shape
carat
color
clarity

What jewelry would you wear to an interview at a jewelry store?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say you were applying at a BM type jewelry franchise that sells a few great diamonds and many so-so ones. Would you avoid wearing your good diamonds at all and stick with mostly metals, say a simple Tiffany & Co. silver necklace or would you go full out and show off what great taste you have with a fabulous WF pendant or WF stud earrings?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear something I think is nice and enjoy wearing. Of course most of the store managers I see have multi rings on their fingers so they might think you are under "blinged". Good luck at your interview.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I haven''t applied to any stores yet, but plan to once my kids are back in school, just so I have something to do during the day. . . You''re right that most store sales gals wear too many rings!!! lol Guess I''ll try a nice pendant and my diamond studs and cross my fingers that that''s enough bling.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have worked for a dozen jewelry stores in the last 30 years and had many conversations about jewelry during those interviews and while interviewing possible new employees...heres my thoughts
1- know everything about the jewelry you are wearing...if a conversation starts about your jewelry then the intiviewer could be gauging your knowledge,selling ability and communication skills while talking about your own pieces.
2-a young interviewer may be intimitated by alot of jewelry,so wear only a few high quality pieces in this case.
3-better to wear nothing then trendy cheap costume jewelry to a fine jewelry store.
4- try to wear jewelry brands that the jeweler carry in their store, and point out your love of the brand in the interview
5-Be careful about what you say about jewelry quality. I would never wear xxx or xxx is out dated comments could cost you the job
6-Research the jewelry lines the store carries and direct comments on your jewelry to those brands.
7-dont talk about the employee discount or the jewelry on your want list unless the interviewer brings it up first.
8-dont wear replica watches or fake designer pieces.
9-if the store sell diamonds dont wear turquiose and silver.
10-only one of a kind...one ring per hand,one watch,one necklace,one pair of earrings....keep it un-cluttered and professional.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
What a very interesting question. I think Jeweler man gave very good advice, especially on being sure to know everything about your pieces you do wear.

If it were me, I should think wearing a few nice pieces would be the way to go.

Let us know how things go!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear something I had bought from that store. It might be worthwhile to buy something from there before the interview.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would tend to tone it down especially if my stuff is nicer than what they sell. I err on the side of less is more in certain settings!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 11:32:39 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I would wear something I had bought from that store. It might be worthwhile to buy something from there before the interview.
I do have an aquamarine pendant from that store. It''s not really my style, but may be worth wearing to show them my dedication!

There are so many local jewerlers, but I do find most of the sales gals wear FAR too many pieces at once at the majority of places (except for Tiff & Co. - which I won''t be applying at) and I''m just not that type. Hopefully wearing a small selection of items will be a refreshing change.

I''m waiting until my kids are in school in the fall to apply around at stores, but do worry that I''ll be working too many weekends, SO, hopefully I can find a retailer who''ll let me have some off or I may end up looking for other forms of employment. I''d love a retail job somewhere so I can get a discount!!!
3.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, good luck with your application process and with any interviews you get! I''m soooo jealous . . . I''ve always wanted to work at a jewelry store. Good for you, and I hope you love your new job!!!
9.gif

I think your question is a very good one. If I owned a jewelry store, I would be very conscious of the image my employees project to potential customers. Jewelerman gave you some very wise advice. I would keep everything understated and high-quality. I would probably wear the same jewelry I wear every day, which consists of the following:

- my wedding set (of course)
- my diamond tennis bracelet
- my diamond three-stone necklace
- my diamond studs

I don''t ever wear a watch (simply because I don''t own a really nice one and my dream Rolex is not in the budget right now
11.gif
), but if I had a decent watch I''d probably wear that too.

Again, good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results