shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of eternity band worn alone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
The winds of change are blowing again. I need voices of reason and experience to help me decide. Here''s my dilemma: I have 2 ctw earring studs I love but would love to upgrade to larger, and an engagement 1.3 solitaire ering with match. wedding band. I''d love a larger solitaire stone in the ring, but seeing as I do not want to trade in my earrings for it, that''s just not gonna happen (and have 2 children nearing college). Bottom line is that I am thinking that I could trade in my present earrings and solitaire diamond together for an eternity band (3 ctw, 18 stones) and larger 3 ctw earrings. (An eternity ring I also think would rid me of the size of the solitaire demons.) I''m wondering how many of you would consider/do wear just an eternity band for their "wedding set." I''m thinking simple elegance here. I''d lose a some $$ by not wearing the current wedding set but I really think this is the way I want it to all come together. Any thoughts?

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like the idea of a large eternity band worn alone... very classy!! That way, you get the comfort of a band, but you still get the "bling factor". HTH
2.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 8:59:08 PM
Author: bling*diva*
~~I like the idea of a large eternity band worn alone... very classy!! That way, you get the comfort of a band, but you still get the ''bling factor''. HTH
2.gif
Thanks bling*diva* very much. I really value everyone''s input. You all have such beautiful pieces.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
would you be paying the difference to get all of these?

regardless, i think its a FABULOUS idea.
I LOVE the idea of the ring. For me personally, I would never be able to pull off such large earrings.. but you seem to want them bigger, and if its possible.. I would do it all at once.. you might as well !!
but the eternity band sounds yummy!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 9:08:48 PM
Author: sparkly_stars
would you be paying the difference to get all of these?

regardless, i think its a FABULOUS idea.
I LOVE the idea of the ring. For me personally, I would never be able to pull off such large earrings.. but you seem to want them bigger, and if its possible.. I would do it all at once.. you might as well !!
but the eternity band sounds yummy!
Well, that''s the tempting part of this in that it works out nearly perfectly-i.e., the terms are that I spend $1 more than what I''m trading. I''d spend, but not a lot. Dh will go with whatever, but he thinks I shouldn''t be so quick to change-especially since it involves not using the present setting. I figure I have other jewelry I don''t wear in my jewelry box and I just want to settle on something elegant, classy, and blingy. Sigh.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I wear an eternity band as my wedding band and it's all by itself on my finger! I moved my engagement ring to my right hand because it simply didn't work with the eternity. I love the look of a stand alone substantial eternity ring. Mine has 20 ten pointers for a total of 2 carats and my finger is a size 4 so it looks pretty blingy to me. I think you can't go wrong if you do it! Keep us posted, I'd love to see those 3 carat earrings too!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.38 shared prong eternity band that I wear alone a lot. I think it''s a great look. Go for it!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:01:44 PM
Author: curlygirl
I wear an eternity band as my wedding band and it''s all by itself on my finger! I moved my engagement ring to my right hand because it simply didn''t work with the eternity. I love the look of a stand alone substantial eternity ring. Mine has 20 ten pointers for a total of 2 carats and my finger is a size 4 so it looks pretty blingy to me. I think you can''t go wrong if you do it! Keep us posted, I''d love to see those 3 carat earrings too!!!
I''ve been trying to search for info in the archives here and from what I can tell, most people find them comfortable, right? I''d love to see a picture of yours.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 10:10:28 PM
Author: kaleigh
I have a 3.38 shared prong eternity band that I wear alone a lot. I think it''s a great look. Go for it!!!
I used your saying the other day at work, "piece of cake and a candle." I love it. Please-could you post a hand shot of yours? I haven''t seen "mine" yet-just a picture, and it''s hard to tell how it would look in reality on a hand. This is really great that I have people who I can talk to who really understand.... thanks Kaleigh.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Now Julia there is certainly nothing wrong with the 2 ctw earrings and 1.3 carat solitaire that you already have, but personally I LOVE the idea of going with even bigger earrings and a blingy eternity ring! It shows that you have the confidence to be different from the crowd and yet you still have impressive eye catching jewelry. I think it would be a classy thing to do that defines your own special style.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh there is a pic of it somewhere on here. I can''t post pics. Lame I know but you can go on www.facetscollection.com that''s where I got it from. The one in my avatar is a much smaller one, just about a carat. Glad you like my tag line, makes sense to me. But was floored when the guy at the restaurant said it to me. LIKE lady what do you want, a piece of cake and a candle should do it!!! LOL!!
3.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 11:26:27 PM
Author: Sundial
Now Julia there is certainly nothing wrong with the 2 ctw earrings and 1.3 carat solitaire that you already have, but personally I LOVE the idea of going with even bigger earrings and a blingy eternity ring! It shows that you have the confidence to be different from the crowd and yet you still have impressive eye catching jewelry. I think it would be a classy thing to do that defines your own special style.
I know I know-I should be happy as is. It''s just that I am finally feeling like I''m coming into my own-My hair is now long enough to put up and I have an appt with that plastic surg. Tues to talk about getting my ears in shape sans a few holes. It all just feels healthy to me. (This is where dh rolls eyes.)

