shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you wear a diamond solitaire as a single woman?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would--but I rarely see diamond rings on single women at all. Is it just me? Would you wear one, or if you're engaged or married, would you have worn one when you were single?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always worn a ring on my left hand ring finger since I was about 12, and my first ring was a diamond and sapphire band given to me by my mum.

When I was married I would wear my platinum band and 3-stone engagement ring, and that got replaced by my current 3-stone ruby and diamond ring given to me by my late partner.

I got myself an EC for my 40th birthday, and would wear it on my right hand middle finger, until I decided it was too much to wear it for work, and got myself a smaller EC instead to wear on a daily basis.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely I would. Not on my left hand though.

I think its mostly because young women don't spend money on a diamond ring. They assume they'll get one from someone, so if they want diamonds, but earrings or necklaces or whatnot.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did. When I was single I wore my grandmother's OEC solitaire with platinum bezel on my right hand all the time. I think traditionally right hand solitaire means engaged but it didn't matter to me. I loved that ring and was thrilled to be able to wear it. I say to women who are single and want to wear a big old honkin diamond solitaire to go for it! You only live once and you should enjoy what you love. I don't follow the rules because I make them for myself. :halo:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would on my right hand. A solitaire on the left hand says "I'm engaged!" and I would not want to field questions about the big date if I were single :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Right hand, middle finger? In a heartbeat!

I've yet to see a man deterred by the ring. In fact, I just went to a party *with my husband* *wearing ALL the bling* and still had two guys act really interested to talk to me when I was grabbing food or whatever ... until I mentioned that I was there because my spouse knew the host. I can't remember I saw the last time a guy needing to do something across the room so quickly! Yeesh.

That said, in my culture, commitment rings are right hand, ring finger, so I'd probably still exercise *some* care ... but I doubt a middle finger or pinky solitaire would hold any negative significance!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah, I wore my mother's solitaire on my right hand from 13 until my late 20's.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't wear a diamond solitaire as a single person - on either hand. There are plenty of other ring styles that don't represent engagement and/or marriage. I would only find it appropriate if you are engaged/married or trying to appear engaged/married.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 26 year old daughter bought herself a small OEC, which she wears on her right hand. It's a fascinating stone. Girls like rocks, why should they have to heed some societal "norm"?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! On my right hand. When my daughter starts her first grown up job, I am resetting my original engagement ring and giving it to her so she can wear it daily if she likes. I'm already thinking a single stone yellow gold halo would be gorgeous. That will remind her that she should never settle. She should wait until she finds someone who will love and treasure and care for her the way her father and I and her whole family do before she says yes. That's my plan!! And I'm sticking to it! :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, on my right hand.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm single and I always wear a solitaire on each hand. Sometimes I wear an eternity band on each hand. Other times I wear a solitaire on my left hand and an eternity band on my right hand.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Sure. I'd wear it on my right hand though (or left hand on a different finger). That's not to say you can't wear it on your left ring finger, just know that it's sending a message that you might not want to send. Sometimes, before I was married, when my friends and I didn't feel like being hit on, we would purposefully wear rings on our left ring fingers and guys would take notice, make a comment, and leave us be. I read sometimes that guys don't care about a ring on your left finger, but in my experience guys looking for a date definitely notice, so I wouldn't go out on a date or looking for guys with one or anything!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
When I first got my grandmother's three-stone north-south diamond cocktail ring, I wore it on the traditional ring finger, and one of my male work friends asked if it was a "match this" challenge to future beaux. So I think men do look, but I think their reactions differ wildly. At the moment, my ruby avatar ring has to go on that third-finger-left-hand prime real estate because it is temporarily too small for its intended middle finger. I wonder what kind of signal it sends?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I wore my grandmothers diamond ring on my right hand daily for several years in my late teens thru early twenties.
Not sure if I would wear a solitaire with a diamond band on my left hand if I were single, but I would wear some stackers on my left hand.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. What am I supposed to do, throw it away?

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1385862950|3565389 said:
I do. What am I supposed to do, throw it away?

