shape
carat
color
clarity

Your adult children can & will make you crazy...sigh...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 33 year old DD just put down a deposit on a wolf hybrid. Now she's upset with me because I didn't jump up & down with joy when she told me. I'm a huge "dog person" and have more independent, somewhat difficult breeds, but would never want a hybrid - raising an Aussie or a Heeler is enough hassle. DD knows next-to-nothing about dogs, but has the romantic notion that a white wolf-dog will be very cool. Hopefully it is really just a Malamute [hard enough for a canine newbie] and she is being scammed.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, that's a tough one Jimmianne! I'm into dogs and behavior to the extreme. I hope for her sake it is a very low percentage malamute or husky. I knew someone who had a wolf hybrid & he was very different from a dog, not in good ways. Extremely destructive, chewed wood trim to bits, marked in the house, never was housebroken. Very distrustful of anyone except the owner.

There is a renowned dog trainer, Nicole Wilde, who has written several books on wolf-hybrids. Here's a link to her site.
http://www.nicolewilde.com/store/

Please send the link to your daughter. She can read the books and a learn the challenges of living with one of these animals.

Also want to note, There is a sanctuary in Wisconsin that has quite a few of these hybrids. We went there last summer and when we saw the hybrids it is worth noting that the majority were very shy and exhibited frantic behavior. These were all owner give ups due to not being able to handle them as pets.

Bottom line: if she won't change her mind, she better get educated about what she'll be dealing with. If she does change her mind there are lots of groups with huskys up for adoption. I hold fundraisers for a local husky rescue group at my business and they always have a lot of lovely available dogs.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1399721310|3669617 said:
Hmmmm, that's a tough one Jimmianne! I'm into dogs and behavior to the extreme. I hope for her sake it is a very low percentage malamute or husky. I knew someone who had a wolf hybrid & he was very different from a dog, not in good ways. Extremely destructive, chewed wood trim to bits, marked in the house, never was housebroken. Very distrustful of anyone except the owner.

There is a renowned dog trainer, Nicole Wilde, who has written several books on wolf-hybrids. Here's a link to her site.
http://www.nicolewilde.com/store/

Please send the link to your daughter. She can read the books and a learn the challenges of living with one of these animals.

Also want to note, There is a sanctuary in Wisconsin that has quite a few of these hybrids. We went there last summer and when we saw the hybrids it is worth noting that the majority were very shy and exhibited frantic behavior. These were all owner give ups due to not being able to handle them as pets.

Bottom line: if she won't change her mind, she better get educated about what she'll be dealing with. If she does change her mind there are lots of groups with huskys up for adoption. I hold fundraisers for a local husky rescue group at my business and they always have a lot of lovely available dogs.

thanks for the support, woofmama. I'm really into dogs as well. My Aussie puppy has been a trip! She makes me think of the saying "never get a dog that's smarter than you" :lol:

My daughter is intelligent & thoughtful, but I don't think she really understands the reality of the situation.
It sounds as though the puppy is truly low % ... apparently the parents are laid back & sweet and the puppy temperament-tested well.
I still don't like the idea at all.
I will send her the book you recommended and also suggest Huskies.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend has eight dogs currently living with her in her house in Connecticut. She used to have nine, but one of them is now in her home in Maine along with a few other dogs that her caretaker and friend has there. (I believe there are now four dogs in the Maine house.)

Three of the eight dogs she has are wolf hybrids and she and her husband really love those dogs more than any other kind. They refer to them as Malamutes in public, but many people take one look at them and call them, "wolves". They manage the animals beautifully, but then they are extremely experienced at it. (They used to have a white one in Maine, but she passed away.)

My dog gets along very well with all three of her wolf hybrids. All of her wolf hybrids are very close to me and gentle with me, too.

I am not trying to advocate other people buying these dogs, just sharing my own very positive experience with dogs who are managed by knowledgeable owners.

