shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Embarrasses Himself and Our Country

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Op-ed column was published in today's edition of "The New York Times".

"Early signs of what the Trump administration may look like: A man associated with white supremacy and misogyny will be White House chief strategist; a man rejected for a judgeship because of alleged racism will be attorney general; and an Islamophobe who has taken money from Moscow will be national security adviser.

No, this is not satire.

I’ve repeatedly noted that my side lost this election, that elections have consequences, and that President-Elect Donald Trump should be given a chance. He seems intent on blowing that chance."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/so-many-options-yet-donald-trump-picks-the-ugly.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

The rest of you can say what you want to each other, but I'm giving money to the ACLU today.

AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the election, I've gone from an annual donation to monthly donations. Same with Southern Poverty Law Center and Planned Parenthood.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1479699106|4100950 said:
Since the election, I've gone from an annual donation to monthly donations. Same with Southern Poverty Law Center and Planned Parenthood.

I hear you. I pretty much only give to left wing organizations and to food banks now (unless a neighborhood child is selling Girl Scout cookies). My Amazon.com purchases, which are sizeable, cause a portion to be donated to The Southern Poverty Law Center. I didn't realize my donation would make me an ACLU member, but now I am one. ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1479700355|4100952 said:
Matata|1479699106|4100950 said:

I hear you. I pretty much only give to left wing organizations and to food banks now (unless a neighborhood child is selling Girl Scout cookies). My Amazon.com purchases, which are sizeable, cause a portion to be donated to The Southern Poverty Law Center. I didn't realize my donation would make me an ACLU member, but now I am one. ;))
You'll be getting updates on what they're doing as well as the opportunity to sign petitions they're writing against some of the things Trump is attempting to do.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here think he will see even one of those cards?

That there is not a secretary or staff member who is just throwing them in the trash.

What a colossal waste of resources from the trees all the way to the landfills.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you know that women have been calling Pence's office to tell him about their menstrual flow?
This is why:

"In the early days of the Periods for Pence effort, the organizer highlighted one aspect of the law — it requires miscarried fetuses, as well as aborted fetuses, to be "interred or cremated by a facility having possession of the remains," regardless of the age of the fetus."

As someone who has had multiple miscarriages, this enrages me. It was all traumatic enough as it was, especially the late miscarriage I had at home, but having to report it to the authorities and prove it wasn't an abortion and then plan and pay for a funeral, are you fricking joking? Who would be paying my inpatient mental health bills, because I think that would have sent me over the edge.

NPR article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473518239/periods-as-protest-indiana-women-call-governor-to-talk-about-menstrual-cycles

If I had any extra cash right now, you know, if the military was actually paying us our full pay instead of sitting on it and not paying us for months on end, I would send it to these worthy causes, but as it is I'm a bit strapped. I'm grateful that so many generous people have stepped forward to support these causes. Even if Pence's secretary just throws away the cards.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479702557|4100964 said:

That there is not a secretary or staff member who is just throwing them in the trash.

I don't know. It means Planned Parenthood gets some extra funding, and I'm sure he gets briefed on what's happening. It's also generating news, which also gives women a voice about what's important to them. The sad thing to me is that all these laws selectively target disadvantaged women who can't afford access to health care, or the extra visits, travel, etc. I don't get the point of the policies they keep trying to put out. They want to defund access to sex-ed and reliable birth control (which would drastically reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies), but at the same time they don't want women terminating unwanted pregnancies. It gets talked about like it's a moral issue (the sex-ed and the birth control, not the terminations), and yet they seem to forget that even the most traditional and nuclear of families still have sex. And might not be able to afford 15 children. As a non-American it all seems like very strange and misguided public policy designed to create what they say they don't want. So I can see why women would organize peaceful protests like this.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope, I don't for one moment think that Pence will receive any of these, and I'm sure the other 46,000 (and counting) people who have done this think it either.

It's called making a statement. And as cmd pointed out, it's certainly also making news.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1479731935|4101030 said:

I don't know. It means Planned Parenthood gets some extra funding, and I'm sure he gets briefed on what's happening. It's also generating news, which also gives women a voice about what's important to them. The sad thing to me is that all these laws selectively target disadvantaged women who can't afford access to health care, or the extra visits, travel, etc. I don't get the point of the policies they keep trying to put out. They want to defund access to sex-ed and reliable birth control (which would drastically reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies), but at the same time they don't want women terminating unwanted pregnancies. It gets talked about like it's a moral issue (the sex-ed and the birth control, not the terminations), and yet they seem to forget that even the most traditional and nuclear of families still have sex. And might not be able to afford 15 children. As a non-American it all seems like very strange and misguided public policy designed to create what they say they don't want. So I can see why women would organize peaceful protests like this.

