shape
carat
color
clarity

What is on YOUR xmas list so that YOUR kids to get you?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have bling on my shopping list!!!!!! I try not to have an xmas list, i just have a list of things to get whenever i can afford to get it. Kids grow up and they soon understand the meaning of gift giving... commercial as it may seem....so i do prefer birthdays in that respect.

For me: giving kids present(s) is the highlight of the xmas day or their birthday- seeing their expresssions is priceless..We try not to encourage the excesses of gift giving that we see sometimes, but it is so easy to get caught up with it all, isnt it?????

Well, my oldest is nearly 3 and the youngest is 4 months. BUt i am sure that some older kids ask parents- what does M/ D want this year for Xmas/ birthday etc....

I have to reassess my gift lists- me thinks the usual socks and jocks are the easiest, oh and i dont mind the odd scented candle....

What else do other PSer's have on the list for the kids to get you?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have kids, but here is what I am getting my parents -

For my mom, we are getting a plant store gift certificate because she wants to buy a new tree. They had one fall down in the ice storm - she wanted to have it uprooted and taken away because it's not a kind she likes, but the ice neatly did one half of that for her!

For my dad, we have gotten him a Trakline belt - http://koreessentials.com/

For both, we got them a subscription to Amazon Prime. My dad orders stuff off Amazon all the time, like every week, but doesn't have Prime. I don't know that they'll ever USE the Prime Instant movies/tv, but they'd like it if they did, and they'll certainly get their money's worth out of the shipping.

I think my husband just gets everyone in his family Amazon gift certificates every year since he can just email them.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember ever asking specifically what my parents or grandparents (or anyone really) wanted. I enjoyed observing through the year and trying to find the thing that they would enjoy. That probably didn't just happen without help! I have snips of memories where my grandmother was talking about presents and why she thought each person would like them...

Word of caution as you prepare lists for b-days or Christmas. For that matter, as you answer questions from kids about what your SO would like.

Anyway...
Make sure to walk them through WHY a person would like something. Teach them how to notice the person and think about who they are and what they would want/need/enjoy. Don't have them do generic impersonal things.
Which isn't to say you shouldn't do things like socks (to use your example). Just help them put time into selecting the "right" socks -- Does M/D wear bright orange socks? No? Yes, they like that color! Do you think M/D wears the shorter ones or the longer?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Last year I made donations on behalf of all my "older" relatives. Honestly in my family if we want something we just go out and buy it ourselves. Gifts are for the children but I still like to let them know I think of them and how much I love them. However, they would rather have me donate $$ to a charity they feel strongly for then have me buy them a scarf etc. I actually posted about it on PS which **gasp shock** people didn't care for at all :shock: . I quess when you post on a luxury forum the idea of not getting an actual gift is quite selfish of me as many posters pointed out that a donation is the worst gift ever. Anyhow my family loved it and this year all adults are exchanging donation gifts to charities. Actually since we are moving this year we asked everyone to not send gifts to our childern either. I just don't get all the hype around actual gift giving for the holidays. Whatever happend to good will towards man/woman and peace on earth etc?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our family kids aren't allowed to give gifts! Unless they are handmade or in the form of a good report card :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is something handmade from my children, if not, books and music CDs (yes, I still purchase CDs, then download it onto my iPod). My eldest offered to pay for my $1K car repair bill but it's too much for a young one even though the gesture is greatly appreciated. :))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lululemon anything... from socks to pants doesn't matter.... DD is 15 so shopping with her step dad is the highlight for her of the season she has him all to herself for to drag through the crowds... and my birthday is the week before Christmas so double fun for her..

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone in our family makes a list. For DH and I, it is always hard to come up with stuff that we didn't just go out and purchase for ourselves. I have to keep from buying stuff from October on, and put it on a list for the kids. Even though they are old,30-17, they still want to do it this way.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your DD might be making something for you in pre-school, or your DH may already have something in mind for the kids to give to you. If not, give him a list of smallish things the kids could get that they'd get to see you use, such as socks or slippers or flip-flops (for goodness sake, I hope you're kidding about the "jocks"). Do you have any hobbies that they could indulge, such as a small fancy kitchen gadget if you cook?