NewfieMom

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine's Pit Bulls attacks and seriously hurt someone recently, and it makes me rethink wanting to have 'difficult' dogs like those and wolf mixes around. Unless you're VERY experienced with dogs, it just seems like an unnecessary risk. I hope she can be reasoned with about this.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a wolf hybrid when we were younger. Amazing dog. We had to put her down b/c she attacked and killed a rabid skunk that was after my mom. I think things are different now but 20 years ago the options were to put her down or have her in seclusion for 3 months.

JD and I have had pitbulls as well, and I think they are THE most misunderstood and maligned dogs on the planet. They used to be called Nanny Dogs. They will do anything to please their people, and it's the *people's* fault for not recognizing if the dog is showing signs of human aggression.

Having had both, I'd rather have a pitbull than a wolf hybrid.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Problem with wild animals is that they are unpredictable. They can be the most loving animal and then snap for no good reason. Does your daughter have young children?

I wonder how safe they are considering they are prohibited in many states, inclung my own.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1399730547|3669662 said:
Problem with wild animals is that they are unpredictable. They can be the most loving animal and then snap for no good reason. Does your daughter have young children?

I wonder how safe they are considering they are prohibited in many states, inclung my own.

Good News.This evening my daughter realized that it was not a good idea. I feel sad for her, but relieved. She doesn't have any children yet and that was one of the things that worried me - potentially eventually bringing a newborn into a house with an iffy dog.

It was nice that there was a place to vent this morning when I was so worried.
thanks!

[ps. and to those who had positive things to say about hybrids - I can see how it would work out well for some people with lots of canine awareness/training under their belt and lots of running room for their pets!].

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew! I'm glad she changed her mind Jimmianne - sorry to hear about her break-up, she's probably having a rough time - sounds like she was thinking about getting a dog for the distraction, and maybe company too - How about a yorkie lol?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1399773740|3670078 said:
Whew! I'm glad she changed her mind Jimmianne - sorry to hear about her break-up, she's probably having a rough time - sounds like she was thinking about getting a dog for the distraction, and maybe company too - How about a yorkie lol?
I think you're right!
[& Yorkies are terrific dogs].

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So good that this ran its course and your daughter came to the conclusion that it wasn't a great idea. As a parent, when I know something is not well thought through, it is so hard to keep quiet and let them figure it out - or not, as the case may be. It sounds like you gave her the time to get there. Yay for a happy ending, Mom!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So happy she changed her mind! WHEW! :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1399791313|3670202 said:
So good that this ran its course and your daughter came to the conclusion that it wasn't a great idea. As a parent, but I', when I know something is not well thought through, it is so hard to keep quiet and let them figure it out - or not, as the case may be. It sounds like you gave her the time to get there. Yay for a happy ending, Mom!

Thanks, minous! but I have to confess I didn't give her as much space as I should have. That has got to be the hardest thing with adult children. I constantly work on keeping my mouth shut, but this was a bit too big to sit back & watch. I told her I would support her decision if she did go with it, but that I was not for it at all. What I was thinking to myself was "If you do this stupid thing I will be so upset that I will have nothing to do with the puppy or ever come to you house!" :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399804142|3670234 said:
So good that this ran its course and your daughter came to the conclusion that it wasn't a great idea. As a parent, but I', when I know something is not well thought through, it is so hard to keep quiet and let them figure it out - or not, as the case may be. It sounds like you gave her the time to get there. Yay for a happy ending, Mom!

Thanks, minous! but I have to confess I didn't give her as much space as I should have. That has got to be the hardest thing with adult children. I constantly work on keeping my mouth shut, but this was a bit too big to sit back & watch. I told her I would support her decision if she did go with it, but that I was not for it at all. What I was thinking to myself was "If you do this stupid thing I will be so upset that I will have nothing to do with the puppy or ever come to you house!" :lol:

I am truly glad to hear this turn of events! I also understand what you were thinking to yourself - lol! I sometimes think with adult children you have to pick your battles the same way you did when they were teenagers. The big stuff you just have to stand up and speak your mind about - the other stuff they can figure out for themselves unless they ask for advice.

