shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most offensive or insulting gift you''ve ever received for Christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I''ll start!! Last Christmas my MIL bought me a pair of flannel PJ''s in size XL. (I''m a medium at the most, a size 8, or size 6 at times). I opened the box and said something like "Nice PJ''s..but they look awfully big" She then said..I like them bigger, they will likely shrink in the wash! Needless to say, I tried HARD to shrink them in the wash a few dozen times..and still need suspenders if I want to wear them! I thought that was a tad insulting (even though MIL is the sweetest, most caring lady, who didn''t mean any harm by it. I''m sure).

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Anti-cellulite cream.
She sells Mary Kay on the side.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:30:47 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Anti-cellulite cream.

23.gif
Wow.
23.gif

Usually, I''d say that ANY gift is a kind gesture, and I would find it very hard to be offended or insulted by a gift. But WOW, Starset, that''s pretty bad. No, that''s really bad.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That's an odd gift! MK sells spa products, fragrances and hand lotion which would have been better choices!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
an exercise bike from my dad. Totally random, and I was probably a size 4 at the time.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:34:59 PM
Author: trillionaire
an exercise bike from my dad. Totally random, and I was probably a size 4 at the time.
Maybe he thought you were in great shape..healthy..and he wanted you to stay that way?? I''d love exercise equipment as a gift, but my friends/family know I love working out!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Not offensive, but embarrassing nonetheless. I was probably 12 and my great aunt got me a package of pantyhose.
40.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:37:30 PM
Author: beau13

Maybe he thought you were in great shape..healthy..and he wanted you to stay that way?? I''d love exercise equipment as a gift, but my friends/family know I love working out!

I hate working out, but I did use the bike. Would plop it right in front of the TV and watch movies
9.gif
I wish I had one now, at my apt. I love zone out cardio, if I am forced to work out.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
It wasn''t exactly offensive, but....

2 years ago, my mom gave me, my sis, and my SIL vibrators. She didn''t know what they were!! In her defense, they all had pics of a woman massaging her neck. She really thought she gave us a great gift! I opened mine first and just started laughing. My SIL was VERY embarrased, and my sis didn''t even bother to open hers.

The most offensive gift was a set of PJ''s in a gift exchange with DH''s family. His teeny tiny aunt apparently thought I was the size of a moose and accordingly bought me Men''s size 2XL jammies. I just looked at her.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 3:34:53 PM
Author: somethingshiny

2 years ago, my mom gave me, my sis, and my SIL vibrators. She didn''t know what they were!! In her defense, they all had pics of a woman massaging her neck. She really thought she gave us a great gift! I opened mine first and just started laughing. My SIL was VERY embarrased, and my sis didn''t even bother to open hers.

The most offensive gift was a set of PJ''s in a gift exchange with DH''s family. His teeny tiny aunt apparently thought I was the size of a moose and accordingly bought me Men''s size 2XL jammies. I just looked at her.
Okay..I guess I shouldn''t be too upset about the XL jammies...men''s 2XL?? I wonder sometimes if they buy this stuff because these sizes are all that''s left, and they are on sale for next to nothing!

Erin

Ideal_Rock

2 years ago, my mom gave me, my sis, and my SIL vibrators. She didn''t know what they were!! In her defense, they all had pics of a woman massaging her neck.
Okay, either Grandmothers do this more often than people think, or I went to college with you in Normal, IL.
36.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I received a golf outfit from my SIL that she bought for herself but it didn't fit her. She was moving at the time and cleaning out her closet. Rather than just being honest, my MIL saw it as a PR opportunity, gave me the outfit, and said my SIL bought it for me while they were shopping. Bull- in all the time I've known them, I never said I even play golf.

Usually I am very appreciative of gifts, but in this case, they pretended to be thoughtful, told me a lie, and tried to play me for a fool. I'd rather not get a gift. Oh, and my SIL is far from poor, so money was not the motive. It makes me mad just typing the story!
29.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bahaha! OMG, that is the best one yet!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ex husbands mother once gave me some perfume for christmas. When I thanked her she said ''well it smelled like gnats p*ss on me so I gave it to you''
6.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 7:56:07 PM
Author: Maisie
My ex husbands mother once gave me some perfume for christmas. When I thanked her she said ''well it smelled like gnats p*ss on me so I gave it to you''
6.gif
OMG, that is awful!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 6:57:31 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana

Bahaha! OMG, that is the best one yet!
Oh geez, LOL!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:34:19 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Anti-cellulite cream.

23.gif

Wooha, I don't even have a response to this one...

My ex-husbands aunt give e a wraped up paper napkins. So, a few months later for her daughter's 2nd birthday, I gave her a bunch of toys that made the loudest, awful noise there is.
27.gif

Her little girl loved it, momma was not happy!
31.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Starset~ Nope, it wasn''t me!!! I can''t believe it happened to someone else!?

