shape
carat
color
clarity

With gold prices rising, wold you consider...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
... Re-setting or setting your diamond or future stone into silver rather than gold?
Silver Agrentium is a very long lasting and durable metal - looks wonderful too!

Are we just too used to go for gold or platinum for our engagement rings that we somehow forget about Silver?

Just curious - cause I am thinking about using Silver for my reset...

Cost of 22KT gold for my reset : close to $3,000
Cost or my reset in Silver: $500.

Yikes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely.
I love silver and will use it in the future.
Worn every day it develops a beautiful patina.
Frankly I prefer the appearance of silver to gold.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wait, you are thinking of setting your amazing HUGE lemony diamond in silver? I love silver but would be nervous about having such a large amazing stone in it.

I thought silver was one of the softer metals? And what about tarnish issues?

What kind of a reset are you thinking of?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I just did! Daniel M from etsy just bezeled a heart shaped diamond in argentium silver for me, and i'm in love. My fat lil heart looks like it's floating from the profile view!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore silver, but I'm not sure I'd want it for that. I'd at least want a bit more research into the wear/dent issues. I'm not familiar with the working properties of Argentium over regular sterling, other than the tarnish issue of course, but is it really that much more durable than an 18K gold? And how chemically reactive is it? I don't think you'd be at terrible risk to lose your stone, just not sure that the metal really would hold up...

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
"Benchmark Argentium Sterling Silver rings are guaranteed for life!"

Hi Amethyste!

I love silver, and although I've not seen the Argentium type first hand, have read a bit about it in the past. These guys guarantee their rings for life...says something I reckon, about its durability and strength.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-argentium-benchmark-silver-rings.html

The price difference you mentioned between 24k and silver is a huge one, and not to be taken lightly. There's a mass of things you can do with the other $2,500!

Would I put 'lemony' into silver...yes I would, but only if I was certain I was going to like the finished look. The CAD you showed originally of the 24k housing your diamond was dreamy, but I sometimes wonder if such a rich gold might overpower the lighter yellow of your stone. Kind of like lemon competing with rich honey...

Would it look as lovely in silver? How about getting a couple of CAD's done, one with just silver, and the other with silver and a yellow gold bezel. It might look spectacular...but without even a 'kind of' image...perhaps we can't imagine it fully.

You know, the Victorians used silver an awful lot, even for diamonds, and some of those antique rings are still holding up today. I do feel we are somewhat entrenched in the notion that it must be gold or platinum to be of worth. Which of course, is simply not true!

I vote for seeing a CAD...

:))

*eta* What Kenny said about the development of patina...I really think the style and design of your ring, and the 'old world' shape of your stone, totally lends itself to this look developing over time...I'm liking the idea - a lot!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who is doing your reset Ame? I would totally put lemony in silver, I don't see a problem w/it!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea, but would probably set the stone itself in a yellow gold bezel, to play up the color of your stone, and have the rest of the setting made in silver. I think silver develops a beautiful patina that would complement the antique look of your design.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't but that's because I'm a yellow gold fan. :D Now, maybe with the eternity bands I'm thinking of...but...that's just a maybe. :D

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't because the acid in my skin blackens silver. Also, I'm a yellow gold lover!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Lula|1299938570|2870111 said:
I love the idea, but would probably set the stone itself in a yellow gold bezel, to play up the color of your stone, and have the rest of the setting made in silver. I think silver develops a beautiful patina that would complement the antique look of your design.

This! I hated the idea of Lemony in silver until this popped into my head. Stunning. Especially if you did some extra little gold touches.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give no weight whatsoever to the stigma, image or prestige of one metal over another.
I just go by what I like the look of and mechanical considerations.
I'd set my diamonds in peanut butter if it was stronger.

Our asschers are both set in titanium, even though the funds were there to set them in gold or platinum.
I've never taken kindly to being told what to think.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
with my ering...no. with all other jewelery...yes without hesitation! I have a necklace that is Scott Kay sterling and I believe it is rhodium plated? it does not tarnish. I am also very interested in Argentium silver, it sounds exciting. I wish more designers would offer it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1299948309|2870192 said:
I've never taken kindly to being told what to think.

I'm shocked to hear that.

Deb
:read:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a huge fan of Argentium - it is my metal of choice now - not only for the economics, but I much prefer its color to that of rhodium-plated white gold (keeping in mind I do not care at all for unplated white gold or for platinum). Depending on the project, I will pair Argentium with 18kt yellow gold, but I have no reluctance in using 100% Argentium for pieces with diamonds, emeralds, tanzanites, you get the picture.

Amethyste, I love the new setting created for Lemony Pear and I think the ornate floral design would look marvelous in Argentium - but I second some of the others who have suggested you consider using high karat yellow gold for the bezel and perhaps for accents - I'm thinking it would add to the richness of the piece and be so complementary to that glorious center stone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste|1299908379|2870030 said:
... Re-setting or setting your diamond or future stone into silver rather than gold?
Silver Agrentium is a very long lasting and durable metal - looks wonderful too!

Are we just too used to go for gold or platinum for our engagement rings that we somehow forget about Silver?

Just curious - cause I am thinking about using Silver for my reset...

Cost of 22KT gold for my reset : close to $3,000
Cost or my reset in Silver: $500.

Yikes.

I thought you were going to ask if we'd sell our gold! I don't make my jewelry decisions baased on money except to the extent that I don't buy what I can't afford.

I wouldn't set a stone in a metal I thought was second best to what I liked most based on monetary concerns because then, in Dancing Fire's words, it wouldn't be, "mind clean" for me. I would pass on the whole project if I couldn't afford to do it the way I wanted, however.