Being a Yorkie lover myself I wholeheartedly second that for a companion. They are small dogs that think they are huge - could be the best compromise ever!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Big relief she changed her mind, Woofmama. The saddest thing about true wolf hybrids is that they are fit neither for life as a pet nor as a wolf. It's an inhumane act to breed them. They are unpredictable -- can be good family members for years & when frightened, suddenly go off the rails & hurt someone or themselves -- they do have wild DNA, we should never forget.

When roaming with my Siberians over 30 years, I can't count the people who boasted of having a wolf hybrid. Most, I am sure, are not. Scammers often breed German Shepherds, Malamutes, & Siberians together to get a wolfish-looking dog that they sell as a hybrid for a ton of dough. That convinces unknowing owners & friends that wolf mixes make good pets, when they do not in fact have one.

Bottom line: RESEARCH a breed(s) before you adopt one. Read online -- every breed has a parent club with much info online. Go to shows or trials & talk to breeders there, interact with their dogs. Any breed enthusiast is delighted to yammer about her dogs & reliable ones will tell you the disadvantages as well as the wonderful traits. Most dogs who are abandoned did not fit the lifestyle or skills of the owner -- not fair to the animal at all. NEVER buy an animal because it's "cool."

--- Laurie

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hallf-joking about the yorkie, I was just trying to come up with a dog the opposite of a wolf hybrid ha! But my recently divorced friend got a yorkie last year, and she's really sweet and such good company for my friend. Lately I've developed a fondness for beagles too! I know someone with a Cairn terrier and what a great dog.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399804142|3670234 said:

It appears we are cut from the same cloth, you and I!! :lol: But it worked, didn't it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad to hear this had a good ending. I do speak up in situations like this, too. I can't help it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad your daughter is not going the wolf hybrid route. They can be dangerous. One of my best friend's dogs, Faith, who is now docile with me "attacked" me when I first tried to enter her house. She was on long lead and I thought I was out of her reach when I ducked into the doorway, but she got my shoulder with her claws. My friend and her husband know she cannot be allowed near strangers and even the vet cannot administer her shots unless my friend's husband is there. Usually he gives the shots. If she is with my friend's husband on a leash and he has her under control, she is OK. But he never lets her get near anyone.

Inside, on the bed, with just the three of us she is fine. She cuddles and lies on her back with her belly up. She nuzzles me to be petted.
But there are only four people in the world (of which I have become one) who can feel safe around her or hold her on a leash.

BTW, she was left on my friends' posted land by hunters when she was a puppy. She wasn't bought.

AGBF
:saint:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1399850789|3670669 said:
I'm glad your daughter is not going the wolf hybrid route. They can be dangerous. One of my best friend's dogs, Faith, who is now docile with me "attacked" me when I first tried to enter her house. She was on long lead and I thought I was out of her reach when I ducked into the doorway, but she got my shoulder with her claws. My friend and her husband know she cannot be allowed near strangers and even the vet cannot administer her shots unless my friend's husband is there. Usually he gives the shots. If she is with my friend's husband on a leash and he has her under control, she is OK. But he never lets her get near anyone.

Inside, on the bed, with just the three of us she is fine. She cuddles and lies on her back with her belly up. She nuzzles me to be petted.
But there are only four people in the world (of which I have become one) who can feel safe around her or hold her on a leash.

BTW, she was left on my friends' posted land by hunters when she was a puppy. She wasn't bought.

AGBF

That, to me, is so incredibly dangerous. No matter what kind of dog it is.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1399856363|3670726 said:
AGBF|1399850789|3670669 said:

That, to me, is so incredibly dangerous. No matter what kind of dog it is.

