shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather go to Paris or Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is sort of a funny question, but if you had a chance to go for about a week or less to either Paris, France, or Ireland (probably near Dublin), in early May, where would you go and why?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
That''s a tough call as I am happiest when I am on a plane going somewhere--anywhere! I have never been to Ireland and would like to go someday but I absolutely adore Paris and early May would be the perfect time of year to be there. It''s just one of the most fabulous, romantic cities in the world. The food, the history, the culture, the sites, the language, the fashion, the sophistication--all just amazing. I''m a New Yorker so I may be slightly biased as I''m really attracted to cities and Paris is probably my next favorite city in the world. That said, I think Paris would most likely be my choice. You won''t be disappointed!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ireland hands down.

I have no desire to ever set foot in france.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I have never been out of the states & would love to go anywhere! Tough pick. I'd choose France probably because my husband is French and has relatives there.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ireland, no two ways about it.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say Ireland, but then again Paris has wonderful food.
30.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I''d rather go to Ireland & Scotland. I saw a show on Travel channel about them and decided that I have to go before I die. Plus I''m Scottish/Irish

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well given that your picture is a shamrock...I would bet you would lean more toward Ireland. Are you wanting a large metropolitan city or more of a country trip? Paris is huge and busy. Dublin, although a city, is much more rural.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ireland all the way...i've never been there and i'm part Irish.

I would like to go to France someday but wouldn't go there now for my own political reasons
1.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it would be Ireland, no doubt about it. It''s so beautiful and fresh there. Also- I can''t speak French
emembarrassed.gif
. Ha ha. Ireland is my dream place, though. Never much liked the idea of Paris. I believe the appeal of Paris is romance, but I''ve got more than enough here in L.A. (who could believe it?!), to make me want to see the beauty of Ireland.
30.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to both and would go back to Ireland over Paris. I live in DC, and in my opinion, and other European friends'' opinions, DC reminds me a lot of Paris. So you could always go to Ireland AND then visit DC!
9.gif

recran

Rough_Rock
Depends on the type of person you are and where you''ve been in Europe before. Anywhere that speaks English is a good first trip to Europe IMO. It makes the next trip less daunting. Personally, I think London is the best first Europe trip for someone. Anyway, that''s not one of your options and I don''t know if you''ve been to Europe before. I''ve been to Dublin and to Paris. If you''ve never been to either, I''d go to Paris first. Dublin is awesome and incredible and I wouldn''t trade my trip there for a trip to Paris - unless I hadn''t been to Paris before. Paris is... well, Paris. I mean, really! It''s classic! If I were limited to only two cities to visit outside of the US for my whole life, I''d pick London and Paris. Plus, if you want to do some countryside type stuff, you can do that in France too. Wow, you are so lucky. Either will be awesome.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 1:26:52 PM
Author: recran
If I were limited to only two cities to visit outside of the US for my whole life, I''d pick London and Paris.

I''d pick Paris & Venice ... I''m a closet romantic I guess. I didn''t love London like most folks do ... (lived in NYC for 15 total years ... too much like London). Though I''m tempted to pick Paris and somewhere in Antiqua.

Never been to Ireland (or Hong Kong or Praque or Sydney or other MUST SEE type places)

Paris was like a living magazine layout to me. A living, breathing museum. The flowers, the pastries, the architecture, the shopping, the bridges, the energy.

The only thing that would keep me from Paris is the recent unrest. Might wait another year to see how things shake down.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 1:26:52 PM
Author: recran
Depends on the type of person you are and where you''ve been in Europe before. Anywhere that speaks English is a good first trip to Europe IMO. It makes the next trip less daunting. Personally, I think London is the best first Europe trip for someone. Anyway, that''s not one of your options and I don''t know if you''ve been to Europe before. I''ve been to Dublin and to Paris. If you''ve never been to either, I''d go to Paris first. Dublin is awesome and incredible and I wouldn''t trade my trip there for a trip to Paris - unless I hadn''t been to Paris before. Paris is... well, Paris. I mean, really! It''s classic! If I were limited to only two cities to visit outside of the US for my whole life, I''d pick London and Paris. Plus, if you want to do some countryside type stuff, you can do that in France too. Wow, you are so lucky. Either will be awesome.
agreed.

dublin is a very very big city and while they do speak english, it is the countryside that is most interesting, imo. a week or less just would not do it justice. i spent several weeks touring in scotland and even went out to the ornkney islands....so again, imo, a week or less in scotland is just not enough. touring in france for several weeks was fun despite only being able to say a few phrases......i''ve not been to paris but if i had a week or less that''s where i''d head. or actually, better yet imo is a week or less in amsterdam/holland. good transit, GREAT museums, they speak english with an american accent and there is not a language problem unless you get out into some of the very very small villages. also, great food....if you go let me know and i''ll tell you where to find my favorite place to eat and my favorite place to sit at 4p and have a belgian beer.

also, wherever you go, check what the holiday is and how it will effect our plans! i cannot stress this enough! i arrived in dublin on easter weekend..... and we toured in april/may and found that most of europe was also on holiday for many many national holidays and getting places to stay was much more difficult.

also, amsterdam throws one big party for the queen''s birthday and people come in from the countryside to join in. if you don''t have a room reservation for that time period, it could be difficult. another option is to stay in harleem or another smaller town and take the transit into the city. also, april/may in holland is gorgeous in bloom. rent a bike and enjoy!

peace, movie zombie

ps re paris: i''d stay in a neighborhood and shop for bread, cheese, etc. hit some museums, go visit jim morrison''s grave, tour the underground city, hangout at a street cafe, and drink some fine french wine. my husband says he''s afraid i wouldn''t want to come home. check our rick steve''s travel books for short trip ideas....he specializes in this type of thing.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about Europe but we are taking our first trip this year, probably in fall (well my first trip to Europe...Greg has been before). We have friends in London so we will stay there for a few days and then we are planning on going to Scotland and Ireland for the next 1.5 weeks most likely. I would love to visit France and Italy as well but we are saving that for the next trip. I have always wanted to go see Scotland and Ireland because of all the amazing history there and I'm a sucker for old castles.
5.gif

Does anyone have suggestions on how best to plan the trip? Where to stay in Scotland and Ireland? I am very much a creature comfort person but don't want to overpay for luxury on a longer trip like that.

