shape
carat
color
clarity

What does boutique mean?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does that mean the store only carry one certain brand and no other brands?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to look into the etymology of the word "boutique" to let you know for sure, DF, but I'm quite sure that most businesses who purport themselves to be "boutiques" carry various brands/labels.

A bridal "boutique" may be a storefront who carries several different lines. Line=one designer or label.

Another boutique might carry several different labels of women's denim.

Boutique basically means "specialty retailer."

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1381990216|3539340 said:

If a store ONLY carried one brand, I think that would be referred to as a "specialty store." Boutiques differ in that they carry more than one line.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1381992207|3539348 said:

If a store ONLY carried one brand, I think that would be referred to as a "specialty store." Boutiques differ in that they carry more than one line.
Hmmmm...when members use the word "boutiques" on watch forums that meant the store only carry one single brand and that they usually don't offer any discount off the MSRP.

If I walk into a LV boutique shop will they have other brands on display?... :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1381993779|3539352 said:
monarch64|1381992207|3539348 said:

Hmmmm...when members use the word "boutiques" on watch forums that meant the store only carry one single brand and that they usually don't offer any discount off the MSRP.

If I walk into a LV boutique shop will they have other brands on display?... :confused:

Idk, DF. I'm busy trying to obtain health insurance and can't be bothered with worrying about luxury brands and whether they are boutiques or stores! LOL!

Seriously, though, to the best of my knowledge a boutique is a store that is the only one of its kind, selling several different brands. If a particular brand, such as oh, whatever watch designer you're into, decides to call itself a "boutique," well, that is a marketing term. I'm sure others will have different opinions and rush in to correct me, but having a B.S. in Textiles/Apparel/Merchandising and having worked in retail for 17+ years off and on, I stand behind my definition of boutique. ;))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
To me the word has a nuance indicating small & exclusive & expensive. Stores use it more loosely, but an LV Boutique by definition would carry only LV products. There are bridal boutiques that carry multiple lines, but only bridal clothing. You can find specific boutiques within department stores -- such as a Cartier boutique at Harrod's. In practice any small(ish) store might call itself a boutique because the word implies exclusivity of clientele & high-end (even when it isn't). Make sense?

--- Laurie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it has a specific meaning that would allow you to say "that could be called a boutique" and "that is not." The term seems to be used to convey small, elite, and exclusive, with an emphasis on personal service. I've heard the term used a lot lately in conjunction things other than retail store - things like "boutique hotels" and "boutique health insurance."

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to VR beauty. Is meant as a place that carries exclusive brands selected by the proprieter, higher customer service (ex. boutique wedding dress store), or boutique hotels, etc are ones that have their own style with a designer, etc and are not part of a chain. But technically anyone can use the term, just like anyone call call their shop a "shoppe".

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the wrist watch world a Boutique store means the store only carries one single brand, so "no haggling" on prices were you can haggle if you are buying from an AD.

I don't know if the same rule applies to high end hand bags.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boutique means store with higher prices than a store.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382056534|3539807 said:

That was my first thought too. Boutique means expensive.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1382056534|3539807 said:

You're logic is impeccable.... not.

A boutique is a class of stores - so the prices cannot be higher than just a store. It can be higher than stores that do not offer much in the way of customer service or convenience.

To me - a Boutique is a store with:
1st above average customer service - such that enough people are willing to pay for that level of customer service (a key
reason for higher prices).
2nd - It may have a limited line of products which are not normally available in routine mass market stores; which often
tend to be higher priced than somewhat similar (to whatever degree) products in a mass market store.

Personally, a good Boutique (a real one that meets the 1st definition) is often worth the money as they often save time.

The problem of course is that there are no rules on who can use the name. Thus, it would not surprise me if Wall-mart had a Boutique section as most people always want to feel that they are getting something "important" for a cheap price.

Life is worth living if you do it right,

Perry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results