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 11:28:06 PM
Author: kaleigh
Gosh there is a pic of it somewhere on here. I can''t post pics. Lame I know but you can go on www.facetscollection.com that''s where I got it from. The one in my avatar is a much smaller one, just about a carat. Glad you like my tag line, makes sense to me. But was floored when the guy at the restaurant said it to me. LIKE lady what do you want, a piece of cake and a candle should do it!!! LOL!!
3.gif
I love looking at the facets site. I just wish someone on those sites would put in hands with the rings. That''s why I love watching qvc so much-they show how things look on people. I figure if I''m giving up my solitaire, it''s gotta be a good substitute. The terms of the trade for things beyond solitaires in rings and earrings is that you have to pay double to get credit again down the road. In other words, I have a lot more playing room with solitaires, while I''ve got em. The earring studs will keep their value (something dh is happy about). Well, the eternity is on it''s way to arrive Wednesday at the place where I will go view it. Tomorrow I''ll call in the earrings to view, as well. Hopefully, it will be a match made in heaven.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 11:56:50 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I agree.. I like it too. Had I given it more thought.. I''d have probably gotten an enormous bling eternity band.. lol
31.gif
This is great. Thank you so much. I''m getting excited about it, albeit cautious.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
justjulia,

Since you asked for our opinions, I am gonna give mine honestly. Please don''t take this the wrong way or anything. I think your EC e-ring set is gorgeous (I guess I am a tad biased) and 2cttw studs are VERY substantial. I can''t help but recall the thread where you introduced yourself and gave us a little background on how you had changed ring shapes/styles/sizes.. was it like 13 times? Personally I would just worry that this too is another dot on the line and I''d ask myself deep down - is this really going to make me happy for years to come? Since you have always had SOME type of e-ring with a nice sized center through all the trades and changes I can''t see being happy with an eternity band alone, lovely as they are, for very long. Only you know what''s right for you, but I just would caution to think long-term about this, as diamonds are an expensive hobby and you have other more serious priorities ahead right now. Best of luck.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 8:55:54 PM
Author: sarita
justjulia,

Since you asked for our opinions, I am gonna give mine honestly. Please don''t take this the wrong way or anything. I think your EC e-ring set is gorgeous (I guess I am a tad biased) and 2cttw studs are VERY substantial. I can''t help but recall the thread where you introduced yourself and gave us a little background on how you had changed ring shapes/styles/sizes.. was it like 13 times? Personally I would just worry that this too is another dot on the line and I''d ask myself deep down - is this really going to make me happy for years to come? Since you have always had SOME type of e-ring with a nice sized center through all the trades and changes I can''t see being happy with an eternity band alone, lovely as they are, for very long. Only you know what''s right for you, but I just would caution to think long-term about this, as diamonds are an expensive hobby and you have other more serious priorities ahead right now. Best of luck.
Thanks Sarita for giving me an honest, heartfelt reply. The whole trade will cost me only $10. I have yet to see the ring and make a final decision. I did not get (or want) an ering until we were married 16 years and I''m making up for lost time, lol. Diamonds are totally not sentimental to me. It''s just jewelry after all. I''ve had more fun using that original money put down for my first rock than should be legal-always trading up with small amounts. When I''ve had a big rock, I''ve found myself turning it around in certain situations, since my friends are from all walks of life. When it''s been smaller, I''ve worried that someone will be sizing me up. With an eternity, I am wanting to get rid of all that. I''m hoping it''s a more understated "I''ve arrived" kind of thing. I''ve endured a hysterectomy this year (tmi?) and have come through some big hurdles. This is for me the beginning of another chapter of my life, and I''m marking it with an eternity band. I''ll probably be way too embarassed to tell any of you if I don''t like it, lol. So, thank you again for your comments. jj

