shape
carat
color
clarity

Who Can Explain the Attitude Toward Dogs in the U.S. South?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sorry this is long -- I really need an explanation & need badly to vent. Hang with me, ok?

When we moved south 7 years ago I knew two things would be a big challenge for me: 1.) Bugs -- I hate them. 2.) The way too many southerners treat animals. Their reputation is fairly well known & not good. (There are also many who are great pet parents.) Rather than getting used to it, I have an increasingly hard time living with the animal misery I see around me, perpetrated not by grizzly old geezers but by people way young enough to know better. We live in the burbs of a city, not the backwoods.

I've lived in every section of the U.S. except the southwest, and lived & worked all over the world. Nowhere else (except China) have I seen as prevalent neglect of pet dogs as here -- in fact, everywhere else many would have been removed from the home by Animal Control. Here, no requirements beyond shelter, food, water -- and the "shelter" is often in name only, such as an open porch in the rain & in midwinter when temps go into the teens. They live their lives and rot in backyards, frequently un-neutered, un-walked, unsocialized, definitely un-washed, sometimes sick. When asked, this is what my neighbors indignantly say: "I don't want that dirty dog in the house!!" (He's dirty 'cause he lives outdoors & you don't bathe him.) "Dogs don't belong in houses!" "She likes being outside & I don't have time to walk her." "He's so bad on leash, I can't handle him." (Try an obedience class?) And the best one from next door: "Oh, dogs don't care!" Each of these quotes is one I've heard myself. And others. From people in McMansions as well as small ranch houses.

To "why did you get a dog?" the usual answer is, "The kids wanted one." Same tone as they'd use about a new X-Box. The animal as thing. A friend's golden retriever now must lose a leg to a problem brought on by living outside & neglect: his vet also recommends he be shaved bare & treated for rampant skin fungus. He has not been bathed in YEARS. Confined all day to a screened small back porch, he has gone from a sweet funny lovely dog to one they're afraid will bite someone. I'm going to recommend they put him down -- "I WON'T HAVE THAT DOG IN THE HOUSE SCRATCHING UP MY NEW FLOORS!" declares her husband. He was HIS dog before they met, not hers. He has no chance of healing well the way he is forced to live.

Dogs (& cats) are treated worse than livestock. Sheep, cattle provide a living & are cared for, not so, dogs. Can anybody explain why? Dogs used to be workers on farms & not pets -- I get that. But this is the 21st century & the rest of the country has changed as we learn more & more about their behaviors & needs. Almost all these folks brag about their Christianity; it's not a version I was taught. I'd love to understand what's up.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Re: Who Can Explain the Attitude Toward Dogs in the U.S. Sou

JF, I'm sorry you have to see this behavior, I know it's breaking your heart. :blackeye:

I think the word you're looking for though, is "low-class", which is everywhere, not just in the south. Low-class is even as far north as Alaska, where Bristol Palin's "baby-daddy"'s" MOM is up on 6 felony drug charges (plus Sarah Palin's sister-in-law was arrested for burglary. She left her baby in the car during the burglary :o ). Trash is everywhere.

But I do believe you might see more of it in the southern US, because it's a lower cost of living. It's hard to pay the big bucks without a college education or high-skill job. And that type of behavior is purely ignorant and unenlightened, reflecting that lack of education. Usually that long line of dumb stretches back for generations, and they just treat the dog the same way their parents did. Even if someone can afford a McMansion, remember "money can't buy class".

I can say all this because I live in the southern US, but I treat my animals like family. I microwave chicken breasts and turkey burgers for their dinner. They sleep inside on tempurpedic (sp?) pillows or on our beds. They have harnesses, not collars and they're walked at least twice a day. I take them on car outings at least once a week, and they are doted on continuously.

So, I know it's not much compensation, but maybe next time you see a neglected dog somewhere you can think to yourself "Well, at least iLander's dogs are happy". :bigsmile:

The alternative is to call a rescue group and see what they have to say. Maybe they can foster and place these animals in loving homes. How are you going to get these animals? Bet if you offer these sleazy owners fifty bucks they'll take it (being who they are, though, they'll ask for $100 and settle for $75).

