shape
carat
color
clarity

Wear your ering to the beach?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Now here''''s a dumb question!

Do you and should you wear your solitaire to the beach? I mean, can the sand do any damage to it?

Also, I have a channel set Lucida band..It''''s probably bad if sand gets in there.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
there''s a reason why hobbyists walk the beaches with metal detectors. i wouldn''t.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would damage it and be a needless worry. Better to leave it at home in a safe place. No need to have created a problem...

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
It''s probably smarter to leave your fine jewelry at home when going to the beach. All the suntan lotion, sand, and sea water can''t be good for your ring. You''ll also enjoy the beach more if you''re not worrying about your jewelry
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wear it!! Why wouldn't you wear it to the beach? Do you really think sand or lotion is going to hurt it? As for it falling off or something, if it fits right then that wouldn't be a problem. Do you not wear it out on a hot day because of the fear sweat might get into it? It's kind of the same idea.

Assuming you clean it when you get home...which you should be doing anyway, wear it. I would hate to think that people feel they have to leave their jewelry at home just because they are out experiencing life.

ETA this is assuming it's insured!! If not then I probably wouldn't wear it unless it isn't a big deal to replace it if damaged or lost.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If it is NOT INSURED..... I''d advise against it.

If it is an expensive ring, I''d also advise against it.

If you are going to go from the beach to a pool or hot tub where it will be in chlorine, that is a definate No NO.

Sand won''t hurt diamonds, but other colored stones could suffer from it. Stones that were treated, dyed of soft could have some negative outcome from sand, salt water etc.

Depends on how much of a RISK you want to take.

Rockdoc

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 4:01:21 PM
Author: RockDoc
If it is NOT INSURED..... I'd advise against it.

If it is an expensive ring, I'd also advise against it.

If you are going to go from the beach to a pool or hot tub where it will be in chlorine, that is a definate No NO.

Sand won't hurt diamonds, but other colored stones could suffer from it. Stones that were treated, dyed of soft could have some negative outcome from sand, salt water etc.

Rockdoc
Get it insured and WEAR IT.
2.gif

Then again I always wear my rings even for gardening and similar dirty exercises and in the pool...so the beach and sand wouldn't be anything different...hehee. I figure if you can't wear it then what's the point of having it?!?!?! It has no fun in the jewelry box.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 4:01:21 PM
Author: RockDoc
If it is NOT INSURED..... I''d advise against it.

If it is an expensive ring, I''d also advise against it.

Sand won''t hurt diamonds, but other colored stones could suffer from it. Stones that were treated, dyed of soft could have some negative outcome from sand, salt water etc.

Rockdoc
RockDoc

Could you please explain the "Chlorine" reaction?? To be honest I have worn my insured Original Platinum Diamond & wedding band for years in a Pool & I have never had any negative reaction to the metal or diamond. Now I don''t wear my gemstones or gold jewelry in a pool but the wedding set never comes off except for a professional cleaning. Just interested if your statement was a generalization.

Tracey

I''m with Mara on this one. If it''s insured wear it proudly!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that wearing jewelry on vacation is one place I enjoy it most! However, I have read on here several times that chlorine is bad for jewelry, so I won't be wearing it to the pool.

ETA: I don't care about literally wearing jewelry ON the beach either. But we go shopoing and out to eat, so I certainly want to have my jewelry with me.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''d hesitate to wear it to the beach, but not necessarily rule it out totally. Mainly for the danger of losing it in the sand, but also for the risk of abrasion. Of course, if you aren''t really digging around in the sand, it''s probably not a big deal. I got a care guide with my ring with some specific warnings for gold rings at the beach or gardening, in particular. It mentions that sand and dirt particles have a hardness of 7, as opposed to gold, which is 2.5. Essentially, if you are rubbing a lot of sand against your ring (e.g. building a sand castle with the kids) it''s the equivalent of using coarse sandpaper on it. Platinum is somewhat more resistant, but obviously not totally impervious.

It also explains that although gold is resistant to chlorine, it can attack the alloys that are used to create 14K, 18K etc. causing pitting and discoloration. So that is why they specifically warn against wearing gold in the pool. Platinum is also alloyed, but I''m not sure if iridium or other alloys also react with chlorine. If it does, the warning is still applicable.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my platinum and diamond ring everywhere: the pool, the hot tub, the beach, etc. Never take it off except to clean it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would the alloys mixed with sterling silver be affected by chlorine too?

