shape
carat
color
clarity

Sister Wives on TLC

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm watching a clip of The Today Show, and they interviewed the family. Personally, i find this more disturbing than katy perry showing a lil cleavage in Sesame Street. If i had kids, i wouldn't want them to watch it.

Without getting into religion or their faith, what does everyone think of this show?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Won't watch it. HBO's "Big Love" was enough for me a couple of years ago. I can deal when it's fiction, I cannot deal when it's reality because I just don't condone that lifestyle.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
grosses me out big time. therefore, I WILL watch it at least once. for the same reasons i watch stuff like "1000 ways to die"

honestly, the duggars gross me out too but sometimes i get sucked into that mess.

:wavey:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I really want to watch it! I'm completely fascinated by the whole idea because it's the opposite of how I think about a relationship. I really hope they focus on the why and how the women think about their relationship, and not just the "exciting" parts.

E B

Ideal_Rock
How to discuss this without touching on the religious aspect....

princesss said:
I really want to watch it! I'm completely fascinated by the whole idea because it's the opposite of how I think about a relationship. I really hope they focus on the why and how the women think about their relationship, and not just the "exciting" parts.

Agreed. They're consenting adults, so I find it less 'blegh' and more fascinating. I do wonder how the children feel, and if their needs are being met. I thought I read they have 13 children and I'm guessing they have no plans to stop, so I hope the tiny ones are getting what they need, esp. emotionally, considering their family structure is very different than their peers'. They do have three 'moms' around, which is more than the Duggars can provide.

I'll have to watch it to form a strong opinion either way.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As long as everyone in the marriage agrees, then it is nobody else's problem. I would not be a part of such a relationship, but I defend their right to live the way the want to.

I admit I am curious as to how the dynamics between the women and their husband work. However, I doubt "reality" tv is going to show anything resembling reality.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder how or if they file taxes.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I hadn't heard about this show, so I took a glance at the TLC website to see what the deal is. Honestly, I'm surprised that this family is willing to go on national TV to show off their lifestyle, since polygamy is illegal in all 50 states. I'm curious about whether the man is technically married to any of the women (if so, I'd guess wife #1?) or if they are all "spiritual marriages." I'm also interested in whether they will face any legal -- not to mention social -- repercussions after exposing themselves this way.

Like some other posters, I don't really care what consenting adults choose to do in the privacy of their own homes. When kids are involved, though, it's a different story...even if the children in this family are happy with their home life, it can't be healthy for them to have to constantly hide their lifestyle from friends and classmates.

Curiosities aside, I will not be watching the show -- but I don't watch any of these type of shows (i.e. the Duggars, Jon and Kate, Giuliana and Bill, etc).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was an assumption that everyone would know what, "Sister Wives" on TLC was about. I am not even sure what "TLC" is (a television channel?). Is sister wives about a polygamous relationship? I derived that-or thought I did-from reading the thread. Since there was one reference to religion, I am assuming that this is not simply a modern variation on the ménage a trois. (I mean, Warren Buffet, his secretary, and his wife were known to send out a Christmas card together. He didn't bother to divorce his wife.)

On the other hand, the Mormons eschew polygamy now. So I assume that if some group is claiming to base this on religion, it is claiming ties to the Mormons of yore?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia said:
I hadn't heard about this show, so I took a glance at the TLC website to see what the deal is.

Now that was the smart move!

Deb

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
davi_el_mejor said:

That is very judgemental. You may not agree with their lifestyle, but is there any evidence that they are cheating on taxes? It seems to me like quite a stretch, as though the fact that they have an unconventional lifestyle implies that they do not follow the law.

Octavia - poligamy refers to oficial mariage, not living arrangements. If the husband has only one oficial wife and the others are just living together, then it is quite legal. Socially, I do think they will get a lot of reactions and I hope they have thought it through, specially the effects it might have on the children.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
davi_el_mejor said:

That is very judgemental. You may not agree with their lifestyle, but is there any evidence that they are cheating on taxes? It seems to me like quite a stretch, as though the fact that they have an unconventional lifestyle implies that they do not follow the law.

Octavia - poligamy refers to oficial mariage, not living arrangements. If the husband has only one oficial wife and the others are just living together, then it is quite legal. Socially, I do think they will get a lot of reactions and I hope they have thought it through, specially the effects it might have on the children.

Not necessarily. In some states, even "purporting to marry" a person when you know you're already married is considered bigamy. It doesn't matter whether the subsequent marriages are official or not -- just by telling people and/or acting as though you're married to multiple people, you're breaking the law in those states. So yes, there could be legal consequences, depending on where this family lives. I'm not assuming that they don't try to be good, law-abiding citizens in their everyday lives, and I'm not hoping that they get in trouble. I was thinking more about the potential consequences they might not have even realized would exist -- hopefully TLC's lawyers have fully explored this before airing the show.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
davi_el_mejor said:

"Judgmental" or not, it is a valid question. (If a wife has no income, she doesn't have to file taxes.) I'm also curious if they receive federal aid.

I have not, nor will not, watch the show. But, I sure hope some sort of investigative law enforcement agency is.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that families come in all different variations, and there is no reason that a family like that cannot be really happy and functioning, they have the same shot at it as any other family I think. I plan to watch it, I am curious.