It's a sad situation, I know. Sorry that you have to see that.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

iLander, thanks for your input. I realize people in this area treat their dogs like their parents did. No excuse. I grew up with dogs that were part of the family but also learned not to train them as my mom & dad first did -- by hitting them as their parents had -- and even mom & dad got it themselves that it's not only cruel, but unproductive, & totally changed their approach. So why don't people here understand better care of animals? I doubt most of these folks raise their children as they were raised -- why their dogs?

Of course there are jerks anywhere who neglect & abuse pets, as there are great Southern animal lovers, but the prevalence of bad treatment in our Southeast puzzles me. People are not more stupid here. Not less informed. In fact, the wall that goes up if you try even gently to ask them indicates they've heard it before & have no interest. Why?????

To be honest, I have stolen 3 dogs & placed them in homes where they've been loved & cared for. One had been hit by a car & never taken to a vet, left to live in a back yard night & day, summer & winter, forced to climb steps to a 2nd-floor porch for food & water, rickety as she was (un-spayed & prey for male dogs when in heat). She cried all day long. I spent $600 having her spayed, vaccinated & examined -- the family never said thank you or offered any portion of repayment, which they could well afford. Even my vet, when i told him how she lived, advised, "Pull her out of there."

If you mean internal class, I agree -- that has nothing to do with income or education. But it doesn't compute that more people down here lack it than anywhere else. It more than breaks my heart -- shatters me to see some of the conditions dogs live in, even those owned by otherwise lovely people. Can a native Southerner help me understand?

Acrossley

Rough_Rock

I live in a very nice part of the South ... Aside from news stories and volunteering at local shelters, I've never seen a direct case of animal neglect. Our dog is our "first child" .... She was with us for seven years before we had our little guy. Lulu travels with us, sleeps with us and has It as good if not better medical care :) My friends and family all have the same view of their animals .... The areas we frequent are also filed with lovely parks of happy dogs and pet owners.

I know neglect happens, but it is often in the lower socio-economical pockets of all areas - not just the South. I've lived here for twenty-six years and feel it's a wonderful place for dogs. If you are concerned about the area you are in, please consider partnering with the Humane Society in their efforts. I do a charity photo shoot for pet owners and their pets where proceeds benefit the general fund. Also, have you lived in various areas throughout the South or just your location now? If not, then your actual town may be the issue - not the "South."

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I'm so glad you took care of that poor, sad, dog. ;( Thank you!

I'm not actually native (born overseas), but I was raised here. I guess I really don't know what to tell you.

I do think a lot of people are REALLY self-centered though. My dad lives with a woman who has 2 labs locked up in the backyard and they never take them out for a walk. He was complaining about the yard being all dirt and the dogs having allergies (I think they live in filth and scratch themselves from boredom and cheap food). But, as a classic narcissist, my dad is a complete @$$ in a lot of ways, not just toward his dogs. I think these self-centered people don't think of any one else's feelings, much less the feelings of their animals.

I guess I don't see it as only a regional thing. Not arguing, just trying to see where you're coming from. Are their a lot of northerners that you know that treat their dogs well?

I asking because it's an argument my DH (from up north) and I always have; I say stupid is everywhere, and he says stupid is concentrated in the south. Then I point him toward an episode of Jersey Shore . . . :lol:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

All I can tell you is that it isn't just in the south. I find it a bit disheartening to see you stereotyping the area really. What about pitt bull breeders in the cities who fight their dogs? What about ranch owners whose dogs live in the barn with the cows and sheep? What about the places where dogs run rampant in the streets?

People are cruel to animals everywhere. It isn't just one area.

That being said. You need to report cruelty when you see it, not just go talk to the owners who will give lame excuses. You are as much responsible as they are when you don't report cruelty.

Edited to add: I was born and raised in the south. MOST people in the south view their animals as family. MOST people in the south will see a stray and stop to find out if it has tags, if it needs help, and if it does, they'll take it to the appropriate place. MOST people in the south make sure their animals are happy, and healthy. They also take the time to make sure other animals are happy and healthy. There are very few people that I know, including farmers, city dwellers, students, parents, elderly, country dwelling folks etc. that won't take in a needy animal and do everything they can to make sure it is happy and healthy and has a warm safe place to call home.