AGBF

PS-My solitaire was NOT my engagement ring! I bought my solitaire myself. My husband had nothing to do with it. Also: I am technically still married. I am not even legally separated. I just choose not to wear a wedding band any longer since I no longer live with my husband. I consider myself single...and heavily burdened with family!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure!
I could always slip it off when a suitable candidate to end my singleness shows up. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason I wouldn't is that I don't really care for the look of a solitaire alone. There are a lot of settings I'd rather have if I had a diamond that was not going to be an engagement ring. I'd love side diamonds or sapphires or some kind of antique style setting.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Every day and everywhere...

WFBDR-OnDeck-En.jpg

WF-BD-Outside2.jpg

ES-110-AtFlightLine.jpg

LW-ACA-inChinook.jpg

LW-I2-onRifle-close.jpg

anners11

Rough_Rock
I do and this is something that I've thought about a lot. I have 3 diamond rings that I wear and I only wear one at a time either on my left hand middle finger or my right hand ring finger. Technically I only have one solitaire but I still wear it on my left hand middle finger. What I've decided is that if a man is deterred/intimidated by my rings then he certainly won't be able to deal with my career (physician), my independence, or my personality in general. So I kind of look at my bling as a screening tool :naughty:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
anners11|1385903947|3565553 said:
I do and this is something that I've thought about a lot. I have 3 diamond rings that I wear and I only wear one at a time either on my left hand middle finger or my right hand ring finger. Technically I only have one solitaire but I still wear it on my left hand middle finger. What I've decided is that if a man is deterred/intimidated by my rings then he certainly won't be able to deal with my career (physician), my independence, or my personality in general. So I kind of look at my bling as a screening tool :naughty:

How funny. I'd think it was the opposite. In other words, any guy that came up to me, saw a ring on my left finger, and proceeded to flirt or ask me out would be kind of a jerk in general, since I'd imagine he would assume I was married or engaged already but didn't care.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally wouldn't since I'm sure I would get asked "are you engaged" a billion times a day. It doesn't matter what finger you're wearing it on around here, if you're a young woman, you're going to get asked. I know this because when I was a young engaged woman I would get asked all the time. I would have no issues wearing a diamond ring but I would not wear a solitaire.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did, for years, and on my left hand. Partly because that's where it fitted, but mostly because I liked it there and it doesn't much matter what strangers know or might think they know about my relationship status. Friends and family know obviously, but random people I meet or walk by, I don't mind what they think of me (if they think anything at all). Nowadays, I don't always wear my wedding ring on my left hand either. Just because.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1385842358|3565278 said:
My 26 year old daughter bought herself a small OEC, which she wears on her right hand. It's a fascinating stone. Girls like rocks, why should they have to heed some societal "norm"?

No one has to heed to societal norms, so I don't think that this isn't really about that. It's about the messages associated with diamond rings (in our society). Certain styles of diamond rings are meant to signify that a person is no longer single. Anyone can choose to wear whatever they want to - as long as they are ok with the messages that might be associated with them. If I saw a woman wearing what looked like a wedding ring, then my assumption would be that they were engaged and/or married. Likewise, if I saw a man in a construction hat & work boots, my assumption would be that he works on a construction site, or if I saw a woman wearing ballet slippers, I would assume that she was a dancer....
Having said that, if someone wants to wear a diamond solitaire (and they are single), so be it. There's no judgement involved - it's simply about assumptions.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1385927142|3565674 said:
lyra|1385842358|3565278 said:

No one has to heed to societal norms, so I don't think that this isn't really about that. It's about the messages associated with diamond rings (in our society). Certain styles of diamond rings are meant to signify that a person is no longer single. Anyone can choose to wear whatever they want to - as long as they are ok with the messages that might be associated with them. If I saw a woman wearing what looked like a wedding ring, then my assumption would be that they were engaged and/or married. Likewise, if I saw a man in a construction hat & work boots, my assumption would be that he works on a construction site.

Ha I love the construction comparison!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results