If gold prices are high (as they are now) I won't buy the bangle bracelet in 24K gold I have wanted to "complete" my set of bangle bracelets. I have said that before, in another thread. But I wouldn't make another kind of bangle bracelet, a cheaper version, to wear instead!

That isn't to say that I don't love silver. I love silver for its own sake when I see it used well. See any of the threads on Georg Jensen and you will see that!

Chacun a son gout. To each his own.

Deb/AGBF

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is such a huge price difference that I'd possibly consider it for some stuff, but not my eng ring.

It's your ring, though, so do what you feel comfortable with! If $500 isn't a huge expense for you, then try it out and see what you think. You can always switch out in a year or so if it turns out to be not what you expected.

I have to say, there have been a couple diamond/silver pieces that I have lusted over, *but* because they've all been by designers, they're still expensive. But, that does say something...that even brand names are looking into silver as an alternative to more pricey gold. :) It could possibly be a future trend.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely set inexpensive colored stones in sterling silver! I couldn't justify setting a $300 stone in a $3000 Leon Mege setting, for example. But if I have a diamond worth thousands, there is no question that I'd set it in at least 14k gold or platinum or even palladium before I'd use sterling. There are things in between 22kt gold and sterling prices!!!!!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Argentium? Yes. Regular silver? No.

Not because I'm a metal snob, but rather because of the way it tarnishes.

Have you also considered alternatives like palladium or titanium? They don't have quite the same cachet as gold, but they are significantly easier on the pocket. BGD have rose coloured titanium, so I'm sure that a yellow titanium could be possible.

I also agree with the poster who said that maybe Lemony would get a bit lost in the 22kt gold. But then again, I love your current set, so I could be quite biased. Something about the yellow prongs and the white gold just makes me drool.

Have you considered perhaps putting Lemony in a yellow gold bezel but keeping the rest of the ring the same? Of course the final decision is entirely up to you - I know Lemony will look good in just about any home!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should ask............

I bought a .67 ct I-SI1 ES stone loose from WF and wanted to be able to see it on my hand and next to the stone it's going in a ring with, so I found a silver 4 prong setting on ebay and set the stone in it. Here's a peek at my handiwork.
WFES67pt-SilverRing.jpg
WFES67pt-SilverRing2.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Was wondering about that Amethyst, I think it was the day you posted for the reset or the day before gold hit a record high :errrr: I remember thinking that is alot of gold. I love the way engraving looks on silver, I would do it in a heartbeat although I really like the idea of gold accents too. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
If you use pure silver, it won't tarnish. It is softer than sterling, but it stays shiny.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1299961431|2870298 said:
Was wondering about that Amethyst, I think it was the day you posted for the reset or the day before gold hit a record high :errrr: I remember thinking that is alot of gold. I love the way engraving looks on silver, I would do it in a heartbeat although I really like the idea of gold accents too. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

Now there's a thought, Amethyste. Silver with a gold bezel and gold accents on the ring..... :rodent: :cheeky:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
bean|1299924879|2870067 said:
Would I put a 5 carat diamond in silver? No... feels like an oxymoron to me.

Ouch! :bigsmile:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Wait wait... I must be a moron - You can weld Argentium silver and gold together?!!? WOAH!!!!!
Now... I have so so so so so many ideas in my head now! Like the bezel in Yellow gold and the floral engraving in Yellow set with little yellow diamonds and rubies in the center of the flowers...

I need to email Michael E! lol

THanks!!! :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste|1299973633|2870404 said:
Wait wait... I must be a moron - You can weld Argentium silver and gold together?!!? WOAH!!!!!

You can do all kinds of lovely things with gold and silver! Someone just asked a few days ago (in Jewelry Pieces) about whether one could put high karat gold over silver. Well, yes, that's vermeil! I asked an Etsy artisan overseas (I think in Turkey) who worked in silver if she would put 24K gold over a pair of swirl earrings she made in silver. I had never seen anything like them made in gold. They came out looking simply fabulous!!!

Deb/AGBF

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1299974029|2870406 said:
Amethyste|1299973633|2870404 said:

You can do all kinds of lovely things with gold and silver! Someone just asked a few days ago (in Jewelry Pieces) about whether one could put high karat gold over silver. Well, yes, that's vermeil! I asked an Etsy artisan overseas (I think in Turkey) who worked in silver if she would put 24K gold over a pair of swirl earrings she made in silver. I had never seen anything like them made in gold. They came out looking simply fabulous!!!

Deb/AGBF

THanks Lovely :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1299949683|2870207 said:
I am a huge fan of Argentium - it is my metal of choice now - not only for the economics, but I much prefer its color to that of rhodium-plated white gold (keeping in mind I do not care at all for unplated white gold or for platinum). Depending on the project, I will pair Argentium with 18kt yellow gold, but I have no reluctance in using 100% Argentium for pieces with diamonds, emeralds, tanzanites, you get the picture.

Amethyste, I love the new setting created for Lemony Pear and I think the ornate floral design would look marvelous in Argentium - but I second some of the others who have suggested you consider using high karat yellow gold for the bezel and perhaps for accents - I'm thinking it would add to the richness of the piece and be so complementary to that glorious center stone.

THank Marymm! I think a mixture of the Argentium with gold accent would be gorgeous!!! (thinking gears going...) THanks for the idea!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1299961431|2870298 said:

That's what it is... I'd love to reset my ring into a bezel solitaire, but yikes.. that is a HUGE chunk of munnnnney!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results