I really do think that it might be just an area you are in? The south in general is a very animal friendly area.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I've spent time in animal shelters in the northeast and almost all of the dogs come from the south. There just isn't a stray dog population up here, but there is a large one in the south and a never ending supply of cute beagles and hound dogs to be adopted by those up here. It's very sad. I think education is really the key, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I own rabbits which are typically treated worse than an average dog or cat - bought as an object, kept in a tiny cage, released into the wild when the owners get bored. I think the state of pets in the US is improving, but not quickly enough.

Acrossley

Rough_Rock

Elrohwen|1301579272|2884167 said:
I've spent time in animal shelters in the northeast and almost all of the dogs come from the south. There just isn't a stray dog population up here, but there is a large one in the south and a never ending supply of cute beagles and hound dogs to be adopted by those up here. It's very sad. I think education is really the key, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I own rabbits which are typically treated worse than an average dog or cat - bought as an object, kept in a tiny cage, released into the wild when the owners get bored. I think the state of pets in the US is improving, but not quickly enough.

How are these dogs migrating from the South to Northeast??? How do you know all of the stray dogs in your area have travelled so far? Just curious .....

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I don't know why it is, Laurie, but I've noticed the same thing. Dogs kept chained up in the backyard in all weather, allowed to wander and not kept safe, not walked or loved... It reminds me at times of some of the developing countries I've lived in. It's frustrating and heartbreaking and I really wish it'd stop.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

AHA! :idea: I think I have figured it out! :appl:

In the south, dogs were traditionally used to hunt "coon" and stuff. They are considered possessions, and equipment. They were treated that way for generations in hunting areas of the south.

LD, do you live in a hunting area? Maybe the attitude toward hunting dogs is overlapping onto non-hunting breeds?

Up north, what little hunting there was (not enough open country/wildlife), usually had an air of traditon and some sophistication. Hunting for ducks is more ritualized than hunting for "coon for dinner".

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Acrossley|1301579878|2884176 said:

How are these dogs migrating from the South to Northeast??? How do you know all of the stray dogs in your area have travelled so far? Just curious .....

This.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

The general attitude you're describing isn't localized to the South. It isn't localized to low-class, or uneducated, or anything else. It is localized to people who believe that dogs are animals. My family feels that way. Some of my family is guilty of chaining up dogs outside for their entire lives. Do they love their dogs? It's more like they love to be with the dog when the dog is on perfect behavior or is a necessary accomplice to an action (hunting). My family grew up depending on our dogs for our meals. They lived outside, they hunted outside, they were not be petted or shown affection unless they had done a good job hunting. A hunting dog isn't fed the morning of the hunt because they're better hunters on an empty stomach. Livestock dogs live outside and work outside. They sleep with the cattle or wherever they want. They come up to the barn for food just like the other animals. I guess it's just a transition from not needing working dogs but not really knowing what to do with them if they're not "needed."

I have also seen people who lock their dogs up on porches, never bathe, never walk, never play. They're not in danger of losing their dogs. They do have their basic needs met and it's not a requirement to walk your dog daily.

I certainly don't treat animals as "family." I would shoot a dog if it bit my child. Flat out. No questions asked. Don't care if it's the child's "fault." However, I think all animals should be treated with respect.

I believe the people you're describing have respect for life IF it has a monetary value. Their cattle, horses, chickens, whatever, have a monetary value and will be taken care of as an investment. A dog who doesn't work is just an animal like a raccoon or a possum is an animal. They think they're doing a good thing just by giving it an occasional pat and some food.

And no flames please. I'm answering a question based on my experiences. I'm not saying that all dogs should be penned up and shot.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I dont think the dogs are migrating, rescuers are sending them to where they have a better chance. So the shelters do know where the dogs came from.