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Julia you can''t leave us hanging! We will support you no matter what you choose!!!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
JJ, i''m just tuning in. I *love* your idea of the eternity band solo and I''ve been considering something similar: trading my solitaire for an et-band..mainly because my standards for solitaires have become increasingly larger and ridiculous!
19.gif

i just want to find a beautiful eternityband - settle down and relax until that blessed 5ct-ish day in the future. LOL!

i agree that the eternity can be such an elegant option. i also have hopes of shaking off those pesky size/shrinkage/upgrade devils.
41.gif
LOL. i had a 1ct that ''shrank'' too fast as a ring diamond and is now part of an earring set. So, with that problem solved , i''m again looking for a way out of the Incredible Shrinking ''e-ring'' Syndrome.

I''ve realized that i''m not a ''trade it til you make it''(serial upgrades) gal... that''s too much like work & being constantly ridden by those shrinkydink demons.

i feel that a beautiful e-band represents a dignified sidestep of sorts.

i''m really looking forward to seeing what you decide!
37.gif
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I have one fairly wide eternity band that has to be worn alone. It's made of graduated marquise cuts with round brilliants on the outside edges. My other eternity band is made of round brilliants in a shared prong setting (each stone about 16 points), and I often wear it alone. I love the way it looks when I wear it with my tennis bracelet - they compliment each other better when I don't wear another ring with the eternity band.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JJ- Did you ever get a chance to see the eternity band and earrings? Would love to know what you decided - it is an intriguing idea. . .

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
You''re considering parting with your solitaire ring
39.gif

Are you 100% sure?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Blod
35.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 9:19:09 PM
Author: justjulia
I did not get (or want) an ering until we were married 16 years and I''m making up for lost time, lol. Diamonds are totally not sentimental to me. It''s just jewelry after all. I''ve had more fun using that original money put down for my first rock than should be legal-always trading up with small amounts. .......This is for me the beginning of another chapter of my life, and I''m marking it with an eternity band. I''ll probably be way too embarassed to tell any of you if I don''t like it, lol. So, thank you again for your comments. jj

A few thoughts:

1. Don''t be embaressed to tell us if you don''t like it, OK? This is a frivolous subject on a frivolous message board and, by definition, IT''S ALL GOOD.

2. I relate to you sentiment, that diamonds are not sentimental to you. Me neither.

3. Having fun by trading up is something I have done as well. When you have a good vendor with generous policies, it is not at all like you are "losing" money. And if a trip to the jewler results in some fun (sometimes a distraction from the other necessary responsibilities & difficulties in life), then YAY.

4. As much as I love the concept of what you want to do, I just don''t think I would find a 3 carat e-ring to be extremely comfortable. I have one with 10 pointers and honestly, I don''t wear it all the time because it is not as comfortable as a smooth metal comfort fit band. Same thing with earrings that size. I''d be afraid they would strech out the holes in my ears.
HAVING SAID THAT, who cares about comfort? I LOVE the look you are describing.