BTW I'm guessing you'll be doing the same thing for your DH. I like TooPatient's suggestion that you basically veralize your thought processes as you pick a present for your kids to give your DH. By next year your older daughter will probably have of own list of what she wants to give each of her daddies.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a list. I was talking to my 3 years old son, and he was telling me that I like cars, just like him. I told him no, and asked him what I like. He said nail polish. So he said he would buy my nail polish. On another day, we have the same convo, and I told him I also like diamonds. He said daddy can get the diamond, and he get me nail polish. But later, he changed his mind and said he is going to buy me diamonds. LOL. That's all I need.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are grown up. I ask for a photo of them (together or separate) for Christmas. It's basically free, but I appreciate it so much. My youngest daughter takes the pic(s) and develops them for free at work. I re-use frames I already have.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like SB, we usually get gifts for the kids and then as a family, make a donation in our family name to a charity. My kids want for nothing (nor do we) and we feel that it's important to teach them about giving back....so other than being kind to one another (because my kids tend to bicker a lot), we don't want anything from them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just give the kids gifts, my parents (who will throw an ungodly fit that we spent money on them when we don't have much) and my brother/SIL. The kids don't get us stuff. Well, a couple years ago the kids got mugs for everyone that had a drawing of them done by our missydebby. London is getting to the age she can start doing stuff to earn money to buy for grampa/gramma/uncle/aunt.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
qtiekiki|1387300586|3576171 said:
I don't have a list. I was talking to my 3 years old son, and he was telling me that I like cars, just like him. I told him no, and asked him what I like. He said nail polish. So he said he would buy my nail polish. On another day, we have the same convo, and I told him I also like diamonds. He said daddy can get the diamond, and he get me nail polish. But later, he changed his mind and said he is going to buy me diamonds. LOL. That's all I need.

I love it! Have to start brainwashing my LO to gift diamonds to mommy. :lol:

We're giving my mom Samsung galaxy s4. It comes with a data plan and technical support (me) ;))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'm got my mom perfume, makeup from Estee Lauder-- few shades of lipstick, two glosses, a few eyeshadow quads, blush, eyeliner and mascara, and moisturizer, a nice robe, and a clutch bag for night time events. She'd asked me to go shopping with her for new mascara and for a clutch, so it seemed like the perfect surprise. I'm really excited to give it to her--when I was a kid, I'd buy her one or two of things--like, two tubes of lipstick, etc. or one bottle of perfume, so I really get a kick out of giving her a few gifts to open. For some reason, I'm a total sucker for a little pile of wrapped presents with bows on top :appl: .

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I would like one day, heck, one hour, where B sits quietly and plays with his toys. Not gonna happen.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My boys are 15 and 11...

I insist upon a homemade Xmas card (those are hilarious or super sweet - like a hand drawn pic of our cockatiel on top of the Xmas tree). That and a nice bottle of super-rich hand cream, and I'm good. One year the elder made one of those hand done coupon books of things he would do for me (wash dishes, vacuum, rub knots out of my back etc). The detail and thought put into it was wonderful. Little pictures and all.

I think it is important for kids to remember their parents and others at Xmas and gift with whatever they have to offer.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My kids are grown up :sick: so I just put stuff on a list. It's traditional that we all email lists to each other, usually with about 6-8 items so the giver can pick what to give.

It's always really cheap stuff, in the under $10 range, even though DS has a decent job, etc. This year I'm hoping for a bag of wild bird seed, a little velvet display stand for jewelry ($4), a refill on my liquid hand soap, magnetic note pads for the fridge, all little things like that. I feel guilty when the kids spend money on mom.