Shortly after my mother died my father moved us just outside Charlottsville. I was in 3rd grade then. we got a puppy named worcestershire. Our neighbors were art professors at UVA and had a basset hound named bently. That was all nicely civilized. The next nearest neighbors had a lab kind of dog, not allowed in the house and in a condition no one wanted to have anything to do with. Absolutely paved in huge tics ready to burst. There was a pond down the road (about a mile) that worcestershire and bently frequented on their morning jaunt. They would always come back wet and coated in the red clay that was the land. One day bently came back with buck shot in his hinds. worcestershire never came back. We moved back up north. I have a cousin by marriage who has a horse farm near there. She also breeds champion terriers. Her animals are treated very well, but they are still to her commodity objects.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I definitely think it's localized to the south. I grew up in a rural area in the south and can't tell you how many starving dogs showed up through the woods at my house growing up. We once took in and kept three puppies who had most likely gotten loose from this redneck's house who lived through the woods. The dogs were starving, had worms and were in awful shape. The guy probably kept them in a kennel for hunting.

The type of hunters who use dogs to hunt tend to starve the dogs because then they're extra hungry when they take them hunting and they're more likely to work hard to find deer. My dad also hunts and has a major issue with people running dogs when they hunt. He doesn't think it's sporting and most of the people who do it take awful care of the animals, which he also has a major problem with.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

It seems to be well known in the rescue community that you need to transport Southern animals in kill shelters up North to even give them a chance at being adopted. There's MUCH MORE demand here ... especially for small dogs, family dogs etc. And there are FAR MORE "no kill" shelters. When you read ads on Petfinders etc ... they often mention the origin of the dog as having been brought up from the South (kill shelter) or rescued from a Midwest puppy mill.

They even transport small dogs from CALIFORNIA to the Northeast. ON PLANES. To give them a chance. According to news releases I've read on the "Air Lift" project, California is overrun with vanity toy breed dogs carelessly bought for kids/teens/fashionistas and then abandoned in shelters when they poop on a Pump.

But, FWIW, I grew up in the South and never saw animal abuse of any kind.

Acrossley

Rough_Rock

In truth, I think there is a terrible amount of generalization taking place ....

I do believe the best account for the "attitude towards dogs" in the South has been mentioned. People have and currently use dogs for hunting, herding and working. Has anyone watched documentaries on sledding dogs used in Alaska? These dogs are worked until bones are literally visible. In that same sense, I am not so ignorant to ask why Alaskans treat dogs poorly. To categorize an entire region in any regard is rather extreme.

To compare the "situation" to a third world country is just absurd. For those of you who have traveled to third world countries know that those animals are pitiful. After a month in Ecuador working in local villages, my heart hurt for those animals, too. I am not so bold to think animal abuse isn't present or individuals here have a more occupational view of dogs, but I caution against generalizations. Making global comments like this is truly ignorant.

It would be just as bad for me to post "Who can explain the pompous attitudes and general rudeness of individuals in the U.S. North." That's a generalization, too, that many in the South believe ... one that has been proven wrong TO ME by many loving friend in the North. ;-)

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Acrossley|1301588949|2884305 said:
In truth, I think there is a terrible amount of generalization taking place ....

I do believe the best account for the "attitude towards dogs" in the South has been mentioned. People have and currently use dogs for hunting, herding and working. Has anyone watched documentaries on sledding dogs used in Alaska? These dogs are worked until bones are literally visible. In that same sense, I am not so ignorant to ask why Alaskans treat dogs poorly. To categorize an entire region in any regard is rather extreme.

To compare the "situation" to a third world country is just absurd. For those of you who have traveled to third world countries know that those animals are pitiful. After a month in Ecuador working in local villages, my heart hurt for those animals, too. I am not so bold to think animal abuse isn't present or individuals here have a more occupational view of dogs, but I caution against generalizations. Making global comments like this is truly ignorant.

It would be just as bad for me to post "Who can explain the pompous attitudes and general rudeness of individuals in the U.S. North." That's a generalization, too, that many in the South believe ... one that has been proven wrong TO ME by many loving friend in the North. ;-)

Soooo....making a comment based on my actual experiences is ignorant? I stand by what I said. The attitude surrounding animals that I have seen in the area I live now I have only ever seen before while living in Panama. I fail to see how drawing connections based on my actual experience is ignorant.