She is, indeed, dangerous. But she is not unpredictable. She is entirely predictable. My friend-who rescues dogs (and who currently has a delightful male pit bull she rescued) had to have only one of her rescues put down. And it was a pit bull. She rescued him from Hurricane Katrina. She had him treated for heart worms. She did everything on earth she could to socialize him. But he turned out to be unpredictable. After he bit her (adult) niece in the face she had to have him euthanized. I do not believe she ever gave up on another dog, but this one was truly dangerous, even though she loved him. His history in New Orleans before she got him may have been horrible. She just couldn't undo his background; his having been bred for fighting; whatever mix of things that made that poor dog become what he did.

AGBF

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1399818079|3670318 said:
I was hallf-joking about the yorkie, I was just trying to come up with a dog the opposite of a wolf hybrid ha! But my recently divorced friend got a yorkie last year, and she's really sweet and such good company for my friend. Lately I've developed a fondness for beagles too! I know someone with a Cairn terrier and what a great dog.

I have a 5# Yorkie mix-terrific personality...
If only my DD would go for something like this - they are so very portable!
p1030445.jpg

Beagles are reputed to be one of the best family dogs and are so sweet.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, what an adorable doggie jimmianne!! That's what I'm talking about lol - Hopefully your daughter will be willing to downsize a bit!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1399867960|3670816 said:
Aw, what an adorable doggie jimmianne!! That's what I'm talking about lol - Hopefully your daughter will be willing to downsize a bit!
and it's a lot easier than trying to wrestle a wolf into a dress!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399893342|3670887 said:
junebug17|1399867960|3670816 said:

and it's a lot easier than trying to wrestle a wolf into a dress!

Shades of Little Red Riding Hood. ;))

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

PS-Your dog is adorable. She looks very sweet.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

My DD just called - she said she is buying a Flemish Giant Rabbit baby to ease the pain of not getting the dog : )
She is so excited. This is better. I just googled the rabbits and they are enormous! This should be exotic enough for now.
The whole thing is making me smile a lot...
a LOT more than the idea of a 70% wolf hybrid.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From wolf to giant bunny, what a difference a day makes!!! I love bunnies so I'm glad she drop the other idea.

My not-so-adult 20 year old son went out and bought a motorcycle without his dad's or my approval. It was a $600 piece of
junk and quit working after about 2 months. So, big waste of money but no humans were hurt in the process!!!

Only can hope that he learned a lesson!

I guess we never quit worrying about our adult children. My Mom's kids are all in their 50's and she still worries about every
decision we make or every time we do something out of the ordinary. I'm not thrilled about having to worry for the rest of my life...
I'm not sure if I have it in me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1399911137|3671052 said:
Thanks!

My DD just called - she said she is buying a Flemish Giant Rabbit baby to ease the pain of not getting the dog : )
She is so excited. This is better. I just googled the rabbits and they are enormous! This should be exotic enough for now.
The whole thing is making me smile a lot...
a LOT more than the idea of a 70% wolf hybrid.

Holy sh!t. I'd never heard of these so I just looked them up. Wow.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1399772584|3670071 said:
ruby59|1399730547|3669662 said:

Good News.This evening my daughter realized that it was not a good idea. I feel sad for her, but relieved. She doesn't have any children yet and that was one of the things that worried me - potentially eventually bringing a newborn into a house with an iffy dog.

It was nice that there was a place to vent this morning when I was so worried.
thanks!

[ps. and to those who had positive things to say about hybrids - I can see how it would work out well for some people with lots of canine awareness/training under their belt and lots of running room for their pets!].

Oh, I'm glad to hear that it worked out this way :)) It's tough to watch loved ones make bad decisions. I'm sure that hybrids are fine for some folks, but you were right to feel concerned for her.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Just saw the update about the rabbit. It sounds like they need some pretty substantial living quarters and lots of food (which translates into big piles of waste!) - is she prepared for all of those things too? Having a dog (although, not necessary a hybrid) almost sounds easier to care for than a giant rabbit… They are cute though - I have always liked rabbits, but I just don't feel like you get much in return for the work that you put into them (like the rewards you get from a dog for example). I hope that it works out for her :)) Keep us posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results