. I surely didn't come up with the idea - this seems to be widely practiced and once I noticed that one pair done this way stays better on the ear than anything, all others were done that way.

Among the jewelry lines talked about on this forum, Ritany's halo earrings are done this way.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results