ETA: Okay, let me clarify so you know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about upper-middle class to upper class neighbourhoods in BOTH countries, not comparing pets to street dogs.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock

Jewelfreak- Im so sorry you have to see this constantly. As a fellow dog lover, that would seriously mess with me having to see that all the time. But GOOD FOR YOU for the dogs you have personally helped. I dont live in the south, so I cant answer your question. What really pisses me off about people who treat their animals like crap is they think animals are property. No one *has* to have a dog. If you dont have time for it, DONT GET ONE. If all your going to do is stick it in the backyard or god forbid tie it up for its whole life (which is animal abuse by the way), DONT GET ONE. And I would love to know how in the hell a dog is supposed to be friendly when they are treated like this. I know alot of people that think of dogs as animals and not family members (not me! my dogs are family 100%), and they still dont treat their dogs like that. That type of animal neglect comes from a lack of respect for LIFE I would say. Not from thinking dogs are *animals* not family members. I would also say that people who have a *family* type relationship with their dog as opposed to just tossing them outside probably have vastly different relationships with their animals. Sorry for the side tangent, animal neglect/abuse enrages me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I've seen more badly treated animals in the South than anywhere else I've lived. I worked in rescue for 15 years, was on the Board of my Obedience Training club outside NYC for a decade & president for 2 terms. I showed dogs, trained obedience & volunteered as a behaviorist at one of the best SPCA shelters in the country, and I taught classes. I've trained shelter workers on what northern breeds need in a home, how to evaluate & behave w/them. I'm a dog person. Shelters in the South do send dogs north to keep them from being killed or when they are too full to handle more sad cases.

I'm not denigrating the South in general, I love it in many ways. I am saying what I've seen. I live in what the papers would call a prosperous suburb of a good-sized Southern city, in a neighborhood that could not be called low-income in anybody's eyes, nice families, great kids. large properties. About 2/3 of the dog owners are loving & caring. The rest make me sad and cynical and downright enraged. If you lived in the South & didn't see it, you've been lucky or blind. I've traveled around other nearby states, talked often to friends & other dog people, and as I said, this part of the country has a reputation I'd heard before moving here for more poor pet care than in other places.

I do get it that dogs in the old days were working partners & did not come inside -- no quarrel here. Those are bred for it & usually well cared for. Except the rednecks & their starved hunting dogs. I know hunting-dog breeders who compete around the world -- their dogs work faultlessly & they'd never DREAM of leaving them hungry. That takes place outside the south too & shows the owner is ignorant, lazy & stupid. Train well, bond w/them & they'll go off a cliff for you. New England's farms depended on herding & guard dogs for centuries but they don't use that as an excuse to treat dogs badly now. What's wrong with us here??

Laws are usually non-existent. The city nearby just passed a ban on leaving a dog chained at night. Real proud of themselves. Gee whiz. In my town, there are no requirements except food, water & rudimentary shelter. Report neglect? It's legal, as long as there's a dish & a roof (no walls necessary). I've given up on that.

I hate seeing it anywhere -- but in most other areas you can report neglect or abuse & something is done. Not here. So the reason I'm hearing is, "My granddaddy did it that way and I do the same," huh? Pretty poor. Anybody have a better explanation?

--- Laurie

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JF - No words of wisdom, but I'm sorry.

I know I would be every bit as upset and angry and hurt as you are - and thank you, so much, for caring enough to rescue those animals. One doesn't need to proclaim oneself as an 'animal-lover' to be pained by cruelty - and sometimes I really feel that casual cruelty is so much worse - how can a person not believe that a creature under his/her care/supervision is deserving of that care and supervision?

Actually, I'd probably offer to chain their kids - the other creatures under their care and supervision - up for a few days in said shelter with bowls of food and water, and relish the outburst, but that's just me :rolleyes:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

dragonfly411|1301580801|2884189 said:

This.

There is a pretty tight network of "transporters" in the rescue community. Essentially the person in charge of the rescue requests help transporting a dog from a no kill shelter and the transporters take shifts. They're usually stretches of 120 miles or so. They say when and where to meet, then you take the dog, transport them for a couple of hours and then the dog goes with the next transporter. It's a really great way for a dog to get to his/her "forever" home, or just to get the dog out of a no-kill shelter.