Hope you come back and tell us what you decided!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look you are describing. Knowing that you like to mix it up (ie. upgrade history and such) what about getting a fake band for awhile and seeing if you really like it? I know the fake stuff isn''t near as nice as the good stuff, but it would give you some variety and a chance to see if you like it before taking the plunge. The other thing is, how partial are you to your current solitaire? What if you got a band, didn''t love it, but your solitaire stone was gone. Would you be upset? That would be a reason to try a fake first. Just a thought!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
You guys are so sweet. I was so surprised to log on and see all these messages. Well, here''s the skinny: the eternity band was ordered. I waited anxiously for about a week, but when the shipment came into the store, it was not in it. A call or two later, and it was determined that where it came from had a size larger and decided not to send it, knowing it was not the right size (but did not communicate this to our store). It has to be special ordered from the manufacturer, and will take a week and 3 days more. I won''t make the deal officially til I''ve tried it on, and then I have 30 days to change my mind from there. A pair of 3 ctw earrings was sent in and I did receive those a couple of days ago. I''ve been wearing them and trying to feel right in them. My dh says they look great and he likes them. It''s funny; I thought 2ctw was just shy of just right, and the 3ctw may be a tad too big, sooooooooo, dh called in this am and located a 2.5ctw pair, that I am thinking of trying. Dh says after walking around in the 3ctw''s that I will think anything smaller will not be ok anymore. Ha to that. I really think I will know the right ones when I see them. I mean, if they have them in stock, why not? I''ve googled like crazy trying to find what 3ctw 18 stone ring would look like to no avail (hand shot). I keep reading how some people do not find them comfortable, but some do. Heaven help me. I still love the concept of simplicity though. Y''all have to understand that I''m 45 and married 22 years-not a spring chick. I could carry off this stuff, I just need to decide what and where to carry it off. I haven''t been wearing a solitaire for 2 weeks now, and I do not miss it. It''s almost like a relief not to have it on. I like the idea of the eternity band with a tennis bracelet-I need to see what size these stones are before I can do that, I think. I have a good amt of left over trade credit, after earrings and eternity band, to get a bracelet. If I trade down to the 2.5ctw earrings, there''ll even be more credit. Ahhh, decisions. I think it all pivots on whether I love the eternity comfort and look. Thanks for checking on me. I''m still baking.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ok, an aha moment here. I went to look at everyone''s tennis bracelets. I saw the thread where CFlutist shows her .33 next to her .16 stones on her wrist- I called my dh in to see it. I could FINALLY get a grip on the possible size of the stones in the eternity band. If I''m doing my math correctly, it''s between (18 stones x .16 = 2.88) and (18 stones x .17 = 3.06), right? All I know at this point is that there are 18 stones and it equals 3 ctw. That was illuminating! I decided I''d better keep the 3ctw earrings to balance the look (lol). Does anyone else have some pictures of what .16 or .17 rocks look like on the body? Thanks.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Oh your math is right! I am embaressed I did a quick calculation and I thought it would be 33 pointers all the way around! 17-18 points sounds JUST RIGHT!!
When I wear my 10 pointers alone, it has a dainty look, not what you are going for.
Maybe the 2.5 earrings will do it and you can have the bracelet, too!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take a picture of the 3.0 earrings on the ear? I would love to see them. I have two carat earrings and while I could maybe go the 2.5 I understand feeling the 3 ct. would be just a bit too big. Having said that, however, I''ve never seen 3 ct. on so maybe I''d feel differently too. We all have different size and shaped lobes so that factors into it too.

The eternity ring sounds nice but you really can''t make a decision until you see it and feel it on your hand. The ring and the bracelet would be a beautiful combination - if you can live without an ering. Be sure to keep us updated on your quest and good luck - I hope it all turns out the way you want!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, first an apology for the awful photo-did the best I could here on the east coast with the sun going down... poor dh..out there trying to make me happy. I don''t know if you can see from this pic very well-but on me I just thing 2.5 would be my sweet spot. Another incentive is that 4ctw half-bezel tennis bracelet that would just slide in to fill that void between 2.5 and 3-man I''m bad.
These 3ctw also have that "nail head" or I forgot the name-thing going on-or so I keep thinking. You know, when the sprawl is biiiiiiiiig. I catch it in certain lighting. I am my own worst enemy. lol lol Dh still likes em. So, do I keep these and grow into them, or go for the slightly smaller? If I know me, it''ll be the 2.5ers. Big is great, but I''m just not sure it''s exactly right yet. I remember Sundial saying something about trying on all kinds of sizes and liking 2.5 best (for her). I swear I''ll get this right, eventually.

3ctw ear.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to have all of the holes in your ears repaired and then start again with a new piercing? They are very low on your lobe but if you re-pierce them and they were center of your lobe they would probably be fine. They don''t look as big as I thought they would but the 2.5 would probably be a beautiful look too - and of course the added bonus is the bracelet! I just thought I''d say no way they''re too big but I can''t honestly say that. Do you feel comfortable with them now that you''ve had some time or do they still feel just a bit large? Guess you''ll just have to give the 2.5 a try too. You are fortunate that you are able to try all of these different sizes! Let us know what you think about the 2.5 and kudos to hubby for helping us out!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Julia, it looks terrific! I think it''s huge but in an awesome way. What if you downgraded to the 2.5ctw and get DSS? JK. I think either way, you''re going to end up with an awesome look. I''m very excited for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results