shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany or Tacori setting?? ...oh, the decisions!! :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there, Pricescopers!

I need some help deciding on a setting for my upcoming engagement. I have a GIA 2 ct round, I, SI1, Triple X. The choices are as follows:

A) Classic Tiffany 6 prong, probably Vatche U113

Pros:
Classic, will never go out of style, get to change up with different bands, focus is all on the diamond, not very expensive (about 2K), durable

Cons:
Plain, LOTS of women have very similar settings, not very "blingy," worried I will long for more diamonds...

B) Tacori 2525rd

Pros:
Gorgeous! Very different, very few women will share the same setting, show-stopping blingy setting, halo makes my 2 ct looks like a 3 ct -- which is ALWAYS GOOD!

Cons: VERY EXPENSIVE (about 7-8K), not easy to pair with different bands, worried I will tire of the halo or that it will simply go out of style, lots of pave diamonds and prongs to keep intact

So... Please give me your opinions, as I'm starting to feel frustrated. I am worried to make the wrong decision, because my future husband is not a big fan of any kind of changing or upgrade.

Thanks guys! I will try to post some pics if some of you are not familiar with either setting. :)
Maybe you all can help me break this down and I can make a decision, as I have looked at hundreds of settings and these are the FINAL TWO! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! :)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I'm debating similarly-- Halo vs plain solitaire.

Love the sleek, clean, and elegant solitaire, but like you, it is so common and not very "unique"-- which could also be a good thing as well. It will stay classic forever. And neither I, nor SO, wants to change the ring. Plus, solitairse seem to make my heart flutter IRL. :love: Even poorly constructed settings.

Halos are just sooo yummy! I looove them here on PS, but haven't seen one I loved IRL, but I suspect it's because I've never seen a well-made one like those here on PS. I can only imagine what they would look like IRL :love:

For you, I took a peak at the 2525, and although I have never seen a real picture, I am liking the Tiffany style more IMO -- especially for a 2 ct! :naughty:

darren

Rough_Rock
msop04|1326335754|3100881 said:
Hey there, Pricescopers!

I need some help deciding on a setting for my upcoming engagement. I have a GIA 2 ct round, I, SI1, Triple X. The choices are as follows:

A) Classic Tiffany 6 prong, probably Vatche U113

Pros:
Classic, will never go out of style, get to change up with different bands, focus is all on the diamond, not very expensive (about 2K), durable

Cons:
Plain, LOTS of women have very similar settings, not very "blingy," worried I will long for more diamonds...

B) Tacori 2525rd

Pros:
Gorgeous! Very different, very few women will share the same setting, show-stopping blingy setting, halo makes my 2 ct looks like a 3 ct -- which is ALWAYS GOOD!

Cons: VERY EXPENSIVE (about 7-8K), not easy to pair with different bands, worried I will tire of the halo or that it will simply go out of style, lots of pave diamonds and prongs to keep intact

So... Please give me your opinions, as I'm starting to feel frustrated. I am worried to make the wrong decision, because my future husband is not a big fan of any kind of changing or upgrade.

Thanks guys! I will try to post some pics if some of you are not familiar with either setting. :)
Maybe you all can help me break this down and I can make a decision, as I have looked at hundreds of settings and these are the FINAL TWO! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Both rings are made by two great companies and offer different styles. Both are great quality and have the finest finishes.

While the U-113 is less "blingy" you can place almost any wedding band next to it. You may be able to have Vatche modify the setting and have them add pave/channel side stones on the shank. Without diamonds on the setting you can add a nice diamond eternity band that will add a bit of flare to the set. You even can place a wedding band on either side of the engagement ring. With the money that you save over the Tacori you can use that towards a wedding band.

The Tacori engagement ring has a bit more to it, has the Tacori name and those are both reflected in the price. This ring would have a matching wedding band to go with it. If you decided not to get the Tacori matching wedding band you will have to find something that matches the style of the engagement ring and you can be somewhat limited with what you can use.