I did not grow up in the south, but did grow up in a poor, rural community in the midwest. I'm ashamed of how we treated my childhood dog (a lab I absolutely adored). First, we got him from a backyard breeder, which I had no idea what that was until I was an adult. Second, he never slept inside, which sort of kills me now. Third, we never took him to the vet--no vaccinations or even an annual checkup. Obviously we didn't treat him this way from lack of love, my parents (or I) just didn't KNOW better. Now, as an adult who absolutely adores my dogs and would do anything for them, I'm completely ashamed of how we treated my childhood dog. I guess it's one of those situations where I did what I knew and once I knew better, I did better.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock

Having a dog is a lot easier in the South. Generally property is cheaper and most people have a back yard. The weather is milder, so it seldom snows or even gets that cold. Someone could easily have a dog that requires minor upkeep in the South, whereas I think with the need for daily walks in the Northeast, more dear property, and cold weather, there is going to be a lot more work involved in owning an animal. In the Northeast, I doubt there are many outdoor-only pets, so people have to groom and bathe the pets to bring them into their homes. I'd say that there is just overall more effort in maintaining a pet outside of the South (or other places with similar profiles) and that the tendency towards inertia cannot be overstated. In the Northeast, you would need to *want* a pet to make such a daily commitment to its upkeep.

I think this thread has also varied between criticism of people who keep dogs in their backyards and rarely interact with them to people who truly neglect the pets and refuse medical care, chain them up continuously, or beat/starve them. There's a huge difference between these two things and although I don't think the first is ideal, I do not think it is unethical. I would say that this scenario is probably more common in the South because of the factors listed above and because the mentality is a little bit more like everyone is "on their own". As in, "I give the dog food and water, make sure it has shelter and room to run around safely, and an occasional bath, but the dog is on its own for interaction and level of cleanliness."

To be fair, I'm also not sure you could blame someone if they didn't seek all the best medical care for their animals if their other family members were uninsured or underinsured. With so many people losing their health insurance over the past 10 years, I think this could also be a contributing factor.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady|1301593001|2884335 said:
dragonfly411|1301580801|2884189 said:

This.

There is a pretty tight network of "transporters" in the rescue community. Essentially the person in charge of the rescue requests help transporting a dog from a no kill shelter and the transporters take shifts. They're usually stretches of 120 miles or so. They say when and where to meet, then you take the dog, transport them for a couple of hours and then the dog goes with the next transporter. It's a really great way for a dog to get to his/her "forever" home, or just to get the dog out of a no-kill shelter.

I was part of a group like this in grad school. The dogs and cats we transported often came from over-crowded shelters in the South and they were often next on the list to be euthanized because no one down there had claimed them. My stretch would be from Baltimore to Delaware, about 70 miles. Then I would pass the animal(s) off to someone who could continue the journey up further north unless the animal was spoken for locally.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

Making sweeping generalizations and making counter-generalizations based on only yourself ("I would NEVER mistreat my dog, so clearly the South is not as bad as you say!") is equally silly.

I imagine that doing some internet research would provide a lot of proof of how differently animals are treated in the south than they are elsewhere, for a multitude of reasons. In the South in particular, dogs were originally kept to be farm and hunting animals - they were NOT pets. They were animals with a purpose, much like a cow or chicken. Looking at them in that regard, I understand it. Would YOU keep a cow in your living room if it got cold? I bet not.

However, blatant mistreating such as leaving the dogs with no clean water or adequate shelter is just neglect, plain and simple. If I lived out there, I would be "rescuing" a LOT of dogs, and sending them off to be adopted by someone who actually cares. The problem with that? The moronic original owners will just go find another dog, and the cycle will start again. Though if you have the time, the dogs you save will forever be happier.

I can't think of a solution...but I don't think that it will help to be all offended by the truth.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

There are many people like me (and as somethingshiny noted) who thinks an animal is at the of the day, just an animal. I'm not saying they don't have feelings, etc...but in my hierachy of life, they don't sit up there with humans. I wouldn't give an animal the level of care, attention (and for some, spoiling) that I see many good pet owners giving animals...many of them who are quite "humanized" in the owners eyes.