Some days I would not mind having another wife around to share the work.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
It looks really interesting but I just don't care enough about their story to actually sit down and watch it on TV. They're polygamists and in my eyes there are far more strange things in this world I'd rather learn about. I never got into Kate plus 8 or the duggars or any other family show for that matter. I bet if you filmed any random family for a few months you could make it into a show.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I'm definitely planning to watch it. It looks interesting! I'm curious to see how the relationships between the husband and his wives work. I wonder if he's more attached to one wife (sexually/emotionally) than the other... Do they others notice? How do they feel? etc. I'm also curious to see how the husband relates to all the children. There are tons of them!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I think that families come in all different variations, and there is no reason that a family like that cannot be really happy and functioning, they have the same shot at it as any other family I think. I plan to watch it, I am curious.

Some days I would not mind having another wife around to share the work.

Religion aside, I wouldn't mind sharing husband/work either :) I'll be watching!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh, I heard people talking about this show, can't say I really care one way or another. They are consenting adults, if they want to air their private lives on TV (probably to their own detriment, it's a reality tv show after all), it's their choice, as is their polyamorous preferences as long as it's legal.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sha said:
I'm definitely planning to watch it. It looks interesting! I'm curious to see how the relationships between the husband and his wives work. I wonder if he's more attached to one wife (sexually/emotionally) than the other... Do they others notice? How do they feel? etc. I'm also curious to see how the husband relates to all the children. There are tons of them!
does he get a day off out of the week?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like watching Big Love, don't really care about Sister Wives one way or the other. It does not affect me in any way whatsoever, so I pass no judgements on the subject material. I wonder what kind of reception a show about Brother Husbands might have, lol. I can't even imagine that. That would be a twist. :devil:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra said:
I wonder what kind of reception a show about Brother Husbands might have, lol. I can't even imagine that. That would be a twist. :devil:

In France I don't think there would be a problem. Watch, "César and Rosalie", one of my favorite movies of all times! It actually reminds me of a period in my own life.

Deb/AGBF

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I do wonder how and if their children are affected, since they said they go to public schools. The first wife (and only legal wife) says she came from a polygamist family, not sure about the rest. The husband says he did not come from a polygamist family.

While I respect people's right to choose how they want to live, knowing that my husband is dipping in multiple pots just grosses me out. Like he's the greedy spoiled kid who wants all the candy, and gets it!

Wonder if i would feel the same if the wives also have other husbands that live in the same house? That would be an interesting show.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Let me apologize. Who am I to judge these people's lives as consenting adults. My reaction to polygamy was based on the FLDS (Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints). Their views involve far less then consent and definitely not adults. WEtv does a show called "Secret Lives of Women" and they did an episode on the FLDS and three women who escaped a life of sexual torture.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't watched the show, but my first thought was that this could kinda be a great deal for women who
were not all that interested in a traditional marriage. I mean, they live in a great big house, have lots of other people to
share the work load, built in babysitters and playmates for the kids, they have the family they want but are not solely
responsible for satisfying the needs of a mate, plus most of them don't really seem to want to keep up to date with
hairstyles or fashion. So it a kinda, let yourself go, who cares kinda look. I see some positives to the lifestyle :wink2:

Not for me, I'm a traditional gal, like fashion and hairstyles, and enjoy my man. But I can kinda see another side....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty said:
While I respect people's right to choose how they want to live, knowing that my husband is dipping in multiple pots just grosses me out. Like he's the greedy spoiled kid who wants all the candy, and gets it!

ForteKitty-

It sounds as if you are coming from a point of view where the sex (dipping in multiple pots) is the only benefit to the arrangement and thus to you it (naturally) seems that the husband gets all the benefits. I would assume from this that you don't have the same latent homosexual needs that I think the women involved in this marriage have. I am not accusing them of being lesbians. I have no idea whatsoever if they engage in any sexual behavior with anyone other than their husband. I just think that their intense need for sisters shows a latent homosexuality. (As a Freudian, I think that all humans are homosexual to some extent. If we were not, we would not be able to love others of the same sex.)

Deb/AGBF

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks interesting, and my husband and I plan to watch the first airing this Sunday.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Sorry Deb, but i think Freud is full of it. I got kicked out of my class once for voicing my opinions, and my opinions haven't changed. I think we can love everyone without being sexually attracted to them.

in fact, i'm off to a bachelorette party later. i'm gonna ask the girls if they have any sexual feelings for me, since we all love each other as sisters. :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty said:
I got kicked out of my class once for voicing my opinions, and my opinions haven't changed. I think we can love everyone without being sexually attracted to them.

Well, there's a huge boost for academic freedom and open conversation! Who on earth would kick a student out of a class for voicing an opinion? It's counter-educational!!! I've been reading about Alexander the Great recently and it seems that Socrates taught Plato who taught Aristotle who was the tutor of Alexander the Great. Whatever the faults of Alexander the Great, he loved Greek literature. Surely the Socratic method on which our educational philosophy in the west is based is based on dialogue!!!

Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results