shape
carat
color
clarity

What is post-modern jewelry? How do they look like?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
post modern jewelry has a very strong look.It is very geometric or free flowing in line and design.Think of the contempary 1950s with its space age themes and new materials that were not traditional...stainless steel,aluminum and plastics.Sculpture and modern art were many designers inspiration.Jewelry could be artistic expression to be worn on the body,not just wearing your wealth.This was the statement of these artists in the 50s,60s and 70s.Ethnic jewelry from the American indian,Africa,India, mexico and the ancient cultures became popular.Textures and patterns that were taken from nature were used and mixed with space age design.Jewelry by modernist Alexander Calder is a very good example of very early post modern jewelry....very simple and raw.I have always appreciated the work and designs of early modernists out of mexico,Sweden and Denmark.(jorge Jensen was many light years ahead of his time!)Look on the internet for good examples of post modern jewelry.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 6:01:51 PM
Author: D&T
here is my local jeweler''s site, they do a lot of modern design. I think this would classify as post modern ?

http://www.coffinandtrout.com/gents.shtml
Yep,this style of jewelry grew out of the designs from the 1950s-70s space age/ high tech modernists...but keep in mind that there was a style of organic/nature modern style that also grew from the modernists...the nugget look in jewelry of the 80s grew from that organic natural free form style of expression!The pattern of tree bark or gravel were popular patterns that you still see in modern art jewelry in art galleries and exibits.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results