As far as the Tacori going "out of style", as long as you are in love with it, it won't go out of style.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
When I started my upgrade process for my e-ring, I had the same dilemma. Originally I was leaning towards a blingy halo (after all-who doesn't want more bling :naughty: ). As I went looking for my new ring and came across PS, I feel in love with the idea of a solitaire. I like the classic look while being able to change out wedding bands whenever I want.

When I settled on getting a solitaire, I looked for a unique solitaire, like this one-in (fact I am most likely going to be purchasing this setting myself). From the top, it looks like a regular solitaire, but from the side it is more unique.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Solitaire/12794553_8DFVw7#!i=822099885&k=AiLM5

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried both on with a diamond similar in size? I can't speak for others, but for me, while there was a lot of waffling around while I was just looking at pictures, when I tried my setting on, I knew it looked best, even next to the other top contenders. If you haven't, which you don't mention in your post, definitely find a store that carries Tacori and try that one on and then a plain solitaire.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the solitaire 'cos I'm practical, and I don't want to be blinglicious all the time. A 2 ct RB looks substantial and elegant by itself. If you want more bling, you can add a ton of different bands. When you want less bling, just wear a plain band.

I think 7-8K is a huge commitment on any setting, and being long-time PSer, I have seen very few "forever" settings. Most people here have changed their setting several times.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1326347984|3101021 said:
I vote for the solitaire 'cos I'm practical, and I don't want to be blinglicious all the time. A 2 ct RB looks substantial and elegant by itself. If you want more bling, you can add a ton of different bands. When you want less bling, just wear a plain band.

I think 7-8K is a huge commitment on any setting, and being long-time PSer, I have seen very few "forever" settings. Most people here have changed their setting several times.

Agree, agree, agree.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful setting, armywife! I will most definitely check out that website. Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is solitaire for your "first" engagement ring. Trust me when I say, there will be upgrades! :D

With a solitaire, you have a lot of WB flexibility and can add stackers as well, or a guard that also has diamonds, which can change the look to a 3 stone when you feel like it.

I'd go solitaire but go with what you love - you will be wearing it all the time, so you have to love it when you look at it, not have regrets "if only I'd...."

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1326345305|3100992 said:
Have you tried both on with a diamond similar in size? I can't speak for others, but for me, while there was a lot of waffling around while I was just looking at pictures, when I tried my setting on, I knew it looked best, even next to the other top contenders. If you haven't, which you don't mention in your post, definitely find a store that carries Tacori and try that one on and then a plain solitaire.

I have tried on a generic six prong solitaire in a 2 ct (not the U113 though), but the only samples in the Tacori are made with 1.25 (7mm) stones... :rolleyes:

I have had three different Jewelers call Tacori on different occasions to send the same setting with a stone closer to 8mm, but each time they say they do not have one... :confused: Two of the three jewelers are on a first name basis with a Tacori rep, so I guess they really don't have the sample to send...

I am so confused... Wish I could try them on and do a side by side comparison...

Thanks for all the advise and opinions! Keep them coming! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1326343303|3100970 said:
When I started my upgrade process for my e-ring, I had the same dilemma. Originally I was leaning towards a blingy halo (after all-who doesn't want more bling :naughty: ). As I went looking for my new ring and came across PS, I feel in love with the idea of a solitaire. I like the classic look while being able to change out wedding bands whenever I want.

When I settled on getting a solitaire, I looked for a unique solitaire, like this one-in (fact I am most likely going to be purchasing this setting myself). From the top, it looks like a regular solitaire, but from the side it is more unique.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Julia-Solitaire/12794553_8DFVw7#!i=822099885&k=AiLM5

Gorgeous setting! I will check out that site! Thanks for the advice! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1326347984|3101021 said:

Very good point, indeed! Thanks so much for helping me to put this all in perspective!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1326340941|3100948 said:
I'm debating similarly-- Halo vs plain solitaire.

Love the sleek, clean, and elegant solitaire, but like you, it is so common and not very "unique"-- which could also be a good thing as well. It will stay classic forever. And neither I, nor SO, wants to change the ring. Plus, solitairse seem to make my heart flutter IRL. :love: Even poorly constructed settings.

