shape
carat
color
clarity

The customer is always....wrong

amc80

Ideal_Rock
As a follow-up to my Uverse vs. DirecTV thread...Everything got hooked up yesterday and so far, so good. The picture quality is fine, so yay there. I called today to cancel my DirecTV and was told the early cancellation fee would be $80....which is twice as much as I was told last week. The agent was very nice and told me I should go online and send a message requesting the taped call, which I did. I am now being told that calls are recorded at random and for training purposes only, so I don't have any access to it. They also reiterated that the cancellation fee is $20 a month and I had four months left on my contract. When I called last week, I was just given the fee of $40. For all I know it was $10 a month...or $20 and I had two months...I mean who really knows how much time they have left on their contracts? I didn't and that's why I called to see what the fee would be.

I'm already hooked up with Uverse. I don't want to go back to DirecTV (especially after this...oh, but they did say that if I changed my mind and went back to them they wouldn't charge me the $80...um, no). Have any of you dealt with this sort of thing? Am I screwed? Had they initially told me it was $80 to cancel I probably would have kept my service with them for a few more months. I cancelled based on the information I received from them. Grrr.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what does your paper copy of the contract say?

I tend to find that the first line customer service representatives are typically the least knowledgeable and often make mistakes. Unless you recorded the call (with appropriate notifications) you are bound to the terms of your initial contract - or any changes you agreed to between then and now.

I don't know about you - but I have a whole box of those paper contracts. It has paid off handsomely over the years. Note I also take the half an hour to 2 hours to read them before I actually sign anything. That has paid off very very well in that I have often either renegotiated some term (perhaps crossing it out, with their initials); or chosen not to buy some things where the contract has too many hidden charges or "snags" waiting to catch you later.

Have a great day,

Perry

amc80

Ideal_Rock
perry said:
So what does your paper copy of the contract say? I tend to find that the first line customer service representatives are typically the least knowledgeable and often make mistakes. Unless you recorded the call (with appropriate notifications) you are bound to the terms of your initial contract - or any changes you agreed to between then and now. I don't know about you - but I have a whole box of those paper contracts. It has paid off handsomely over the years. Note I also take the half an hour to 2 hours to read them before I actually sign anything. That has paid off very very well in that I have often either renegotiated some term (perhaps crossing it out, with their initials); or chosen not to buy some things where the contract has too many hidden charges or "snags" waiting to catch you later. Have a great day, Perry

The lady who quoted me the wrong amount was in the retention department, so I would have thought she would know the correct cancellation fee! My mistake I guess. I guess my whole point is that they should honor what they told me. It's not rally the $40, it's the point.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very frustrating when you are given misinformation by people who are supposed to know.

I find that sometimes it depends on whom you speak with and if you call back you might be able to find a supervisor who will honor the original $40 quote. Though the cancellation fee is $20 a month and you have 4 months left because you were originally quoted a total of $40 if you speak with the right person in charge they just might honor what you were mistakenly quoted. Worth another call.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn't really matter what a support person tells you, it goes by your contact. I had Direct Tv and it's usually the remaining months on your 2year contract. It's extremely frustrating because support people will basically lie. I've even written down names for reference but they're so large they have no way of verifying anything and it's almost never documented on their end. I've had Dish and Diect tv and there's no difference in customer service. I hated that you have to have an HD receiver, that we had to order for additional rooms at over $80 a piece but they needed to be returned when you cancel. It's not worth the high cost to watch tv for me, I've gotten back into reading and download a few shows for free.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results