carat
color
clarity

Things to do in Honolulu or island of Oahu

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date
D

Deactivated member 42515

So the hubz and I and a bunch of friends shall be going to Hawaii this month for a wedding.

I've never been and however much I google things to do in Hawaii, all I get is parasailing. So! Anyone that's been there know some great thing to do?

We are going to go visit the Pearl Harbor area, try to go surfing and ride some ATVs around the area but other than that... drawing a blank. Is there anything super super cool we should do? Thanks!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Re: Things to do in Honolulu or island of Oahu

North shore for shrimp trucks and turtle watching!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Go hiking, snorkeling, lounge on the beaches!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pear Harbor
Dole pineapple plant was yummy
Diamond Head (touristy but beautiful!)
the zoo was lots of fun
I can't remember the name, but there was an evening market my grandmother took us to because she loved it so much -- all sorts of great booths including pearl jewelry and other such stuff.

ETA: 20 years since I went, so this may all be a bit out dated!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

Polynesian Cultural Center! Even my sister who only wanted to lay on the beach loved it when we went!

If you go to the North Shore like FK suggested, stop by Matsumotos for shaved ice!

We also went to the flea market at the Aloha Bowl Stadium...it was fun to poke around, and it's where I got most of my souvenirs.

It's been 11 years since I was there, but these were the things I remebered the most! Enjoy your trip, YT!!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

vc10um|1375671105|3496686 said:
Polynesian Cultural Center! Even my sister who only wanted to lay on the beach loved it when we went!

If you go to the North Shore like FK suggested, stop by Matsumotos for shaved ice!

We also went to the flea market at the Aloha Bowl Stadium...it was fun to poke around, and it's where I got most of my souvenirs.

It's been 11 years since I was there, but these were the things I remebered the most! Enjoy your trip, YT!!!

Beat me to all these suggestions! I dream about Matsumotos! The North Shore is really my favorite for beaches, too- you can find all sorts of little pull offs and parks and beaches just off the highway that will be empty of other people.

And if you go to the PCC, buy tickets in advance and spring for the big luau dinner, they sell out day off. And leave room for a pineapple desert during the Night Show. The show is still Ha: Breath of Life, which I saw a few years ago and it's incredible!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks you guys!!!

I am for sure gonna check out the Polynesian center. The website is down for tickets so I'm gonna book tomorrow! And planning on going to a bunch of places in North shore! The wedding is at Kualoa Ranch so I'm headed that way! Thanks!

Anything else I should do!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Go surfing in the monster waves of the North Shore! :o :o :o
I went to Oahu long ago and those waves are my most vivid memory.
No, I didn't surf. :errrr:

screen_shot_2013-08-05_at_12.png

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

If you have time, Kailua Bay has beautiful turquoise waters. If you are staying in Honolulu, take the 61 and stop at Pali Lookout for a picture. It's pretty! Go early because Kailua gets windy around noon, and wind+sand = nobody's happy. While you're up there, get some macadamia banana pancakes at Boots & Kimo's. Lines are usually horrendous, but you can order it to go. The mac nut sauce is amazing. Look at it!! http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/boot...7fNKy-VEMuNfKsXPuC_R3Q#7fNKy-VEMuNfKsXPuC_R3Q

My friends love Bubbies for their mochi ice cream, but I'm personally not a fan of mochi so I got a regular ice cream. Yum! http://www.yelp.com/biz/bubbies-homemade-ice-cream-and-desserts-honolulu#query:mochi

I love poke and will order buckets of that stuff from Foodland. I've tried specialty stores, but my inexperienced palate can't justify the $$$ difference. The spicy one is usually my favorite.

Do you know where you are staying yet?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

have fun!!!

It has been some time since i was in Hawaii, but some of the names of places that others have suggested seem familiar!

ENJOY the wedding and Hawaii!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I was there about 3 years ago. If you see CoCo's Curry House definitely stop in. It is a Japanese style curry but it is delic! I swear they put crack in it. They are all over Japan but there is 1 in Honolulu.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did a summer session at U Hawai'i and got around by public transportation. I recommend getting a bus tix/pass for the period you'll be there. There are two circle island bus routes - that start from Ala Moana mall. People would just get off wherever they liked, and then waited at the bus stop to be picked up at a later time. You don't need to pay an arm and a leg for a circle island tour at those kiosks in Waikiki.

And DO pick up a "I got lei'd in Hawai'i" t-shirt. :D

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

NewShiny|1375718088|3496960 said:
Go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay - it's amazing. Get there very early or late in the afternoon though, if the parking lot is full you won't be able to stay.

http://www.gohawaii.com/oahu/regions-neighborhoods/honolulu/hanauma-bay

After I had fledged, my family lived in Honolulu for 2 years--father was a USAF officer & stationed there--Hanauma Bay is great! Bring frozen peas, the fish love them! Ditto parking, it is a only a 15 or so minute drive from Honolulu & easily can be done in a couple - 3 hours.

You'll have fun no matter what you choose--
sarahb

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock

ForteKitty|1375689212|3496775 said:
If you have time, Kailua Bay has beautiful turquoise waters. If you are staying in Honolulu, take the 61 and stop at Pali Lookout for a picture. It's pretty! Go early because Kailua gets windy around noon, and wind+sand = nobody's happy. While you're up there, get some macadamia banana pancakes at Boots & Kimo's. Lines are usually horrendous, but you can order it to go. The mac nut sauce is amazing. Look at it!! http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/boot...7fNKy-VEMuNfKsXPuC_R3Q#7fNKy-VEMuNfKsXPuC_R3Q

My friends love Bubbies for their mochi ice cream, but I'm personally not a fan of mochi so I got a regular ice cream. Yum! http://www.yelp.com/biz/bubbies-homemade-ice-cream-and-desserts-honolulu#query:mochi

I love poke and will order buckets of that stuff from Foodland. I've tried specialty stores, but my inexperienced palate can't justify the $$$ difference. The spicy one is usually my favorite.

Agreed! Kailua/Lanikai is a must seeeeee!

Astra

Rough_Rock

Halona Blowhole, or If you are a fan of Magnum P.I. you can always visit Robin's Nest (house) :mrgreen:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ForteKitty|1375668829|3496665 said:
North shore for shrimp trucks and turtle watching!

Exactly what I was going to suggest

D

Deactivated member 42515

ForteKitty|1375689212|3496775 said:

I wanted to stay at like the Sheraton but everyone wanted to go cheap... and we had a hard time finding a beach house in Honolulu. The only one we liked was $1k a night! hahaha so.... we are staying at Aqua Bamboo... looks sheisty from outside. We will see!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Thanks everyone!!!! I booked the Polynesian Cultural Center dinner and show. We are also going snorkeling In Hanauma Bay and also another place. SO EXCITED! THANKS EVERYONE!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results