shape
carat
color
clarity

What about all your other jewellery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do most people here wear all the jewellery they hold in their jewellery boxes? I have a few pieces which I like and keep for best but have been told by my mother that whoever comes after me will probably wear it and put wear and tear on it in a way I am trying not to do.

Do you all wear what what you own, do you recycle it or does some of it just lie there for years unworn?

What about your best diamonds and jewellery does it get kept for best or not?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear it all at once, I would fall over.
2.gif
I think a few nice pieces give a classic look. But ofcourse, I'm a casual gal.
Nan

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
I wear my jewelry and even re-circulate old pieces. I try to limit the amount that I wear at once, but that depends on my mood of the day! Between the toe rings, finger rings, and other sparklies... some days I am a bit "weighed down" but my mood is elevated! Summer heat in Houston....much less jewelry!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2004 6:54:51 AM pyramid wrote:

Do most people here wear all the jewellery they hold in their jewellery boxes? I have a few pieces which I like and keep for best but have been told by my mother that whoever comes after me will probably wear it and put wear and tear on it in a way I am trying not to do.

Do you all wear what what you own, do you recycle it or does some of it just lie there for years unworn?

What about your best diamonds and jewellery does it get kept for best or not?----------------

I only wear a couple things and the rest sits either in jewelery boxes or in my safe. I have tons of stuff and my mom dumped all her jewelery on me last fall so there's not only more than I can physically wear, there's also many pieces that are just not my style. It would be nice to have some of her items remade into new jewelery (I've already reset one of the diamonds
2.gif
), but I'm taking my time right now on the rest.

Michelle

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have a cache of yellow gold (22 and 24K) from my childhood gifts from my dad's overseas travels) just waiting for my mom to give me (now that I am a big girl) I never pressured her before, but thanks for the reminder!
9.gif

I have some nice pieces, but sadly they are also yellow gold, which I no longer wear much. Plus being the beast I am, I have earrings with missing backs, necklaces with broken clasps, rings with missing stones... I have been too lazy to fix them, and finding a trustworthy jeweler here is like looking for a trustworthy mechanic!
rolleyes.gif

I am collecting some nice pieces now for my daughter (or son's wives). I am nuts, I know! I like to wear one ring on each hand, earrings and a simple necklace if wardrobe allows...

Totally off topic, but I saw a woman wear a necklace over a turtleneck. Is that normal? I can't wear chunky neckalces under turtlenecks, as I am anal about clean lines and lumps, so I would wear my tiny Peretti heart pendant necklace or something, but does anyone wear jewelery OVEr their turtlenecks?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

Totally off topic, but I saw a woman wear a necklace over a turtleneck. Is that normal? I can't wear chunky neckalces under turtlenecks, as I am anal about clean lines and lumps, so I would wear my tiny Peretti heart pendant necklace or something, but does anyone wear jewelery OVEr their turtlenecks? ----------------

I never wear turtlenecks, I can't answer on a personal level, but I think a small chain with a simple pendant *could* look okay over a turtleneck. Kind of depends upon the whole package deal. Some women can elegantly pull off what others can't, but generally, minimalism is better than risking looking tacky!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, what an odd question! I never dreamed that someone wouldn't think about wearing necklaces with a turtleneck. I own probably about 50 black turtlenecks (no lie). I *always* wear a necklace - silver of course!

I have boxes, large safety deposits & a chest of drawers full of jewelry. I collect vintage jewelry - mostly silver. It's my passion. I rarely sell something in my collection unless I want to justify a nice bauble to buy. I have been known to give pieces away though! I usually wear e.r., one ring on one hand, often a ring on the other hand, one necklace, watch, one bracelet on my right hand. I have worn my diamond bracelet w/ my watch on my left hand.

Turtleneck? I'm still chuckling. What better backdrop for a stunning necklace than a simple black turtleneck!

Edited to add: sometimes I won't wear a necklace if I have a great pair of e.r. on.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w/F&I, I love necklaces w/turtle necks. Especially ethnic jewelry. How else could I showcase my squash blossom necklace, or my turquoise chief's necklace?

win

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, interesting. I suppose I filed jewelry on clothing in the same file as stockings with sandlas. Some people will just never see either side and agree...