That's why no matter how much my kid begs me, I will never, ever buy her a dog or a cat. Because if I were an animal, there's no way I'd want an owner like me who thinks it's just an animal. I mean, I think they're cute...but just like that hot guy at a bar, "cute" is not a good enough reason to start a relationship! There are SO many better owners out there for a pet. For better or worse, I'm not one of them.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

zipzapgirl|1301593922|2884345 said:
Having a dog is a lot easier in the South. Generally property is cheaper and most people have a back yard. The weather is milder, so it seldom snows or even gets that cold. Someone could easily have a dog that requires minor upkeep in the South, whereas I think with the need for daily walks in the Northeast, more dear property, and cold weather, there is going to be a lot more work involved in owning an animal. In the Northeast, I doubt there are many outdoor-only pets, so people have to groom and bathe the pets to bring them into their homes. I'd say that there is just overall more effort in maintaining a pet outside of the South (or other places with similar profiles) and that the tendency towards inertia cannot be overstated. In the Northeast, you would need to *want* a pet to make such a daily commitment to its upkeep.

I think this thread has also varied between criticism of people who keep dogs in their backyards and rarely interact with them to people who truly neglect the pets and refuse medical care, chain them up continuously, or beat/starve them. There's a huge difference between these two things and although I don't think the first is ideal, I do not think it is unethical. I would say that this scenario is probably more common in the South because of the factors listed above and because the mentality is a little bit more like everyone is "on their own". As in, "I give the dog food and water, make sure it has shelter and room to run around safely, and an occasional bath, but the dog is on its own for interaction and level of cleanliness."

To be fair, I'm also not sure you could blame someone if they didn't seek all the best medical care for their animals if their other family members were uninsured or underinsured. With so many people losing their health insurance over the past 10 years, I think this could also be a contributing factor.

Keeping a dog in the backyard (usually by itself) and ignoring it IS truly neglect. Why get a dog if this is how you're going to treat it? It makes NO SENSE.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I grew up in the South (and live here now), but my family is from the North and I spent about 8 years up there. I don't think this problem is limited to the South. Maybe it's more prevalent here, but I saw it up North too. Either way, it's despicable and people who don't treat their animal like a beloved family member, shouldn't have one!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't personally get a dog and ignore it because I just wouldn't have a dog that way. However, I don't agree that if someone chains a dog up in their backyard it's neglect necessarily.

Again, for me, an animal is an animal. I would leave any other animal outside (if it could stand the temperatures, etc) so I don't have a huge problem leaving a dog outside. I understand all animals have feelings. I get that they want to be with people. But, that doesn't mean they get their way all the time.

I consider actual neglect to be what my parents have done. Chain the dog in the back yard, food and water *most* of the time, no vet care EVER, random puppies also not cared for, etc. But, a dog who can roam the backyard, get food and water and some semblance of shelter isn't neglected, IMO. He's just not as well off as some others.

And this burns my a$$. There are more billboards, campaigns, commercials and organizations for saving dogs than there are for the starving, beaten, addicted children in this country. This isn't directed to anyone in particular, just something that irritates me and it popped in my head during this thread.

Acrossley

Rough_Rock

Princess - sorry if I offended you with my comment. I just feel that lumping the "South" in one large category is rather reckless. I am certainly not saying your experiences are false, but until you or I have lived in several areas throughout the South, I feel these statements are unfair. It may be more accurate to say that animal cruelty is more rampant in your city, town, etc.,

I know that animal cruelty exist here, and I also find it unfair to contribute it to family teachings. I did grow up in a poor are with very little where animals were outside always. I never stepped foot in a vet until I was thirteen and my dog was hit by a car. From my experiences in living in three southern states, financial provisions does play a factor. I did not grow up with health insurance, so we were certainly not capable of taking our dogs for check-ups. My views changed tremendously through college, grad school and travels. In essence, we are responsible for what we do as adults and what we teach the world around us!

I had no idea about the underground railroad for dogs ... I am honestly impressed :) Thank you all for helping helpless animals!

Stereotypes exist in all regions ... it is an ignorant practice to uphold them. If you are experiencing trouble in your specific location, please question why that location is troubled. I live in an upper-class community just outside of the city and find the bulk of animals are well-cared for here.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Hearing stories like this breaks my heart!! I am from Michigan, and I do see the same thing around here, although maybe not as prevalently. I agree that it's kind of a "class" attitude... Poor doggies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results