shape
carat
color
clarity

We put the dog down

lulu

Ideal_Rock
On Friday we put down our big lovable black lab, Louie, age 11. He had been receiving chemo for a mast cell tumor for 14 months and the side effects were getting the better of him. It was a big argument with DH who would have waited until the boy couldn't stand up, but I couldn't do that to him.

Got him as a pup and he was my buddy. I miss him so much. When will it get better?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry Lulu.
Our dogs love us so much it feels like they are human.

I think the only thing that lessens the pain is time.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulu,

I'm sorry for your loss. Animals hold a very special place in our family and I know how it hurts to lose one of your furry family members. Big hugs to you and your husband!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TooPatient. He was my gardening buddy. He'd throw his tennis ball in my weed trug and give me a sidelong glance like "what are you gonna do about it?" Then he'd steal one of my hand tools and run me around the yard. Once I caught him running around outside with my bra in his mouth like a flag. What a goofus.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I'm s sorry.

I remember when Oscar had a stroke in my closet. I called the husband and told him he had to come home IMMEDIATELY because Oscar was beyond help. I still havent' been able to thinko f getting a new cat.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for your loss, Amber. I won't say never about another dog, especially since I volunteer at a shelter, but it's going to take time.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, sorry about your loss.

I have a cat and a dog myself, my children substitutes, and I would hate to lose them.

I get upset just thinking about losing them to old age or illnesses. The best I can do is to make sure they do not suffer unnecessarily, and in that respect, we treat our pets better than people, IMHO.

Your dog is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge, free of pain and suffering, waiting for his loving family to join him one day. R.I.P.

DK :((

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks,dk, I really believe we'll see each other again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu, I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you. I know how bad the pain of losing a beloved pet is and time does dull the pain. I don't know who said this but it is so true- until one has loved an animal part of one's soul remains unawaken.
He lives on in your heart and memories and he is in a better place now free of pain. You made the difficult decision and did the right thing lulu (((hugs))).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry lulu :blackeye: We had to put down our yellow lab a few years ago - spleen cancer - just couldn't bear to see him suffer any longer. You did the right thing - and time does help. Big hugs to you, this is such a hard thing to go through.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Missy and Junebug. I don't remember this much pain last time we lost a pet. But I don't think I was ever closer to an animal.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this helps, however, have a look at this scene towards the end of Lethal Weapon 4, when Riggs is visiting his late wife's grave, and Leo talks to him about his pet frog called Froggy. It always bring a lump to my throat, as it applies to pets as well as loved ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n299dOhQNic

DK

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am so, so sorry. Thinking of you xxxx

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So very sorry for your loss Lulu. I think the pain of your loss will be around for a long time... BUT knowing that you spared him from pain and let him go was the bravest thing, and most humane thing you could have done..

I hope you and your husband find peace .... I think often guys just can't do the right thing, where many women get it.... Don't flag me.. But we just know... and understand...

Hugs to you and very sorry for your loss..... :halo: :halo: :halo:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. Animals are truly angels we have on borrowed time, aren't they.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww lulu, I'm so very sorry. Remember that you loved him enough to do what was right for him, even if it broke your heart. I agree with Kenny....time will lessen the pain and your memories of him will bring smiles to your face.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Smith, Kaleigh and Em. DH and I are okay now-he's acknowledged it was the right thing to do. I knew it was the last gift we could give him.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Yenny. I'm trying to focus on the good memories. I know it will get easier with time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu, it wouldn't hurt so much if you hadn't loved and been loved so much.
no one can take that from you.
you were fortunate to share a path so very long and he will always be special in your heart.
time will form a scab.
you will love another dog because you loved this one so much.
that dog will be different with its own personality.
you will love that dog, too.
perhaps differently and when that dog's time comes it will hurt again.
but you know what?
you will have loved again.
you will have shared your life again.
you will have opened your home and allowed another dog to have a good life.
the cycle of living and loving is never complete.......unless you decide to not open your heart again.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks, packrat. I keep hearing him around the house.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could give you a enormous hug at this moment, Lulu. I know how hard this is, having lost my 12-year old sheltie to liver cancer in March. We had to bring him in to let him go, and I felt just as you did - I owed it to him to do right by him and not let him suffer needlessly when it became clear he getting uncomfortable.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do; I've had other dogs, but this was my heart dog, and I still miss him so incredibly much.

My thoughts are with you.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Oh lulu, I am so very sorry. The pain of loving a furbaby is so raw. Time will ease it, but you will never forget that goofy boy, and your memories will hopefully bring you a lifetime of happiness. You'll be in my thoughts.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, alj. I love that expression. Lou was my heart dog.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks,justginger, it is still raw. I get through the days okay but evenings are hard.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry, Lulu. The pain becomes duller over time, but it never goes away. Lots of hugs to you and your family.

I love that he ran around with your bra one day, that makes me laugh even though I have tears in my eyes reading this thread. :(sad

Thank you for volunteering at your shelter. Good souls like you have my utmost respect and admiration for helping all creatures who are homeless.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Monarch, he was a huge goofball, like all labbies.. He loved snow and one day he was so excited he knocked me down in a big drift and stole my hat. When I tried to get it he got my scarf too. He made us laugh a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results