shape
carat
color
clarity

Tax on Soda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I arrived at work today to see a note on the soda machine that said "Due to the new tax on sodas, we now have to charge more money". What do you think? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Do you think it will work?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Personally I think it''s a great idea although a bit of a bugger when I forget my water bottle at home and now have to pay extra for the one in the machine simply for the fact that water is NOT bad for you. Oh well.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think in the long run it''ll be a good thing. I know people in MA are losing their patience with the governor because he''s enacting (or trying to) lots of taxes on stupid things like candy and soda.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I can''t really see this working, if they taxed something I really loved like coffee I would still buy it, what''s a few cents everyday? Look at how many people still smoke and that tax is ridiculous.

I''m not sure whether or not I like this idea, it''s seems a little "big brother" to me to try to sway my beverage preferences. I''m not sure what the government''s hoping to accomplish with this more people drinking diet soda? It''s not like aspertame''s healthy for you! It''s pretty much switching one evil for another.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure how I feel about taxing food items with HFCS or added sugars.

I'm a pretty healthy eater in general and don't drink soda myself, so it doesn't directly effect me.

They keep raising the prices on cigarettes, and people still smoke. People will always drink soda, regardless of price.

ETA: I think people won't stop their unhealthy habits until there is a huge benefit such as lowing health insurance costs to "healthier people". I'm sure even then, people will still observe unhealthy eating/lifestyle habits.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Not going to stop me from buying soda unless it goes up so high I can''t justify affording it. But if I ever stop drinking soda completely, it''ll be more likely for health than money.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
They are taxing diet sodas as well. The tax is almost a bit ridiculous. Our soda bottles went from 1 dollar to 1.25 and from 55 cents to 60 cents lol.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea.

And smurfy - diet is still very bad for you!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:47:12 PM
Author: dragonfly411
I think it''s a great idea.

And smurfy - diet is still very bad for you!

I agree! DH and I haven''t had any soda for 2 months now. We''ve only been drinking water and occasionally crystal light, lots of tea as well :) Ok I caved one day at the movies I had a small soda but it was for valentine''s day and I didn''t have any chocolate or candy that day!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:43:35 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
They are taxing diet sodas as well. The tax is almost a bit ridiculous. Our soda bottles went from 1 dollar to 1.25 and from 55 cents to 60 cents lol.
At least that''s fair then, in NY they only want to tax non-diet drinks which makes no sense to me since diet drinks are bad for you as well.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it cured the budget defecit issue in Michigan, I''d say tax it tax it tax it!

And legalize pot and prositution and tax that while you''re at it!
11.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:53:44 PM
Author: elledizzy5
If it cured the budget defecit issue in Michigan, I'd say tax it tax it tax it!

And legalize pot and prositution and tax that while you're at it!
11.gif

Elle have you been to colorado lately? lol jk :) Pot is so close to legalized it's nuts!
Colorado marijuana laws are progressive, as the state has moved to decriminalize petty charges, institute Colorado marijuana dispensaries for medical patients, institute medical marijuana laws, and create diversion programs for first time offenders.

In short: it's pretty easy to obtain and get away with having possession of marijuana. Just about any joe schmoe can get a medical marijuana card which allows them to possess a certain amount at any time. Also I have heard if you have 8 ounces or less on your person that you cannot get in trouble for it. Now don't think I'm some huge pothead, it's just that it's in the newspaper every other day! lol

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
If it cured the budget defecit issue in Michigan, I''d say tax it tax it tax it!

11.gif

woo hoo!

Although, marijuana is practically legal in CO anyways.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:56:13 PM

11.gif

Elle have you been to colorado lately? lol jk :) Pot is so close to legalized it''s nuts!
Colorado marijuana laws are progressive, as the state has moved to decriminalize petty charges, institute Colorado marijuana dispensaries for medical patients, institute medical marijuana laws, and create diversion programs for first time offenders.

In short: it''s pretty easy to obtain and get away with having possession of marijuana. Just about any joe schmoe can get a medical marijuana card which allows them to possess a certain amount at any time. Also I have heard if you have 8 ounces or less on your person that you cannot get in trouble for it. Now don''t think I''m such huge pothead, it''s just that it''s in the newspaper every other day! lol
Where I live its pretty lax as well, but its not legal so we''re not taxing it! Sad face!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
When it becomes legal i will have a pot brownie and a soda to boot, why not lol

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:58:46 PM

Date: 2/18/2010 3:56:13 PM

11.gif

Elle have you been to colorado lately? lol jk :) Pot is so close to legalized it''s nuts!

In short: it''s pretty easy to obtain and get away with having possession of marijuana. Just about any joe schmoe can get a medical marijuana card which allows them to possess a certain amount at any time. Also I have heard if you have 8 ounces or less on your person that you cannot get in trouble for it. Now don''t think I''m such huge pothead, it''s just that it''s in the newspaper every other day! lol
Where I live its pretty lax as well, but its not legal so we''re not taxing it! Sad face!
It''s a mess right now. There are too many hands in the cookie jar, so to speak, not including the government.

Smurf-Cheers!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:59:32 PM
When it becomes legal i will have a pot brownie and a soda to boot, why not lol
Mmmm...

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I''m all for it.

If it discourages people from buying soda, that''s great. If it raises money for bankrupt states (which are in some part stressed by having to pay for the medical bills of people suffering from diabetes complications and other issues linked to HFCS soda), that''s great too. Either way it''s a win.