Halos are just sooo yummy! I looove them here on PS, but haven't seen one I loved IRL, but I suspect it's because I've never seen a well-made one like those here on PS. I can only imagine what they would look like IRL :love:

For you, I took a peak at the 2525, and although I have never seen a real picture, I am liking the Tiffany style more IMO -- especially for a 2 ct! :naughty:

Here is a real life photo with a 7mm solitaire... It's the one towards the bottom, with a group of four photos of different angles below it... Let me know what you think!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tacori-2525rd7.158342/[/URL]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE -- change of plan!

Ok, so I had the jeweler order the Tacori in an 8mm stone... AND HATED IT! Thanks for telling me to look at it IRL - it totally changed the asthetic of the ring and looked really gaudy, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Soooo... with that being said, I decided that in order to get the larger diamond look that I really wanted, I had to do just that -- so I upgraded from a 2 ct (8.0mm) stone to a 2.43 (8.7mm) stone! Yay!! So excited! :love:

I also found another setting (by JB Star) that I really, REALLY loved. :love: :love:

This is it with my actual stone "loosely set" in it, so I could see what it would look like -- man, I LOVE my jeweler!! (also, I'm going to have it made to cut the price from about 6K to 3K - yes!!)

I would love to know your opinions on this setting. Also, I'm thinking of changing the split shank to a single one, or maybe even single shank that opens up to a split closer to the top of the ring... thoughts?? (oh, and please don't look at my ragged manicure -- yikes!!) :shock:

Then there is always the Vatche U-113 solitaire too... hmmm... oh the decisions!! Help PS'ers!!

JB Star - hand 1.jpg

JB Star - close up profile.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look on your hand, but that is a lot of prong set pave. It looks like it would catch on stuff. I guess it would depend on your
lifestyle and how much you are ok with leaving your ring at home. My ring has a lot of pave but a different kind. The stones are set down lower on the three sides so I haven't had any problems with it. It is a beautiful ring and really looks lovely on you!

I really love the cushion halo on your ring. It looks like it fits the stone perfectly!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you just have to decide how much you want to wear your ring. You are going to have to be SUPER careful with a pave ring like that. As in, wear it when you are going out somewhere but take it off for everything else. I would only consider having that ring made by someone who is outstanding with pave, such as Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, etc. May as well buy the JB Star, as well. You kind of get what you pay for. I think it may be a little top heavy and spin a lot if it has a single shank, so I'd probably keep it as it is.

I think if you have an active lifestyle and plan to have children, the solitaire would be FAR more wearable and always in style. Like you and others have said, you can have more than one band to go with it for times you want bling and times you don't. Plus, when you just want a change, you can add a new band rather than having to reset your diamond. A 2.4 ct. diamond is very substantial without a halo. I adore Tacori (although not that particular setting on a large diamond), but I will get antique style rings (or pave rings) for special occasion right hand rings instead. I want the wedding set to be classic and elegant and go with everything. That's why I chose what I did.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you found a setting you love! For me, it was ALL about the setting. I rather have a smaller diamond with a setting I adore and like you I wanted something unique and original. Seeing things IRL is key. I lucked out b/c I had no idea what my setting would look like with an EC. It was a leap of faith. Glad you realized that both settings were right for you and you found one you love. Congrats!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a stunning setting!!! And running stone to boot :) I don't think you can go wrong- its really up to your personal taste an lifestyle. If you go with the Vatche setting you can always bling it up with a blingy eternity band :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are sooo right about the prong pave... I had the very same conversation with my jeweler about possible periodic maintenance with this type setting (accepting that a stone may come out here and there with the accidental "abuse" it will inevitably receive). One good thing about Diamonds Direct is that they will service my ring forever. I can also trade up to a new setting, earrings, ANYTHING using 100% of the cost of anything I've spent --can you say, "upgrade??!!" :naughty: I get my nails fixed periodically when one chips... same deal. I know it might become a pain, but that just life with beautiful things, right?? =)

That being said, I don't wear my jewelry all the time -- the minute I get home from work, I always take off all my jewelry and never EVER cook, shower, apply skin/hair products, or sleep with any of it on (feels like it smothers me). As far as work, I am a pharmacist in a retail atmosphere, so the only obstacle would be flu season, where ANY ring (except maybe a bezel set stone set VERY low) will catch on gloves when giving vaccinations. :roll:

The more I think about it, I feel like I will go with the JB Star design... it just makes my heart sing!!! :love: ...and if I decide later on down the road that it's just too much maintenance, then I guess I can always have it set with a gorgeous colored stone as a RHR!