I guess being in the clothing industry for a while (and born a shopoholic and clothes horse) I always bought things that were simple but ornate...? I always believed that your dress sense told a lot about who you are, and I have always tried to keep a clean fresh, simple look. Designer is irrelevant, but being clean, well pressed, and keeping color and shapes in line was a big thing. Big hips look better with a longer shirt half way to the hips over it...big bust line, v-necks, stubby legs get heels and long flowing straight leg pants.

So jewelery ON clothing was sort of redundant. Like wearing a jacket with a vest over it... but then again, I have a slight neurosis when it comes to fashion and wearing things as I see pleasing, so I know people won't agree...I would wear a complex necklace with a low neckline to accentuate the neck and show it off. For me a turtle neck is usually worn fitted and most likely ribbed with classic trousers and heels. So, the simplicity I would be trying to achieve would clash with a necklace.

Mostly, I would pull that turtle neck off at night and rip that poor necklace to pieces, knowing me!
rolleyes.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
I've broken many a necklace that way....pulling off a shirt or turtleneck. The worst thing is...I can't even remember how many pieces of jewelry I've LOST over the years. Anyone else have that problem?? As the old saying go's..."if I had a dime for all the one's that have been lost......"

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I pay careful attention to not wearing too much at one. i am always afraid of looking like an Ivana Trump wannabe from 1988. Plus, i keep most in the bank vault and rotate a few pieces every other week or so.

If I wear big earrings, I go understated everywhere else. If I do petite pieces, I can wear earrings, a necklace and a ring. I just don't want to look like Liberace!

On the turtleneck debate, i rarely wear them becasuse I hate things around my neck (except diamonds, of course
3.gif
) but I love the way a black turtleneck looks on others with a bold piece of silver/ethnic stone jewelry, like Win suggested.
1.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
I am too lazy or alternatley too busy to go to the bank more than once a year for teh SDB. I used to travel too much, anyway. Now that I do not travel much anymore, my travel habits have become ingrained. I like things to be simple in my life. I wear the jewelry I have and can't stand the thought of having to switch it all the time. I wear stuff for a few years and then I change it. I get a totally different style, different stones, just anything that goes with current self. I do not prefer necklaces and bracelets and I am very picky with earrings. But rings... I would wear multiple rings on every finger (and toe) if it didn't look weird!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2004 10:52:57 PM Jennifer5973 wrote:

I pay careful attention to not wearing too much at one. i am always afraid of looking like an Ivana Trump wannabe from 1988. -

Actually, she had some great jewelry. I think the eighties pho-pa (sp?) would be immitating the gals from Dynasty. Can anyone say big shoulders.....ACK! I like turtlenecks because I'm not fond of my neckline.

Nic, most of my jewelry that is for every day is *very* moderne. Like something a beatnik would wear or someone from the 1960's turtle neck days. It kinda goes w/ the teritory.

Win, I am simpley too small to carry off a Squash Blossom necklace properly. Funny, it's the one area I don't collect. But, I have seen smaller women carry it off.

I would never think of wearing hose w/ sandles though!
9.gif

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
I don't have a lot.

Basically, I have my new wedding and e-rings, and my old set as well. Hopefully soon that diamond will be put into a pendant so that will get worn.

I have a small box of stud earrings - I wear most of those. I don't wear hoops or dangles or anything.

I have 2 bracelets - the gold one that dh gave me for my 18th birthday (when we were dating), after we had been dating for 3 weeks (I knew he was a keeper then, lol), but that no longer fits. It never fit right then - I've always been big boned even when I was skinny as a rail. I'm going to give that to my daughter since it has sentimental value. Then I have my Tiffany heart bracelet - now that's an 8 inch so I wear it almost every day!

I have two necklaces - a gold flat chain thing that I don't like and will probably eBay, and a pearl necklace that I inherited from my mother who inherited from her mother. We've all worn it in our high school portraits and I'm saving it for my daughter to do the same. So no - I don't have a necklace that I wear. I'd like one, though (see above...the diamond pendant)

I have several rings, aside from my e-ring and wedding ring and my old set - but they all need to be resized post pregnancy. I like several of them and would probably wear them if they fit. One is a gorgeous ruby and diamond ring that dh gave me for our first valentine's day when we were dating (see, I told you he was a keeper). I also have a couple of rings that I have inherited.