You're forgetting that women who have sex must be punished by having children. The punishment works even better if they can't afford them. Just wait until they also try to make it so men who didn't intend to have children don't have to pay child support - all of the worry-free sex for them and ALSO all of the punishment for women!

It's not about reducing unwanted pregnancies. It's about thinking women having sex for anything but procreative purposes is bad, and so women should only be able to have sex if it is coupled with procreation.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
BeekeeperBetty|1479714741|4100977 said:
Did you know that women have been calling Pence's office to tell him about their menstrual flow?
This is why:

"In the early days of the Periods for Pence effort, the organizer highlighted one aspect of the law — it requires miscarried fetuses, as well as aborted fetuses, to be "interred or cremated by a facility having possession of the remains," regardless of the age of the fetus."

As someone who has had multiple miscarriages, this enrages me. It was all traumatic enough as it was, especially the late miscarriage I had at home, but having to report it to the authorities and prove it wasn't an abortion and then plan and pay for a funeral, are you fricking joking? Who would be paying my inpatient mental health bills, because I think that would have sent me over the edge.

NPR article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473518239/periods-as-protest-indiana-women-call-governor-to-talk-about-menstrual-cycles

If I had any extra cash right now, you know, if the military was actually paying us our full pay instead of sitting on it and not paying us for months on end, I would send it to these worthy causes, but as it is I'm a bit strapped. I'm grateful that so many generous people have stepped forward to support these causes. Even if Pence's secretary just throws away the cards.

I had 6 miscarriages. On my record from RI Medical Imaging I am referred to as an "habitual aborter."

All of mine were at home as well. One was late term, and we did have a ceremony where she was named and buried. Actually it was a comfort to me.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
You're forgetting that women who have sex must be punished by having children. The punishment works even better if they can't afford them. Just wait until they also try to make it so men who didn't intend to have children don't have to pay child support - all of the worry-free sex for them and ALSO all of the punishment for women!

It's not about reducing unwanted pregnancies. It's about thinking women having sex for anything but procreative purposes is bad, and so women should only be able to have sex if it is coupled with procreation.

Let me ask this.

First off, I am not Catholic.

Second, I believe a woman's body is her own, just like what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors is none of my business.

And I understand that sh*t happens. My SIL gave birth to two children. One with Down's and the other with only a brain stem. I cannot remember the terminology.

Abortion was not an option because it was way too late in the pregnancies.

The Down's child is doing OK. The one born without a brain died two years after birth. It destroyed their marriage.

So I understand and appreciate the importance of abortion - for rape, when the child will be severely deformed, and for those oops moments when it happens but it is not an affordable option or the parents are just not in a position to care for it.

But should abortion be another form of birth control used by those who refuse to take other precautions?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479750241|4101123 said:

Let me ask this.

First off, I am not Catholic.

Second, I believe a woman's body is her own, just like what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors is none of my business.

And I understand that sh*t happens. My SIL gave birth to two children. One with Down's and the other with only a brain stem. I cannot remember the terminology.

Abortion was not an option because it was way too late in the pregnancies.

The Down's child is doing OK. The one born without a brain died two years after birth. It destroyed their marriage.

So I understand and appreciate the importance of abortion - for rape, when the child will be severely deformed, and for those oops moments when it happens but it is not an affordable option or the parents are just not in a position to care for it.

But should abortion be another form of birth control used by those who refuse to take other precautions?

The same people trying to prevent abortion ALSO try to prevent women from learning about or accessing other precautions. That is what I was talking about. I'm not getting into a fight about abortion. But the people who want to ban abortion also often want to ban hormonal birth control and sex-ed classes in schools. They made it legal for pharmacists to be able to refuse to dispense birth control to people if it goes against their religious beliefs. People are going to have sex - we're biologically predisposed to it - we'd have died out if it wasn't a terribly strong urge. The ONLY way to prevent abortions is to have common knowledge about and access to a variety of contraceptives.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The same people trying to prevent abortion ALSO try to prevent women from learning about or accessing other precautions. That is what I was talking about. I'm not getting into a fight about abortion. But the people who want to ban abortion also often want to ban hormonal birth control and sex-ed classes in schools. They made it legal for pharmacists to be able to refuse to dispense birth control to people if it goes against their religious beliefs. People are going to have sex - we're biologically predisposed to it - we'd have died out if it wasn't a terribly strong urge. The ONLY way to prevent abortions is to have common knowledge about and access to a variety of contraceptives.