OFG...let us know what you decide and keep us posted, I'm curious since this is somewhat applicable to our trip in the future as well!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Ireland!! But that''s my choice because I''ve been to Paris too many times.
I always felt like it was way too touristy in May for Paris. I''d prefer to travel there on off seasons. Also, its just a *tad* too early to really take advantage of the beautiful gardens...like Giverny, Versailles and others arent quite as splendid as they''d be in June/July. I''ve never been to Ireland so I''m not sure how it would be then, but I''d still choose it over Paris right now. But then again, in May it is the perfect not too hot out to be enjoying all of the outdoor cafes in Paris...and strolling the backstreets and the different parks and squares. I''d also never ever ever choose DC over Paris! Totally not even in the same league! In my opnion
3.gif

So jealous of either Ireland or Paris, you''ll have fun either way!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough choice. I adore Paris!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 2:40:25 PM
Author: Blue824
I''d also never ever ever choose DC over Paris! Totally not even in the same league! In my opnion
3.gif

No, I wouldn''t choose DC over Paris either! I just meant if she could only do one trip abroad, I would do Ireland and then visit DC locally to get a Parisien feel, at least until her next international trip.
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 2:48:57 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire

Date: 1/4/2006 2:40:25 PM
Author: Blue824
I''d also never ever ever choose DC over Paris! Totally not even in the same league! In my opnion
3.gif

No, I wouldn''t choose DC over Paris either! I just meant if she could only do one trip abroad, I would do Ireland and then visit DC locally to get a Parisien feel, at least until her next international trip.
9.gif
Hehehe I know what you meant
1.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
PARIS !!!!!

Been twice and can''t wait to go back and really spend moe time there.

I spent 3 weeks in Scotland and while I loved it, got a bit yancy to see something else. I felt like I saw every ruin and abbey in the countryside.

A trip to Paris can offer a bustling city and side trips to the countryside.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 2:24:25 PM
Author: Mara
I know nothing about Europe but we are taking our first trip this year, probably in fall (well my first trip to Europe...Greg has been before). We have friends in London so we will stay there for a few days and then we are planning on going to Scotland and Ireland for the next 1.5 weeks most likely. I would love to visit France and Italy as well but we are saving that for the next trip. I have always wanted to go see Scotland and Ireland because of all the amazing history there and I''m a sucker for old castles.
5.gif

Does anyone have suggestions on how best to plan the trip? Where to stay in Scotland and Ireland? I am very much a creature comfort person but don''t want to overpay for luxury on a longer trip like that.

OFG...let us know what you decide and keep us posted, I''m curious since this is somewhat applicable to our trip in the future as well!
OFG, I haven''t been to either Dublin or Paris in many years, and cancelled a planned trip to the latter over Thanksgiving because of the riots, but I suspect it will still be true that the city of Paris has more to offer culturally, aesthetically, gastronomically, etc., while the people of Ireland wil be among the friendliest and most fun people you will ever meet. It depends on what type of vacation you are looking for.

Mara, What I most remember about Dublin is the Guiness brewery and pub after pub after pub ... (the product of being hosted by a group of hard-partying Irish friends). As for Scotland, I recommend Edinburgh (to visit the castle and Holyrude/sp? House, climb Arthur''s Seat, and walk the Royal Mile) and Inverness to cruise Loch Ness. Then, of course, a drive through the Highlands, which I haven''t done but many friends have raved about. I stayed in bed and breakfasts in both cities and found them to provide both excellent accomodations and a connection with the people that you can''t get in a hotel. BTY, the best castle I saw in Europe was Sterling Castle in England.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2006 11:14:14 AM
Author: strmrdr
I have no desire to ever set foot in france.

I think the French were right not to support the invasion of Iraq by the US and the UK. The Downing Street Memo showed that Blair lied to the UK and Bush lied to the US. Before the invasion our "leaders" knew there were no weapons of mass destruction, but they misled the people. I think the French should be praised for failing to fall for the lies we in the US and the UK fell for! Or do you think everyone should emulate our stupidity?

At any rate, I would prefer Italy to either of the choices posed above. The Italians are friendlier than the French; the food is universally fantastic; and one can find either culture or relaxation everywhere one goes.

Deborah

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 4:13:04 PM
Author: AGBF

At any rate, I would prefer Italy to either of the choices posed above. The Italians are friendlier than the French; the food is universally fantastic; and one can find either culture or relaxation everywhere one goes.

Deborah

I agreee 110%. My parents go every year and LOVE it there. The food, the history, the landscape...it''s simply amazing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Florence and Venice. Talk about great jewelry and food. Oh I wish I could go now....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never ben to Sicily, but my niece sent these photos from her trip there.

SiciliaA.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the sea.

SiciliaC.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and in the sea!

SiciliaB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results