shape
carat
color
clarity

Were you an active ebayer before?

What's your ebay history before gem hunting?

• I was a frequent ebayer and knew my way around ebay pretty well.

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • I had an account for ages, but just started recently using it once I saw the treasures to be found!

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I got an ebay account because I wanted in the ebay deals too!

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Ebay? No way, staying away from that scary place....

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm curious as to whether you were an active ebayer before you became a treasure hunter on ebay (as lots of PSers seem to be these days). Did you have an account before? Did you get one just to buy gems? What made you decide you felt brave enough to search for bling on ebay?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had an account for well over a decade. I first signed on to ebay because I wanted a hard to find Eddie Izzard VHS tape. :cheeky:

My second purchase was 5 years later for something from sharper image. I believe it was an ultrasonic. Since then, my ebay purchases have been jewelry related, but not frequent. A David Yurman Ring, Beaudry ring, and a dbty necklace before my current antique brooch.

Even though I bought jewelry before, it's definitely the lovely antique stuff I've been seeing which made me hunt more, so I can blame PS for that one. But I also only looked because I had a project in mind and I anticipate my ebaying to go down after it's all done, unless it's to look for stuff for other people.

Ebaying has been good for me so far, so much so that I'm hard pressed to pay retail. Of course, there are PS vendors I love and I like to spread the wealth. But when the bargains (if you're patient) can be so good on ebay...well, it really is hard to fork out more than you "have" to.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've also been on eBay for forever...I was in high school when I won my first auction, and I still remember it. :cheeky: So it's been about 13-14 years! :-o I'm old!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been on there for years, too. Most of my purchases have been jewelry related and some educational materials in the past. I have gotten a few great things on ebay!!!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love ebay and have been buying/ selling for long before I found ps, I have only had one bad transaction and that was early on. I also have a hard time paying full price for anything so if I hear about a book or movie or anything like that I always check ebay for it first. I have bought my share of jewelery but have not bought colored stones just because I do not know enough about them to buy from a unknown.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been buying and selling on eBay for years but have only had about five jewelry transactions among the 430+ feedback that I have.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I was even aware that Pricescopers had become eBay treasure hunters recently. I, also, have been on eBay for well over ten years. I have always made small gem purchases (like a rhodolite garnet or a fire opal for $15.00 or so) and I used to buy high karat gold from vendors there before there were many who sold high karat gold. (I recall when one of the current huge gold jewelry vendors first came onto eBay and couldn't quite get into the groove! Now they have become a giant!)

My first reason for being on eBay was to buy and sell Vera Bradley clothing and bags. I was also very active in the eBay Auction for America following the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. eBay allowed people to donate items whose sale would help victims and survivors off the 9/11 attacks. Whatever price was paid for the goods went to the funds; eBay took no cut. So the vendor donated the goods and the buyer paid the price which went to the charity. I spent huge amounts of money buying little patriotic items like red, white, and blue American flag socks and I also sold items like tiny jeweled American flag pins which I wrapped up in red, white, and blue tissue paper with blue ribbon bfore I sent them out to my auction winners! People were spending large amounts of money on these little pins so that they could contribute to the charities helping the 9/11 victims. I wanted them to get lovely little packages in return.

It was a good time to be on eBay!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I started on ebay in April 1999 to sell a coin collection that I inherited. Those were the days of "real auctions" and great prices. I remember staying up all night going after a special piece of jewelry.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had an account for several years but really did not look much until I came to PriceScope. I don't buy but look a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was an occassional ebayer. I had a 100% feedback and 50 transactions. I occasionally sold things too. But I'm much more active now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy, but have never sold a single thing on ebay. I tend to sell on craigslist as it's baby crap. :))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay, actually-mostly bags and shoes, but I did sell a bike once. I went through quite the vintage Coach and Gucci bag phase, but was able to resell most of them for at least what I got them for, so it worked out. :cheeky: I've actually sold a ton of shoes, too.

The last few times I sold things it was such a PITA that I doubt I'll sell anything on eBay again. One woman won a pair of shoes then said I lied in the description (I didn't) and PayPal ruled in her favor, so she was supposed to send the shoes back to me. Instead she sent me a pair of Wal-Mart sandals and I ended up having to send PayPal a notarized affidavit to get my money back. Luckily I played soccer with a woman who works as a paralegal and she's a notary, so it was free, but still!

Then I sold a fairly expensive pair of boots and PayPal decided to hold my money for months in the event that the buyer wasn't happy with the purchase or I didn't ship it, even though I have a ton of feedback, all of it positive. :confused: It took hours of using my patented firm, mean but not yelling skills to get my damn $ released.

So yeah, I'll stick to buying only, because eBay BLOWS for selling.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1334988785|3177002 said:
I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay, actually-mostly bags and shoes, but I did sell a bike once. I went through quite the vintage Coach and Gucci bag phase, but was able to resell most of them for at least what I got them for, so it worked out. :cheeky: I've actually sold a ton of shoes, too.

The last few times I sold things it was such a PITA that I doubt I'll sell anything on eBay again. One woman won a pair of shoes then said I lied in the description (I didn't) and PayPal ruled in her favor, so she was supposed to send the shoes back to me. Instead she sent me a pair of Wal-Mart sandals and I ended up having to send PayPal a notarized affidavit to get my money back. Luckily I played soccer with a woman who works as a paralegal and she's a notary, so it was free, but still!

Then I sold a fairly expensive pair of boots and PayPal decided to hold my money for months in the event that the buyer wasn't happy with the purchase or I didn't ship it, even though I have a ton of feedback, all of it positive. :confused: It took hours of using my patented firm, mean but not yelling skills to get my damn $ released.