And this is why I am a registered Democrat. I am a lot more moderate then some here, but do not agree with many of the Republican beliefs either.

One of my girls has a mild case of PCOS. She takes Ocella because without it she would not get her menstrual cycles.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm going to guess (I have no stats to back this up) that's it's very very rare to use abortion as a means of birth control. Abortion is expensive*, time consuming, painful, invasive and not without risk. Some people f-up, don't take precautions and get pregnant or get someone else pregnant. It happens and I firmly believe they should be able to do something about it even if they didn't even attempt to use another method of birth control when it happened. But it's got to incredibly rare for someone to refuse to take other precautions and rely on abortion as a predominant means of birth control.

*list of costs for one clinic in the state I went to college in www.atlantasurgicenter.com/fees.html That's not cheap!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1479752801|4101141 said:

I'm going to guess (I have no stats to back this up) that's it's very very rare to use abortion as a means of birth control. Abortion is expensive*, time consuming, painful, invasive and not without risk. Some people f-up, don't take precautions and get pregnant or get someone else pregnant. It happens and I firmly believe they should be able to do something about it even if they didn't even attempt to use another method of birth control when it happened. But it's got to incredibly rare for someone to refuse to take other precautions and rely on abortion as a predominant means of birth control.

*list of costs for one clinic in the state I went to college in www.atlantasurgicenter.com/fees.html That's not cheap!

But what about those women who have had multiple abortions?

And some states do cover it?

Should there be a time when someone steps in and says something is not working here?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479753677|4101147 said:

Should there be a time when someone steps in and says something is not working here?

Trump thinks so. And he won.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1479753772|4101150 said:
ruby59|1479753677|4101147 said:

Trump thinks so. And he won.

Well then if Trump won, it must be a valid concern for many Americans.

And even for those like me who are not basing it on religious beliefs either.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Abortion rates have been declining over the past couple decades. We are at one of the lowest rates since, 1973? We should celebrate this. Decreased abortion rates are related to education, and sex education, and access to alternative forms of contraceptives. So if one wants to reduce the # of abortions, please support good public education, sex education, and contraception being covered under health care. It's not the whole story. There are cultural mores, and there are family/personal mores. I would hope anyone who has children would raise them to understand what expectations they have regarding sex. This includes for male children.

Perhaps there is a small percentage out there who use it as a form of contraception, but I would not be surprised if there were other factors at work (lack of understanding, drug use, domestic abuse). For those people having "too many" what are people suggesting, that they be forced carry to term? they are jailed? They are permanently sterilized? Just as it is not against the law to have x number of children, as far as I understand it is not against the law to have x number of abortions. It would seem the process itself and the stigma would be unpleasant enough to be self-limiting, and anyone who has an abortion is counseled about future contraception. But it is people's free will to ignore medical advice, whether it is regarding abortion or anything else.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps there is a small percentage out there who use it as a form of contraception, but I would not be surprised if there were other factors at work (lack of understanding, drug use, domestic abuse). For those people having "too many" what are people suggesting, that they be forced carry to term? they are jailed? They are permanently sterilized? Just as it is not against the law to have x number of children, as far as I understand it is not against the law to have x number of abortions. It would seem the process itself and the stigma would be unpleasant enough to be self-limiting, and anyone who has an abortion is counseled about future contraception. But it is people's free will to ignore medical advice, whether it is regarding abortion or anything else.

No but a conversation needs to be initiated as to why?

And for those that want to ignore advice, why should others have to fund it.

There are only a limited amount of resources out there and they need to be used wisely.

We have a similar situation in our home state regarding Narcan.

It is a wonderful tool for those overdosing.

But what about those where medical services have to come out many times a week?

We have only so many rescue trucks in my home state and the different cities try to cover for each other as best as possible

But for those who do not give a damn, what about the family whose bread winner is having a heart attack. Their beloved mother, a stroke. A baby just went into aneflaxic shock.

And the nearest ambulance is somewhere else for the upteenth time dealing with someone who is free to ignore medical advice.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479757748|4101170 said:

No but a conversation needs to be initiated as to why?

And for those that want to ignore advice, why should others have to fund it.

There are only a limited amount of resources out there and they need to be used wisely.

We have a similar situation in our home state regarding Narcan.

It is a wonderful tool for those overdosing.

But what about those where medical services have to come out many times a week?

We have only so many rescue trucks in my home state and the different cities try to cover for each other as best as possible

But for those who do not give a damn, what about the family whose bread winner is having a heart attack. Their beloved mother, a stroke. A baby just went into aneflaxic shock.