DH points out that their private schools and colleges have postponed our retirement for many years. But his list is all under $10 too. ;-)

Meanwhile, DIL has nothing under $50, and has her list categorized by groups and subgroups. I think it's over 30 items, but I stopped counting. Last year, DH bought 5 items for her, and she opened one gift and looked disgusted. She said "What is this, this wasn't on my list!" Yes, it was. Nobody wants to mess with her list at all this year. I think we're going to have to play rock, paper, scissors to see who gets stuck with her. :rolleyes:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1387337058|3576579 said:
Meanwhile, DIL has nothing under $50, and has her list categorized by groups and subgroups. I think it's over 30 items, but I stopped counting. Last year, DH bought 5 items for her, and she opened one gift and looked disgusted. She said "What is this, this wasn't on my list!" Yes, it was. Nobody wants to mess with her list at all this year. I think we're going to have to play rock, paper, scissors to see who gets stuck with her. :rolleyes:

Oh, boo! Sorry you have to deal with that, iLander. Is it possible to institute a family-wide spending cap, or to somehow remind her of the 'real' Christmas spirit?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1387287579|3576016 said:
Last year I made donations on behalf of all my "older" relatives. Honestly in my family if we want something we just go out and buy it ourselves. Gifts are for the children but I still like to let them know I think of them and how much I love them. However, they would rather have me donate $$ to a charity they feel strongly for then have me buy them a scarf etc. I actually posted about it on PS which **gasp shock** people didn't care for at all :shock: . I quess when you post on a luxury forum the idea of not getting an actual gift is quite selfish of me as many posters pointed out that a donation is the worst gift ever. Anyhow my family loved it and this year all adults are exchanging donation gifts to charities. Actually since we are moving this year we asked everyone to not send gifts to our childern either. I just don't get all the hype around actual gift giving for the holidays. Whatever happend to good will towards man/woman and peace on earth etc?

SB, your post really resonates with me. My family has expressed similar sentiments in years past--wanting to take money we'd usually spend on material items for each other and donate to organizations instead--but my father always insists we all have some packages to open on Christmas Day. It makes for a stressful celebration, to say the least. I read your post here and want you to know that I agree with you so much. I, as well, do not understand the materialistic hype around the "holiday" season. Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387353414|3576676 said:
SB621|1387287579|3576016 said:

SB, your post really resonates with me. My family has expressed similar sentiments in years past--wanting to take money we'd usually spend on material items for each other and donate to organizations instead--but my father always insists we all have some packages to open on Christmas Day. It makes for a stressful celebration, to say the least. I read your post here and want you to know that I agree with you so much. I, as well, do not understand the materialistic hype around the "holiday" season. Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Thanks Monarch. I have to say my post was me being a little bit of a sour apple because I still can't believe that ppl were so outspoken on this forum about how a donation / gift was unappreciative....but once again that is what you get for throwing it out there to ppl who don't know you or your relationship with family/ friends. Honestly as Yenny said my kids and family members want for nothing. We are not rich, but comfortable. Others are not so lucky. To me the holidays aren't about expressing your love to family with gifts they may or may not need but instead helping a total stranger with either a gift, act of kindness or anything else that might improve their day.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
IndyLady|1387352657|3576672 said:

Oh, boo! Sorry you have to deal with that, iLander. Is it possible to institute a family-wide spending cap, or to somehow remind her of the 'real' Christmas spirit?

yikes! yah i'd make sure she knows the spending cap - we did a $50 one this year - so i put one item on there that is $50 (but can be gotten about $20 less with coupon codes) and stated that i was certainly ok with only getting this one item - but if they chose another route i put a few smaller much less expensive items on my list as well.

doesn't she see everyone else's items/lists have much smaller $$ amounts? odd...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovebug1031|1387383816|3576868 said:

yikes! yah i'd make sure she knows the spending cap - we did a $50 one this year - so i put one item on there that is $50 (but can be gotten about $20 less with coupon codes) and stated that i was certainly ok with only getting this one item - but if they chose another route i put a few smaller much less expensive items on my list as well.

doesn't she see everyone else's items/lists have much smaller $$ amounts? odd...

Every family's gifting policies are different. DH's family does not give any gifts for any occasion - bday, xmas, achievements, milestones. Not their thing at all. Didn't pay for DH's college or grad school even though they had the means. My family gives small gifts so it's still very odd to me that DH doesn't get even a small bday gift from his parents. I'm used to his family's ways now but perhaps this DIL is from a gifting family and can't get over the small gift policy.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1387383816|3576868 said:

I've given up trying to figure her out. :rolleyes: My DS actually set a limit for everyone at $50, so maybe we're only supposed to get her one gift? Didn't leave DD options, so she just picked up a couple of things at Target for her SIL, and we just picked something at random. It wasn't worth reading through the multiple pages of list. :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results