shape
carat
color
clarity

This is my first Orchid re-bloom ever!..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yetanotherdancyguy.gif
...I usually buy 4 Orchid plants each year, and for the past 6 yrs I have had managed to kills every plant before they have a chance to re-bloom again, so last yr I decided to buy a fluorescent light unit to place above the plants and leave the lights on for 8 hrs each day.I can't find a good location facing east for them get enough morning sun. The 4 plants from last yr are still alive and healthy... :appl:

photo66.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: That's a beautiful bloom! Congratulations!

I'm afraid I'm Dr. Death to orchids. ;(

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH has tried for three years on one plant, two one a second and almost a one year on a third... No new blooms! In fact I told him when he wasn't looking I would throw them away for him. :devil: poor man! I guess we need the light!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful DF!!!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Great job, DF. I've got a friend who's killed more orchids than you could count. Her place isn't bright or humid enough, but hope springs eternal, I guess.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful - I've never had ANY luck getting an orchid to bloom again!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contrats!

I've only had one orchid re-bloom.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats, DF!

I got tired of taking care of mine and gave them away about a month ago to a friend who has way too many orchids already.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is really pretty! How satisfying :appl:

I can't get my African violets to bloom....any advice?!?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.. :wavey: hoping for the other 3 plants to re-bloom soon. Now that I have more confidence I should go to the orchid farm and pick up a few more plants. I haven't gone out to the farm this year since the 4 plants are still alive from last year. .. :praise: :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
before you buy more plants remember that you can also divide some orchids [thereby getting more plants] when you repot.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405057721|3711194 said:
before you buy more plants remember that you can also divide some orchids [thereby getting more plants] when you repot.
MZ
I'm not going to mess around now since they are doing well. Orchids had never survived this long under my care... :lol: anyhow, if I were to buy more plants it would be of a different species and colors.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!

My husband is very impressed that I haven't yet killed the orchid he got me on our anniversary. I'm sure it'll die before our next anniversary though - I'm horrible with plants!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, I remember a prior thread in which you said you managed to kill your orchids....

there was one that I sort of regretted giving away because it bloomed several times a year...but I hate repotting and it was in dire need of that. the blooms were getting smaller as well because of that. it had sent out lots of starters and couldn't sit flat any more because of being too heavy on one side. it also had sent out lots of air roots.

I think your grow light did the trick.

I'm enjoying the less need for frequent watering of the house plants!

enjoy, DF! they really do come in so many gorgeous color combos. I like the purple in your picture!

attached is a picture of the one I regret giving away...before I let it get overgrown:

amm_photos_1546.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Good work, I have two orchids that I have had for years and never have they re-bloomed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, DF. :appl: Yes, this particular variety wants LOTS of strong diffused light so your lamp did the trick. After all, they thrive in the wild with nothing more than rainwater, equatorial sunlight and rotting tree bark.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405061324|3711214 said:
yes, I remember a prior thread in which you said you managed to kill your orchids....

there was one that I sort of regretted giving away because it bloomed several times a year...but I hate repotting and it was in dire need of that. the blooms were getting smaller as well because of that. it had sent out lots of starters and couldn't sit flat any more because of being too heavy on one side. it also had sent out lots of air roots.

I think your grow light did the trick.

I'm enjoying the less need for frequent watering of the house plants!

enjoy, DF! they really do come in so many gorgeous color combos. I like the purple in your picture!

attached is a picture of the one I regret giving away...before I let it get overgrown:
MZ
That is a beautiful orchid !.. :clap:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1405073191|3711259 said:
Good work, I have two orchids that I have had for years and never have they re-bloomed.
All the so called experts say to keep your orchids behind a window facing east.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, DF......I may ask the recipient of my orchid to give me a start.......it really did bloom at least 4 times a year with 5 blooms each time. sigh.

so, what are you going to get next? I should mention that not all orchids want the same environment...perhaps the same type of orchid but in other colors now that you've got the conditions right for this one?

that purple is divine.....I'm thinking an amethyst in that color would also be divine!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405098271|3711439 said:
thanks, DF......I may ask the recipient of my orchid to give me a start.......it really did bloom at least 4 times a year with 5 blooms each time. sigh.

so, what are you going to get next? I should mention that not all orchids want the same environment...perhaps the same type of orchid but in other colors now that you've got the conditions right for this one?

that purple is divine.....I'm thinking an amethyst in that color would also be divine!
I don't know, I guess whatever looks good when we get to the farm. I hope the other three plants will bloom soon so that we know what we have before going shopping for more plants.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought two more plants yesterday this one is blooming..

_20433.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Well done DF!

I have a few phalaenopsis that rebloom every year, but they are easy orchids.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty DF! I have one that has 4 stocks of blooms on it! Its one happy plant. My other 2 are just finishing up for the year.
I'll have to post next time that are all in bloom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results