It took a lot to convince my FH to let me even consider this setting, so I don't wanna rock the boat! :naughty: I know that I will probably change the setting in the future, but for right now (with no kids...), I wanna get all I can -- just in case the hubbs decides later that a new setting is out of the question. :angryfire:

Who knows... maybe if I decide to go "simpler" later with a solitaire, I can secretly "upgrade" my stone?? LOL :naughty:

Thanks again for your advice!! I knew I could trust the PS peeps!! I'll definitely let everyone know what I decide, as I hope to be getting my ring in the next 2-3 months!! Yay!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1331562071|3146805 said:
Well, you just have to decide how much you want to wear your ring. You are going to have to be SUPER careful with a pave ring like that. As in, wear it when you are going out somewhere but take it off for everything else. I would only consider having that ring made by someone who is outstanding with pave, such as Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, etc. May as well buy the JB Star, as well. You kind of get what you pay for. I think it may be a little top heavy and spin a lot if it has a single shank, so I'd probably keep it as it is.

I think if you have an active lifestyle and plan to have children, the solitaire would be FAR more wearable and always in style. Like you and others have said, you can have more than one band to go with it for times you want bling and times you don't. Plus, when you just want a change, you can add a new band rather than having to reset your diamond. A 2.4 ct. diamond is very substantial without a halo. I adore Tacori (although not that particular setting on a large diamond), but I will get antique style rings (or pave rings) for special occasion right hand rings instead. I want the wedding set to be classic and elegant and go with everything. That's why I chose what I did.

Thanks for the advice, diamondseeker!!

As far as the setting, I am having the head jeweler at Diamonds Direct (in their NC office) make it (but ONLY because he has already made the exact ring for someone already and I've seen photos of his work -- truly amazing!! It's a dead ringer!! ...also, I can get the white gold alloy of my choice!!)

Also, I agree about the the ring being top-heavy with a single shank -- you are so right, and I hadn't even thought about that!! Thanks!! I'll let everyone know what I decide, as I plan to get my ring in the next 2-3 months! Yay!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1331565124|3146837 said:
I am glad you found a setting you love! For me, it was ALL about the setting. I rather have a smaller diamond with a setting I adore and like you I wanted something unique and original. Seeing things IRL is key. I lucked out b/c I had no idea what my setting would look like with an EC. It was a leap of faith. Glad you realized that both settings were right for you and you found one you love. Congrats!

And your setting is absolutely STUNNING -- very unique and blingy!!! <--- what we both love, I see!! Your setting MAKES your ring!! (and BTW, your stone's not small either, honey!!) :naughty:

I think I've decided to go with what I love and try to maintain the ring the best I can. I can always change it later to something more "sturdy.." :confused: Oh well, that being said, both settings I've chosen are beautiful, but I think I am a setting girl too! Although I really LOVE a solitaire IRL (partly bc most of the halos I've seen IRL are just atrocious), I just notice that my eyes tend to go straight to the "sparkly" and "blingy" when I'm looking at someone else's ring... and I KNOW I'd get bored with a solitaire really quickly... sometimes ya just have to go with what grabs your eye!