That's pretty much it! I'm a simple gal!

Sharon

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
................Actually, she [Ivana Trump]had some great jewelry. I think the eighties pho-pa (sp?) would be immitating the gals from Dynasty. Can anyone say big shoulders.....ACK! .............

Yes, F&I--I agree the Dynasty motif is a more accurate description of my fears! Ick!
2.gif

I hear ya about the bank...but I can walk to my local branch so it's no big deal for me to swing by on a Sat while running other errands. I't not like I have the Hope Diamond or anything but I just feel better about not keeping all of it at home.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I hear ya about the bank...but I can walk to my local branch so it's no big deal for me to swing by on a Sat while running other errands. I't not like I have the Hope Diamond or anything but I just feel better about not keeping all of it at home.
1.gif
----------------

FYI, don't know how much of your jewelry is insured - but, if you keep some of it in the vault then you pay a *very* reduced "vault rate" - pennnies on the dollar. It's not a hassle. You just have to call when you take one of your babies out.

Mare 114

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Been reading some topics - I love jewelery so it was great to find this site.
I love wearing rings. I have rings from when I was a teenager and I still like most of them. Does anyone wear multiple rings on each hand. I usually wear 2 or sometimes 3 at once. I seem to wear the same ones all the time though.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/5/2004 6:06:23 PM Mare 114 wrote:

... Does anyone wear multiple rings on each hand.

----------------

Welcome Mare!

As for many rings... how about six of them, three on each hand? It happens
11.gif
and it is a 7-fold stakable ring with small multicolor colored cabs that does this trick to my hands when work gets frustrating
cry.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've got sooo many pieces in the jewelry box, that I finally gave up and started selling them off on Ebay. I sold about 20 pieces so far, have about 20 left to go. That still leaves me with about 30 sentimental or very nice pieces that I won't be selling. I can now recycle some of the stones in the settings I am not so fond of - finding new settings from the Ebay profits. It's funny, but I sure dragged my feet selling off my e-ring diamond (due to upgrade). I finally did it last week. We were both happy & the buyer was actually purchasing it for an upgrade for his wife. Interesting how things go full circle. I do have a problem selling my gold necklaces, though. I just keep thinking I'll wear them more.
10.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, lets see...

I always wear a:

watch
silver chain link bracelet
Tiffany 'heart' bracelet on my left wrist.

I always wear a diamond and band on left hand.
Right hand varies, for example today, I'm wearing black and white, so I put on a really reddish garnet ring, bezel set, on.

I'm also wearing a flat silver disk, suspended from a velvet suede ribbon/thong, with a chain closing around my neck.

Under my clothing I wear my $1.99 heart with my daughter's name, from a silver chain, always.

Today on the left hand I'm wearing my Cartier OMC w/side bagettes and platinum engraved antique slim band.

win

Genafrgh

Rough_Rock
I probably border on tacky with all the jewelry I wear on a day to day basis. I have my ears pierced 3 times just so I can wear more! Currently, I'm wearring CZ hoops in the 1st 2 holes, and diamond studs in the 3rd.
I love summertime in new england because it means that I can wear my ankle bracelets & toe rings (they don't get much use with our 9 months of winter...).
I recently found a diamond encrusted watch by gucci that I adore, but can't fathom paying as much for a dainty watch as my monthly mortgage, so I'm in search of a swarovski crystal version.
My fiances aunt fuels my obsession by bringing me a piece of jewelry every time I see her. She spoils me rotton because she doesn't have any children, and I think she sees me as the daughter she never had. My bracelet collection has grown quite substantially due to this, and I wear practically every single one at once.
I always wear a necklace, even with turtle necks, I just make sure the chain is longer so that it rests around the extra material and doesn't look weird.
I would love to adorn every one of my fingers with rings, but I know that's too much, so I settle for just my e-ring, a right hand ring, and I'm in search of a pinkie ring for my freakishly small finger (size 2.5!)
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results