shape
carat
color
clarity

What Food MAKES It Christmas For You?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For me, it's gingerbread. It's absolutely not Christmas without gingerbread. :appl:

For my DH it's dates stuffed with peanut butter and drizzled with confectioner's sugar. I don't really care for them, but I know it brings back memories for him, so it's totally a must-have.

Ask your kids! What food makes it Xmas for them? I wonder what they'll say . . .

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut out sugar cookies....my Mom didnt make them when I was growing up, but once I had kids (25 years ago) I decided that we needed cut out sugar cookies and I have been making them ever since...my kids dont think it would be Christmas without them 8)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My dad always purchased mixed nuts in the shell at Christmas time. We'd be cracking them, shells flying everywhere, and picking out the bits of nutmeat. So, of course I buy them for my family, too. Yum!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Julegröt (Yule porridge)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Gram's peanutbutter balls, and my mom's candy cane cookies and sugar cookie cut outs :love: :love: :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum, I never thought of chocolate covered cherries as a christmas food! My mom always loved them, and I think I love them
because of her. When I need a chocolate fix, that is what I want. Rocky mountain chocolate factory makes great ones.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
For me it's houska - a Polish bread that's braided with golden raisins in it. My mom and I make it every year for Christmas and often give loaves away.

Otherwise, we play pretty fast and loose with the menu for Christmas dinner (no must haves there) and I'm not into Christmas cookies (I know, I'm a freak!), so houska is the one thing I must have to make it Christmas.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fruit cake...I know, I know :errrr: ...I'm not a big fan of it but my Mom makes it every year (her's is actually pretty good) and it
just reminds me that its the holidays. I always have to eat 1 small piece with some coffey but thats my limit.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roasted chestnuts. Without them, it's not Christmas and they're SO good.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Danish butter cookies. I have a tin of them on my desk at work right now, and am eagerly awaiting our new tins (my company gives each employee a tin every year). It's just not Christmas without them.

When I get to spend Christmas with my family I love baking gingerbread cookies - there's something really relaxing about hanging out with my mom and rolling the dough and getting the spices just right. When I'm on my own I go for pre-made sugar cookie dough and store bought icing. There's just something about decorated cookies that screams "Christmas" to me!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Definitely cut out cookies in the shape of reindeer, snowman, bell, santa and then painted with edible paints.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we make tamales every year with the ladies in my family so for us it's having tamales around. ::) and pumpkin pie signals for me the start of the holiday season as i don't eat it any other time of the year. between nov 25 and dec 31 it's fair game to have it for most meals. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1291042694|2781725 said:
Roasted chestnuts. Without them, it's not Christmas and they're SO good.

Oh, I almost forgot the chestnuts!

Here's an EASY way to make them :wavey: if you can't roast them:

Split the bottoms lengthwise(flat end, not the point) open with a paring knife (CAREFUL! they be slippery :D ) and boil in salty (1 TBSP) water until they split open. All nuts should be covered in water, and it takes about 45 min to 1 hour. You may need to add water, but keep a rolling boil. They should SPLIT open along the seam a bit.

Then you need to peel them open before they fully cool (CAREFUL! They be hot now!) so you can get the inner skins off.

My DH, because he is made of asbestos :D , does this part.

Delicious and sweet!

GEMGIRL: How do you roast them?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing really...we grew up eating a lot of Korean food, but it really doesn't signal "happy holidays" to me.

TGuy's family does a seafood xmas every year. It's summer in Oz so it really works. But we can't do that here...doesn't feel as right. I want to start a new food tradition that Amelia can fondly remember, so I think it's going to be the aroma of lamb roast every xmas.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Eggnog, white fudge covered oreos and shooter cookies. I love holiday foods!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Peppermint ice cream. Its usually only sold at this time of year and one of my fondest memories of young adulthood is when my parents would have a half-gallon of my fave local brand already in the freezer for me when I arrived home from college on thanksgiving or xmas breaks. (This year I tried the Haagan Dass special "Peppermint Bark" flavor and its phenom(inal)!)

In more recent times --- I've felt the Xmas spirit arrive in the form of those darn Gingerbread Lattes you see everywhere. Though the Starbucks Caramel-Something-Or-Other one this season is TO DIE FOR.

I used to love Bailey's around the holidays also -- but last year it started breaking out my face. Onslaught of weird allergies as I get older. I miss it SO.

ETA: Mint Fudge Oreos! We have a stack three feet tall of those boxes. Yes: we are hoarders.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Pasteles. I know most don't know what that is but it is a puerto rican holiday tradition to make. My mom made a bunch and brought it over for thanksgiving. Yum!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I totally forgot about my new foods - Candy Cane Joe-Joes and anything dark chocolate/caramel/sea salt. Esp. the chocolates from TJ's.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah. Dark chocolate covered peppermint JoJo's. I bought 9 boxes the other day because they always sell out before the holidays. :bigsmile:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1291042056|2781722 said:
Fruit cake...I know, I know :errrr: ...I'm not a big fan of it but my Mom makes it every year (her's is actually pretty good) and it
just reminds me that its the holidays. I always have to eat 1 small piece with some coffey but thats my limit.

Ha.

I laugh in the face of Christmas Cake Calories.....as I stuff it into my face :lickout:

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Salty ham and fresh baked rolls and pastels.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
fiery|1291053471|2781853 said:
Pasteles. I know most don't know what that is but it is a puerto rican holiday tradition to make. My mom made a bunch and brought it over for thanksgiving. Yum!

Actually making Pastels is a Christmas tradition for us too!! This is definitely Christmas to me as well (I'm from Trinidad). We ONLY have it at Christmas.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I always get at least one tin of peppermint bark (Crushed peppermint imbedded in white chocolate or white and milk chocolate), and SIL always makes us snickerdoodle cookies. I can eat a ton of these things....very dangerous!

For our main Christmas meal, we have HUGE Prime Rib Roast that feeds at least 15 people, roasted on the bone with yorkshire pudding, creamed spinach, garlic mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables all made by yours truly.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Bleed Burnt Orange|1291059873|2781944 said:
fiery|1291053471|2781853 said:

Actually making Pastels is a Christmas tradition for us too!! This is definitely Christmas to me as well (I'm from Trinidad). We ONLY have it at Christmas.

Oh wow! How cool! I love them. It's just a PITB to make :p

fresh cinnamon rolls baked xmas morning :)

My mom makes them and they are THE BEST. She didn't make them one year and everyone flipped out.. it's NOT xmas with out these!!! mmmmm mmmmmm

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Not sure why mom still makes Bacalhau [cod] :confused: Her Bread Pudding with caramel whiskey sauce is on my must-have list.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Decogirl|1291061728|2781977 said:
Lutefisk swimming in salty butter, lefse, spritz and cranberry bread.

What's spritz? I understood everything else :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results