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 6:28:19 PM

2 years ago, my mom gave me, my sis, and my SIL vibrators. She didn''t know what they were!! In her defense, they all had pics of a woman massaging her neck.

Okay, either Grandmothers do this more often than people think, or I went to college with you in Normal, IL.
36.gif

Hey I went to ISU!!

somethingshiny that is the most hilarious thing ever!! I''ve seen those "neck massagers" at Brookstone - they''ve even got them laying out for people to try!!
23.gif

I can''t really think of anything flat out offensive that I''ve gotten. But one incident I can think of is an ex bf in college got me extra MEMORY for my computer for xmas. yay.
20.gif
But hey, I suppose I could appreciate the practicality of it.. I did in fact kinda need it.

But anyways, to the point..
He worked at Best Buy at the time so he got a pretty good discount on it. A couple days after he gave it to me he calls me up and asks me if i still have the packaging.. that he needs the UPC for the mail-in rebate (which I felt was kinda tacky for him to ask for.. but hey whatever).

When I said I had already thrown it away he had the nerve to ask me to dig through the trash for it! I told him if he wanted it that badly he could come over and dig through the trash HIMSELF.
38.gif

20.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Another shout out to the ISU alums - my parents are at the bball game today where we''re strangely undefeated...whoa!

Strangest gift I ever received was an "adult bib" - basically a huge apron that comes all the way to your chin. I was in college.

It was given with the best of intentions though - my gma said they were very popular at the senior center, and she knew that since I had an active social life, this way I could eat dinner before meeting my friends out.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pffft! These are nothing...My then-boyfriend''s hideous drunk step mother once gave me a white sweatshirt covered with some heinous hand painted craptastic design all over it. You know that "puff paint" stuff, except if you''re not artistic, that stuff wont suddenly turn you into a Picasso. But it wasn''t really the paint part, when I went to put it on (I was trying to be polite), I saw that it had no tags on it, then I noticed it wasn''t quite white, more like a gray dingy color, there were little balls of "pilling" all over it, and there was a brown "ring around the collar" stain of neck grime around the collar area. Needless to say I decided to not put it on. Totally gross.

kaori

Shiny_Rock
It's not really a Christmas gift but a birthday gift.

The most embarrassing gift I have ever received was my 21st birthday gift from my back then part-time job co-workers.

Knowing all of my family members were out of state, my co-workers decided to throw me a big birthday party and sent one of a younger co-worker to find me "the best gift". I was in tears when I received my gift; feeling obligated, I opened the gift in front of all my co-workers. Let's just say I had a room full of people (min. 20, male & female, from age 17-60...)

My gift is a matching set of bra and undies, lace, see through, revealing, and you name it...with the amazing size of 44 DD.....I wore size 0 back then
38.gif

MommaBear

Shiny_Rock
it wasn''t a Christmas present but that didn''t keep me from feeling insulted..
My MIL, for our wedding present mind you, bought ME a book, not DH

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger

a book! by Dr. Laura.... i can''t stand that woman!
I was ranting and raving to DH about it and then I
took it back to the bookstore for credit!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
homer simpson slippers from father-in-law. he knows i hate homer. totally did it on purpose. annoyed the bi-geebers out of me.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I received a canister of rice from my boyfriend''s very wealthy aunt. We just stopped by on their Christmas eve open house to say merry Christmas and they weren''t expecting us. She slipped away and must have gotten it out of the pantry and dropped it into a gift bag for me, my boyfriend got a fistful of money. The same thing happened last year only with a 6 pack of tea light candles. I don''t know why she feels the need to gift to us at all just because.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I received the same basket I gave to this person 2 years prior. There was dirt in the bottom, must have been used for a plant. Then some of the gifts in the basket were obviously
regifted - old chocolate drik mix,, dip mixes, nasty candy and other drugstore ceramic Christmas stuff. My guess is old teacher gifts!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:34:12 PM
Author: Haven

Anti-cellulite cream.

23.gif
Wow.
23.gif

Usually, I''d say that ANY gift is a kind gesture, and I would find it very hard to be offended or insulted by a gift. But WOW, Starset, that''s pretty bad. No, that''s really bad.
My friend''s fiance got her cellulite cream for Xmas last year. She was pretty pissed.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2008 2:37:30 PM
Author: beau13

I''m the same - I love to run, mostly outdoors, but I was lamenting the fact that I couldn''t go for runs anymore because I just had a baby & was staying home with him. Since I like to run during the day, and my husband works until pretty late at night, I couldn''t even go running in the evenings, only on the weekends. So, my husband got me a treadmill for Xmas a month after I had the baby, but I had been talking about wanting one for ages. The plus was, I lost all my pregnancy weight (and five pounds more!) by the time my baby was 9 months old! My friends said that they would have been insulted, but I was always a runner, so for me, it was a great luxury gift.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results