I think it''s a little silly that the vending machine is charging you increased prices for water -- what, they can''t put in variable prices? Candy and chip machines seem to manage that just fine -- but bottled water is an absurdity too, so I can''t get too worked up about a de facto tax on that one either.

(and yes, 100% in favor of legalizing and taxing marijuana and prostitutes too.
2.gif
)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 4:05:37 PM
Author: Liane
I''m all for it.

If it discourages people from buying soda, that''s great. If it raises money for bankrupt states (which are in some part stressed by having to pay for the medical bills of people suffering from diabetes complications and other issues linked to HFCS soda), that''s great too. Either way it''s a win.

I think it''s a little silly that the vending machine is charging you increased prices for water -- what, they can''t put in variable prices? Candy and chip machines seem to manage that just fine -- but bottled water is an absurdity too, so I can''t get too worked up about a de facto tax on that one either.

(and yes, 100% in favor of legalizing and taxing marijuana and prostitutes too.
2.gif
)

You would think they could do this but my company is going out of business soon so I guess it''s an expense they don''t want to spare lol

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:29:55 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I''m not sure how I feel about taxing food items with HFCS or added sugars.

I''m a pretty healthy eater in general and don''t drink soda myself, so it doesn''t directly effect me.

They keep raising the prices on cigarettes, and people still smoke. People will always drink soda, regardless of price.

ETA: I think people won''t stop their unhealthy habits until there is a huge benefit such as lowing health insurance costs to ''healthier people''. I''m sure even then, people will still observe unhealthy eating/lifestyle habits.
Exactly, so let''s at least make some money off ''em!
22.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I almost never drink soda so it doesn't affect me much, but I would say I'm for it AS LONG AS the tax is used to offset healthcare costs or some other relevant, beneficial program. I don't agree with taxes for the sake of taxing, I don't think it measurably changes behavior, and it would really bother me if the money just goes into a general fund and gets squandered on something random. But if something tangible and good comes out of it (and the government administers it properly), I'm down with it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm another one of the opinion that even if it doesn't stop people from buying soda, or at least buying less of it, then at least if the taxes are used for health costs then it's still a win.

And you know, people do still buy cigarettes, but I've talked to many unemployed/low income patients who are primarily motivated to quit because of the expense. They succeed to varying degrees, but that truly is a strong motivator for many people especially when you point out how much it would save them every year.

Also cigarettes are addictive, so it's a lot harder to quit. I know people say they are addicted to their Coca Cola, but it's not quite the same thing :razz: And most of these families aren't buying soda for the caffeine purpose, so they are probably pretty functional without it (can't always say the same for someone who depends on morning coffee)
I know that when I shop, I'll just buy whatever diet soda is on sale even though it's a 10 cent difference. Maybe they're just hoping people will buy the Diet rather than spend the extra quarter on the sugary version, and just get used to that.

The better answer is of course, more education about why sugary drinks are not a suitable thing to chug on a daily basis. Maybe they will put this tax towards that goal.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think most people will still buy soda, no matter the tax (look at cigarettes), but at least it''s more money for the government that doesn''t come out of my pocket as a non-soda buyer
2.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:21:55 PM
Personally I think it''s a great idea although a bit of a bugger when I forget my water bottle at home and now have to pay extra for the one in the machine simply for the fact that water is NOT bad for you. Oh well.

Don''t you have access to a cup and running water at work? Personally I think bottled water should be taxed, if only to compensate for all the environmental issues caused by packaging and transporting a resource that is generally so readily available already.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 10:52:43 PM
Author: softly softly
Date: 2/18/2010 3:21:55 PM

Don''t you have access to a cup and running water at work? Personally I think bottled water should be taxed, if only to compensate for all the environmental issues caused by packaging and transporting a resource that is generally so readily available already.

This is a great point! I HATE seeing people use plastic bottle after plastic bottle. I understand that sometimes it is necessary; ie: you forget your bottle at home like Smurfy. I would prob be SOL too and have to buy water. Not only are water bottles great for the environment, IMHO, they make you drink more water.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
any targeted taxes are bogus and should be illegal.
It is not the governments right to use taxes to try and shape society.

First they came for the sin tax money.
I did not complain because I don't drink/smoke/gamble
Then they came for the pop tax money.
I didn't not complain because I do not drink pop
Then they set a toilet paper tax and no one else cared but me as they said haha they got you!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a problem with a soda tax. No one needs to drink soda to live, and if you see the type of damage it causes to people''s health (look at "Mountain Dew mouth" in Appalachia, and soaring rates of obesity & type 2 diabetes everywhere else) I think that a tax used to subsidize health care costs is fine.

When I was growing up, junk foods like soda, chips, candy bars, and McDonalds were doled out as monthly treats, and they didn''t make up the bulk of a child''s diet, the way they do today. I''m on board with any incentive that will get parents to feed their kids less crap than they do now.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind the fact that state governments tax soda, nor do I mind paying that tax when I want to drink soda. (By the way, even diet soda is bad for you - it may not be linked to obesity, but the acid wears away your teeth and it has been linked to osteoporosis). Perhaps the money will be used to pay for something we can all benefit from, like healthcare or schools.

And Karl, with all due respect, I think it''s distasteful to liken a tax on soda or cigarettes to the Nazi rise to power, even if you''re just joking.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t drink soda so its neither here nor there for me BUT I think a lot of people will buy soda even with the tax and not think about it. The very poor will have less money. But then comes the question: if you are very poor, why are you drinking anything other than water?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results