Years ago I wore a silver pendant made by a local silversmith and used to do a lot of swimming. I remember thinking back then, I was about 14 at the time, that the identical ones in the silversmith's window looked smoother than mine and wondered what had happened to it as I was sure it used to look like them.
Now, years later I think it may have been the chlorine in the pool. I still have that pendant - will have to look it out someday.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t wear a diamond ring to the beach because I wouldn''t want to get sunscreen or other goop on it. Dirty diamonds annoy me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to not travel with my rings and stuff. My dh thought it was inviting trouble and so I wore a small eternity band. Of course all my stuff is insured but I have a friend who was mugged at gunpoint in LA in the middle of the day for her ring, which was really scary. The guy told her had been following her...sometimes there is just no need, insured or not, to wear your ring to places where it might not be safe. I do wear and enjoy my stuff for sure, but one should not be silly either. As for the beach, with lotion on and going in the water etc I just do not see the point, and you could loose it or scratch it so why bother?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe, i guess if you have a 9c yeah then maybe you'd worry.
2.gif
but i feel okay with my ring at the beach.
31.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I would! I wear my E-ring all the time - shower, swim, etc. Ok, well maybe not when doing dishes or working out. Good thing I don''t do either of those very often.
2.gif

But I do need to get my rings insured.
5.gif
We have a safe deposit box now but we can''t really afford to replace either (I''m an eBay/deal whore) so I know it''s something we need to do.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Wearing rings on the beach??? Well, that would firstly involve wearing a bathing suit - something I haven''t done in a very long time nor will do. I know lots of women have body issues and I''m one of them - I ain''t showing off my bod in nothing but tight lycra!!
32.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarita, my friend lost a stone out of her band ring that is a shared prong...jeweler asked her if she wore it to wrok out, and she did...he told her not to, it can damage prongs if you bang the rings against the weights...just FYI...

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
It''s funny; I never thought about any of this until I got engaged, because my Mom''s ring has been "glued" to her finger for the last 47 years. I don''t recall her ever taking it off for anything, including chlorine pools or the ocean. Or making meatloaf, etc. etc. etc.. - not even for cleaning it for that matter!!
3.gif
(After I got engaged I cleaned it for her.)

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I am of the Mara camp on this one - I wear mine everywhere regardless. I''m *much* more likely to lose it because I took it off and left it somewhere I dont'' remember than to lose it on the beach...

wonderfultimes

Rough_Rock
i would wear it. definitely. I get a naked feeling without my ring.
2.gif
but hey, that''s me. Do what you are comfortable with.

darling

Shiny_Rock
I have secretly wondered about this too. I am going on a week long vacation to the beach, kids and all. We will also be with a large group of other families and there are many activities planned (dinner cruises, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc). I always bring lots of jewelry on vacation to wear with my cute summer clothes. Is "the ring" safer on my finger on the beach (assuming I won''t be building sandcastles) or in the hotel safe?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 8:21:55 PM
Author: darling
I have secretly wondered about this too. I am going on a week long vacation to the beach, kids and all. We will also be with a large group of other families and there are many activities planned (dinner cruises, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc). I always bring lots of jewelry on vacation to wear with my cute summer clothes. Is ''the ring'' safer on my finger on the beach (assuming I won''t be building sandcastles) or in the hotel safe?

do you mean a safe in your room or the front desk safe which is more like a safety deposit box? I have taken many things on trips and we use the ones in the room, no issues so far, but you must make sure that you close it when you leave the room! (duh, but once we did not and luckily things were all there but still...)

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
When we go south I always leave my rings in the hotel room safe. I would rather have them close to me than worry about them being left at home. Plus, I love wearing them for dinner and for the evening with my new tan.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The only "jewelry" I wear to the beach is a water resistant watch. I also remove my rings and other jewelry when I work out, play sports, hike, garden, clean, shower, sleep or do anything rough or messy. Part of it is to protect the jewelry, but it is also a matter of comfort for me. I just don''t feel the need to wear my rings (or any jewelry) all the time, and fortunately my husband feels the same way so there are no arguments about "why aren''t you wearing your ring?" For me, jewelry it about appearances (i.e., wanting to look nice), and for some activities, I am more concerned about comfort and practicality than appearances. Don''t get me wrong, I love to wear my rings and other jewelry to work and when I go out, but I just don''t feel the need to have it on 24 hours a day.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''m already prepared for our beach honeymoon! i bought a simple WG knife edge w-band. i plan to wear this only and keep my diamonds at home. yes they are insured, but i don''t feel the need to worry about them on our honeymoon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results