I tried on both rings at the jeweler's the last time I was in there to try to decide. My jeweler had me walk in front of a mirror wearing each ring and wanted to know my reaction. It was the BLING that won -- HANDS DOWN!! :appl:

His exact words to me where (jokingly, of course), "Now, when you walk back in here in a month or so and talk about maybe changing to a solitaire... I'm gonna remind you about how crazy you'd be to change it, since you love the JBS so much... besides, with a solitaire, EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER HAS IT!!" :lol:

He was just being silly, of course, as his wife has the Vatche setting! Ha! He just knows my taste and has seen the look in my eyes as I always come back to the JB Star! ...such a good judge of my taste! :mrgreen:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1331568762|3146880 said:
I think it's a stunning setting!!! And running stone to boot :) I don't think you can go wrong- its really up to your personal taste an lifestyle. If you go with the Vatche setting you can always bling it up with a blingy eternity band :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I think the JB Star may have won out!! :love:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Diamonds Direct is a great store with a huge selection. I still remember the first time I saw my setting. My heart stopped.

gammygam

Shiny_Rock
JB Star makes amazing pave. Their rings truly are high end work. Of course, I'm a little biased. :love: :naughty:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gammygam|1331578175|3147016 said:
JB Star makes amazing pave. Their rings truly are high end work. Of course, I'm a little biased. :love: :naughty:

Wowza, Gams!! Your ring is GORGEOUS!!! ...makes me want a pear, hmmmmm... :bigsmile: I'm super excited to get my ring... Since I'm having Diamonds Direct make the setting, I may change a thing or two about it, but not much -- I love it so! :love: :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1331571335|3146919 said:
That being said, I don't wear my jewelry all the time -- the minute I get home from work, I always take off all my jewelry and never EVER cook, shower, apply skin/hair products, or sleep with any of it on (feels like it smothers me). As far as work, I am a pharmacist in a retail atmosphere, so the only obstacle would be flu season, where ANY ring (except maybe a bezel set stone set VERY low) will catch on gloves when giving vaccinations. :roll:

excited to see a fellow pharmacist here! (okay technically I am still in training...about a year and 2 months to go!!! :D) The JB Star is absolutely gorgeous...can't wait to see the finished product on you!! Tacoris are gorgeous (on my wishlist as well) but I would imagine that particular setting would be overboard on a beautiful 2 carat so I'm glad you went with the halo!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
excited to see a fellow pharmacist here! (okay technically I am still in training...about a year and 2 months to go!!! :D) The JB Star is absolutely gorgeous...can't wait to see the finished product on you!! Tacoris are gorgeous (on my wishlist as well) but I would imagine that particular setting would be overboard on a beautiful 2 carat so I'm glad you went with the halo![/quote]

Thanks! I visited my jeweler today at DD and we are gonna "tweak" the design a bit -- hopefully I'll be able to show it within the next two months or so! :bigsmile: And congrats to you for having only ONE MORE YEAR of pharmacy school to go!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
excited to see a fellow pharmacist here! (okay technically I am still in training...about a year and 2 months to go!!! :D) The JB Star is absolutely gorgeous...can't wait to see the finished product on you!! Tacoris are gorgeous (on my wishlist as well) but I would imagine that particular setting would be overboard on a beautiful 2 carat so I'm glad you went with the halo![/quote]

Thanks! I visited my jeweler today at DD and we are gonna "tweak" the design a bit -- hopefully I'll be able to show it within the next two months or so! :bigsmile: And congrats to you for having only ONE MORE YEAR of pharmacy school to go!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey PS'ers!! Just a little update for you... wow, who knew this would be such a long, tedious process??! But I know it will be worth the wait!

So I'm moving forward with my setting design! I have decided on the following:

I am keeping the halo/head of the JB Star design that I posted earlier, only with very slightly larger diamonds in the halo.

JB%20Star%20-%20hand%201.jpg

JB%20Star%20-%20close%20up%20profile.jpg

The update is for the band/shank portion of the ring... I found a GORGEOUS setting my Christopher Designs. If you can imagine the the CD's head/halo is removed and the JBS's was added, then VOILA! -- MY RING!!

(...couldn't get the photo to save for some reason, but I've posted the link to the photos)

http://www.arthursjewelers.com/CHRISTOPHER-DESIGNS-18KW-.48TW-DIAMOND-RING/WRE-10753/

Christopher Designs is working on the CAD as we speak -- so excited!! Let me know what you think!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results