And the nearest ambulance is somewhere else for the upteenth time dealing with someone who is free to ignore medical advice.
Ruby,

Addiction to opiates is a very powerful disease. It is not a choice. When they are overdosing their lives are in danger just like a person having a heart attack. it isn't up to YOU to decide whose life is more valuable, even though you have here...on this thread.

Addicts aren't "ignoring medical advice." They are sick.

People screwing without birth control is not the same as someone living with a deadly illness.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Ruby,

Addiction to opiates is a very powerful disease. It is not a choice. When they are overdosing their lives are in danger just like a person having a heart attack. it isn't up to YOU to decide whose life is more valuable, even though you have here...on this thread.

Addicts may be sick, but they are not all mentally ill. They have the power to help themselves by checking into rehab. And if they refuse, and there is one ambulance for 2 situations, then I will pick the bread winner, mother and baby every time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1479702127|4100963 said:
The CB and I have each made donations to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name -- as have 46,000 other Americans: http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/11/18/24699873/mike-pence-makes-46000-donations-to-planned-parenthood

Thank you so much for the link DeeJay. I will be making my donation tomorrow to Planned Parenthood and it will definitely be in Mike Pence's name. Thank you.

Ruby, I hope you can see how ridicules it is to say women have an abortion instead of using birth control. I'm guessing you are getting your information from Fox News.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1479774296|4101240 said:
Ruby,

Addicts may be sick, but they are not all mentally ill. They have the power to help themselves by checking into rehab. And if they refuse, and there is one ambulance for 2 situations, then I will pick the bread winner, mother and baby every time.
Addiction is classified as a mental illness.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...ental-illnesses/drug-addiction-mental-illness

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1479785264|4101283 said:
Dee*Jay|1479702127|4100963 said:
The CB and I have each made donations to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name -- as have 46,000 other Americans: http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/11/18/24699873/mike-pence-makes-46000-donations-to-planned-parenthood

Thank you so much for the link DeeJay. I will be making my donation tomorrow to Planned Parenthood and it will definitely be in Mike Pence's name. Thank you.

Ruby, I hope you can see how ridicules it is to say women have an abortion instead of using birth control. I'm guessing you are getting your information from Fox News.

First off do not presume to know where I get my news.

And how would you explain woman who have had multiple abortions?

And ridiculous is sending another of those notes which even others here have admitted will end up in the circular file.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1479786780|4101290 said:
Ruby,

Addiction is classified as a mental illness.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...ental-illnesses/drug-addiction-mental-illness

So are you saying that addicts have a mental illness and therefore are a danger to themselves and others?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby: Addiction is a mental illness. I am not sure how you made the leap from someone saying that addiction is a mental illness to,
So are you saying that addicts have a mental illness and therefore are a danger to themselves and others?
Mental illness does not equal a danger to themselves and others, it just means mental illness.

As for your other statements
And how would you explain woman who have had multiple abortions?

And ridiculous is sending another of those notes which even others here have admitted will end up in the circular file.

There are many ways to "explain" women who have multiple abortions. The idea that there are people who "use" abortion as birth control is ridiculous and untrue. You can look up statistics on why women have abortions, how many people have had them, etc, and none of it points to anyone using it instead of birth control.

Also, it is not ridiculous to send donations to a cause that someone believes in. It's an added benefit for those donations to come with notes that might frustrate someone who is notorious for trying to remove women's rights. You don't have to make donations, but we will happily continue to do so.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Mental illness does not equal a danger to themselves and others, it just means mental illness.

So are they or aren't they able to make informed decisions.

And if so, and they refuse to seek help, and when resources are limited, does that mean ambulances should tie up services and not be available for other emergencies.

I am asking because this happened in my family.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Also, it is not ridiculous to send donations to a cause that someone believes in. It's an added benefit for those donations to come with notes that might frustrate someone who is notorious for trying to remove women's rights. You don't have to make donations, but we will happily continue to do so.

No one is telling you where to donate your money.

But how do you frustrate someone who after the first few most likely told his staff to just get rid of them.

And taxpayers pay enough for government. Why would you want to tie up staff with this ridiculous exercise.

Trump could be a great President or fall flat on his face. But why would any sensible person want him to fail? Because that means we as a nation fail as well. And this is not a safe time to do so.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby,

Check into rehab? I don't think those who are addicted may necessarily have the money to do so. Cost of heroin is much cheaper.

http://addictionblog.org/FAQ/costs/how-much-does-addiction-treatment-cost/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results