So yeah, I'll stick to buying only, because eBay BLOWS for selling.

T2, that is so good to know! And there are fees, right?

Yeah, ebay seems very scary for selling. I think I will stick with craigslist for selling my kids old crap!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've been buying stuff on ebay for about 10 years, maybe longer. All kinds of stuff, not jewellery. I use it less now that our area has a really active freecycle network. People around here give away a lot of nice things!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
!

We (well, my dh to be exact) have been on ebay since 1999 and even sold a car (miata) on ebay LOL!
My dh is the main ebayer in our family but I occasionally buy stuff too. These days I mainly peruse jewelry there but have not bought much there because I like buying from people I really know (either personally or through recs at PS) but I am always in search of a good deal there just in case!

My dh is always buying something on ebay at least once a week. Mainly little stuff we need for around the house etc but sometimes watches/watch straps since he is a watch nut.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been buying on Ebay for years, I have never sold on there...I am tempted to I have jewelry I want to see and its not expensive jewelry so I dont think DB is the place to sell it...I think the first thing I bought on Ebay was a Xbox 360 video game it was a "new but discontinued" game that my son wanted and I couldnt find it anywhere but Ebay :wink2: I routinely buy concert tickets on there, they cost more but you get the really good seats on there and Stubhub!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been eBaying for about 5 years. Mostly kids designer clothes and a couple of pieces of jewelry.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1334988785|3177002 said:

g.

I just won a coach purse on eBay. Gotta a really good deal. Hopefully it's authentic... The seller put the serial number in the auction. Should arrive within the next few days and maybe the coach store can verify it?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love eBay for its buyer protection. I purchased an old Dior bag that I fell in love with in HS (the pink Boston Girly) yet obviously, couldn't afford as a HS student. I found it on eBay years later, and got it at a fraction of the price. I even found a matching swimsuit! I hate paying full price for designer items, and always buy 2nd hand.

I recently also purchased a pair of vintage tiny OMB stock pins that I plan to turn into earrings.

Because of the influx of PS jewelry hunters, maybe we should have a forum where people can connect and say, "hey, I'm also bidding on this item" or something? It'd suck to be able to post on SMTB, and find out that the person you were competing with, that drove the price up another few thousand, is a friend..

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've had an account for around 12 years and shop more on eBay than I do in B&M shops.

If I'm out and want to buy something I will almost always check the eBay price on my iPhone then and there - drives my mother crazy!

It's not as good value as it once was - I doubt that you can buy genuine Mikimoto necklaces for under £100 anymore, yet I snagged two in as many months 4-5 years ago.

I do invest significant amounts of time in bargain hunting though - at least 10 hours + a week but I really enjoy it.

Tools like Toolhaus, bidnapper, setting up alerts and last second bidding only are all things I rely on.

Occasionally I sell things but I'm mainly a buyer.

In 12 years I have had 4 items with issues - 3 were refunded with no problems, one ended up in a major dispute and I lost out. I was very silly to have taken a chance with a seller with zero feedback... when I left my negative feedback he closed that account and opened yet another a few days later. A few bad apples, but the vast majority of vendors are lovely.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have under 10 ebay transactions I think .... a vintage donut store window/sign ... some vintage glasses ... a couple things for my wedding ... and I was going to say that I've never bought any jewelry on ebay -- but we have bought two watches! So I guess that *kinda* counts as jewelry.

I really, really wanted that Lucida bezel pendant on Ebay a few years back -- but it went for way over my budget. But I only have one true Ebay regret ... a double bubble PAM clock for the brand "Cheer Up" soda. It went for over 1K to an architecture firm but had I known I'd never find another -- I mighta done it.

Am just not an active participant in this recent wave of antique stone hunter I guess. LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing everyone else's finds though!

ETA: Couldn't vote because I don't fit in any of the categories? Been a user since late 90s -- but very rarely & not increased lately.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I was an Ebayer starting around 2000. I bought a chandelier that I didn't like, and that left me feeling sour. I have less than 10 transactions. I won't buy anything over $100 anymore.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only started buying on ebay when I started buying OECs. That's all I buy there. I am not a big shopper/buyer in general. So ebay is only for targetted purchases.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I buy and sell on ebay. I have over 200 (100%) positives. I've shipped all over the world, I've shipped delicate stuff, I've handled returns (first buyer didn't like the purse, second buyer loved it) and I've had some fun doing it. I tend to go through selling phases, where I'll sell a bunch of stuff (it takes energy to take the pictures, find boxes, write listings, etc.,) then I won't sell anything for a year or so. I've sold antique dolls, very expen$ive teddy bears, French pottery, rare books, printing supplies for obscure and specialized printers, designer purses, and antique toys. That should give you an idea of what kind of STUFF I have in my house. As in LOTS of stuff! :naughty:

I've shipped all over the world, which, to me, is the most nerve-wracking part. I put a much loved, highly anticipated bisque doll into the packing box, and send it away to Norway, fingers crossed. I wrap like a crazy person with a bubble addiction. I've never sold jewelry, but I might some day.

I find it's actually harder to buy, these days. There's just SO much for sale, that it's hard for me to separate the wheat from the chaff. But I do enjoy getting the obscure thing that the seller can't quite identify; once I bought a signed Japanese inro, shaped like a cicada, that the seller listed as a "bug box". It's spectacular, with mother of pearl inlay and fabulous carving. It was $24, I was the only bidder.

That's what keeps me roaming around on ebay. :bigsmile:

BTW: If you're buying diamonds, how do you know they're real?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results