shape
carat
color
clarity

Word of the day

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Word of the day: coruscate \KOR-uh-skayt\, intransitive verb: 1. To give off or reflect bright beams or flashes of light; to sparkle. 2. To exhibit brilliant, sparkling technique or style.
Coruscate comes from Latin coruscatus, past participle of coruscare, "to move quickly, to tremble, to flutter, to twinkle or flash." The noun form is coruscation. Also from coruscare is the adjective coruscant, "glittering in flashes; flashing."

I thought it was an appropriate word for our forum
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
10.gif

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi Molly,

I think your word of the day is a coruscate idea!!!

Andrey
PS Admin

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 2:33:58 PM
Author: PS Admin
Hi Molly,

Andrey
PS Admin
Me too!
36.gif
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 2:42:31 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 7/27/2007 2:33:58 PM
Author: PS Admin
Hi Molly,

Andrey
PS Admin
Me too!
36.gif
36.gif
Me three
9.gif

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I''d love it for other pscopers to feel free to post a new or favorite word of their own.
1.gif

Today''s word:
multifarious • \mul-tuh-FAIR-ee-us\:having or occurring in great variety : diverse

ex: Pricescope members are a multifarious group.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Molly... What a good idea...
My word of today is : Veracity = truthfulness. Many of you porbably know that word already..., but I m posting just in case..

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''ll see you, and match you...

fulgid

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2007 7:23:51 PM
Author: Regular Guy
fulgid

I planned just to enjoy this thread, because I am a word and grammar hound. Ira's link left me hanging, though, since it didn't contain information on the word's origin...so I had to look it up and am posting it here rather than making anyone else go crazy.

fulgid is an adjective from the Latin fulgidus, see fulgent. It means: dazzling, resplendent. (Or, as Ira's link said, "having brief brilliant points or flashes of light".)

Its origin is from late Middle English (around 1375-1425) from the Latin fulgens (gen. fulgentis), prp. of fulgere "to shine". It is related to fulgur lightning, and flagrare to blaze, glow, burn.

PS-Much to my regret I missed Latin in school. I took Spanish as a second language in high school instead of Latin, dummy that I was! I tried to study Latin when I was a teacher, but that didn't work out. As a result I do not know why one source says fulgid comes from "fulgidus" and another says it comes from "fulgens". My husband is asleep as it it between 3:00 and 4:00 AM here in Virginia. He was a Greek and Latin scholar once and when he wakes up I will collar him ;-). I know that the mystery lies in the cases!!! God bless German for teaching me what cases are :).

Oh...did I say it was between 3:00 and 4:00 AM? Am I fun now?

Deborah
34.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cha·toy·ant Spelled Pronunciation[shuh-toi-uhnt]

–adjective 1. changing in luster or color: chatoyant silk.

2. Jewelry. reflecting a single streak of light when cut in a cabochon.
–noun

3. Jewelry. a cabochon-cut gemstone having this reflected streak, as a chrysoberyl cat's-eye.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1790–1800; < F, special use of prp. of chatoyer to change luster like a cat's eye, equiv. to chat cat1 + -oy- v. suffix + -ant -ant]

—Related forms
cha·toy·ance, cha·toy·an·cy, noun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results